Wednesday

Two Weeks

It took at least an hour and five minutes to travel from Seoul to Jeju Island. Sungyeol, Myungsoo, and Zelo walked out of the airport and stood out on the sidewalk with their bags.
 

"Sir? May I inquire about this present situation?" Sungyeol nodded. "Why is our destination the magical Jeju Island?"
 

"I have something to show you two." Sungyeol merely answered, then started off. The two followed him.
 

.....

 

"Idiot! I told you to go there at night! Not in the morning!!" Dongwoo's friend yelled at Dongwoo. 
 

"Well. He said it was the Lee Mansion so Woohyun wouldn't be there. His last name is Nam." Dongwoo reasoned. His friend face palmed himself the massaged his temple and looked to the ground. 
 

"Okay. I give you two weeks. You'd better be done by then."
 

"But where do I find-"
 

"Find him yourself." He snapped, looking back up at Dongwoo. "Look. You're really good at this stuff and you're a good kid. So I'll double the pay. But only if it's done in the two weeks I give you. Understand?" Dongwoo slightly nodded then left and closed the door behind him. 
 

.....

 

The early light shone through the window and hit Woohyun's eyes. He slowly opened them and closed them again with a stretch. He sat up and rubbed his eyes, looking around the room with the unoccupied eye. He remembers that he didn't make it home last night and deeply sighs. He really wanted to study the tangent formula and such. He feels something warm beside him and looks down to see a sleeping Howon.

Howon had kicked his sheets down to the end of the bed and was hugging himself. Woohyun slightly chuckled and reached down to grab his covers but stopped when he saw the clock.

The blue and white clock showed that the time was seven thirty-two. He wanted to go back to sleep but he wanted to get home and study more. Suddenly Howon shivered and made Woohyun flinch.

Howon wiggled closer to Woohyun and snuggled into his thigh, making Woohyun silently chuckle. Sleeping was not going to work with this guy beside him. He scooted off the bed and turned back around to cover Howon with the blanket; Howon suddenly grabbed onto his wrist and opened his eyes lazily. 
 

"Don't go yet." Howon said. Woohyun pursed his lips together in consideration. He could stay for a little bit but would have to leave soon so he wouldn't get caught.

He bent his knees and laid his chin on the soft bed. He stared at Howon, who stared back, unable to hear anything Woohyun wanted to say. Howon broke the silence for Woohyun.

"Thank you again for helping me yesterday, Woohyun."
 

"How do you know my name?" Woohyun asked, receiving an emotionless expression from Howon. "Oh yeah. You can't hear me." Woohyun said to himself, then just smiled. 
 

.....

 

"This is a beautiful place but there's an even better place." Sungyeol said when they walked by a large waterfall. "And only I know where it is. It's secluded. I found it some time ago when I ran away from home. It's like paradise. There are also these bright feathered birds that fly over..." Sungyeol continued blabbering on as Zelo and Myungsoo walked beside him.

Zelo looked down at the water from the wooden bridge they were crossing. There were lots of people ranging from different ages with cameras, taking shots of everything they thought amused them. Zelo felt the cool misty breeze on his face and hands, smiling slightly in peace.

Myungsoo walked beside his best friend and looked up ahead where he could see tropical forest. He felt the cold piercing of the forced mist rising once it hit the body of water. He tuned in to Sungyeol's words once again. 
 

"It's going to be great, isn't it?!" Sungyeol exclaimed, thrilled every time he spoke of things like this. He glanced over at Zelo, who smiled and nodded, then at Myungsoo, who simply stared at him absentminded. Sungyeol halted and put his hands on his hips. 
 

"Myunggie." Zelo and Myungsoo stopped and looked at Sungyeol.
 

"Yes?" Myungsoo asked, expressionless. 
 

"What are you forgetting?" Sungyeol questioned.

Myungsoo looked to the ground in thought then looked back up and smiled brightly. Sungyeol pinched his cheek.

"Good job! Don't forget to smile again." Myungsoo nodded and kept his smile until they reached their destination, his face aching now.

They had gone off the trail an hour ago and Zelo hoped they weren't going to be eaten by a wild creature.

Sungyeol removed a huge banana leaf, revealing his surprise. 
 

.....

 

Howon's bangs fell across his face as he lie on his side, staring at Woohyun. Woohyun noticed how long Howon's hair was getting and wondered why he hadn't cut it. Woohyun looked at the clock.

It was almost eight now so he stood straight again. 
 

"I have to go." He said slowly, gesturing toward the window. Howon nodded and watched Woohyun climb onto the windowsill. He shut his eyes and let sleep take him once again.

Woohyun peered down but suddenly felt dizzy so he retreated back to the room. He noticed that Howon was asleep again and felt like he could use a haircut the more he looked at him.
 

"Oh." Woohyun went and grabbed his jacket, almost having forgotten it. He searched for his wallet then found it and pulled out a Nam Salon card. He propped it up in front of the clock then took a deep breath and on his fourth attempt, finally found the guts to climb down the tree.

Once he touched the grass, he made a run for it so no one would see him. 
 

.....

 

Dongwoo decided to go back to the Lee Mansion and try to find this Woohyun guy again. He was about to turn to the gate when someone ran into him. He fell on his rump and the other guy fell on his side. 
 

"I'm so sorry!" The guy apologized frantically as he stood and bowed ninety degrees. "I'll help you up." The guy suggested, holding out both hands to Dongwoo.

Dongwoo groaned and rejected the kind gesture. He stood by himself and massage his back side. The guy picked up his jacket then speed walked off. Dongwoo sneered as he watched him leave then noticed the guy dropped something. It seemed like a wallet so he picked it up and opened it.

He smirked when he pulled out the ID card. 
 

"Nam Woohyun." He shut the wallet and followed after Woohyun. 
 

.....

 

Sungyeol's surprise had Zelo's eyes widening ten times its normal size.

There was a small waterfall about fifteen feet tall and ten feet wide. A rainbow shone over and across the clear Caribbean-like water. The rich vegetation surrounding the scene blossomed bright varieties of flowers and roses. 
 

"You never fail to amaze me, sir." Sungyeol's smile slightly faded and he looked at Zelo. 
 

"What did you call me?"
 

"I called you sir, sir." Zelo repeated. 
 

"But I told you to call me Hyung. Not sir."
 

"I do have memory of those requests but your mother, Mrs. Lee suggested otherwise. She demanded I call you sir for the remaining time I stayed here with Howon in Korea." Sungyeol furrowed his brows.
 

"Call me Hyung. You don't have to do everything she tells you to, alright?" Zelo nodded hesitantly and looked down. Sungyeol patted his back. "Good." Then looked to his other side where Myungsoo should have been. Sungyeol looked up ahead and saw that Myungsoo was already ahead of them. He grabbed Zelo's jacket and pulled him along. "Come on."
 

.....

 

Woohyun had finally made it home and was starting to the back room when his mother pulled him aside. 
 

"Yes, mom?" Woohyun said. His mother seemed tense. 
 

"I need you to not go far anymore, alright? Stay in the city and if you're going out, make sure someone's with you." Woohyun blinked blankly. 
 

"Why?" His mother tip-toed to his ear, Woohyun leaning down a little to help. 
 

"It's that Chunji boy. He's been following me around everywhere and..." His mother hesitated for a moment. "I told him how I honestly felt. I said that I needed to provide money for you and help you go to school." His mother started bursting into tears. "Th-Then he said he'd get rid of you any way he could, Woohyun-ah." Ms. Nam started crying into Woohyun's chest. Woohyun wrapped his arms around his young mother. 
 

"Mom. We can't stay out here. Let's go to the back-"
 

"No, Honey. That's all I wanted to say." She sniffled and wiped her tears with the back of her hand. "Now go and study." Woohyun opened his mouth to protest. "I'll be fine." Woohyun shuts his mouth and pushes a smile then walks to the back. 
 

After a while, there is a ring from the bell on the front desk. Ms. Nam hurries over to make an appointment, thankful her eyes weren't still red. 
 

"Will that be all, sir?" Ms. Nam asked. Dongwoo shook his head then pointed to the back room with a finger. 
 

"Was that your son?" He asked. Ms. Nam hesitated but saw that Dongwoo was very young and could pose no threat so she answered. 
 

"Yes."
 

"Is he good?"
 

"You'll see for yourself next week." Dongwoo smiled appreciatively then stuck out a hand to Woohyun's mother. They shook hands and bowed before Dongwoo left. 
 

.....

 

"What?! Hang out right now?! I'm studying!!" Woohyun exclaimed through the phone after Sunggyu suggested they go to a toy store. Sunggyu winced on the other line and cleared his throat. 
 

"I really want to go~ Come on, Woohyun~"
 

"No! I'm studying for the rest of the day!" With that, he hung up then almost immediately felt guilty.

His guilt left when the door opened and annoyance set in. Sunggyu let go of the door knob and dragged a refraining Woohyun out the front door, receiving strange looks from everyone in the salon, even Ms. Nam. 
 

.....

 

Myungsoo bent his knees and skimmed his hand over the water ripples. He looked at his own reflection. Grandmama always loved places like this. 
 

*Flashback*
 

"Grandmama, hurry up!" Myungsoo ran ahead of her to their "secret" lake hidden by the tall green pine trees. 
 

"Slow down! I don't want you to trip." She said, jogging a couple feet behind him.

Myungsoo halted and turned around right in time to catch her in his arms. He lifted her and carried her bridal style all the way to the lake, all the while laughing and smiling freely. He collapsed onto the small sand bed after letting her off and panted. 
 

"You're so heavy." She smacked his chest. 
 

"I am not! You're just weak!" Myungsoo smiled widely and caught her again, smuggling her. "Stop it!" Myungsoo loosened his grip but as she attempted to get up, he held onto her. "Myungsoo~ Stop~" She whined.

Myungsoo gave her a peck on the cheek then let go but she didn't move, instead she stayed glued to him.

They both sighed and stared off at the large blue lake for a while until she spoke. 
 

"I love water. Especially waterfalls. They're so beautiful but mysterious. Kind of like you." Myungsoo kissed the top of her head. 
 

"Thanks, Grandmama."

"Stop calling me-"
 

*Present*
 

"Myunggie?" Sungyeol said, taping on the water in front of him to get his attention.

Myungsoo blinked and looked up at him. Sungyeol looked worried but shocked at the same time.

"You're crying." Myungsoo felt his cheeks and sure enough, hot tears streamed down his cheeks.

Zelo looked on worriedly as well for a stranger. Myungsoo blinked a couple more times, emptying salty tears into the fresh water, and stood. 
 

"Let's get going." He said. Sungyeol and Zelo looked at each other then back at Myungsoo.

There was a moment of silence. 
 

"Um. Okay...? Let's go then." Sungyeol said, swooping the air and taking the lead. 
 

.....

 

"This is Grown Up Toys!! Made specifically for babies and their daddies or mommies!!" Sunggyu announced as they stood before an adult items shop.

Woohyun pursed his lips together and glared at Sunggyu, who gave a nervous chuckle in return, just realizing what the shop actually sold. 
 

"What the heck are you thinking?!" Woohyun yelled, slightly smacking him in the forehead. Sunggyu grimaced and rubbed the red mark that was slowly growing where Woohyun hit him. 
 

"I was just..." Sunggyu pouted and looked to the shop beside the adult store. It labeled Fon's Thrift Shop. 
 

These names make it seem so obvious. Sunggyu thought to himself. 
 

"Woohyun. Let's go there." Sunggyu suggested, pointing to the shaggy thrift shop. Woohyun crossed his arms. 
 

"No. I'm going home to study-Sunggyu!!" Sunggyu pulled his sleeve and dragged him in through the door. 
 

.....

 

The three on Jeju Island wandered through the flowers and roses, picking their favorites. 
 

"Sungyeol Hyung. Shall we proceed in such a feminine activity?" Zelo asked, holding all the thirty-two flowers Sungyeol had picked and one of his own, a small pinkish-white rose.

Sungyeol halted and whipped his head around. He looked up at Zelo as if he had just asked if he liked to breathe. He practically forced the colorful flowers he was holding into Zelo's face and growled as Zelo accepted them gently. 
 

"I can't freaking believe you just said that. Seriously. It's not a girl thing. My god!" Sungyeol breathed quietly and angrily.

Zelo zipped his mouth and stood like a robot, stiff and still, as Sungyeol threw more flowers at him.

Myungsoo was sitting a couple feet before them and held a single rose. A small pinkish-white one. He stared at it with no emotion like a robot.

This one particular rose was his Grandmama's favorite. She used to have a small pot of three, claiming one was for him, herself, and someone special that was yet to show.

He always wondered who it was-
 

"Sir Myungsoo. Your sodium chloride water is leaking from your sight in-taker." Zelo said, pulling him out from his trance.

Myungsoo touched his cheeks.

Warm.

Wet.

Sungyeol frowned in worry and threw the flowers he was holding into Zelo's hands, making him almost drop his rose. He squatted in front of Myungsoo and put a hand on Myungsoo's shoulder. 
 

"I think it's time to go home." He said. Myungsoo nodded and wiped the remaining tears off his face. Sungyeol pulled Myungsoo up along with him and they all started home with the large assortment of flowers and roses.

After the airplane ride, they were all tired.

Sungyeol drove Myungsoo home then Zelo and himself. Once they got home, Sungyeol put all the flowers and roses he collected into a large glass vase the tint of blue.

He set it in the middle of the table then went to bed. Zelo did as well an hour later.
 

.....

 

Woohyun waved Sunggyu off toward the hospital again then headed for home with an old architecture book he bought.

He got home and checked on his mom. She was sound asleep on her bed. He slightly smiled and closed the door then went to his own bedroom just down the hall. He shut the door behind him then immediately went to his desk and opened the old book.

He read and studied the big book for what seemed like hours then eventually fell asleep, book open and pencil in hand.