Chapter 13

Rose Golden (Vkook)

“Taehyung, just stay with me alright? We’re almost there.”

There was so much commotion, he could hear water, screaming, crying.

“Taehyung-”

Everything turned black again.

He kind of felt like he was floating inside himself. Like he was there, but not consciously awake. A heaviness sat on his chest that was suppressing his breathing, it made his lungs sting. Something warm and soft brushed against his lips then and cool air flowed into his body.

He coughed abruptly and curled over on his side, spitting up water into the sand.

“Taehyung!” Yuna cried loudly and she rushed over to him. His body ached when she grabbed onto him tightly.

“Hey, hey, you need to let him recover for a bit.” Jungkook’s voice said softly then, pulling her away.

Taehyung’s eyes started closing again and he felt someone’s hand on his face. “Hey, hey try to stay awake OK? The ambulance is almost here.”

But he was so tired, he just wanted to close his eyes.

“He’s blacking out again-”

The light blinded him.

Taehyung stared up at the ceiling blankly. His body felt heavy and numb, just like when he’d been in the water.

He moved his head slightly and saw Yoongi crashed out in one of the chairs by the hospital bed. Hoseok was on his phone and Yuna was standing in the corner of the room, looking deep in thought. When Taehyung groaned she looked up and her eyes widened.

“Oh my God,” She raced over to him, touching his face carefully.

Hoseok stood then and woke Yoongi who opened his eyes tiredly.

“Are you feeling OK?” Yuna asked him seriously.

“I-I’m fine,” Taehyung croaked. “Can you stop groping my face now?” 
Hoseok sat down at the edge of the bed. “I can’t believe you would go out that far on your own! Are you crazy? The water is a dangerous place, you need to be more careful.”

Taehyung nodded. “I’m sorry, I wasn’t thinking-

He hugged him suddenly. “Thank God you’re alive.”

Yoongi stared at him blankly then and they made eye contact.

“I’m glad you’re OK.” He spoke up. “I really thought I was gonna lose you today.”

“Yeah, if it wasn’t for Jungkook, I honestly don’t even think you’d be here right now.” Hoseok replied, pulling away.

Taehyung remembered feeling him grab him out of the water. He also remembered hearing his voice; and the taste of his lips. That must of been him that revived him too. Taehyung pretty much owed his life to Jungkook. He craned his neck to look at Yuna. “Where is he right now?”

“He’s in the waiting room with everyone else. The doctors would only let in close family and friends.” Yuna said hesitantly.

“OK.”

Taehyung had the urge to see him, he wanted to thank him. Except he felt nauseous and disoriented, he couldn’t move.

The exhausting night dragged on. He got constant check ups and examinations from doctors that streamed in and out of the room. And as the hours passed, Taehyung still felt sick and tired, but he could feel his physical state improving slightly.

The doctors said he needed a lot of rest and would have to stay overnight to recover. His head hurt, but he still managed to greet everyone that came to visit him, thankful that he was even alive to still see them again.

“You should have seen Jungkook, he swum through that water like a speedboat I swear.” Jin said. “I was practically choking and dying the other day and this kid didn’t even do anything to help me. As a matter of fact he was literally smiling while it was happening.”

Jimin laughed and shoved Jin lightly.

Taehyung forced himself to smile, but he was wondering why Jungkook hadn’t come in to see him yet. Everyone else had come so why not him? Maybe he was just tired after everything.

“Hey, do you guys mind doing me a favour and making sure my sister gets back to Jungkook’s place safely? I don’t want her staying here for the whole night.” Taehyung told them then. He knew Yuna was stressed and worried about his recovery, he just wanted her to relax. He’d be a lot better in the morning anyways.

“Yeah of course, I can drive her if you want.” Jimin glanced back at Yoongi and Hoseok. “What about you guys? Do you need a ride?”

Hoseok gave Taehyung a concerned look. “We can’t just leave you here by yourself-”

“I’ll be fine Hobi, I’m in a hospital with doctors attending to me every second. You guys can go and get some rest with Yuna, it’s late.” He interrupted. No matter what, he never stopped thinking about others over himself. Taehyung just didn’t want them to worry about him and he needed some space to clear his head too.

Yuna stood up. “I’m not leaving you here alone Taehyung, that’s not right-”

“Yuna, I’ll be fine OK? Just go with Jimin and I’ll see you again in the morning.” He pressed.

“No, I won’t-” Jin put a hand on her shoulder then and she looked at him.

“He needs some rest. Just listen to what he says and don’t give him anymore stress alright?” He said.

“Are you sure you’ll be OK by yourself though-” Yoongi started but someone interfered.

“I’ll stay with him.”

Taehyung looked over and noticed Jungkook standing in the doorway. His heart stopped.

“No, you should go too-”

“I’m not leaving.” He sounded serious. “If I’m here, Yuna and your friends won’t have to worry so much. And they can go back to my place like you wanted them to.”

Yuna took his hand. “But what about you? You’ve literally done so much today.”

“I’ll be fine.” He kissed her lightly on the forehead. “And I can drive him back when he’s fully recovered too since his car is still at the beach, it just makes more sense for me to stay.”

“Yeah, I think we should take Jungkook’s word for it. He’ll take good care of Taehyung I promise, I’ve taught him well” Jimin smiled and slung an arm randomly around Yoongi’s shoulder.

He gave him a weird look but just went along with it.

“Alright, I guess I can trust him considering he saved Taehyung’s life.” Hoseok sighed. “We’ll see you tomorrow then OK? Rest well.”

He nodded slowly.

Yuna gave him a wary look, but eventually left with Jin who slugged Jungkook quickly in the arm before going.

Taehyung watched him as he sat down. He was still just in his white t-shirt and swim trunks. “Are you sure you don’t you want to go home and change-”

“I’m fine.”

“OK.”

Taehyung tried to sit himself up, but he was still too weak and dizzy.

Jungkook looked over. “Do you want some help?”

“No, I’m OK-”

He got up anyway and helped to prop Taehyung higher, comfortably against the bed. His hands sat firmly but carefully on his waist and shoulder, Taehyung looked at him anxiously. He was close to him, adjusting his pillows. The heat from his body put him slowly at ease, it was weird.

He cleared his throat then. “U-Um, thank you, for saving my life I mean.”

Jungkook just nodded and moved away, but Taehyung wanted to pull him back closer. He tried to force the thought away, but it wasn’t leaving.

“How did you even manage to find me? I was so far away from everyone.”

Jungkook sat down again and sighed in exasperation, tipping his head back. “I was watching you.”

Taehyung froze. “What?”

“Not what you wanted to hear right?” He looked directly at him, resting his chin on his palm. “But yeah, I was watching you.”

Taehyung stared at him, not really sure what to say.

“What?”

“Why were you watching me?”

Jungkook smirked and looked away, running a hand through his hair. “Is that even really important right now?”

He shook his head, looking down at his hands. “No, but either way, I seriously owe you for what you did today. So I was thinking I could come to the gallery with you. Just as a thanks for helping me-”

“Didn’t you just say no yesterday?”

“Well, yeah but-”

“So now you feel obligated to come or something?” They met eyes again but his look was cold now.

Taehyung frowned. “Why are you mad at me?”

“I’m not mad.”

“You said that I didn’t have to worry about it so why-”

“I said I’m not mad.” Jungkook pressed. “Why are we even talking about this, you should be resting.”

“I just, I want to do something for you since you literally saved my life today Jungkook.” Taehyung said. “But I don’t know what and you’re making me feel like an for even attempting to do it.”

He pinched the bridge of his nose. “Sorry...Today’s, just been rough. But I shouldn’t be taking my anger out on you.”

Taehyung watched him carefully.

“I mean, you were literally dead when I found you.” He said, sounding conflicted. “It was just kind of scary and surreal, so I don’t really know how to handle it.”

“I’m sorry.”

Jungkook shook his head. “Don’t apologize, it’s OK.”

Taehyung clenched his teeth, he felt so bad and stupid for what he put him through. His hand shook as he took off his covers carefully and forced himself to stand up, but his legs were trembling and numb.

“Hey, what the hell are you doing,” He stood up. “You shouldn’t be-”

Taehyung took a step forward and hugged him tightly, he stumbled back. “I-If I died today, Yuna wouldn’t have had anyone to protect her or to take care of her. She would be scared and all alone, so I seriously can’t thank you enough for what you did for me.”

Jungkook looked down at him blankly.

“But then again, I would at least feel a little bit OK; because she would have you right?”

A nervous look crept into his eyes that he didn’t understand. “Y-Yeah, she would.”

Taehyung moved way then but stumbled on his feet. Jungkook caught him quickly before he fell and they both tripped backwards onto the bed.

“Agh, geez. This is why you shouldn’t have gotten up, you can barely stand.” He sighed, moving himself off of him. But he stopped halfway and stared down, leaning over his body.

Taehyung was pinned underneath him, his arms trapping him on both sides. They both gazed at each other quietly.

Jungkook laughed. “Why do we keep ending up like this?”

“I-I don’t know.”

He tilted his head. “Should I just forget again?”

Taehyung punched him in the stomach and he doubled over in pain. “Don’t mock me.”

“Ow,” He groaned and lifted his head. “You’re lucky I like you or I swear to God I would have killed you by now.”

He grinned. “Well then I’m glad that you like me then.”

Jungkook smiled, brushing some hair out of his eye again.

Taehyung just studied him quietly, taking in his presence. Deciding to ignore all of the negative thoughts raking through his mind like they did last night, he just wanted to enjoy this for a second. Before he regretted it.

But what was so different from now compared to yesterday? It was clear that there was something between them. They were just both too scared to understand what it was.

“You look really nice in headbands by the way.” Jungkook said softly.

“Thank you.” Taehyung’s heart fluttered; why did that compliment make him feel so good? Was it because he’d actually noticed?

He sat up then and helped Taehyung properly back onto the bed.

“Get some sleep OK? You need rest.”

“Yeah,” He was starting to feel drowsy, but he wasn’t sure if it was just from sleep. “Where are you going to sleep though,”

“Don’t worry about me, I can fall asleep here.”

Taehyung lifted his head and handed him a pillow. “Here, to make you more comfortable.”

Jungkook took it slowly. “Thanks.”

He his side then, hugging himself tightly.

Jungkook hugged the pillow tightly.

“Good night.” They whispered to each other.