Her Shadow

Her Shadow [One-shot]

His sharp looking eyes followed her every move. Hiding behind the wall and watched the only girl he loved. He didn’t have the courage to talk to her. All he can do was watched her from afar. Even though like that he felt content about it. He watched her putting her books inside her locker and took out other books and put it inside her bag. She closed the locker and began to walk to her next class.

“Yunhee-ah!” A voice called out. She spun around and saw a tall good looking guy smiling at her.

“Sungyeol-ah. Annyeong.” Yunhee greeted.

“Are you going to your class?” Sungyeol asked and Yunhee nodded.

“Okay. Then I’ll walk you to your class.” Sungyeol said.

“Thank you Sungyeol.” Yunhee thanked him and they began to walk to their class. The boy name Karam got out from his hideout. He didn’t liked what he just saw. His eyebrows narrowed and his fist clenched in anger. He glared at Sungyeol until he was gone from his sight with Yunhee.

 

It was night and Sungyeol was walking to his house. His hands were in his pockets and he was humming a song. Suddenly he heard something behind his back. He turned around and saw nothing.

“Anyone there?” He asked. No answered at all. He shrugged and began to walk again. A crashed sound could be heard. He quickly spun around. His eyes furrowed and he kept gazing at one place. A cat jumped out and walked passed by.

“Oh… Just a cat.” Sungyeol scratched his head and spun around. His eyes widened when he saw a guy just inches away from his face with black mask cover his mouth and nose. His bangs cover his left eye and only the right eyes could be seen. He was wearing all black and he was holding a sharp pointy knife.

“W-who are you?” Sungyeol stuttered and took a step back.

“Your nightmare.” The guy whispered and just in a blinked of an eye the knife stabbed into Sungyeol’s stomach. His screamed was cut halfway when the guy covered his mouth.

“Shh… you’ll wake the others. I’ll make it quick so you won’t feel the pain.” The guy pushed the knife deeper in Sungyeol stomach. His eyes were watery holding back the pain that he felt. Sungyeol’s blood oozed out from his stomach. Dampen the black glove that the guy wore. Sungyeol’s eyes rolled to the back of his head and he died.

The guy smiled in satisfaction. With all his might he lifted Sungyeol over his shoulder and brought him to his place.

 

The next morning Yunhee went to college and searched for Sungyeol but she couldn't find him anywhere.

"Myungsoo-ssi. Do you know where Sungyeol is?" Yunhee asked one of Sungyeol friends.

"I don't know Yunhee-ssi. I've been looking for him too." L said. Yunhee took out something from her backpack and gave it to L.

"If you found him, can you give this book back to him." Yunhee said. L took the book.

"Sure."

"Thank you Myungsoo-ssi. I'll see you around. Bye." Yunhee said and waved him goodbye.

"Bye." L said and put Sungyeol's book inside his bag. L started to walk when he saw a figure behind the wall. The figure was staring at him with death glare. Only one of his eyes can be seen as the other one was covered by the wall. L eyes narrowed looking at the suspicious guy. Before L could say anything the figure walked away. L chased him but when he turned to the side of the wall, that guy was already gone.

"What's wrong with that guy?" L muttered to himself. Took a last glance at the place where that guy was hiding and then walked away.

 

Yunhee arrived at her class and took her seat. The lecturer didn’t come yet so she talked with her friends first.

Karam was a couple seats from Yunhee and he watched her talking to her friends. He doesn’t mind if Yunhee talked with her girl friends but he couldn’t took it when she talked to her guy friends.

“Yunhee-ah. Do you notice that Karam always stared at you?” One of Yunhee friends said and glanced at Karam.

“Eh?” Yunhee asked and she took a glance at Karam who quickly looked away.

“Don’t you find it creepy?” Her friends asked again.

“Don’t say things like that Ririn. Maybe he just wanted to be friends with me. Besides he’s a quiet person he doesn’t have many friends. Maybe he just shy to talk to me.” Yunhee defended Karam. Karam who heard it softened. That’s why he liked Yunhee a lot. She never thought bad things about a person.

“Well… he is kinda cute.” Ririn said and looked at Karam

“Who’s the creeper now? Now you’re staring at him Ririn.” Yunhee chuckled.

“Yah! That’s not funny.” Ririn pouted and crossed her arms. Yunhee laughed. When her laughter died down she looked at Karam. Karam just stared at her but Yunhee did something that he hadn’t expected for to do. Yunhee waved and smiled at Karam. He looked behind him to see if someone was behind him but there was only wall behind him. He looked back at Yunhee and she smiled at him. Karam lips form into a small smile.

Yunhee turned to her friends.

“See… he’s not a bad person.” Yunhee said to her friends.

“I guess. He’s kinda cute too.” Ririn said.

“Somebody had a crush~” Yunhee’s other friend Jieun sing song.

“Shut up.” Ririn glared at her. Yunhee and Jieun laughed.

 

L hopped out of the bus and slung his backpack over his shoulder. One of his earphones was stuck into his ear as he was listening to his iPod. While he was walking back home he felt like someone was following but he pushed the feeling thinking that it just his hallucination. He stopped on his track and turned around. His eyes widened when he saw a guy with one of his eyes covered with his hair and he wore a black mask.

Before L could say anything a hard cold thing landed on his head. L fell on the floor while holding his head. It was bleeding badly. He was hit by a steel pole.

“W-what are you doing?” L stuttered when that stranger took a step closer towards him. The stranger hit him again on the head with a steel pole. L felt dizzy and he couldn’t scream for help. Everything turned black as L unconscious. The stranger smirked and held the pole higher in the air and hit L again and again. He hit him numerous times. L’s blood splashed on the stranger face. Now L’s head skull was broken into pieces. Blood were oozing out nonstop.

L’s head were flat like there were no bones at all. His eyes were out from its place and bloods were flowing out. The stranger slung L over his shoulder and disappeared into the dark night.

 

Karam was sitting on his seat and focusing on what the professor was saying. Sometimes he took a glanced at Yunhee who was taking a note.

“I’m going to assign you to partners for this project. Whether you like it or not, you have to work with your partner. I will start reading the name now.” The professor said. He started reading the name one by one. Some people groaned and some of them like their partners.

“Choi Yunhee and… Park Hyunchul.” The professor said. After calling out the names he told the students to move seats and sit with their partners. Karam look at Yunhee seats. She was waving at him telling him to come over. Karam gulped and his heartbeat began to race. He walked over to Yunhee seat and awkwardly sat beside her.

“We got some classes together but I never introduced myself.” Yunhee said grabbing Karam’s attention.

“I’m Choi Yunhee. You are?” Yunhee held out her hand. Karam stared at her hand and then looked at her who was smiling brightly. Karam’s heart began to race again.

“I-I’m P-Park Hyunchul or call me-“

“Karam… I know.” Yunhee cut him off with a smiled. Karam slipped his hand through Yunhee and he felt a shock of electricity went down his spine.

 

As time passed, Karam and Yunhee became closer. Karam smiled a lot more now and Yunhee enjoyed his present. Karam was very happy that he got to be with the girl he loved the most. Although he didn’t tell her that he loved her yet but he wanted to confess someday.

Karam lied on his bed with his hands behind the back of his head. He smiled in content after he had sent Yunhee home after they studied together at the library. He sat up and looked at the wall in front of him. The wall was filled with Yunhee’s pictures since she was 16 years old until now. Pictures of her with her friends and family. Pictures of her smiling, laughing, staring, walking, running, etc.

He looked to the wall beside him. It was filled with Yunhee’s things that she threw away likes her can of soda, papers, books, pens, etc. Hung on the wall like decorations. He was obsessed with her. His eyes and his heart only see her and only her. There was no other girl that could catch his attention besides the girl name Choi Yunhee. And he made sure that he would have her someday… no other guy will get her besides him.

 

The next day, Karam was waiting Yunhee in front of her locker with his back leaning against her locker. One hand inside his jeans pocket and the other hand were holding a bouquet of flowers. He thought to confess to Yunhee today. He smiled looking at the flowers and then looked at his watch. Patiently waiting for Yunhee. Suddenly, he heard a sweet voice of laughing. He knew right away who owned that laughter. He turned his head to the side with a smiled but it disappeared right away when he saw Yunhee with a …

guy

“Oh… Good morning Karam oppa.” Yunhee greeted him with a smiled. He kept staring at the guy beside her. The guy just nodded his head at Karam. Yunhee tilted her head while looking at Karam. Karam didn’t reply her back like he always did. She noticed that he was staring at someone. She looked at the guy beside her and then at Karam.

“Oh… I forgot to introduce you guys.” Yunhee said breaking the silence.

“Karam oppa meet Woohyun oppa. Woohyun oppa this is Karam oppa. My friend and sunbae.” Yunhee introduced them with a smiled.

“Hello there.” Woohyun said. Karam just stared at him. Woohyun furrowed his eyebrows. He felt weird why Karam kept staring at him, more like glaring at him.

“Woohyun oppa is my boyfriend.” Yunhee said and hugged Woohyun’s arm. Karam eyes widened and the grip of his hand on the bouquet tightened. Yunhee saw the flowers.

“Karam oppa, what are those flowers for?” Yunhee asked.

“It’s nothing. I got to go now.” Karam said coldly and quickly walked away. Clenching his fist.

 

“I’m in front of Karam’s oppa house now.” Yunhee said through the phone with Woohyun. Karam asked her to come to his house because he said he needed help for his project.

“I’ll be fine, don’t worry Woohyun oppa.” Yunhee said.

“But I felt bad about this. You shouldn’t go to a guy house alone.” Woohyun said worriedly through the phone.

“Are you jealous?” Yunhee teased.

“That’s not about it. I’m just worried about you.” Woohyun said worriedly. Yunhee chuckled.

“Nothing going to happen oppa. if anything happens I’ll call you. Okay?” Yunhee said.

“Promise?” Woohyun asked.

“Promised.” Yunhee made a promise. They bade goodbye to each other and Yunhee hung up. She went to Karam ‘s house front door and knocked on it. A couple of minutes later the door opened and she saw Karam with a small smile on his face.

“You came. Come in.” Karam said and opened the door wider for her to come in. She stepped inside the house and looked around.

“Sit first. I’ll go make something to drink and then I’ll bring the project.” Karam said.

“Okay oppa.” Yunhee said and smiled. Karam smiled and went to the kitchen to make the drinks. She sat on the couch and put her bag beside her. She puffed up her cheeks and looked around. There were no pictures of Karam family at all. She was curious but she decided not to ask afraid that it had a sad story behind it. Few minutes later Karam went out from the kitchen and went to the living where Yunhee was.

He gave her the drink and Yunhee gladly accept it. Karam sat across from her.

“Oppa, where’s the project that you want me to help with?” Yunhee asked while taking another sip of her drink.

“I almost forgot. I go get it now.” Karam said and stood up. He went into his room to get the project. Yunhee was sitting on the couch. She looked at her phone for any message or missed call. Seeing none she put back her phone inside her bag. Suddenly she felt very sleepy. She couldn’t stop yawning.

“Why suddenly I felt so tired?” Yunhee mumbled to herself. Yunhee’s eyelids getting heavier and heavier. Her body slumped back to the couch as her eyes fell closed. The last thing she saw was Karam smirking at her and her phone ringing endless time.

 

Yunhee’s eyes twitched as she gained her consciousness. She smelled something really stink. She smelled something like a… corpse.

She snapped opened her eyes. She tried to move her hands and legs but it was tight up on a chair. She couldn’t see anything because the place was dark but she can smell something really bad. She felt like vomiting smelling those things. The light was and her eyes widened in fear. There were skeletons in front of her. Some of it didn’t turn into skeletons yet but it was filled with insects around the dead bodies. Flies were surrounding the dead bodies.

She really felt like vomiting now. She looked up her head and she saw tones of pictures of her. There were pictures of her when she was 16 years old. Pictures of her when she first entered college and other pictures of her daily life. She started to scream and struggled to break free from the tight rope on her hands and legs. Instead of loosen the rope she hurt her hands and legs. She stopped struggling and cried.

“Woohyun oppa… help me…” Yunhee whispered through the air. A figure suddenly appeared in front of her. She looked up and she saw Karam staring at her with expressionless face. Her eyes widened when she saw Karam holding a knife.

“O-oppa… please let me go.” Yunhee begged with tears rolling down her cheeks.

“Shh… Don’t cry.” Karam said and bent down to her level and wiped her tears away but more tears flowed down from her eyes.

“Why are you doing this to me?” Yunhee asked. Karam kneeled down in front of her and put his hands on her laps.

“Because… I love you.” Karam confessed. Yunhee eyes widened.

“Oppa…”

“I love you since I was 17 Yunhee-ah. We went to the same school but you never noticed me. I only can watch you from afar because I don’t have the courage to confront you and talk to you and because of that I only can take pictures of you, keeping things that you throw away and made them my treasures. I always followed you everywhere you go without you notice it. Call me a stalker or an obsessive stalker but I did all this because I love you.” Karam said tears welled up in his eyes.

“But oppa… I-I already…”

“Don’t say you have a boyfriend!!” Karam cut her off and shouted. Yunhee was scared. She never saw Karam with this kind of behavior before.

“I don’t care you have a boyfriend or not. You’re mine and only mine.” Karam said firmly.

Suddenly, a loud knocks could be heard. Karam and Yunhee turned their heads at Karam’s bedroom's door. The knocks getting louder and louder.

“Yunhee! Yunhee-ah! Are you in there?! Yah! Open the door!” Woohyun voiced could be heard outside.

“Woohyun oppa…” Yunhee whispered.

“You can’t go to him…” Karam said slowly. Yunhee looked at Karam.

“You’re mine! Not his!” Karam shouted again. His fist shook in anger.

“Karam oppa… Please don’t do this. There are a lot of other beautiful girls out there. Beautiful and nicer than me. You have to let me go oppa… forget about me and go on with your life.” Yunhee said gently. Karam lowered his head.

“No…” Karam whispered.

“Oppa, you are smart, handsome and kind. You will get plenty of other girls than me. We’re not meant to be. Just let me go and be happy with your life. We will still be friends-“

“I don’t want to be friends.” Yunhee words were cut off when Karam held the knife closed to . Yunhee started trembling and tears started rolling down her cheeks.

“Oppa… Please…” Yunhee begged.

“If I can’t have you then no one can.” Karam whispered. He held the knife closer to Yunhee’s throat and a cut was formed on . Blood started oozing out and she winced in pained. The front door was about to break when Woohyun tried to break the door by banging his body against it. Karam straightened up and looked at his bedroom’s door like the bedroom’s door about to open anytime.

“Maybe... I should kill him first. I killed Sungyeol and Myungsoo.” Karam smirked. Yunhee’s eyes widened.

“Yo-You… what?” Yunhee couldn’t get her words right.

“I killed them because they tried to flirt with you.” Karam said with his eyes still glued on the bedroom’s door.

“You see that corpses over there?” Karam pointed at the corner of his room. Yunhee looked to where he pointed. She saw two corpses.

“Look closely. Don’t they look familiar?” Karam smirked. Yunhee looked at it and she gasped in horror. She recognized one of them was L and she was sure the other one was Sungyeol.

“No… How could you do this oppa?!” She screamed with tears rolling down her cheeks.

“I don’t like them talking to you. Couldn’t you see they tried to flirt with you?! I’m jealous and I killed them.” Karam said.

“Now… I’m going to kill that boyfriend of yours.” Karam grinned evilly and looked at the door. Yunhee fervently shook her head.

“Don’t do it. Please… I’m begging you. I love Woohyun oppa with all my heart. He was my first love. Please don’t take him away from me. Just take my life but please… don’t kill him…” Yunhee cried. Karam turned his head towards Yunhee and her eyes were red and puffy. She looked like a messed with tears stained on her face and another new tears rolled down her cheeks.

Karam softened. The girl that he loved the most loved someone that wasn’t him.

“Do you… really love him?” Karam asked. Yunhee eagerly nodded.

“I love him very much.” Yunhee said. Her answered pained Karam so much.

“Are you happy with him?” He asked again.

“Yes.” She replied. Karam lowered his head and tears rolled down his cheeks. He looked back at Yunhee with his tears hitting the wooden floor.

“Then… that’s enough for me. Be happy with him Yunhee. I never knew… Love would make my heart felt so much pain.” Karam said and his lips curved into a bitter smiled.

"I don't want to feel this pain anymore...." Karam whispered

“Goodbye… Choi Yunhee.” Karam said. Yunhee was confused why Karam said goodbye but then her eyes widened in shocked. Karam stabbed himself… on his own…. Heart.

“Karam oppa!! No!!” Yunhee yelled. She struggled to loosen the rope. She doesn’t care she was in pain. She wanted to help him but it was too late. Karam collapsed to the floor. Bloods were flowing out from his body. The wooden floor were stained with Karam's blood. Karam’s bedroom’s door burst opened and Woohyun went in with polices. His eyes widened seeing the dead body and Yunhee cried her heart out.

“Karam oppa… You can’t go. No...” Yunhee said. With Karam last strength he lifted his head and gave a small smiled to Yunhee.

“Saranghea... Yunhee…” With those last words Karam was gone forever….

Polices went to Karam. He felt his pulse. He shook his head indicating that Karam was dead. Woohyun untied Yunhee and he hugged her closed to his chest. He tried to calm her down. Yunhee clutched onto Woohyun shirt and cried over Karam lifeless body….

 

There are things that we don’t want to happen but have to accept, things we don’t want to know but have to learn, and people we can’t live without but have to let go