fifteen: the crisis

Sweet Summer Escapade

"Did you send the stories to the publication?" I asked while we were eating breakfast. After what happened yesterday, we seem to have developed a better atmosphere in talking and dealing with each other.

 

"Yup, I sent it last night. I really hope they'd accept it. Or else I have to find another dream." She joked and I just chuckled.

 

I was about to open my mouth to ask her about her plans for today but her phone rang.

 

"Oppa?" She said, answering the phone.

 

"What?! Where are you right now?!" She uttered in surprise. After that, she ended the call.

 

"What's going on?" I asked as we both stood up and she headed to her room, taking her hoodie.

 

"Jin, please watch over the café for me. Teach the kids the next page after the ones they answered yesterday. I have to go somewhere." She said and just like that, she ran outside.

I ran after her but she was too fast. I sighed and decided to do the dishes before going out of the house.

 

 

--

It's been half an hour after Seulgi left and I'm still in her house. I looked for the café's key everywhere but couldn't find it. She probably took it with her and I don't even know where she is. She doesn't even have a telephone here. And even so, I don't know her number.

 

I'd better ask her neighbors, I thought so I went out. Just by the time I closed the gate, someone approached me, catching his breath.

 

"Are you...are you Jin?" He asked, still catching his breath, hands on his toes, literally not looking at me.

 

"Seulgi's brother?" I asked and when he faced me, I was surprised to see this familiar face.

 

"Sir Jin?!" "Gary hyung?!" We said in unison.

 

"How..what..why..?" He doesn't seem to know which one to ask first.

 

"Let's go inside first." I said and we proceeded inside the house.

 

Gary hyung was my bodyguard when I started as Jin Kim. He became a real brother to me but he got assigned to another work after two years of serving our family.

 

I told him how and why I got there and he said he understood how I felt.

 

I asked about Seulgi and he told me his mom was in the hospital. His parents raised Seulgi and after her real father's death, they've been convincing her to go back home. Seulgi was hurt, they supposed, because she can't be persuaded to go back. Now, I can connect the story from Gary hyung's version and the version of the kids yesterday.

 

"So what happened today, hyung? She didn't tell me anything, just left in a hurry."

 

"Mom fainted and I brought her to the hospital. She had been sick last week, probably because she misses Seulgi a lot. I called to inform her but I guess she panicked. So she asked me to come here and give you the café's key, said she will stay there until the evening." He recounted and I nodded, taking in the situation.

 

"But before I left, I heard the doctor talk about surgery. That was probably her reason for asking me to take her sling bag with me. I told her not to worry about the expenses but she said mom was her mother too."

 

I never realized this could ever happen in her life. She may have a complicated family but she loved both of them nonetheless. I can only think of her kind heart and how well she treated me. It pains me that she had to go through this pain. Losing her real father and might probably lose her mom if the surgery, God forbid, won't be performed well.

 

Gary hyung bid goodbye and before leaving, he said "Jin-ah, your parents are worried sick about you. You've been the in the news for three days now. I hope finding yourself won’t take you that long."

 

I decided to open the café and wait for the kids to arrive.

 

While sitting at the counter, my eyes caught sight of the telephone and without thinking twice, I dialed my secretary's number.

 

"Noona, it's Jin."