Chapter 9

Dirty Love
Please log in to read the full chapter

The dorm life of SS501 became claustrophobic for all the group members after that fateful night of confessions, heartbreaks and regrets. The air inside was thick with tension. Everyone took part in every activity but their gestures were robotic. They behaved like a bunch of zombies... alive but in all subtle senses as good as dead. They were merely breathing. 

Hyungjun's condition was worse. He was completely moping around the dorm. He was not talking much, not eating properly unless Young Saeng shoved some bits and pieces down his throat, lack of sleep was evident from the dark circles under his eyes. Hyungjun had shut himself off entirely, specially from Jungmin with whom he never interracted after that night. KyuJong, being sensitive himself understood Hyungjun's mind state and distanced himself from the maknae. Hyungjun in his state of utmost self pity also did not fail to notice Kyu's behaviour. It wasn't like he was upset with Kyu because Kyu was as helpless as he was and was suffering equally.

Hyungjun was awake that night when Jungmin came back to their dorm with KyuJong. He had heard the conversations that followed. Now, Hyungjun's days were occupied by figuring out how to move on from his unrequited love for Jungmin, who after that night didn't even spare a glance at Hyungjun. On the other hand his nights were spent thinking of what it was about him that perhaps never appealed to Jungmin and in which aspects KyuJong raced ahead of him. Often these thoughts made him cry into his pillow, lest Young Saeng would hear.

When pressure builds up on your mind, how pain staking it could become if the burden did not get lessened soon...the y charisma of SS501 could make out evidently in the past few days. To be a part of a family and surrounded by them brought a wonderful feeling but when that support suddenly gets restrained a feeling of complete void fills in your mind and suddenly everything becomes trivial and that sensation of utter loss is the only thing you could think of.

One fateful night's love confession had whiplashed Jungmin into the current situation where almost every other member of his group was avoiding him. Hyungjun, his best friend for whom he cared like a brother and now got rejected by him in such a ruthless way, refused to even look at him and the guilt inside him wasn't allowing him to look at the maknae either; the centre whom he loved more than himself was more concerned about Hyungjun's condition and distanced himself from both Hyungjun as well as Jungmin; the leader had an accusing stare these days because according to him, one confession from Jungmin had disturbed the group's harmony. Only Young Saeng was still talking to him normally. All in all, though he never showed, but in the inside Jungmin's condition was no less miserable.

KyuJong perhaps was having the worst days of his life. The one person he had been in love with for so long was not his to begin with, the one he never considered as his lover just suddenly came up with a confession and worst of it one of his beloved brother got hurt in this process. Watching Hyungjun mop around, Kyu's heart wrenched in immense pain. Guilt ate him alive because directly or indirectly, he was somewhat responsible for Hyungjun's heartbreak and Kyu never wanted to be one. It actually never came to Kyu's mind that he in any way could be an object of affection for Jungmin. So, Jungmin's confession shook him to the core.

Kyu could not take in Hyungjun's sorrow behind which he was a major cause. Kyu felt guilty. Shame pulled him back whenever he tried to approach the maknae. It was due to immense guilt and shame that KyuJong distanced himself from Hyungjun as well as Jungmin. The former did not react much but the latter did not give up. Jungmin went on trying to convince Kyu and bring him out of his self-constructed shell. Kyu saw the sorrow and desperation in Jungmin's eyes too but he for the time being maintained his detachment.

Before all these, HyunJoong never felt so helpless. As the leader of SS501, it was the first time he was in tremendous pressure, not for some upcoming concert or album but due to the cold war between the members. Its not like there had never been a serious problem between the members but this time the nature and the stature was so grave that even a mighty leader as HyunJoong was feeling rather lost as he could not bring s out of it. One album had overturned every relation that they had ever treasured. 

HyunJoong watched morning descended on their dorm but the light never touched them anymore; the morning rolled into day and a flurry of activity always awaited them and they played their part but there was no life; the nightfall brought with it an eerie silence  in the entire dorm which haunted HyunJoong as he felt the darkness consuming them from the depth of their soul. Nothing was like before and he could not foresee any improvement coming over anytime soon. The thought was very depressing and it was taking a toll on HyunJoong's mind.

The immense pressure building over HyunJoong might have showed on his face because he was sitting on the couch with a manga trying to concentrate on it and failing miserably and the biggest sign was he held the manga upside down. Young Saeng, who was usually the most observant member of SS501 saw this and approached the leader. Yes...they had their personal differences and Saeng was still upset with HyunJoong but that did not make him any less concerned. Young Saeng too had encountered the choking feeling inside the dorm. If he could take a respite, he would have gone by now at his own house away from their dorm but the ongoing preparations for the music shows and concert had held him back.

Young Saeng took away the manga and kept it on the centre table. "If you are not really reading it, what's the point in holding one?"

HyunJoong huffed and said in a grumpy tone, "I was reading."

"I never knew that people could read a book upside down," Young Saeng commented.

Embarrassed on getting caught, HyunJoong looked down. Young Saeng sighed seeing such a dejected expression on HyunJoong's face.

"You know you can talk to me. I know you are in too much pressure."

"Why do you suddenly care?" HyunJoong asked.

"Didn't you want me to put aside our differences for the time being and help our dongsaengs and the group function properly?"

"So are you doing that now?"

"Yes...in a way," Saeng agreed.

Young Saeng expected HyunJoong to say something in return but the leader's reaction came in the way of a tight hug. HyunJoong pulled Young Saeng into an embrace. Hy

Please log in to read the full chapter