Chapter 3

When I'm with You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The door to the music shop chimed as Jungkook and Yeri walked in from their lunch. 

 

“Welcome back!” Wendy said cheerfully, smiling brightly at them. Her smile soon faded away when neither of them acknowledged her and continued to walk straight to the break area.

 

Neither of them said anything to one another and split ways as soon as they got into the backroom.

 

Jungkook plopped down at the break table where his friends were still sitting since lunch started. He didn’t bother greeting them and instead laid his head down on the table.

 

The rest of the boys looked at each other in confusion, not sure what was wrong with Jungkook. 

 

Taehyung mouthed to them, “What’s wrong with him?”

 

Everyone shrugged and continued to stare at Jungkook in silence, not knowing what happened between him and Yeri within this last hour. 

 

Jimin pointed to RM and motioned for him to say something to Jungkook. Although RM could sense that Jungkook wanted time to himself, he was worried about the younger one and wanted to see what was bothering him.

 

“Jungkook, are you alright?” 

 

A mumble came from Jungkook who still had his head down on the table. “No.” 

 

“What’s wrong?” asked RM.

 

Jungkook slowly lifted his head and looked at his friends. “Lunch was awful.”

 

Suga furrowed his brows and crossed his arms. “Why do you say that?”

 

“Because...there wasn’t anything for me to talk about.” Jungkook said as he buried his face in his hands.

 

“So you guys didn’t talk?” questioned Jin as he leaned up from his chair.

 

Sadness washed over Jungkook as his mind replayed his lunch date with Yeri. “We did, but she did most of the talking.” 

 

Not only did Jungkook feel sad but he was embarrassed. He finally got a chance to go out with his long time crush and he blew it. 

 

“It’s alright.” Taehyung started as he patted Jungkook on the shoulder, “Sometimes things don’t go as we want it to but it all works out in the end.”


 

--------------------


 

The workday was finally over and Jungkook was more than happy to go home after the rough day he had. He said goodbye to everyone and rushed out of the shop, causing his friends to wonder if he was going to be okay since they all normally hangout after their shifts end.

 

After stepping foot outside, Jungkook closed his eyes, tilted his head up to the sky, and inhaled a breath of fresh air. Memories of his horrible date started to dissipate as he felt the cool evening winds kiss his cheeks. He slowly opened his eyes and stared at the white clouds that were formed above him. 

 

“Tomorrow is a new day.” he said to himself quietly. His head dropped back down and he began walking home.

 

Upon approaching the apartment building, he saw a girl struggling to carry several grocery bags inside. As he got closer, he noticed it was his new neighbor. She didn’t know he was behind him and was startled when he reached out and grabbed the bags from her left hand. 

 

“Whoa,” she spun around with wide eyes and hugged the remaining grocery bags to guard them from being taken. Her actions almost made Jungkook crack a smile but he held it back. “What are you doing?” 

 

Jungkook’s voice came out sternly. “Helping you.”

 

He opened the door to the apartment building and held it open for her to walk through. When she didn’t move, he flicked his head motioning her to go inside.

 

“Thank you.” she said softly as she walked inside.

 

Joy let them both inside her apartment. The smell of Lavender filled the room.

 

“Sorry if you don’t like the smell.” Joy apologized as she placed the grocery bags down on her kitchen table. “Lavender relaxes me.”

 

Jungkook shook his head telling her that the smell was fine. He liked the scent of lavender as well and it made her apartment more inviting. He set the grocery bags down and let his eyes wander around her apartment. It was very clean and the decor made it very homey. She had paintings, pictures, and plants everywhere. 

 

A picture sitting on top of her kitchen counter grabbed his attention. It was a picture of her sitting on the beach with two younger girls.

 

Joy caught him staring at the picture and smiled softly. “They’re my younger sisters.” 

 

“Are they still living in Jeju Island?” Jungkook asked as he continued to observe the photo.

 

She was surprised he remembered where she was from and simply nodded. “Do you have any siblings?” she asked when a silence bloomed between them.

 

“An older brother.” Jungkook answered as he shook his hair with his hand, trying to avoid eye contact.

 

“Does he live in Seoul?”

 

Jungkook shook his head. “Busan.”

 

Joy nodded slowly as she ran out of things to talk about. She took off her backpack and went to set it down on her kitchen table but didn’t realize it was open so her belongings fell out onto the floor. 

 

“Oh no!” she screeched as she fell to the floor in an attempt to stop her items from falling out. A defeated sigh came from her as she looked at all her things sprawled out on the floor.

 

Feeling empathetic, Jungkook kneeled down and started gathering all of the items. It was a bunch of papers and a few beauty products like lipstick and blush, but something peeking out underneath all the papers caught his eye. He lifted the pape

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter