chapter 9

Secret Love Song
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Aren't you scared?"

Hyukjae took a sip of his strawberry milk and glanced to his side at the brunet next to him. "Scared of what?"

Donghae looked down at his lap and then back at the lit up city in front of them. After they had left their dorm, Hyukjae had brought the younger up to the roof of the building, where they were now sitting together, twenty stories up and most importantly, they were alone.

"What everyone will say about us."

Hyukjae stared at the brunet, who seemed too lost in his own thoughts to notice. Was he scared? He didn't feel scared. Who cares what everyone says about them anyway? This was Donghae, the one person he's ever loved and nobody was going to change that.

"No, I'm not," he older said honestly. Donghae just nodded. "Are you?"

Donghae shrugged. "Yes, a little bit. I just don't want our feelings to get hurt."

Hyukjae pulled the younger closer and wrapped an arm around Donghae's shoulders. "You know I won't let that happen, right?"

Donghae nodded and rested his head against the blond's shoulder. "I guess so."

"Are you alright?" Hyukjae asked, worried. Something about the brunet seemed off. "Talk to me."

"I'm just confused." Donghae replied. 

"Confused about what?"

"About us."

"What do you mean?" Hyukjae asked, but Donghae didn't answer for a few minutes. "Baby what's the matter?"

"Why do you stay?"

"Huh?"

"With me," Donghae clarified. "Why do you stay with me when you know that not a lot of people will accept us? Look at you, you could have any girl you want and everyone would accept it because it isn't wrong. But it is wrong to be with me, and you still stay. Why?"

"Because I love you," Hyukjae said. "Only you. Nobody else."

"But --"

"Hae, listen to me," Hyukjae requested. "Ten years ago when we met, I knew I was in love with you. I was a stupid, ignorant, bratty teenager, but the one thing I was sure about was what I felt for you. And I still feel it for you now, and there was never a time in all ten years that we've known each other that I haven't felt it for you."

"I knew right away that you were special to me. In all eighteen years of my life I had never felt anything for anybody else until I met you. So I knew the feelings were real, but I had no idea how to handle them," the older admitted, the younger's cheek with his thumb.

"I was scared at first. I just was because you... you're the most beautiful person I've ever met, inside and out," Hyukjae confessed. "You'll never know how much you mean to me, how important you are to me, so that's why I waited. I didn't want to scare you off, I didn't want to live a life without you in it so I waited those five years before I said anything."

The blond bit his lip and thought for a second before he continued. "Sometimes I still feel like the stupid teenager I was ten years ago because I still mess up just as bad as I did back then, and I'm so sorry. I would never try to hurt you. I love you so much and I just want to make you happy. I try to do everything I can to make you realize how much you've affected me, but I don't even think that's possible, because you're perfect and you take my breath away. Sometimes it makes me wonder why somebody like you would love somebody like me. What's so special about me?"

"This," Donghae whispered with a shy smile.

"What?"

"Exactly this," Donghae said, taking the blond's hand in his own and smiling up at him. "When you talk to me, and you tell me how much you love me and it makes me love you just as much, and maybe even more. I love everything about you. You're absolutely perfect for me. And I never stopped believing it. I am scared for what everyone else is going to say, but that doesn't mean that I won't stop loving you, and I know you won't stop loving me either."

"I could never," the blond promised and kissed the brunet's hand.

They sat for a minute or two, gazing at the darkened city with all of its sparkling lights and an indescribable feeling in their hearts. "Hyukjae?" Donghae broke the silence. The blond just let out a hum, unable to tear his eyes away from the breathtaking view. "What about this morning? Who was on the phone with you? It was so early in the morning, and you told them that you loved them before you hung up, so I thought..."

"That was Sora." The blond laughed at his boyfriend's jealousy. "I told her to call me once her flight landed, and she had gotten off the plane around the same time you and I were awake."

"Oh."

The older beamed and turne

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter