Training

Tributes

Daylight streaked in through the shatters of the window, casting golden strips across the king sized bed on which Xiumin lay, peacefully sleeping. The first night at the Capitol had been hectic. Being country bumpkins, all that sudden attention had really shaken the tributes from District 12.

BANG! "Alright trainee, time for your first day of training. Get up Xiumin, you can sleep when you're dead!"

Xiumin groaned. That last comment of Lee Soo Man's really irked him as death was already knocking at his door and he was powerless to prevent it. After all, he doubted he will survive the Hunger Games. With great difficulty and hesitancy, Xiumin dragged his body from the comfy bed and into the training suits that Lee Soo Man held. Together, they walked to the dining area. At the table, Sohee was already seated, stabbing her breakfast with a fork, only pausing to inspect the two new arrivals. 

"Morning, Sohee" Xiumin chimed, wanting to befriend his fellow tribute.

Sohee stopped her stabbing, stared at him before relying with a not nearly as cheerful "Good morning, Xiumin"

'What's wrong with her? She doesn't even make an effort to be friendly.' Xiumin thought bitterly as he took his place opposite his fellow tribute.

The food was new, nothing that Xiumin had seen before, but that was to be expected, considering that in his 16 years of living, all his family could afford were cabbage, bread and if they were lucky, some surplus meat. The thought of his family got Xiumin's stomach lurching. 'I wonder what the're doing right now. Are they well? Do they miss me, because I miss them."

"Come on guys, we're going to the training centre NOW! So get your butts over there!"

Lee Soo Man's shout had roused Xiumin from his thoughts. He had barely eaten anything, but that was just as well since his appetite had completely disappeared with thoughts of home. Sohee was already proceeding down the stairs towards the training centre, and Xiumin hurried to catch up. 

             ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Alright, trainees. This is your time to hone in your skills in preparation for the Hunger Games. Work hard and may the odds be ever in your favour. " 

Xiumin glanced around the room both at the other tributes and the different skills station, unable to decide which one looked more intimidating. Honestly he felt like he was standing in a sea of unfamiliarity, because not only did he not know any of the other tributes, he also didn't know how to do the skills at the stations. 

'Well, this can't be any worse.' Xiumin walked miserably to the first station.

Boy, was he in for a surprise.