six

MIGHT JUST DIE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Soorim woke up to the sound of things falling in the hallway. She had a hard time falling asleep last night after reading the envelope because it made their death makes sense but in a way mysterious.

Soorim ignored the throbbing headache and went straight to open her door to check on what happened so early in the morning.

“I am so sorry madam, I didn’t know you were there,” a maid plead to an elegant figure standing in front of her with black shades. The lady stood firm without sparing the maid a glance and does not even flinch.

They seem to have noticed Soorim opening the door when both their heads turned towards her.

“What happened?” Soorim groggily asked.

In a split second the heartless lady smiled and walked slowly towards her. She was shocked to see her genuine smile as a second ago she would have thought that she was heartless with the situation in front of her.

“Nothing honey, the maid did not see me coming in and was shocked that she dropped the vase,” the lady said.

Well to be honest, she would have been shocked too. Soorim thought.

“You must be Soorim, I’ve missed you so much,” the lady hugged her tightly.

Soorim was lost and she didn’t know what to say except to just nod to the fact she was right about her name.

“Don’t you remember me?,” the lady asked taking off her shades. Soorim was in awe when she saw her face. She had already looked so elegant with her attire and with shades off she looked even more beautiful.

Soorim couldn’t say anything so she shook her head.

The lady gave her a warm smile and caressed her hair, “It’s okay, I know you don’t remember me. It was a very long time since we met.”

Soorim looked at the lady in the eye and she swore that the lady looked as if she’s going to cry.

“Oh well, look at the time. You need to get ready for school now. We’ll do more catching up soon okay?” she said with a smile and put her shades in the handbag she have been holding.

Soorim smiled back and glad she was able to keep her thoughts to herself and not question the woman anything when she saw it was almost breakfast time.

Soorim was the first to get ready at the table as usual and the maid seems to be at ease now as they are used to it. And while the maids were plating the breakfast meal the lady from this morning came down in a more casual outfit compared to the one from this morning.

The maids seemed to be afraid of her as they quickly serve her juice as she sat down at the table. The lady gave Soorim a smile before taking a grape.

“How was your new school Soorim?” she asked while taking a toast.

Soorim took a toast after her and shook her head, “It was fine, I’m sure it’ll get better,”

The lady just laughed. “Well you know you can call me mom,”

Soorim looked at that lady and a thought hit her, ‘this lady could be Jaehyun’s mother’. The one Jaehyun mentioned about being home the other day. At the thought of that, ‘where’s Jaehyun?’.

“Excuse me, mom. Do you mind if asked where’s Jaehyun?” Soorim asked curiously.

The lady chuckled and looked at Soorim. “He must be at the apartment with his friends,”

Soorim pouted, ‘well they are rich, who would have thought kids my age would have their own apartment.’

“He does not like to stay home when I’m not around, he said it feels lonely.” The lady added looking at Soorim knowingly.

“You go to the same school don’t you? Why don’t you hand him something from me?.”

Soorim turned to the lady from her toast. If she was not in awkward position she would gladly say yes but then she realised she is in no position to say no to because well, to be honest she does live in their house and she owes them everything even if she doesn’t know it.

 

                                                                           ********           

              

Jaehyun sighed when he felt his cereal box awkwardly light. He crushed the empty box with one hand. “Okay who took my cereal?!,”

The other boys who were getting ready for school as well turned to him.

“You finished it yesterday, don’t you remember?,” Taeil answered while tying his tie.

“I certainly not!,” Jaehyun said while checking the other boxes but all of them are empty. It seems like everyone is going to school without breakfast.

“I think I remember Winwin said he was hungry last night and there was nothing in the fridge,” Ten added before tying his shoelaces.

Jaehyun was about to dash for Winwin when Mark stopped him. “Hey, I have something for you,”

Jaehyun dropped the crushed box and followed Mark who then proceeded to his laptop.

“Look here,”

Mark pointed to a file that arrived in his email. Jaehyun took a chair and sat in front of the laptop watching Mark clicking the file.

“I believe they really are your grandparents, this is supposed to be easy but I really don’t know why it took so long for my PI to get it, because see their names are on your father’s birth certificate and your father’s old ID are also addressed to their house.”

Jaehyun forgot about the empty cereal and his head trying to process the fact that the old coupe really was his grandparents. All this time he had already thought that they were his grandparents but now having the proof that they are really in fact his grandparents shocked him. He always thought that they were but the fact that it took so long to prove that they are made it seems surreal.

“And I’m not sure if you want to know this but I think it might be important.” Mark then opened another file which seems to have a video.

Mark clicked play but the video was so blurry, it was dark and it looks like it’s raining at whatever place the video was supposed to be. In the distance it looks like a familiar house with a beautiful garden and the lights were on indicating that anyone who lives there are still awake. After a few moments, a car arrived in front of the house and a man walked out of the car without an umbrella. And old lady answered the door and invited the man inside.

Jaehyun did not know what the video have to do with the fact that they are his grandparents.

“That is a video from a car parked near their house the night they died.” Mark said.

Jaehyun turned to him and replayed the video. “You’re trying to say someone murdered them?” Jaehyun said almost in a cry.

Mark leaned his head to the side, “Well, we really don’t know but what are the odds of two old couple to die on the same night?”

Jaehyun wanted to believe Mark but it made no sense. Why would anyone kill them? They were so nice to everyone.

“Okay and now you owe me a lot, because my PI said your father’s old ID was so hard to get and this information was so classified he almost got caught.” Mark said flipping his laptop off and getting everything in his backpack to get ready for school.

“What do you mean?,” Jaehyun asked with glassy eyes.

“He said usually this kind of information is easy to obtained as people really don’t care about their old ID but he does not understand why your father is so keen on keeping his background a secret, by the way why didn’t you just asked him? All these trouble for some background check on your own father? Like I was shocked when you asked for my help.” Mark waved his hands in disbelief.

Jaehyun winced. He really doesn’t know why, but he really did not trust his father. And this fact just proved his guts were true. What else could his father be hiding from him.

“Thank you Mark, I do owe you so much,” Jaehyun took Mark hands.

“Well anything for my brother, and we’re late for school I hope your driver is faster today,”

 

             

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter