Fin.

say my name, and everything just stops
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Aeri knew what was coming before her. It had been very obvious since. The king had always turned a sour demur on her even during her youth with the princess. 

 

She does not take it in too deeply, however. Just as discussed, she spots him standing along the hall, arms veiled by his cloak. 

 

“Your Majesty,” Aeri informed.

 

He clears his throat, acknowledging her presence. “As you know, the heiress is on her path to the kingdom’s upholding. She has bloomed into full blossom; which is why she is vulnerable to pests that are eager to lead her astray.” 

 

The king then pauses, glaring menacingly at the retainer. It takes all of Aeri’s resolve not to snarl at this horrid man, that even if she badly so wishes that his neck be snapped and his eyes stabbed by arrows, she could only feign attentiveness. 

 

“I shall not complicate any further. I will have you casted out of the palace at dawn.” 

 

It’s as if the world crumbled beneath her feet. Even though Aeri had foreseen it, the tremor of such a case did not stop her from thinking of Minjeong. What for the two of them, then? 

 

“But, I will see to it that you are offered a grand stipend. Should be enough for you to live far away and seek no more of returning here, is it not?” 

 

She urges herself to remain as reserved as possible. “Yes, Your Majesty.”

 

“Very well. I will have the squires to assist you. Until then, you are free to go. Anywhere but near the princess’ quarters. Consider yourself fortunate that I wish for you not to be detained.” The king emphasizes his words, expecting to be heeded as he cranes his chin up with the satisfaction of cornering the retainer into risking her freedom of choice.  

 

And just as expected, as if conceding, Aeri offers her last bow. “I am grateful for your leniency, Your Majesty. For that, I shall abide.” She responded elegantly, without any trace of deviance on her tone. Unbeknownst to the king, her thoughts reside otherwise. 

 

As soon as he was out of sight, Aeri immediately finds her way back to the princess’ quarters, yet unfortunately, the hallway was hampered with royal guards.

 

Damn him.

 

It did not seem like these lackeys would retire from patrolling soon, either. With almost no more hope clinging onto her, Aeri had been deciding to withdraw if not for the presence of Jimin suddenly appearing from the door. The guards crossed her into place as they interrogated her thoroughly. 

 

From the corner of her eye, Jimin immediately catches sight of Aeri, and she knew what to do just then. 

 

“Oh please, dear guards, I’m sure you would never mind escorting a lovely dame back to her lodge?” Jimin urges beguilingly, moving her body with prudence. Aeri was trying so hard not to chuckle from her friend’s shenanigans. 

 

“You shall have Baek to come with, milady. You heard her.” The first guard nudges Baek, and he quickly objects.

 

“But—“

 

“Ah, but a lady like me would need two impeccable and courageous young men who would lead me along the dark and dreary halls! What would the king think if one of his important subjects fall into misery?” 

 

With that, neither of the two argued any further as they complied upon Jimin’s request. She shoots Aeri a quick glance, as if warning her that she has around five minutes to spare and that’s about it. They disappear in the corner and that was Aeri’s cue to quietly walk  in. 

 

The knob unlocks and there she was, the love of her life, easing elegantly as the back of her hand supported her bulging cheek. The sight lured Aeri’s hand to press on Minjeong’s face, and the princess nuzzled on her palm almost instantly. Aeri heaved a hearty sigh, momentarily losing track of what comes ahead of her at dawn. 

 

Suddenly, never in her life would she want to leave her like this. Aeri would come back kneeling in front of the king, desperately beseeching for her to stay. 

 

Yet she holds on to this lingering thought—that by chance, may the cosmos weave their fates as if it was meant to be aligned with the stars. 

 

She leans forward, rather gingerly, before planting a precious kiss on the side of the princess’ head, whispering a wistful “ I love you. May we meet on the outskirts once again, Minjeong. ”

 

Slowly, but surely, Aeri lets go, 

 

but certainly not of Minjeong. 

 

•━♛━•

 

If Jimin was right, there was enough time until the dawn rose. She hands Aeri a bowl of stew, proceeding to sit beside her on their wooden bench. 

 

“Reckon to me that I shall see you again.” Jimin earnestly whispers, hinting a sacred promise for Aeri to keep. 

 

Aeri chuckles. “I believe you will.” 

 

“What about the princess, then? She will not take this very lightly.”

 

And so did Aeri. She was sure that Minjeong would despise her for leaving without adhering her orders, yet complacent that the princess would understand (and better, if her mind wanders yet again to their arcane oaths.)

 

Aeri eyes Jimin sternly, placing her hand on her shoulder. “How does a heist sound to you?”

 

•━♛━•

 

It nearly kills Aeri, how Jimin hasn’t written back yet. 

 

Several thoughts leeched within her mind; Did she run out of quills? Or perhaps the mailboy was taking too long? What if Jimin had been caught? 

 

Will she ever see Minjeong again?

 

Aeri shakes her head, sighing to dismiss her pessimism. 

 

She had to fend for herself using the funds that the kingdom provided her—though it was unnecessary, Aeri thought they were foolish enough to do so since she has made herself a fair cothouse far away in this distant land which her mother owned. It seemed disbelieving, considering they were filthy poor, but sometimes, fate works wonders. 

 

And just as fate does so, there comes a subtle knock on the hut’s door. 

 

Could it be..?

 

Turning the knob with a trembling hand, Aeri swung slowly,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter