Chapter 5

Where Your Heart Meets Mine

The most awaited day in Taeyeon and Tiffany’s lives has finally arrived, February 14, 2024. 


 

Their wedding day. 



 

The façade of the cathedral is filled with vibrant red poinsettia flowers, complementing the soft white snow surrounding the area. Inside the cathedral, the pathway all the way to the altar is covered with an elegant and rich burgundy carpet, while the aisles are magnificently decorated with white delicate roses, and the altar is lit up with colorful illuminating lights. 

 

The members of the piano and orchestra are seated in the balcony of the cathedral, they are performing soft classic love songs. Everyone could feel the romantic emotions overflowing inside the cathedral. 

 

The entire place is beautifully accentuated with white and red colors, symbolizing the pure yet passionate and everlasting love shared by Taeyeon and Tiffany, the soon-to-be married couple. 



 

It is a magnificent day for two souls to be transformed into one. 





 

In the waiting room where the bride is staying, there is a knock heard from the other side of the door. “Come in.” The door opens and a person shows herself. 



 

“Wow... I’m lost for words, Taeng. You look wonderful.”


 

“Thank you, Amber. You’re not so bad yourself. Handsome as ever.” Amber brings out her cheeky smile.



 

Amber notices a loose strand of hair on Taeyeon’s face, “wait, let me fix this for you.” She carefully puts the hair back in its place, “...there, all done. My best friend looks so beautiful today.” 


 

“Are you ready?” Still with a smile on her face, Amber asks Taeyeon. 


 

“I am, Amber. I am ready.” Sensing the tone and outpouring of emotions from the bride’s answer, knowing that it also meant that she’s ready for the journey she and Tiffany are to embark upon together, the two best friends couldn’t help but tear up. 



 

“Yah! We can’t cry on your wedding day. Well I can… but you can’t! ‘Cause of the eye makeup and all.” Amber laughs as she tries to lighten up the mood. Taeyeon chuckles at her dorky best friend. 


 

“You can do this, fighting! If you need me or Yuri, we’re always just two steps behind you.”

 



 

“Thank you, Amber. It means a lot that you’re here,” Taeyeon responds softly. 


 

“But, I still remember what you did yesterday though. You’re not off the hook that easily,” Taeyeon jokingly glares at her. 




 

“Hehe, I know... What’s important is that I'm here today, plus I’m early and punctual! Some of the other guests aren’t even here yet.” Amber playfully rolls her eyes then grins widely at her best friend. 







 

AMBER’s POV

 

After I left Taeyeon’s waiting room, I roamed around the cathedral to look for Yuri. She told me she has something to say. 



 

I was about to exit the door on the right-wing of the cathedral, when I saw her. 



 

A young woman gracefully stepped out of the vehicle while her driver waited and held the door for her. 





 

I stopped in my tracks, physically unable to make another step.




 

I tried to move my feet, but I felt… stuck?



 

My eyes are glued to her every move. She looks breathtaking… 



 

So beautiful, she has this delicate grace radiating from her.






 

Many thoughts filled my head, ‘where are you going, miss? Are you going to attend this wedding, too? What’s your name?’ 






 

“…ouch. Hey! Watch where you’re goin… Yuri?” I sighed. “What is it this time?”

 

 

“You seemed like a statue standing over here. I kept calling your name, but you weren’t turning around, so I had to see what you were doing. So, what are we looking at?” 




 

“Hey, Yul. Do you, perhaps, know who that person is?” I pointed to the area where I last saw her before Yuri caught my attention. 




 

“Where?” Yuri scanned the area, “...there’s no one standing over there, Am.” 



 

“W-what? Oh great, now I lost her.” The beautiful young lady was nowhere to be seen. 




 

“Her? Who do you mean ‘her’? You met someone?” 


 

“Well, I was planning to. But for some reason, I couldn’t walk.” 



 

“Uh-hu... Is everything ok, Am?”

 

“Yeah, yeah. Never mind, come on. Let’s go, Yul.” 




 

‘Who are you? Will I see you again, miss?’




 

KRYSTAL’s POV

 

Ah, it’s a beautiful day today. The sun is out and the skies are clear, everything seems just right. 



 

“Ms. Jessica and Ms. Krystal, what time should I pick you up later?” Mr. Kang asked us politely through the rear mirror. 


 

I looked over to Jessica unnie and she answered for the both of us. “I’m not sure, Mr. Kang. The ceremony and reception may end later than anticipated, but we don’t want to inconvenience you by waiting.” Jessica unnie continued, “...if there are any changes, we’ll inform you immediately, Mr. Kang.”


 

“All right, Ms. Jessica. I understand,” Mr. Kang continued to focus on the road. 




 

Within 10 minutes, we arrived in the drop-off area of the cathedral. Mr. Kang gently opened the door for me as I stepped out of the vehicle. Jessica unnie followed, after that Mr. Kang finally closed the door for us. 



 

“Thank you, Mr. Kang.” We both bowed to him and thanked him for driving us safely. 




 

After climbing up the brick-lined stairway, we were surprised by the impressive decorations they attached to the exterior of the cathedral. Jessica unnie and I took a moment to admire the place. 


 

“The entire place looks marvelous. Taeyeon unnie and Tiffany unnie hired the perfect team for this.”

 

“You’re right, Soojung. They captured the artistic vision of Tiffany for the place.” 



 

*Ring ring* *Ring ring*

 

“Hi, Tiff? Yes, we’re here. Ok, I’ll be there in a few.” Jessica unnie received a call from Tiffany unnie. “Soojung, I have to go to Tiffany’s waiting room for some maid-of-honor duties. I will see you before the ceremony starts. Will you be ok by yourself?”



 

“Yes, unnie. I want to walk around the place, anyway.”

 

“Ok, then. I’ll let you know if something comes up. Soojung, be careful, ok?”   

 

“Yes, I will, unnie. You, too, take care.” After Jessica unnie left, I realized I did not know where to go first. Nice one, Soojung.






 

Instead of asking people around, I just let my feet wander wherever they wanted to go. Until it led me to a garden full of vibrant colorful flowers with a marble gazebo in the middle. Who would’ve thought there’d be a place like this in the heart of the city?





 

I walked through the garden filled with colorful flowers, all the kinds of flowers that will grow well during this season. As I was nearing the gazebo, I felt the cold gust of wind slowly engulfing me. It didn’t stop me, though. 


 

I set foot on the bottom part of the marbled stairway, and I started to make my way to the middle. After three steps, I was greeted by the intricate details sculptured in the pillars of the gazebo. 









 

I was so lost in my thoughts, silently admiring the place. 






 

“Careful. I wouldn't stay out here for long if I were you.” 


 

I didn’t realize someone was already in the gazebo with me. My head turned at the sound of the voice. “Oh, sorry. I didn’t mean to startle you.”



 

There he was, three meters away from me. He was standing on the bottom part of the marbled stairway where I stood earlier, much closer to the grassier area. Almost as if he’s standing at a safe distance. 



 

He smiled politely at me. “Aren’t you cold?” 

 

I stared at him. 


 

He was wearing a perfectly tailored navy blue three-piece suit and his hair was flawlessly combed. His eyes seemed gentle and dreamy but assertive, his nose looked adorable. His soft lips looked irresistibly good, and his sharp jawline could cut some glass. Oh, my God. His face resembled that of a llama. Llama, like the animal? Irresistibly good? Jung Soojung, are you hearing yourself? Did you just check that person out? 



 

“Miss, is there something wrong? Are you alright?” His voice brought me back to reality. 



 

“A-ah, sorry. I’m alright.” I answered. 



 

He then climbed one foot on the stairway and laid out his right hand in front of me. 



 

“Don’t you feel cold? It’s still winter, so I wouldn't recommend staying out here for long.” I looked at his hand right in front of me.





 

A cold gentle wind passed through between us. 


 

“Here, you can hold my hand. We can go to the cathedral, it’s much warmer there. You might get sick if you stay out here for too long.” 



 

Normally, I wouldn’t trust anyone, especially in this kind of situation. But this person seems… trustworthy? 


 

I just stared at his hand in front of me. He seemed to have noticed I was hesitating, so he slowly retracted his hand. “Oh, right...” 



 

Before he could start to pull his hand back, I grabbed the tip of his fingers and muttered, “I might need some assistance to climb down this stairs.” 


 

In my defense, it was slippery when I got here. Yeah, right, slippery. If you say so, Soojung. 


 

Then he made two small steps toward me so that he could assist me better. We started to go down the stairs, but he maintained his distance as he held my hand. 



 

After reaching the grassier area of the gazebo, he noticed I was still holding his fingers. I immediately let go. Shy and a bit embarrassed, I looked down to avoid his eyes. 





 

We began to walk in the direction of the cathedral, it was a short path but it felt like one. The trail we walked on was the same garden filled with vibrant flowers. 

 

No words were exchanged, we were just walking side by side in silence. That kind of silence that was comfortable and not awkward at all. 




 

When we reached the entrance door of the bricked-wall cathedral, he had to excuse himself because one of the guests informed him that somebody was looking for him. He bid his goodbye and ran in the opposite direction of the corridor. 







 

“Soojung! There you are, I’ve been looking for you. The ceremony is about to start.” My sister called my attention, I turned around and saw how worried she was. She hugged me. 

 

“Sorry, Jessica unnie. I was just talking to…” I slowly turned to the direction he ran to, but I realized I forgot to ask his name. 


 

“Who?” 

“I–I…forgot to ask the name of the person, unnie.” 

 

“Oh…” Jessica unnie stared blankly at me. 


 

Then she continued, “by the way, do you remember the program flow? The processional will be the first one. Let’s go, everyone’s lining up already.” 




 

Oh, right I almost forgot the processional! I wonder if the person I’m paired with arrived. She’d better be here, at least. 




 

Jessica unnie and her partner started walking down the aisle. I’m well-aware of the order because I was standing right behind them during the wedding rehearsal. 




 

I felt a tap on my shoulder, it was the wedding coordinator. I glanced at her, “did Ms. Liu come? Is she present?” I shook my head. I guess she's still a no-show after all. The wedding coordinator sighed.




 

“Come, stand here. You’re next.” The wedding coordinator ushered me to my position, “...in 13 seconds, you’re on.” 




 

I put my right foot forward ready to take another step when I heard a familiar voice, “...hey, sorry, I had to attend to something quick.” 


 

Wait a minute… I know that voice. 





 

“Sorry, who are you?” The wedding coordinator asked. 




 

“Liu. I’m Liu, one of the groomsmen. Taeyeon’s best friend.” I turned my head to the wedding coordinator and the person claiming to be the ‘Liu’ on the wedding processional list. 




 

Oh, my God... It’s him! 




 

“Uhm, with all due respect, the only ‘Liu’ on my list is a ‘Ms. Liu’.” The wedding coordinator stated in confusion. 



 

“Well, then, congratulations on having the correct list. Because I am that ‘Ms. Liu.’” He pointed to the list that the wedding coordinator was holding. 


 

The realization dawned upon the eyes of the wedding coordinator, and started bowing repeatedly, “I’m sorry, Ms. Liu. I didn’t mean to…” 


 

Liu. 

 

Liu…. 

 

Ms. Liu… 



 

Ms. Liu, He—I mean, she immediately signaled the wedding coordinator to stop bowing and to focus on the matter at hand instead. 



 

“It’s alright, I get that a lot. It’s just a human mistake, don’t worry. Are we on?” 


 

“Again, I’m sorry. Yes, yes. You two are on.” The wedding coordinator bowed once more and instructed us to start walking. 




 

We were now walking down the aisle, but my mind was still filled with questions. 


 

The person I was really annoyed with yesterday turned out to be the same person I checked out earlier inside the gazebo. 

 

W–what? 




 

I was so busy with my thoughts, I didn’t hear it when she first tried to call my attention. Then, she tried another one.


 

“We met again.” I almost snapped my head when I turned at the sound of her voice. She just flashed her smile at me. 




 

“....Amber. My name’s Amber. I hope you feel much warmer now.” 








 

Traditionally, at the end of the processional in front of the altar, the pairs go on separate ways to stand in their respective places. The bridesmaids will go to the bride’s side, the groomsmen will go directly to the groom’s side. 




 

Towards the end of our walk down the aisle, Amber didn’t let go of my right hand on her left arm immediately. 



 

We just stood there in front of the altar for about three seconds, then I heard her whisper “...be careful on the stairs.” 


 

She turned to me, we’re in front of the altar.

 

Then, she took a brief moment to look at me and smiled gently at me before she finally let go of my right hand. 





 

After I arrived at my position, the maid-of-honor, Jessica unnie, and the bride herself, Tiffany unnie, both glanced at me as if teasing me. I looked back at them questioningly.





 

Only then, I realized that everyone noticed what happened, every single guest in the wedding witnessed what we did—what Amber did. 



 

Oh, my God.







 

AMBER’s POV


 

I’m sitting at the grand long table in the wedding reception, just casually sipping my drink. When I recalled what just happened in the wedding ceremony a few hours ago. 



 

“It’s her, Yuri! It’s her!” I grabbed Yuri’s shoulders, rocked her back and forth, and frantically screamed at her. 

 

“Who?! Who’s ‘her’?” Yuri tried to swat my arms away, “stop it, Amber! You’re making me dizzy!”


 

We went to Taeyeon's waiting room right after the ceremony to basically prepare for the reception. It was the only opportunity available to finally tell Yuri that the person I saw in front of the cathedral, being assisted by her personal driver, was the same person I’m paired with in the processional. 


 

I intentionally left out the information that I saw the same beautiful girl in the gazebo moments before the ceremony. 

 

No way in hell should Yuri know about that, she’s going to tease me forever. 




 

“Yuri, I swear. I’ve never seen anyone like her before… I feel like I’m dreaming, am I dreaming?” I pinched Yuri. 

 

“Ow! Yah, Amber! If you want to know if you’re dreaming, just pinch yourself! Why pinch me!?” Yuri massaged her elbow, the area where I pinched her. 

 

“Eh. That’d be no fun.” 


 

“You dork!”  




 

“Uhm… Yuri, what do you think I should do? Should I ask her out?” 

 

“That depends. First and foremost, is she single? Because if not, then… all of this will be useless.”

 

“That…I don’t know.” Is she? I hope she is.


 

“Second, do you think you fit her type?”  

 

“For this one, I think, I already fit anyone’s type.” I smirked at Yuri’s question. It’s true though.

 

“What a show-off! Yah! I’m asking you valid questions for you to consider first.” 



 

“Third, and most importantly, do you think you have time to date? 

 

“...oh. Uhm.” Yuri’s third question silenced me. She has a point, a very valid one. 

 

“I’m only asking these because as one-third of your best friends, Taeyeon included, I’m looking out for you, Am. You always seem busy working lately.” 

 

“I guess you have a point there, Yul. As much as I’m attracted to her, I do have a lot on my plate.” 



 

“There goes your answer there, Am.” “I guess so, Yul.” 





 

“...although a part of me can’t believe you’re making this much sense, Yul. It’s always the other way around with us, you’re the lovesick pabo while I’m the wise and cool sensible one.”  

 

Yuri just smiled at me. Then she smacked my head, a little bit harder than a neurologist would allow. 




 

I looked at the people in the wedding reception having the time of their lives on the dance floor, the DJ in the music booth took command of the dance floor. He’s playing all the favorite dance pop songs of Taeyeon and Tiffany unnie, among all the things they share together, a great music taste is one of them. 

 

I twirled the glass in front of me and sighed... So this is how I’m going to spend the entire evening here, then? 




 

I caught sight of the person that has been preoccupying my mind since morning. She’s talking to Tiffany unnie along with a woman who looks like her, her relative or sister maybe? I admit she’s beautiful as well. 



 

But the woman I walked with… God, if Heaven is filled with angels who look like her, please save a spot for me. I’ll be good, I promise.



 

…hmm. Will it hurt to approach her and talk to her just to hear her voice, even just for tonight? 




 

KRYSTAL’s POV


 

I can feel her staring. I’d be lying if I told you I’m not affected by the way she looks at me. 

 

Which is why I’m thankful that Jessica unnie and Tiffany unnie are with me right now, at least, I’m being distracted from the effect of her subtle yet persistent gaze at me. And no, I’m not assuming, even Tiffany unnie and Jessica unnie could see how Amber consistently looks in our direction. 


 

“So… you’ve met Amber and Yuri, huh?” Tiffany unnie stated then she looked at me and Jessica unnie. 

 

“What do you think of them?” Tiffany unnie smiled. 


 

“I don’t know, Tiff. That Yuri person looks like a creep to me, she kept smiling for no apparent reason during the rehearsal and actual processional,” Jessica unnie spoke first, but Tiffany unnie laughed at her. 



 

“How about Amber, Krystal?” Tiffany unnie then asked me. 

 

“She’s… okay.” I replied to her question. I don’t know where to begin, unnie. She made me feel all sorts of emotions in just 2 days. Obviously, I can’t say that, can I? They’ll tease me at every chance they can get. 


 

“What do you mean ‘she’s okay’?” This time both Tiffany unnie and Jessica unnie stared at me almost teasingly. 

 

“I mean, she’s okay. She’s decent.” Suddenly, both English and Korean words aren’t making themselves useful for me at the moment. How am I supposed to describe my encounter with her?! I’m really attracted to her, but she turned out to be the person responsible for annoying the hell out of me yesterday. 


 

“Decent? Hmphf! HAHAHAHAHA come on, give us the deets.” Great, now they’re laughing at me. 


 

“Okay, fine!” I started enumerating all I could think of... 

 

“She’s nice. She’s quite the gentleman as well, not sure how that’s even possible, but she really is! And ugh, she smells so good…” this part was almost inaudible, but as soon as they caught it, Jessica unnie and Tiffany unnie’s eyes went as big as saucers when I slipped out.






 

“HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA DID YOU JUST SAY SHE SMELLS GOOD? AMBER SMELLS GOOD?” Tiffany unnie got carried away a little too hard with it, she shouted the words. 





 

Suddenly, the entire venue became silent, even the DJ playing some songs in the music booth stopped. 




 

The three of us caught everyone’s attention. Every single guest in the wedding, including Taeyeon unnie, Ms. Yuri Kwon, and Amber… 




 

Oh my, God, Amber! 



 

At that moment, I just wanted the floor to open up wide enough and to eat me alive because of the embarrassment I’m getting from these two. 


 

Jessica unnie couldn’t stop laughing and said, “now this is a wedding night to be remembered.” 

 

Tiffany unnie and Jessica unnie kept laughing and laughing, meanwhile my face turned bright red like that of a newly cooked lobster. 




 

As if on cue, Taeyeon unnie came toward us. As soon as she sat down in the chair beside Tiffany unnie, she called the attention of the two, Ms. Yuri Kwon and Amber. Uh-oh. 

 

In no time, they arrived, and all of them sat themselves in the available seats on our side of the table. 




 

Well, you see, it is customary that those guests with participation in the wedding are all seated at the grand long table. Our seating arrangement left to right is: me (bridesmaid), Jessica unnie (maid-of-honor), Tiffany unnie (bride), Taeyeon unnie (bride), Ms. Yuri Kwon (best man), and Amber (groomsman). 


 

Now, you could see what big of a relief I got when I discovered that Amber and I are seated on opposite ends of the table. 




 

“So, that’s some lovely laugh you got there, my beautiful wife.” We all grimaced at Taeyeon unnie for saying such cheesy lines, then we all laughed. 


 

“What are we laughing at?” Yuri unnie cheekily asked us before looking at her friend to her right, Amber. She smirked at her. “This one? This one smells good?” 


 

The rest of them laughed out loud, except Amber and I. 




 

Jessica unnie threw some woods at the fire and said, “oh… look at them, they’re mad blushing.” Then, they all laughed some more. 





 

To save any dignity I have left for me, I planned to kick Jessica unnie’s leg under the table to shush her, and when I recognized her foot, I locked my target and started kicking her. 





 

“Ow! My foot!” Amber winced in pain and reached for something under the table. Oh no...




 

“What happened, Amber?” Taeyeon unnie asked worryingly. They all looked at her.

 

“I don’t know, something sharp hit my foot, like a heel or something,” Amber answered, still wincing in pain. 



 

Jessica unnie turned to smirk at me, then she merong-ed at me. ‘Hah! Got you there, baby sis,’ as if she knew what I was planning and she successfully dodged it. 




 

“I’m sorry, Amber. It was my foot. I didn’t mean to.” I apologetically looked at her, hoping she’d understand. Way to go, Soojung! Kicking the person you’re attracted to on the first night you two met, well done.



 

Then, I glared at Jessica unnie and said almost inaudibly, “I was aiming for somebody else’s foot.” 



 

“It’s alright. For you, it’s alright.” Amber finally turned to me, stared at me for a while and then she smiled warmly at me. 




 

*Cough cough* 

“Ehem, Amber.” Taeyeon unnie tried to catch her attention, then asked “which part of you was hit? Was it your foot or… your heart?” 


 

“HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA” Yuri unnie started laughing hysterically. “Bro, you just got married and you quickly turned into a cheeseball. What the hell, Taeng.” 



 

This time, Tiffany unnie and Jessica unnie looked back and forth to Amber and I, they both found it amusing how we seem to react in a certain way. 


 

“Excuse me, I’ll just go to the powder room.” I quickly thought of a way to excuse myself from the teasing eyes and palpable tension. I could feel their stares at me while I was walking far away from our table. 






 

After reaching the powder room, I looked at myself in the mirror. ‘Soojung, you can still save this evening from total embarrassment. Just stay calm and try not to be too affected, ok? You’ve got this.’ 

 

I spent a good five minutes in the powder room before I stepped out, all of that just to mentally calm myself.






 

“Is everything alright?” Jeez! 


 

“Seriously, you’ve got to stop surprising me with your sudden presence.” I turned to her, knowing all too well whose voice was that. The voice I became too fond of…

 

“Sorry. I was worried since you’ve been in there for five minutes, I thought something already happened to you back there.” 



 

She was… worried? 


 

“Oh… I see. I just needed a break from the noise.” 

 

“Right. Me, too.” She continued, "Do you want to come with me?” 




 

Did I hear it right?  


 

“I think I know the perfect place for you.” She held out her hand to me, again. 




 

This time, I didn't know what kind of force pushed me. I took her hand confidently. No exchange of words was needed. 




 

We left the wedding reception area and we made our way back to the garden filled with colorful flowers. And there it was, the starry night sky served as a beautiful backdrop for the marbled gazebo. 





 

As we reached the center of the gazebo, she slowly removed her coat leaving her with only the vest on top of her white long sleeves polo. Amber carefully placed it on my shoulders and covered me with her navy blue coat. I smiled as I got a sniff of her scent laced in her coat. 



 

“There, so you won’t feel cold.” Amber said, then she patted my head afterwards.



 

We then walked towards the marbled bench of the gazebo, we sat and leaned back. 

 

We were just sitting in comfortable silence. 







 

“Krystal.” I shyly looked down, covering my face with her coat, feeling comforted by it.

 

“Huh?” 

 


 

“My name is Krystal, Krystal Jung Soojung. I realized I haven’t told you my name yet.” I looked up and saw how Amber smiled warmly at me.





 

She continued looking up to the sky, until… 

 

 

 



“I thought the day would end with me not knowing your name… Krystal.” Amber gazed deeply at my eyes as she said those words.

 

 


Haha, I had fun writing this one. Have fun reading! Let me know what you think. 

Stay safe and take care!