Chapter 6

no strings attached

 

Jimin was six when her parents divorced.

 

She couldn’t remember the details, and was too young to even understand how it started. The fights were still fresh in her mind though. The yelling and the heated arguments. Her parents used to be great, an equal combination of love and discipline, but their dispute had taken a toll on their parenting.

 

Her father neglected her at first, until she could no longer see him home at all. Her mother became moody, turning into a ticking time bomb that could detonate at any moment. Young Jimin had been sensible enough to tread around them carefully, hopeful that it would soon end.

 

But she didn’t realise she was already witnessing the destruction of a relationship. The death of love.

 

“Jimin?” her mother had entered her room one night, right after as the maids had tucked her into bed.

 

Jimin perked up, immediately smiling at the sight of her mother. They used to read her bedtime stories. Perhaps her mother was there to sing her to sleep, just like the old times. Perhaps the worst of the storm had passed.

 

“Your father would not be going home anymore.”

 

Jimin had been confused. She already knew that. “Yes, he hasn’t been in the house for weeks now.”

 

Her mother had looked sad then, but looking back, Jimin realised it was pity.

 

“No, honey. I meant that he would never come back again.”

 

“...ever?”

 

“Ever.”

 

Jimin blinked slowly. Why not? She did not understand. And she was sleepy. It was already way past her bedtime.

 

“Why?”

 

Her mother ran her hand through her hair. She looking pained. “We got divorced.”

 

Divorce.

 

Brilliant child as she was, she did not know what divorce meant and why it took her father away from her.

 

“I’m sure you’ve been affected by our disagreements during these past months, and I apologise for making you go through that. Thank you, Jimin, for being so strong.” her mother continued, and even at Jimin’s tender age she recognized her tone to be similar to the one she’s heard her using at public speeches–a trait she had passed on to Jimin now that she’s older. It’s a tone for when they’re nervous. “And for your peace of mind, we have decided to permanently separate. It’s for the best.”

 

Permanently separate.

 

Jimin’s mind swam, a thousand questions at once. Her mother continued explaining about custody and a bunch of other terms she did not know at the time, but her words went through Jimin’s ears without understanding.

 

Permanently separate.

 

What could that possibly mean?

 

“It would be better if you stop thinking of him as your father. You’re still young, so it wouldn’t be difficult to adjust and I know you’re a bright child so surely you must understand…”

 

Oh.

 

Jimin had laid on the bed awake then, mind racing after their talk was over, and only fell asleep in sheer exhaustion. Her mother’s last words to her that night still rang clear up to this day.

 

He doesn’t deserve us anymore. That’s what happens when you lose your worth and be less than perfect, Jimin–people get rid of you.

 

“You okay, Jimin-unnie?”

 

She blinked, yanked out of her thoughts and back to reality.

 

“You’ve been staring at that plant for quite some time now.”

 

She had been standing before one of the plants on the campus grounds and Aeri and Yizhuo had somehow popped up beside her without her noticing.

 

“It’s nothing.” she reassured them, eyes on the cocoon hanging on one of the stalks. “Just wondering if this one’s a butterfly or a moth.”

 

“Wha–oh, the cocoon.” she could see them exchange glances on her periphery. “Does it matter?” Yizhuo asked.

 

Did it matter?

 

Jimin used to believe it did. She still does.

 

How others perceive you doesn’t have to be necessarily true, don’t you agree?

 

But she’s not completely sure if it’s right anymore.

 

“Where are you guys headed to?” she asked instead of answering, tearing her gaze from the cocoon.

 

“We just have something to pick up at the admission office, and this little one still has a class.” Aeri answered, “We just started spreading the word, by the way. Everyone should know about it by tomorrow.”

 

Right. Winter had given them the go signal to tell people about their relationship earlier this morning. Jimin hadn't heard of anything yet but Aeri was right. It should be common knowledge by tomorrow.

 

“I saw her post on social media,” Yizhuo said, “You let her come over last Friday?”

 

Ah, yes. Winter had posted a vague photo of the documentary on Jimin’s TV, tagged her in it, and captioned it with I can watch thousands of documentaries as long as it’s with you <3

 

She had to admit, Winter’s really great at painting a picture that everyone will eat up. Almost everything on her SNS accounts were obvious allusions to Jimin. Jimin on the other hand, wasn’t as subtle in expressing her “affections”, uploading photos of Winter herself, captioned with simple hearts and stars. For some reason, she had started to associate the girl with stars. Perhaps it’s because of the twinkle in her eyes. Jimin didn’t want to think about it.

 

“She just had dinner and left.” she told Yizhuo.

 

“Unnie…” Yizhuo pleaded, “Please don’t be too comfortable around her.”

 

Jimin absently nodded, not really seeing why she was so worried. It had been clear that the younger girl was confident that Winter could be trusted. So she didn’t understand the reason for the warning.

 

Her friends soon left and Jimin resumed her walk to the parking lot. Her phone buzzed in her pocket but she ignored it, knowing it’s Winter.

 

She had been avoiding her the entire day. Last night was just embarrassing. To have an outburst like that while talking about critters…Jimin clearly had issues. She couldn’t stop thinking about how she reacted to Winter’s harmless remark, and dreaded having to meet her today. So she avoided her. For peace of mind.

 

She thought she’d be able to get away with it today but it turned out she had underestimated Winter. The girl was standing outside Jimin’s car, leaning against the hood with her arms crossed, obviously waiting.

 

Crap. Jimin her heels, attempting to get away, but Winter had already seen her.

 

“Yu Jimin!”

 

Her brain slammed on the breaks and she slowly turned, meeting Winter’s unamused gaze. She beckoned her over. Come here.

 

Jimin trudged over with a defeated sigh.

 

“So I’m finally seeing my girlfriend for the first time the entire day,” Winter said drily, “What’s up?”

 

“I’m heading home.”

 

“Is this about yesterday? Are you still mad?”

 

Mad? When did she get mad?

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“I upset you last time, didn’t I?” Winter said, “You kicked me out of your house.”

 

Oh. That. Jimin fiddled with the keys in her pocket. “I wasn’t mad.” she revealed quietly, “You just surprised me, is all.”

 

Winter fixed her with a curious look but Jimin chose not to elaborate, only gesturing to her car. They climbed into the vehicle. She the engine but her hands stayed on her lap.

 

Jimin started with a long sigh, eyes fixated on the vehicle parked across. “I’ve been…burdened by expectations since…since before I was even born, perhaps.” she finally said, now comfortable to bare herself in the privacy of her car. “And it was…surprising to hear your thoughts, and to know that there could be people that think the same way as you do. That how others perceive you doesn’t have to be necessarily true, that despite what others think, at the end of the day, you’re still you. And that’s enough.”

 

She kept her eyes on the car. It’s too quiet, the rumble of her engine becoming increasingly deafening. She squirmed. Okay, why did she say all that? She hired Winter to be her fake girlfriend, not her therapist.

 

Winter’s stare was melting off the side of her face so she turned and met her gaze with an annoyed, “What is it?”

 

“Nothing. I just didn’t think you’d memorise that.”

 

Jimin flushed. Why did she even think Winter would ever take her seriously? “I-I’ve been thinking about it for quite some time, okay?”

 

Winter’s smile is small. And Jimin would dare say gentle. It’s…comforting. Her flush receded, and she relaxed on her seat. “You should keep doing it.”

 

“Doing what?”

“Thinking about it.” Winter said, “You say you’re surprised but you don’t actually believe it, right? That those words you memorised are true.”

 

Jimin swallowed. felt dry still, heart thumping at hearing the truth.

 

“You’re still carrying that burden. You still think you have to meet people’s expectations of you, and it’s not going away anytime soon.” Winter continued, turning serious but the softness remained in her gaze and Jimin couldn’t tear her eyes away. “Regardless of whether you succeed in that pursuit of perfection or not, I still think you’re beautiful, in the entire sense of the word.”

 

Winter’s lips curved in a gentle arc, corners of her eyes creasing and Jimin could only melt, warmth blooming in her chest, blood pumping like molten lava and–what is this? What is this?

 

“I’d like it if you remember that there’s at least one person who thinks so and would think so, no matter what.” her lips quirked up a little higher, “Memorise it. It shouldn’t be hard, knowing you.”

 

“You mean it?”

 

“I do.” her smile widened to a toothy grin, ghost of a dimple deepening. “Now, let’s go get you somewhere to cheer you up, yes?”

 

 

***

 

 

Asphalt turned to dirt, skyscrapers turned to looming trees and shrubberies, blue sky burnt to a golden red. With the way Yu Jimin’s eyes kept darting from side to side as she drove through the long stretch of the country, Minjeong could tell that she was anxious.

 

“What exactly did you mean by cheering me up?” Jimin asked, confirming her suspicions. “You’re not planning to get rid of me, are you?”

 

Minjeong rolled her eyes. Silly girl. “I will if you keep asking stupid questions.”

 

Jimin pressed her lips together in a thin line, miming a zipper through , dimple deepening on her cheek.

 

“Turn right over there,” Minejong instructed. The dirt road crunched beneath the vehicle, just barely perceptible. “You should be honoured, you know. I’m bringing you to one of my secret places.”

 

“Secret places to hide dead bodies?”

 

“Keep going and yours might be the first.”

 

Jimin chuckled lightly, an airy, pleasant sound. “First? You mean you’ve never done it before?”

 

Minjeong closed her eyes impatiently. “I admit I often slay with my beauty but I don’t literally kill people, Jimin. I their money dry, yes, but I don't do murder. That’s disgusting, and would ruin my nails.”

 

“Oh.” she took a moment to process that information, “That’s…surprising.”

 

Minjeong in an offended gasp, “Excuse me? Just what do you take me for?” she exclaimed. She refused to believe she looked like a serial killer. No, sir. “Look, Ms. Yu, let me lay down my job description for you.” she shifted to face her. This girl needs some serious educating. “I don’t kill. There are people for that. I’m just a harmless menace who hates the rich. Capeesh?”

 

“Yeah?” Jimin cast her a sidelong glance. There’s a smile playing on her lips. “Then do you hate me too?”

 

That made Minjeong pause. Afternoon sunlight’s molten gold limned her features, accentuating the majestic slope of her nose and the plush curve of her lips, bouncing off glassy skin. Minjeong’s fingers twitched, itching to reach and touch.

 

Did she hate her?

 

That’s a foolish question.

 

Minjeong just huffed out a small laugh, shifting her attention to the road ahead. “You’d be surprised,”

 

They drove in silence until Jimin spoke again.

 

“I don’t think I’ve thanked you enough, by the way,” she said and Minjeong mentally grimaced at where the conversation was going. She could take everything the world could possibly throw her way but sincerity. And Jimin just seemed to be overflowing with that.

 

Nasty. Downright horrendous.

 

Minjeong shifted so her back now faced Jimin, to hide whatever face she might make. Perhaps it was the long car ride, or maybe it’s how emotionally taxing her conversations with Jimin had been but she’s tired of putting up a front, at least for now.

 

“You already thanked me last time.”

 

“Not enough,” Jimin repeated, “I’m making you deal with so much more than you bargained for. Sorry about that.”

 

Minjeong frowned, running a hand through her hair and making sure it covered her surely red ears. “I don’t know, millions of won covers much more than you signed me up for.” she sighed. Trees blurred past, an endless green. “Yu Jimin, listen properly. I’m only going to say this once.”

 

The car slowed, enough that Minjeong could properly look at each shrub. “I’m listening.”

 

Minjeong chewed on her lower lip. Ah, it. this soft mood she had gotten into. this weird, cringey, sappy atmosphere. Jimin and her tendency to undervalue herself.

 

“Between us, you don’t have to say things like ‘thank you’ or ‘I’m sorry’.” she uttered a little too quietly that she worried Jimin might’ve missed it but the girl hummed in acknowledgement, egging her to continue. “You’re not an ordeal that I have to deal with. Or anyone else’s. Remember that.”

 

Jimin was quiet for a while and Minjeong counted eleven trees before she spoke again, “Then can I confide in you more often? Like earlier.”

 

“That would cost an additional 50 million won.” Minjeong said, lighthearted, if only to dispel this stifling air about them. She turned though, smiling at Jimin. As long as you want to.

 

The straight path led to some twists and turns that Minjeong guided Jimin through and the dirt road turned to sand, trees thinning and they eventually emerged to a beach clearing, rocky and deserted but peaceful.

 

Jimin’s jaw hung open. “Wow,” she muttered, stopping the car. Big waves slammed against boulders, sending salty mist to the air. “There’s a sea here?”

 

“As you can see, yes.” Minjeong unbuckled her seatbelt.

 

“How? This is a landlocked area.”

 

“Stop questioning, Socrates. It’s obviously because of the aliens. Let’s go.”

 

Minjeong stepped out of the car and walked around the rock formations to get to the shore. She took in a deep breath, inhaling sea scented breeze, and letting the winds whip her hair about. She squinted through the salty spray, eyes locked on the horizon where the sun was beginning its descent.

 

She closed her eyes, thinking about the first and last time she’s been here. The car engine died down and she soon felt a presence beside her, spring flowers and honey overpowering seasalt.

 

“There’s no one here?” Jimin asked.

 

“No one but us.” Minjeong confirmed.

 

Waves filled in the long silence between two girls appreciating nature. “How did you find this beach?”

 

Minjeong’s lips twitched. Curious, this one. She took another lungful of air, bracing herself. “I was on the run and I stumbled into this place.”

 

“On the run?”

 

“My warden was hunting me down because I ran away from home.” Minjeong casually revealed. “I took refuge here for quite some time.”

 

“How old were you?”

 

“Sixteen.”

 

Winds whistled and the sea splashed. It’s like space and time stood still as Minjeong waited for Jimin to say something but there was only silence. She opened her eyes. The sky had dimmed to a purple pink dusk, the final shreds of the sun’s mighty rays before getting swallowed into the night.

 

She turned to look at Jimin, wondering what’s gotten her so quiet, only to find her already staring. Minjeong didn’t flinch. Jimin’s always staring. For some reason, she’s always watching, eyes bearing something that was more than the typical admiration. Something far gentler, as Jimin had always been. Something that went along the lines of curiosity and interest, attempting to peer into her soul. Minjeong never cowered away. Behind her walls were another set of walls, backed by another, and another; an impenetrable barrier taken down only if she wished.

 

She did not wish so.

 

“What is it?” she asked, breaking the peaceful bubble of silence.

 

“Nothing.” Jimin dropped her gaze. It’s not nothing. “I was just wondering what I was doing when I was that age.”

 

Around that time, she was probably sent abroad for her studies. In the most prestigious of schools, driven to and fro by a personal chauffeur. Literally with everything a sixteen year-old could even ask for.

 

Minjeong fought back a scoff.

 

“Maybe I should’ve ran away too.”

 

Minjeong couldn’t help it. She scoffed. “You probably won’t survive in the streets.”

 

“You did.” Jimin shot back, “What makes you so different?”

 

“I seduced people for their money,” Minjeong said, an edge to her voice. “Stole food from the stores, wallets from pockets, and fought so I could keep them.” she laughed, hollow. “I don’t think you’re built for that. The other kids would’ve eaten you alive.”

 

“I have a black belt in taekwondo.”

 

“So you do. But they’ve won in different sorts of competitions. The kind where there aren’t any rules, aren’t any referees. The kind where the loser dies.” Minjeong shook her head. “Enough about that. Bottom line is, you wouldn’t have met me if you did.” she quipped, attempting to lighten the mood with her usual teasing.

 

“I would have,” Jimin stubbornly argued.

 

Minjeong sighed, getting tired of their unnecessary dispute. “This country is a big place, Jimin. Especially when you have no means of transportation.”

 

“The fact that we met in this universe speaks volumes.” Jimin tilted her head to the side, like she could not fathom why Minjeong thought it was so impossible. “Two souls don’t find each other by simple accident. If I found you in this life, then I’d find you in that one.”

 

Something in Jimin’s gaze shifted, an intensity that was unfamiliar even with her years of observing people. She found herself holding her breath.

 

Why was she so adamant in finding her?

 

Night fell upon them, blanketing the beach in darkness save for the soft glow of the moon and its reflection on the wily waves. And it's unsettling how Minjeong’s only thought was how there were surely an abundance of twinkling stars overhead, but Jimin chose to look at her.

 

Disgusting. Horrid. Absolutely sickening.

 

Jimin’s ringtone blared and broke through their tender moment. Minjeong wrenched her gaze away, taking a step put distance between them, and allowed herself to breathe.

 

“Excuse me,” Jimin murmured, taking the device to her ear, “Hello?”

 

Minjeong glared at the rocks. What the hell? Was she getting soft now? Her brows furrowed. Wake up, Kim Minjeong. This isn’t you.

 

“Ah–yes, acting chairman.” something in Jimin’s voice tightened that made her forget herself again, turning at once in concern.

 

Concern.

 

Concern.

 

Minjeong should go to therapy.

 

Jimin held her gaze. A quiet plea. Stay. “I–yes, sir. I’ve been well–” she stopped abruptly, flinching. She cast her eyes down. “No, it’s not like that. I’m…I’m doing my best.”

 

She stopped, listening to whatever the caller was saying. The way she turned paler and paler by the second and the shuddering breaths she took told Minjeong that whatever she’s hearing was taking a toll on her. She took her hand in an attempt to comfort. Jimin immediately latched on to her, cold clammy fingers tightening like a vice grip.

 

“No, sir. I–yes, I understand.”

 

Moments later, the call ended with Jimin not being able to put a word in. She sagged as soon as it did, knees buckling dangerously that Minjeong instinctively stepped forward to catch her, her other arm going around her waist because Jimin refused to let go of her hand.

 

“Hey,” she softly called, trying to meet Jimin’s eyes. “You alright? What was that?”

 

“Nothing.”

 

“Stop saying nothing when it’s clearly something.” Minjeong huffed. “You paid me to be your girlfriend. I’m bound to do this much, and sworn to confidentiality too. Come on, talk to me. Abuse your girlfriend privileges.” she attempted to joke in an effort to calm her down.

 

“It’s just my step-father. He checks up on me every now and then.” Jimin sighed. “Sorry. Talking to him always drains me.”

 

From the looks of it, it’s more of a nervous breakdown. “You don’t say.”

 

Jimin pitched forward, forehead softly landing on Minjeong’s shoulder.

 

“Can we stay like this for a while?”

 

“Of course.” Minjeong’s hand went from her waist to her hair, delicately running her fingers through the wind-tousled tresses.

 

They stood close, with only the moon and the stars to bear witness to this act of violating contract. Minjeong kept combing her hair, listening to Jimin’s breath slowly going back to its normal pace.

 

“He asked how I was doing,” Jimin spoke after a while, “Updated me of my mother’s condition. There is still no progress, whatsoever. I-I don’t deserve to be doing well.”

 

Minjeong squeezed her hand. What a gaslighting prick, shaming her for having a life by reminding her of her mother’s condition as though she did not visit the damned hospital every single day.

 

“That’s not true. Your mother would prefer you be alive and well than neglect yourself because of her.” Minjeong told her quietly despite the rage that made her flesh tremble. Why was Jimin surrounded by terrible men in her life? “Don’t listen to him. Your mother’s condition would not change if you become miserable.”

 

Jimin hummed, nodding against her shoulder, “...you’re right.”

 

“You are kind,” the way she said it made it sound like an insult. “Much too kind. You should stand up for yourself sometimes. Don’t let them walk all over you. You hear that?”

 

Jimin nodded again, “Okay.”

 

Minjeong sighed. Sometimes, Jimin could really be a little too pliant. It must be this trait that Yizhuo exploited to make her agree to this fake dating idea.

 

Foolish. Gullible. Unguarded.

 

How irritating. It made icky feelings well up out of nowhere. Made Minjeong feel protective.

 

Hell.

 

She shifted, forcing Jimin to straighten up and look at her with confusion.

 

“Do you know what I did when I first got here years ago?”

 

“What?”

 

Minjeong detached herself from her and faced the sea. She took a deep breath and cupped her hands around .

 

“GET LOST, MOTHERERS!”

 

Jimin yelped at her sudden shout. Minjeong grinned at her. “It feels really nice. Give it a try.”

 

“Um–no, thank you.”

 

“STOP EXPECTING TOO MUCH FROM JIMIN AND MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS YOU SELF-ENTITLED JERKS!”

 

Jimin held back a smile, like she always did. It’s just not right. It should be illegal. It’s just plain criminal, the way her eyes crinkled at the corners and she looked down at the ground like she’s a little self-conscious about allowing herself a moment of happiness.

 

Minjeong wanted to change that.

 

“Come on! Just scream! Get it off your chest!”

 

Jimin hesitated, opening and closing , before– ‘Stop calling my number you–you sorry excuse of a step-father!”

 

“YEAH! STOP CALLING HER, YOU WRINKLED PEANUT!”

 

Jimin laughed, “Just–” she cleared , inhaled deeply, and from the top of her lungs, “GET OUT OF MY LIFE, SCUMBAG!”

 

Minjeong enthusiastically nodded her head in agreement, “YOU ARE FULL OF !”

 

“LEAVE ME ALONE!”

 

“ OFF!”

 

“STOP BLAMING EVERYTHING ON ME LIKE IT’S MY FAULT!”

 

She stepped back, huffing at the exertion. Light had returned to her eyes, hair dishevelled by the wind. Minjeong liked this look better on her.

 

“It’s exhilarating, isn’t it?” she grinned.

 

Jimin nodded, with a smile of her own. “I don’t think I’ve ever yelled like this before.”

 

“I can tell.” Minjeong retorted, “Well, let it all out. I’ll support you.”

 

Just like that, their “date” concluded with more profanity shouted to the open ocean, and Minjeong echoing her agreement in everything that Jimin yelled.

 

 

***

 

It’s a sunny morning. The air was still humid from last night, but beneath the canopy of trees, it’s almost a warm day. Overhead, clouds kept stretching instead of moving, as though waiting for something.

 

Jimin crossed the university grounds with an uncharacteristic spring to her steps. She almost smiled at the eyes staring at her, but decided against it last minute. They would probably freak out if she did.

 

She did not hold back from greeting the librarian, however, offering a small smile as she entered the library, heading straight to their usual table where her friends were already sitting.

 

“Good morning,” Jimin took a seat, swinging her bag on the table.

 

Her friends stared at her. Even Yizhuo perked up from being face-planted on the table.

 

“Wow,” Aeri said, “You’re not wearing your hard-working face for once.”

 

Jimin just shrugged. had become hoarse after all the shouting from yesterday. “It is a good morning.” she took out her laptop, booting it up.

 

Aeri snickered, “Not for Yizhuo though,”

 

Jimin smiled knowingly, “Zhong Chenle?”

 

“Yup.”

 

The youngest groaned into the desk. “I can’t work with him. I just cannot.” she huffed, “He’s the single, most obstinate man I’ve ever had the displeasure to meet.”

 

Jimin raised a brow at Aeri, who snickered in return, shaking her head and continuing on with her work on her laptop.

 

“I take it that your project isn’t going well?” she gently prodded. Her computer had and she navigated her files for her paper.

 

Yizhuo just harrumphed, feet kicking under the table. Jimin decided to leave her be and let her sulk in solitude and started reviewing what she had written so far instead. It’s been a challenge, considering income taxation had been a subject she’s unsure with but Winter had offered to help when she mentioned it on their car ride back from the beach–which reminds her, she had to go pick her up in–she checked the time–twenty minutes.

 

“Did you go out with Winter yesterday?” Yizhuo finally spoke up, looking up at her from where she was squishing her cheek on the tabletop.

 

“I did,” Jimin answered, glancing at her friend to gauge her expression. She’s always been prickly about Jimin spending more time with Winter than necessary. “Didn’t she post it on social media?” she asked, since her fake girlfriend, ever the professional, had always dutifully documented each date on her Instagram, keeping the nosy updated with their outings.

 

Yizhuo’s face pinched to a scowl, “She didn’t.”

 

Jimin stopped scrolling. Oh. Maybe she forgot? Did she not manage to take pictures?

 

Either way, it’s…nice. Kind of like a little secret. Somehow, it’s thrilling, sending a tingle in her stomach.

 

“Where did you go?” Aeri asked, slipping her headphones off her ears.

 

“To the beach,”

 

“Damn, that sounds fun.” Aeri whistled. “Let us tag along next time. Not now though. I got deadlines lined up.” she despaired.

 

Jimin chuckled, “Don’t we all,” she said, “I’ll talk to Winter about it though.”

 

“Why do you have to talk to her about it? Like you need her permission.” Yizhuo scoffed, “As if you’re actually dating.” she grumbled and Aeri snorted, giggling under her breath.

 

Jimin flushed and accidentally skipped to the last page. She cleared , “She’s the one who does all the planning, so it only makes sense that I tell her first, no?”

 

Her phone vibrated against the desk. A reminder to pick up Winter written on the screen. She immediately saved her work, out of instinct and not because she’s actually made progress.

 

“‘Fetch Winter Kim’” Aeri read, raising a questioning brow.

 

“She offered to help me with my paper.” Jimin explained.

 

“Does she know anything about business management?”

 

Jimin just shrugged, pocketing her phone. “She knows something about everything. Something about all-knowing benevolency whatever.”

 

“Why do you have to pick her up?” Yizhuo’s whining again, frowning at her. “I’m sure she’s perfectly capable of going here on her own.”

 

Jimin patiently smiled at her, “Can’t miss a chance to flaunt our relationship. Or so she says.” she took her wallet from her bag just in case Winter wanted to get anything on their way back. She knew how taxing those long biology lessons could be. Jeno used to lament over them all the time. “Be back soon.”

 

Her friends watched her stand and rush out of the library until she disappeared behind rows of bookcases.

 

“Our Jimin has become such a good actress, don’t you think?” Aeri mused aloud.

 

Yizhuo just huffed, scowling deeper.

 

Jimin arrived outside Winter’s class just as their lecture ended. She stood in the distance, leaning against the wall while she waited for Winter to step out. Throngs of students passed her, numbers slowly dwindling but she still did not spot the look of perfected calm that she had grown accustomed with.

 

When the last student exited the room and there was still no Winter in sight, Jimin’s brows started to crease with worry. She pushed herself off the wall and peeked inside the lecture hall.

 

There she is.

 

But she was facing a man. Jimin could recognize that figure everywhere, and had spent two years familiarising it. The sight of him made Jimin’s sigh of relief get stuck in .

 

‘...I already bought us tickets,” Jeno was saying, “I heard it’s really interesting–”

 

Winter looked so done. “No,”

 

The flat out rejection took Jeno aback. “Why not? You don’t have a schedule after 5 and–”

 

“No, because I do not want to, Lee Jeno.” Winter interrupted exasperatedly, rolling her eyes. “It seemed to me that a brilliant man like you would get the message the first time. Turns out I was wrong. Or perhaps you are not as exceptional as people claim you to be. Either way, let me spell it out for you: I am not and will never be interested in you, neither am I available. A simple statement for a simple man, don’t you think?”

 

Jimin winced. She eyed Jeno, but she could not see his expression from where she was standing. “But–” he started to say.

 

“Surely, you understand it now. Or do you need me to break it into a much simpler form? Feed it one by one into each of your brain cells?” Winter sassed, looking bored out of her mind. When Jeno did not immediately reply, she shifted her hold on her bag. “If that’s all then I would like to leave. My girlfriend is waiting for me.”

 

Jimin’s heart skipped a beat. Jeno stopped Winter from leaving, grabbing her arm.

 

“So those aren’t rumours?” he demanded, voice low. “You’re dating Yu Jimin?”

 

Winter held her chin up, meeting his gaze with her cool one. “I am.”

 

He started to laugh. “Wow,” he breathed out, “I don’t know if you’re telling the truth but I’m saying this out of experience: you shouldn’t waste your time with someone so boring.”

 

Something in Winter shifted and Jimin shuddered at the look that took over her face.

 

Downright murderous.

 

And then she smiled, and somehow that was scarier than her glare.

 

“I’m craving chitterlings. Do you know how they take the chicken’s rectum to cook that dish?” she asked, voice lowering that Jimin strained to listen. “They grasp the head,” she mimed with her hands, “And slit its throat. Blood would gush out. Drip. Drip. Drip. Can you imagine that?”

 

Oh dear.

 

Jimin had to step in before Winter could scar her ex-boyfriend for life.

 

“Let go of her, Jeno.”

 

They turned to her in unison. Jimin sent a pointed look at Winter who rolled her eyes and yanked her wrist out of Jeno’s grip.

 

Okay. One problem down.

 

“What are you doing here?”

 

Jimin mentally grimaced at the sharpness of his voice. Their first conversation since their breakup wasn't going as well as she had hoped.

 

“I got tired of waiting.” she replied, moving to stand between him and Winter, “So I decided to come in.”

 

She could see him process the implication. “Ha,” he scoffed, “Bull. As if you of all people would do such an unorthodox thing. Drop the act, Jimin. You’d never do this. Your father would never let you.”

 

Jimin’s heart beat erratically, stomach twisting to pretzels but her simmering blood overpowered them all. As if sensing her internal conflict, Winter took hold of her hand, giving it a gentle squeeze.

 

I’ve been secretly in love with you after all this time

 

Right. Okay. She got this.

 

“That man is not my father and he will never be.” she retorted sharply, trepidation quickly turning into hot fury. “I’m dating Winter out of my own accord and I don’t need my step-father’s or your permission.”

 

His eyes narrowed to slits. “Are you serious?” she held his gaze with a firm one of her own. “You are serious.” his laughter was empty and hollow, “I can’t believe this.”

 

“You don’t have to believe it. Her personal affairs are none of your business anymore.” Winter joined in, sounding gratingly cheerful, “You lost that right when you decided you got tired of such a wonderful woman a month ago.”

 

Jeno glared at her, gritting his teeth. “Why does it have to be her?” he asked Jimin. “Why her…a girl…of all people… Since when did you like girls?”

 

Jimin chose to ignore his last question, “I think you know why. You’ve been pursuing her yourself, after all.”

 

“Ah, yes.” Winter interjected, “How I tire of his lengthy propositions of movies and coffee and whatnot. Such a chore to stay awake during the entire tirade…” she sighed dramatically, “Men, am I right?”

 

Jeno looked like he wanted to punch her. Jimin shoved Winter behind her just in case, but the girl still peeked over her shoulder. Knowing her, she’s probably making faces at her ex-boyfriend right now.

 

“She’s my girlfriend, Jeno,” Jimin continued, just putting it out there in case she hadn’t made herself clear enough. “With all due respect, please leave her alone.”

 

He looked pained now, opening and closing his mouth but no words came out. Winter snickered behind her.

 

“B-But…But she’s…she’s–” he cut himself off, not knowing where to start.

 

“Educated? Beautiful? Gay? Not you?” Jimin filled in for him in mindless indignation. This was not the 17th century, so why was he making a big deal that her girlfriend was…well, a girl? “Who I date is none of your concern. I am no longer your responsibility, as you are no longer mine. I find it extremely rude of you to question my decisions. I always thought you were a decent man. But now you’re making me think twice about that.” she tugged on Winter’s hand. “Come on, babe. I tire of this conversation.”

 

She dragged Winter out of the room and fumed as they made their way to the library, glaring at everything and everyone on their path. Had Jeno always been that much of, as Winter had put it, an ?

 

“Hey,” Winter called as Jimin burnt a blazing trail through the grounds. She squeezed her hand, “Yu Jimin.”

 

“Hm?” Jimin slowed down, momentarily forgetting her ire. “What’s wrong? Do you want to get something to eat?”

 

Winter was grinning, been snickering this whole time and Jimin was too preoccupied to notice. “No, but did you really have to roast him like that?”

 

Jimin’s face dipped to a frown. “He was talking nonsense about us.”

 

Winter’s brows rose. There’s a smile playing on her lips. “Appreciate it and all but…baby, aren’t you supposed to win him back?”

 

Jimin huffed. “Didn’t you tell me to stand up for myself?”

 

“Yes, but…” Winter cut herself off, shaking her head. “Never mind. Let’s get boba to cool you off, yeah?”

 

“Okay.”

 

 

***

 

 

The hospital was the closest to a second home Jimin could ever have. Not only because she visits everyday, but also because the woman who made a house feel like home was there. She inhaled the scent of lavender from the diffuser mixed with antiseptics and an odd calm settled in her stomach, as it always had.

 

Her mind wandered in the stillness of it all, unfavourably going back a year ago. Fate truly was incalculable, with how one’s life could be perfect one moment, and then shattered the next.

 

It happened so suddenly, so unexpectedly, that Jimin still got whiplash thinking about it. She had been at the university as usual, attending her classes as usual, chatting with her friends as usual, blissfully ignorant of the impending doom. She had been working on her coursework as she always had when she got the call.

 

An emergency. Her mother was involved in a car accident and had been rushed to the operating room.

 

She had completely shut down then, her body and self a separate entity as her entire world seemed to crash and burn while her mind went autopilot, rushing to the hospital and mechanically filling in papers with the help of her mother’s secretary. She paced outside the OR until the night passed and the sun peeked over the horizon yet darkness still loomed over her, turning even darker still when the doctor finally came out to deliver the news.

 

Multiple limb fractures. Broken ribs. Brain haemorrhage.

 

She could barely remember Jeno arriving just in time to catch her before she fell, could barely even remember her knees giving up beneath her at all. Everything was suddenly out of place, out of order, and she reeled at the abruptness of it all.

 

Yet she did not cry. Not with Jeno, not with her step-father, not with their company’s employees, not even alone with her mother whose words echoed still even in such a tragedy.

 

Crying is a sign of vulnerability, and in this dog eat dog world, you do what you must to stay alive.

 

Only the moon, the stars, and the four walls of her bedroom bore witness to her tears.

 

She had come so far, sitting with her unconscious mother now, and not having to fight the urge to cry. She watched her sleeping form, relaxed and peaceful for once with the absence of the ever present crease between her brows.

 

Dr. Jeon was currently in the operating room right now, as Nurse Jang had informed her, which meant that there would likely be nobody to join her in her quiet musings.

 

Jimin wet her lips. Opened them once, twice, pressing them together resolutely before eventually parting them again.

 

“I–” it was so quiet that the slight crack of her voice sounded deafening. She winced. “Um. H-Hey, mom.”

 

Silence.

 

Jimin shifted on her seat. “This is kind of making me feel stupid, not gonna lie,” she muttered under her breath. Okay, try again. “It’s me, Jimin. Dr. Jeon told me that talking to you would help so…yeah.” She cleared and fiddled with her fingers. “I’ve been…well, if you’re wondering. Though, I mean–I would’ve been better if you’re conscious.”

 

She chuckled, easing into the situation and finding that there was no harm in speaking with her sleeping mother after all. Sighing, she slumped on her seat, “Actually–no, I haven’t been well. I’ve been devastated since that fateful night until now. The only thing I got better at is coping. But your…husband, he…he says I’m not supposed to be. He called last night. He’s been calling a lot to ask about Jeno because he broke up with me and–”

 

She stopped herself, taking a deep breath. She’s rambling. If she was awake, her mother would’ve hit her over the head by now. She should at least coherently organise her story in a chronological manner. Holding her mother’s hand, she recounted each event from the very beginning.

 

She told her of how Jeno had suddenly broken up with her. How her step-father had been most displeased at the turn of events and made sure she understood that her mother would’ve been disappointed if she knew. So she apologised, for being a disappointment.

 

She talked about how she had panicked at that time. Enough to make the insane decision of bailing a criminal out of jail. She spoke of Winter–of her smooth words and disarming smiles. Of her superior intellect and cunning. Of her powerful way with words that nobody–or at least Jimin–could never say no to. Of the heart of gold that she desperately hid beneath an air of deception as though it was something to be ashamed of.

 

At some point she felt the searing pressure of her tears pushing from the back of her eyes and at some point she struggled to speak, voice cracking with grief and a tumultuous longing that had captured her heart.

 

Until she started talking about Winter. The mere uttering of her name ruined the increasingly depressing mood she was getting into and the more she talked about her, the more she grew irate. Yet it was when she was recounting their silly antics that she cracked her first smile.

 

When she finished it was already well into the night and her chest felt lighter than it had ever been for the past year.

 

She reached out, gingerly brushing a stray lock of hair from her mother’s face.

 

“I miss you. A lot.” she admitted softly, tears welling up, “Come back soon?”

 

No response.

 

Still, she refused to cry. Not until she got her reply.

 

That’s a promise.

 

 

***

 

 

It was probably obvious by now that Jimin had grown dangerously accustomed to Winter’s presence. She shuffled anxiously under the shade of plum blossoms, eyes trained on the gates to the university grounds, waiting for a certain brunette to arrive.

 

It was…strange to find the space beside her empty after almost a month of being stuck with the girl, and she found that the whispers seemed to be louder when she’s alone. Somehow she had started to associate Winter’s presence to her peace of mind. After all, it was easier to deal with the girl’s antics than to acknowledge the ever present judgement pinned upon her.

 

Embarrassing.

 

She shrunk further into the tree’s shadow.

 

No, she shouldn’t dwell on it too much. If she ignored it enough, surely it would go away, right?

 

A cool puff of air hit her nape. She jumped and yelped, whirling around.

 

“Hello, gorgeous. You look lonely. Are you waiting for someone? A girlfriend, perhaps?”

 

Jimin rolled her eyes, huffing and frowning indignantly. “Yes. But apparently she’s too busy sneaking around people’s backs.” she narrowed her eyes.

 

“Oh, not people. Only you, I’m sure. Then can I accompany you instead?”

 

Jimin took the arm offered, snorting a little. “Careful. My girlfriend might just steal all your wealth.”

 

Winter laughed, “Not if I already stole her greatest fortune.”

 

They started walking. She’s pretty today too, in her plaid shirt and ripped jeans, hair freely dancing with the petals in the spring breeze. Jimin noticed people staring and unlinked their arms only to put hers around Winter’s shoulders. The girl went rigid for a split second, but perhaps it was just her imagination.

 

“Aeri mentioned she’d want to hang out with us sometime.” Jimin remembered, “Yizhuo too.”

 

“Yizhuo too?” Winter repeated incredulously.

 

“Yes, Winter. Yizhuo too.” Jimin affirmed drily. “She might be irritable most of the time but I’m sure she’d want to join us. What do you think?”

 

“What do you mean what do I think?” Winter lifted a brow, “What do you think? You’re the one paying.”

 

Jimin shrugged, “I don’t mind.”

 

Winter narrowed her eyes at her, “You’re vibrating. You are definitely excited for this,”

 

Jimin cleared , a bit embarrassed. It’s still so startling to have her expressions so easily read, while at the same time she’s relieved knowing she did not have to voice out her emotions for Winter to know.

 

“It sounds fun.” she admitted, “It’s been a while since I went out with them, since I’ve been stuck babysitting a little thief.”

 

Winter let out an offended gasp, “If there’s anyone doing the babysitting, it would be me.” she pinched Jimin’s waist, causing her to squeak. “Where should we go?”

 

“I told them about the beach and Aeri mentioned she wanted to go to one too.”

 

Winter hummed thoughtfully. She had this adorable habit of furrowing her brows when she thinks. “I can arrange that. We can compare schedules to set a date and–” she suddenly stopped in her tracks, eyes locked on something ahead of them. “Jimin,” she called, freezing Jimin before she could turn and look.

 

There’s an edge to her voice that got Jimin frowning, “What’s wrong?”

 

Winter smiled and Jimin knew she was putting on a show. “Don’t turn around.” she ordered, reaching up to remove a petal stuck on Jimin’s hair with all her rehearsed gentleness.

 

Jimin forced the frown off her face, trying to read Winter’s expression but everything was shut away from the world except for the soft look she wanted everyone to see.

 

“Is it Jeno?” she guessed.

 

“Yes,” Winter cupped her cheek, touch soft but she knew it was so she couldn’t turn even if she wanted to.

 

“Why are we avoiding him?”

 

“He, uhh…” Winter’s eyes shifted for a split-second, and then she sighed, “Fine. See for yourself. Just don’t make it obvious.”

 

Jimin nodded and Winter slowly lowered her hand, a tap on her waist urging her to resume walking. She waited for a moment before allowing herself to look.

 

Her eyes darted around, struggling to spot Jeno.

 

"There. 1 o'clock. Second bench." Winter ventriloquized.

 

She followed, straining through the students dotting the grounds--oh, there he was, sitting on the bench. He was laughing, eyes reduced to twinkling crescents. A group of students moved out of her line of sight, revealing her ex-boyfriend sitting with a girl. He leaned closer. Their faces drew close. The distance between them closed, lips meeting in a kiss.

 

She could hear Winter calling her name and tugging on her hand. But she couldn't look away. Jeno opened his eyes as they parted and met her gaze, as though sensing her looking.

 

He smirked.

 

Two can play this game.