Crossing The Road

Little Misfortune
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

NINGNING

 

Ningning ran full speed past her parent's bedroom and shared bathroom to the living room while sprinkling and leaving traces of glitter. "SHAAADAAAN! Happiness to EVERYTHING!" she kept shouting. In her eagerness to get the game started, she didn't notice a bulge on the carpet in their hallway and tripped, falling face first. The table with a vase and lone flower beside the cabinet of her mom's glasses started wobbling from the impact of her fall. "Oh, please don't fall. Don't fall," she said in a worried voice while getting up. Still, the vase dropped and shattered into multiple pieces. "Damn it. It's all broken now. Please don't tell on me," she cried.

 

That was a beautiful example of cause and effect. Don't worry, you can trust me.

 

"Oh, thank you," she breathed a sigh of relief. She stood there thinking about what to do with the mess. Ningning noticed that only a part of the upper half broke. "Maybe I could try to fix this," she thought. Ningning took the vase, propped it on the table, collected the broken pieces, and painstakingly put them together again. After multiple tries, she finally got it right. Ningning returned the flower and adjusted the vase so the side which broke earlier faced the wall. She hoped nobody would look close enough to notice. 

 

"I did it!" she exclaimed with pride on her face. "You know, I broke a couple of glasses before by running too fast," she said. "But I couldn't fix them like this vase. I had to hide it."

 

Did mommy find out?

 

"No, but I had a piece of glass stuck in my foot for five days," she explained. 

 

Ningning walked past their living room to the kitchen, immediately bee-lining for the fridge, hoping to get a snack to bring with her. She was disappointed that there were no snacks. Instead, she found dead rabbits in their fridge. "Dead rabbits, again?" she said in disgust. "When will daddy learn I like them alive?" Ningning sprinkled glitter on the rabbits before closing the fridge.

 

Ugh. It smells like cigarettes in here. 

 

"Yeah. That's my mommy. She also likes to drink juice a lot," she explained. "We had a lovely dinner last night," Ningning said while going through the empty bottles of beer and wine on their dinner table, still looking for snacks. "Mommy didn't drink juice that much, and my daddy said hi to me," she continued.

 

Well, are you ready to complete your first mission?

 

"Yes," she replied. "I am going to get that prize." She did a final inspection of their dinner table and kitchen but couldn't find snacks. There was only stale bread left from last night's dinner. Ningning walked to the door past her mommy cooking and drinking. She hadn't noticed Ningning enter the room at all. "I am going outside to play, Mommy!" She sprinkled glitters towards her mommy's direction before finally stepping outside.

 

The door led to their front yard where she often plays. Tools and tires can be seen scattered all over the yard, there's also a kiddie pool, and the tree stump she would use for tea parties. Just below her window were garbage bins and bags, mostly filled with empty bottles of wine. "There

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter