not tteokbokki tuesdays!

hey, soul sister
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The rest of Wendy's classes were cancelled. Why? Well, because everyone who participated in the 'Great Dino Nugget War'--as Yeri called it before getting dragged away by Irene--was slapped with detention, lasting until the end of the school day. The principal also made it a point to ban the selling of student-favourite items on the lunch menu. 

("NOT TTEOKBOKKI TUESDAYS!" Sooyoung had cried and even Joohyun managed a pout at the principal's announcement despite her anger towards her friends.)

The rest of the school was warded in the auditorium, phones taken at the door and told to each write an essay on the importance of nutrition for teenagers. She could count on one hand the number of students who weren't being punished right now. Surprisingly, Wendy's boyfriend was one of them. He'd been in the music rooms, too busy practising his vocals to hear any commotion in the cafeteria. 

"Hey babe, wanna get out of here?" Jaehyun sidled up to his girlfriend, a hand resting on the edge of the table in the east courtyard. Seungwan had been collecting her belongings, cleaning up the half-eaten lunch from earlier. Joohyun's things were still there so she suspected the student body president would be too busy sorting out the mess the others left. The Canadian barely spared him a glance, quite lost in her thoughts of guilt and let out a questioning grunt. "We have half the day off, don't we? Let's go on a date."

Seungwan sighed, slinging her backpack on one shoulder and regarded him with a tired expression. "Sorry Jae," she stepped around him to chuck the cold lunch in the bin. "I gotta sort things out with Joohyun unnie." He didn't say a word, watching as she grabbed Joohyun's bag and hugged it firmly to her chest. "We're fighting...I think. I messed up and she's upset."

Jaehyun shook his head and ruffled her hair. "You guys will be fine." He pinched her cheek and she scoffed, swatting his hand away with an indignant scowl. "Nobody can stay mad for long at my cute girlfriend, after all."

"You didn't see her!" Seungwan cried. "I really messed up, Jae and I need to fix it right away." Her grip around Joohyun's purple bag tightened as she yelled, "I'm sorry but my life doesn't revolve around you, I can't just drop everything and go on a stupid date just because classes are cancelled."

He blinked at her sudden outburst and took a seat at the table. However, seeing this action made Seungwan even more upset for some reason.

"Wendy..." He uttered a little speechless. All their time together, he'd never seen her so worked up. They'd never fought before. Was this going to be their first? Over...Joohyun of all people? He couldn't believe it.

Almost immediately, Seungwan's shoulders dropped and her gaze softened with guilt. "I'm-I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that. I didn't mean it."

"I know," Jaehyun said empathetically. His finger made patterns over the wood of the table as he calmly replied, "I'm sorry too. I didn't intend to make light of your fight with Joohyun."

Another heavy stone of guilt sunk deep inside her abdomen, collecting dust and weighing heavy. "You just wanted to cheer me up." Tentatively, Seungwan placed Joohyun's bag on the table and stood between his knees, tying her hands around his neck in an apologetic embrace. 

"You've been quite stressed lately, haven't you, baby?" Jaehyun asked in English. He settled his hands around Wendy's waist and squeezed, resting his cheek on her shoulder, nose in the crook of her neck. He heard a soft hum in agreement and continued, "Me too. Seeing you makes it better but we don't have any frees together, and we have lives outside of each other. These days, the only time we're together is in choir."

Wendy snorted quietly in his ear and joined him talking in English, "Alongside the terrible two."

Jaehyun chuckled and added, "The demon duo."

"Wicked witches," Seungwan shot back.

Jaehhyun leaned out of the hug slightly to tap a finger on Seungwan's nose as they shared a laugh. "Gastly girls."

"Petulant partners in preposterous plans," Seungwan said in a pompous-like tone.

"Ah," Jaehyun winced playfully and they returned to their native language when he replied, "You're too good. I see why Obama gave you an academic award now."

Seungwan raised a brow and feigned an offensive look. "Why are you only realising that now?"

They proceeded to engage in a mock argument, whining loudly in the quiet emptiness of the courtyard until someone cleared their throat. They turned, meeting the student body president's icy gaze--indifferent and expressionless. Seungwan didn't have to ask, she knew she was upset, and she knew seeing Seungwan laugh happily with her boyfriend wasn't winning her any favours. 

"Unnie--"

"I came for my bag," Joohyun said, extending her palm. 

Jaehyun cleared his throat awkwardly when he noticed Seungwan wasn't going to make a move to hand the girl her bag. He was a few inches from grabbing it when he felt Wendy's fingers intertwine with his and squeeze.

"Will you give us a moment, Jae?" Seungwan requested, staring at his hand as if it offended her somehow. He nodded quickly and Wendy stepped away to let him slide off the table to his feet. 

"I guess I'll..." He began, itching his neck a little awkwardly. The tension could be cut with a pair of blunt craft scissors--maybe even a sponge if he loitered around any longer. The air was beginning to get oppressive. "...see you later, babe?"

Wendy offered a noncommital hum and pressed a chaste kiss to hi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter