The future husband

The Warmth of Spring

The day of the event, Su Jin wore a black outfit with black shoes. She was relieved that her parents were not there. All she was thinking about at the event was the meeting and who will be her future husband. She forcefully smiled and continuously checked her phone. There were many texts from Hana and Minju in the group conversation. The day she left home, she had texted them saying her parents planned an arranged marriage without giving them any details and had told them she did not want to talk about it. 

She arrived at the restaurant with her brother, where her parents and the other family were waiting.

Chang Wook announced to the hostess, “Reservation under Mr Lee Chang Hoon?” Su Jin exhaled deeply as they were following the hostess to the room. 

They knocked and bowed. “Sorry we are late.” When Su Jin looked at the guests, she gasped when she saw Kim Jaejoong.

That was the same expression Jaejoong had when he saw her parents earlier. He knew immediately that Su Jin was his soon-to-be wife. At first he couldn’t believe it but he remained calm even though he had no desire to get married especially to a model. He had never even thought of being in a relationship with one.

Mrs Kim stood up and came to greet the two. She hugged Su Jin, “Omo, Su Jin-ah, you look stunning. How have you been?” 

She shyly bowed. “Thank you, Aunt. I’m fine. How about you and Mr. Kim?” 

It’s omonim and abonim for you. Well, we can’t be any better.” ‘Omonim, Abonim’ - those words sounded disgusting to her. 

Meanwhile, Jaejoong stood and greeted Chang Wook, who gave him a friendly and manly hug.

It's been a while! Didn't realize you were back in town.”

Nice to see you again, Jaejoong-ah. I’m back for good. How is Junsu?

He is doing well. We should meet together sometime.

Chang Wook nodded his head, then saw his sister’s glare.

She was watching them in disbelief. Her brother completely forgot about the marriage and started acting normal. How could he? 

Su Jin sat in front of Jaejoong and beside her brother. She kept her eyes on her hands that were entwined on the edge of the table. The elders were talking happily. Her brother was chatting about business with Jaejoong. She was left alone. A few minutes later, the waiter came with their plates of food.

She couldn’t eat. She was just playing with her fork and didn’t see that Jaejoong was glancing at her from time to time. 

Mrs. Kim noticed her untouched plate. “Darling why aren’t you eating? Don’t tell me you are on a diet.” 

No, I’m not on diet. I will eat.” 

Jaejoong knew that she probably lost her appetite because of this marriage issue so he did his best to sound kind. “You don’t like the food? You can change it, you know.

She looked at him with a bored look. “Ani, it’s tasty. Thank you.”

He smirked because he knew she was lying. How did she know how the food tasted if she didn’t even take a bite?

Omo, how adorable. He’s already caring about her.

He glared at his mother’s comment. He was annoyed with his parents and especially with Su Jin. He didn’t want to marry her either but he didn’t act out.

Mrs. Kim who became impatient, brought up the main reason why they were gathered. “So, you know why we are all here today. We will finally become a family. I’m so happy.” The parents smiled sheepishly.

Mrs. and Mr. Kim, can I ask you a question?

Of course, darling.

I know my parents married out of love. I would like to know if it’s the same for you.

Yes, we met in high school. We fell in love and married when we both graduated.

Jaejoong smirked because he knew what she was trying to say. He liked how she was trying to help break up the marriage plans. He liked the effort.

I don’t want to seem rude but don’t you think it’s a little bit selfish. You want your son to be engaged to someone whom he does not love, someone who is rarely home and always traveling? Don’t you think you will only make him suffer?

Her father was upset at her. “SU JIN, that’s enough rudeness from you tonight.” Then, he bowed to the Kims and apologized on her behalf.

Mrs. Kim didn’t mind her behavior. She liked the girl. She knew that she wasn’t trying to be impolite so she acted like nothing happened and turned to the girl’s parents.  

We should discuss the marriage details. When do you think the marriage should be held?

Omma, Su Jin-si and me are the ones who will get married so we should at least be the ones to decide when it will be. With this arranged marriage, Su Jin’s career will be deeply affected and I don’t want the shareholders to think that I didn’t want to marry her. So we need time to make it seem like we are a normal couple who wants to marry because we love each other.” 

The parents agreed. Su Jin was thankful for his idea but what his mother said after made her mad. “And darling, when you said you were barely home, you are right but I think you will both discuss it and you can find a solution that will make you stay home more.”

She was really mad. Her brother knew it and tried to calm her by squeezing her hands but she erupted. “Excuse me but I’m out. I am not getting married.” She was leaving the room when she heard her father’s voice, “If you won’t marry, then don’t think about stepping foot at the company.

Appa don’t worry, I won’t. I will resign and hand my shares back to you. I have my other job.”

Chang Wook tried to make her stop before she regretted it but she was too angry.

SU JIN-AH, enough! You think that you can make a living by just being a model. We will see if someone would sign a model who is disowned by her parents.

Gasps were heard. Even Jaejoong was speechless. He pitied her. She was crying in her brother’ arms, powerless. She didn’t care about her career but the thought of being disowned by her parents hurt her a lot. She would prefer a loveless marriage over losing her parents.

I think we are clear now. So you will stay here and discuss about the marriage. Let us know your plans later.

Her father bid the Kims goodbye, shook Jaejoong’s hand and left. His parents did the same. Only Chang Wook was left with the both of them. Jaejoong sat in his chair, looking defeated. Su Jin was the same, with her hands covering her face. 

Do you want me to leave so you can talk?” Chang Wook asked even though he really wanted to stay to support his sister. 

Ani, I think we will need your help.” Jaejoong smiled at him and looked at Su Jin. “Do you want to call your manager so we can talk about how we will announce it?” 

She looked at him, then at her brother. She then hesitantly said, “No, I better call Minju unnie.”

He nodded and said, “Okay, we will call her and Yoochun. And while waiting for them, we will talk about the other things.” He then picked up his phone, dialed his friend’s number and told him to bring his wife to the restaurant they were at.

While waiting for their friends, Su Jin decided to start the conversation. “Jaejoong-si, why didn’t you say no to your parents when they told you about the arranged marriage?

You think I’m eager to get married? Your brother knows that I’m not a person who wants to start a family anytime soon. I’m a man who does not like commitments.” Su Jin was glaring at him but before she could say anything, he continued, “I can’t say no. I won’t go against my parents’ will. I’m a businessman. I know what my parents want and I’m old enough to know not to create a scene like what happened with you earlier.” 

When he became rude, Chang Wook got a little angry. “Kim Jaejoong! I don’t think it’s necessary to bring up what happened earlier.” 

I’m sorry, Chang Wook but I’m a realistic person. I’m just telling her the truth.” Then, he sipped his wine.

Su Jin stood up and excused herself to go to the restroom. She didn’t want to cry in front of him. When she came back, she found her friend and Yoochun already seated and talking.

Minju stood up and hugged her friend. “Yoochun told me everything on our way here. Are you okay?

Su Jin nodded and said with a sarcastic voice, “I’m okay. I should be happy, no? I’m marrying the most sought after bachelor in Korea.”

Look here, you know what I hate most? Models. In other words, fake people so please stop with your sarcasm and behavior. It makes me sick.” With those words he left the room.

Everybody was shocked but Yoochun explained, “He is just as upset with this decision as you are but he doesn’t want to show it. He is frustrated so please excuse his behavior… He will come back. I’m sure he went out for a smoke to calm himself.

Chang Wook nodded and said to Yoochun, “I will go and talk to him. Please stay here with her.”

Jin, why don't you reach out to your manager to have her talk to the agency?

I don’t want her to know about the arranged marriage. In the coming days, I will speak to the CEO and tell him that I will be getting married because I’m in love with someone.” 

Yoochun agreed with her idea. “It would better if only a few people know about the arrangement. It will work out best for the both of you. It would be good for your career and he will look responsible in front of the shareholders.”

Just then Jaejoong and Chang Wook entered. She acted like Jaejoong was not there and asked Yoochun, “I don’t think the netizens and media would believe it, right? Marriage won’t harm my career internationally but here, Korean fans are more demanding.”

Jaejoong decided to answer in Yoochun’s place, “We will hang out for some months and let the media see us together. Then, we will tell them it has been two years since we started dating.

Okay, we can say that we kept in touch after our collaboration.” 

Yes, it would be believable and we should get to know each other so we should meet often but our meetings shouldn’t be out in the open too much so that it won’t seem too sudden and make us look suspicious.

After a few seconds of silence, Yoochun spoke, “At first, your agency will not release any statement. Not until a few weeks later. Our company and your brother will try to help you.”

Minju was anticipating everything that the media might say or do because of her experience as a former manager. “The media might think that you are working on another collaboration together so when you are out, you should put on a little act. Su Jin, you should cover your face or wear a cap. I don’t know, wear couple rings or bracelets, things like that. And if the fans talk about celebrities running after Chaebols or a shotgun wedding, you should release a statement yourself.”

Su Jin was only sighing to what was being said so her brother rubbed her back and said, “Don’t worry, baby. I’m here. We are all here for you. I know you were never involved in scandals or rumors like this but don’t worry.” 

Jaejoong spoke politely as he didn’t want to ruin the atmosphere between the siblings. “Now that we have settled everything that will happen before the marriage, I would like to inform Su Jin-si somethings.” 

Yes.”

I’m not going to do things like in the dramas, have you sign a contract with conditions and divorce after one or two years. If we marry, it’s for a lifetime unless some intolerable circumstances come to the surface.”

I have a condition

Tell me your condition.

I can’t live with someone who continues to meet with millions of girls.

He laughed a little. “Don’t worry, I will fulfill my duties as your husband. I won’t cheat on you or meet women. I will avoid rumors. You have my word. Ah, don’t forget, just like you, I have an image and reputation to protect so I believe you won’t cheat too.” 

She rolled her eyes and put on her coat, ready to leave. “Unnie, I will see you tomorrow with Hana, okay?

Her friend nodded in response.

Aren’t you going with your brother? You didn’t drive, right?” 

She was irritated by Jaejoong acting like he already knows everything about her and like he owns her. All she could do was mumble words that could be heard by everyone in the room. “Can’t he stop being nosy? What the f-, acting like he is my husband.” 

A small laugh from her brother who then confirmed what his friend had said, “He is right Jinie. I was the one who drove you here. We were going to have a drink. Aren’t you going with us?

Ani, I’m going to the apartment. I called a taxi. Don’t worry.” With that she left the room. 

To the apartment? She isn’t going home?” Jaejoong asked full of curiosity.

No. After her little argument with our parents, she went to her apartment.”