Shut Down

The 7 Slayers

"It was super quiet and dark in the woods. I couldn't hear anything, even crickets. It was odd. And I was carefully walking towards this one tree because... I can just feel it, you know what I mean? " Jackson asked rhetorically to his friends who were listening to him retelling the story of him shooting a Bloodsucker down last night. "I feel like they were there... So I took another two steps before I pointed my torchlight up..."

 

"Why did you suddenly do that?" Yugyeom quickly enquired. His arms were crossed and he had put a serious face on.

 

"Because... I just had that feeling. You know what I mean?"

 

"Uh huh okay, yeah, of course we know." BamBam answered, he covered a small smile using a hand. "Then?"

 

"So when the light from my torchlight shone on the braches, I saw... a figure jumped from one tree to another! And I had this feeling to just shoot it because no way that's a human, right?"

 

"No, what do you mean?" Jinyoung asked with a frowned face.

 

"You know how we always get this feeling when we go hunting? You know what I mean?"

 

"No, actually, we don't. can you explain more on that?" Jaebum asked.

 

"Guys, come on... we've been hunting for like months. No way you don't......." Jackson looked at his friends with furrowed brows. He saw each one of them was trying to hold back smiles and he realised they were just fooling around to entertain him. " off, guys!" 

 

The whole group erupted with laughter, except for Jackson. He pulled a sullen face. "Wow, you guys ."

 

"Aw, man. We're just messing with you!" Youngjae said with remnants of his laugh still there. He side hugged Jackson as an apology.

 

"I was just trying to share my wholesome experience here and you guys are---"

 

"Jackson, move." Jaebum cut his sentence suddenly and pushed him off Byul's chair that he was sitting on. "Byul's here"

 

Jackson almost fell on the floor but Youngjae managed to grab his uniform and pulled him back up. Jackson looked at Jaebum with a disbelieved look on his face. "Wow! You actually pushed me off because of her!"

 

"Shut up, man. Be cool." Jaebum shushed Jackson abruptly as Byul walked up to her place. She gave the boys a smile but everyone could see how tired her face looked.

 

"Hey, guys! Having a good time are we?"

 

"Yeah. We are. Jaebum here especially," replied Jackson while giving Jaebum a dirty look. 

 

Jaebum glared at Jackson before answering. "Ignore him, he's hurt we didn't appreciate his storytelling skill. What's up?" 

 

"I was just done with my morning duty, so now gotta usher everyone to our daily assembly." Byul replied with a shrug, she's feeling dreadful just thinking about her school patrol's jobs.

 

"Oh, right. Yeah, we're making a move now. No worries!"

 

"Um, no. Not you guys. The Principal would like to meet you all at his office in ten minutes. So just head down there quickly, yeah? See you guys later." 

 

Byul left the boys right after that. They looked confused and were taken aback by the fact that the Principal wanted to see them. 

 

"Did I hear that right? I swear to God I'm not high or drunk." Jackson said.

 

"What does he want with us?" Mark asked quietly. He had a bad feeling about this.

 

Jaebum was the first one to get up from his chair. He was worried but managed to hid it. "We better go ask him ourselves." 

 

***

 

Mark made one last eye contact with Mr. Park before closing the Principal's office door quietly. As soon as it was shut, Jackson grabbed Youngjae's collar roughly and pushed him against the wall behind him. "You rat! Why did you tell him? Are you trying to get my dad fired?" Jackson snarled, his face furious while Youngjae's surprised and afraid.

 

"Cut it out, Jackson!" Jaebum quickly pulled Jackson away from Youngjae with force. "What is wrong with you? It's not Youngjae's fault!"

 

Everyone else froze in their place. They did not expect for Jackson to act this way after the Principal told them that he knew about their activities. He also had asked them to stop immediately because it's against the law to hunt Bloodsuckers without proper training. Jackson was angry more than scared about this because if the authorities knew about what they've been up to, his dad's job would be at risk. Fortunately Mr. Park was kind enough to let them go with just a warning this time. 

 

"Oh yeah? Who else would've told Mr. Park then? Youngjae's the only one who has been wanting to quit but couldn't tell us straight to our face. He could've went to the Principal and revealed us so that we would get a warning and stop hunting," said Jackson, still mad.

 

Youngjae scoffed. "Oh you, for all we know, it could be you! You must have been worried that your dad might lose his job if people knew about us and wanted to shut us down so you told the Principal!"

 

"Enough!" Jaebum raised his voice at the two bickering boys. "It's none of us okay? Someone must have had overheard us and told the teachers. Mr. Park didn't mention any names so stop blaming each other. Let's go back to class, we don't want to get into more trouble do we?"

 

Jaebum gave them one last warning look and started heading back to class while the others tailed him. Jackson and Youngjae were still frustrated at each other but they did not want to cross Jaebum even more so they walked quietly. Everyone was lost in their own thoughts, wondering how did they get exposed and most importantly, by whom? They've very careful whenever they went out to hunt. They always made sure they appear to be clean in front of the authorities. It just didn't make sense how words got to reach Mr. Park so suddenly seeing that last night was the first time they went hunting after taking a break for two weeks.

 

While they were passing through the busy hallway packed with students after their morning assembly, the boys heard some commotions going on up front. They made their way to see what's happening only to find two freshmen, one with bowl-cut hair and the other bald, shouting at one another. Both of them looked like they're ready to inflict the first hit. Other students started to gather around them, heating things up and getting excited to witness a real life fight. 

 

"Oh god," Jinyoung whispered under his breath. "We should call the teacher."

 

No one moved or responded to him. All eyes were fixed on the two freshmen as they started to get violent. The one who had the bowl-cut hair, moved forward to punch the bald guy after he was provoked more than twice. He put a lot of force in it but the floor was slippery and made him fall. He grunted with anger. The boy got up quickly and was ready to punch again. 

 

"Let's go get a teacher!" Jinyoung started panicking. He was about to run to the office when suddenly a girl stepped in and grabbed the bowl-cut guy's collar from the back. She held him firmly before he could make his next move. The girl was Byul. She appeared to be unimpressed by the whole situation.The boy struggled to get out of Byul's grasp.

 

"Let me go, you !" He yelled.

 

Annoyed, Byul then put her hand on the boy's chest and pushed him back roughly. "Stop," she commanded. To everyone's surprise, the guy stopped struggling and stood still immediately. She exhaled a sharp breath with a frowned face. How come a nice looking guy like this could get into a fight and call her a ?

 

"Behind you!" Someone from the crowd shouted to warn Byul as the bald guy charged forward. Might as well land a blow on the other guy if he's going to get punished for starting a fight, right? 

 

Byul quickly moved to the side to dodge. Swiftly, she forced the boy down on to the floor by pushing his back and held him there. "Stop!" She ordered angrily and the same thing happened, it was as if he instantly lost his will to fight and just layed still like the bowl-cut guy.

 

"You two are coming with me to the discipline teacher's office." Byul said furiously. She then stood up and looked around at the crowd. "Why are you guys still here? Go back to your classes!" 

 

The crowd quickly scattered, not wanting to get into trouble with the school patron, especially not one who could make two boys stop fighting just like that. As the hallway started to clear out, Byul had the two boys following her to the discipline teacher's office. She passed by Jaebum, Mark, Jinyoung, Jackson, Youngjae, BamBam and Yugyeom who were clearly in awe of what just happened. They were staring at her as she walked in front of them. Byul took a quick glance, her eyes lingered a bit longer on Jaebum, and nodded at them. "Boys," uttered her and she continued walking away.

 

"Holy . Did that just happen?! That was so cool!" Yugyeom exclaimed after Byul turned around the corner and went out of sight. He was excited that they had just witnessed the event.

 

"Right! I can't believe we got to see it! The rumours are true!" BamBam added in to his friend's excitement. They had been listening to people talking about how Byul had stopped fights in just a blink of an eye. She stepped in, and boom, peace. Everyone didn't know if it's true or just people making things up but now that they had seen it themselves, the boys knew they made the right decision to trust the rumour. 

 

"Damn. She's so cool. I can't believe Jaebum gets to sit beside her." Jackson said. 

 

Jinyoung sighed. "I know right. It's crazy. Not like he even tries to talk to her." 

 

They started drowning Jaebum in mean remarks, critisising him for not trying to get closer to Byul at all. If he could be good friends with the girl, they all might be able to get to hangout with her. That would be awesome. Jaebum however, was immune to this and just rollled his eyes. His friends had been bugging him to talk to Byul but he couldn't care less. He did have conversations with her. But why should his friends know about it, right?

 

Only Mark noticed Jaebum's small grin before he left to get to his class.

 

***

 

The school bell rang, inidicating it's time for recess. Jaebum and Byul's Mathematics teacher wrapped her lesson up and left them with some homework to bring home. "Please finish up the exercise we did just now and also complete the questions from your textbook. We'll discuss the answers tomorrow. Goodbye, class." The whole class stood up to say thank you. Everyone then started leaving class to go to the canteen, except for Byul. She stayed still at her place, just waiting for her classmates to leave so that she could sleep. 

 

Jaebum noticed and asked her "you're not going to the canteen?"

 

"No. I want to nap..." Byul answered before she yawned a bit. "Can't risk being sleepy for History, right?" 

 

Jaebum smiled at her. "Yeah, that's a ticket straight to hell from Mr. Lee."

 

Byul laughed a little at his reponse. "True!" She then noticed Mark standing at the door, looking at Jaebum. "Go on, now. Mark's waiting for you already." 

 

"Right, see you later!" Jaebum said and walked over to Mark. They both left for the canteen together. Byul yawned one more time and rested her head on the table. In just a few minutes, she dozed off soundly. She had been staying up late for the past few weeks and had not been getting enough sleep. Yoongi's stupid plan to hunt every night had been hard for her especially because she's the only one who's in school and needed to get up early. But she couldn't really complain, it's her duty to help Yoongi keep the clan safe and provide enough food resources. She hoped situation would get better soon for them.

 

When Jaebum came back to class after recess, Byul was still sleeping on her table. He sat down quietly, not wanting to disturb her. However, Mr. Lee entered the class soon after and he had to wake her up. After the whole class greeted him and he let them take their seats, Jaebum put a can of latte on Byul's table, in front of her. "In case you're still sleepy," said him coolly without making eye contact. He almost choked on his words, feeling nervous.

 

Byul looked at him with a huge smile.  "Thank you, that's so kind of you!" She opened the can and took a sip. "Ahh, there's nothing a latte can't fix!"

 

"I got you the right flavour," Jaebum said happily, glad he bought latte instead of americano like Jackson suggested.

 

"Yeah, how did you know?" Byul asked. She had her eyes glued on Jaebum, waiting for his answer.

 

Jaebum was taken aback by the question. He thought about it for a second, somehow just realising how when he bought the latte, he just knew that it would be the right choice. "Luck, I guess?" He said.

 

Byul lifted one eyebrow and studied Jaebum for a moment. Questions were running through her mind but she kept them to herself and just smiled at him. "Interesting."