Tenacity

Catnip
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“How long do you think it’ll last? I give it a week.”

 

“Well, I wouldn’t be that sure, you know.”

 

She retorts softly, adjusting the stack of books scattered on the table, giving a quick glance to the girl next to her. With that being said, the girl is tall, so tall that she sometimes has to stretch her neck to even look at the girl. Nevertheless, she finds their height difference to be quite endearing, especially when the girl is so much younger than her. It’s ironic, really and a little bit hilarious.

 

The younger girl shakes her head furiously as she put down the book she has in her hand to cross her arms. Uh oh, Hanni thinks, baby chick is upset and they are about to have a discussion on this. Oh boy. Here we go.

 

“And why is that?”

 

The younger girl asks with a big frown. Hanni proceeds to move some of the arranged books to the shelves and takes a few moments to think. She does this more often than not with the younger girl, knowing that the said girl will simply not be satisfied with any direct answer.

 

As she begins to put the first book into the right spot, she notices the younger girl still waiting for her to speak. Though she is frowning, somehow Hanni finds her whole posture and facial expression to be quite humorous. Such persistence, she thinks, it is somehow quite lovable. And so she caves in.

 

“Well, you know how she is the persistent type like a certain someone I know and this is the first time something, sorry, I mean someone other than sports has captured her attention.”

 

Hanni reminds the younger girl with one of her eyebrows raised. Said girl shakes her head again, this time with a deeper frown. She even decides to stand closer to Hanni, towering over her, arms now resting on the sides of her body.

 

“President, you lack nothing. First of all, you are good at debate. You’ve led our club in competitions so many, many times and we’ve become known as the school to go to for aspiring debaters. On top of that, you sing so well too. I just don’t know how you feel so inferior when you’re quite literally the most capable person I know.”

 

The younger girl says all of this with bright sincere eyes, (though with a slight frown) her right hand now gently touching her the older girl’s shoulder. Hanni smiles in response and reaches out to pat the younger girl’s head softly.

 

“You don’t have to comfort me like this all the time, Hyein. It must be quite tiring to be my friend, yeah?”

 

“Well, who else is going to be here for you if not me?”

 

“Tsk tsk, for someone who has only lived for less than two decades, you sure have a lot of experience eh?”

 

Hanni says with a grin as she lets out a loud laugh. She proceeds to keep her hands busy, taking more of the arranged books to the shelves and encourages the younger girl to do the same. Hyein does as instructed, not before taking some of the books from her hands. Hanni looks up in curiosity but the younger girl merely looks away.

 

“I honestly think you forget somet

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter