Miss Hesitant

My Boyfriend's Girlfriend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Breathe, Tiffany.

 

It took everything in me to calm my nerves as Jessica and Taeyeon sat parallel to my seat, only a few blocks away. Thinking about it, they weren’t supposed to be here. They were studying at another university, so why were they here?

 

Am I dreaming? I gave myself a slap to make sure I wasn’t, but to my misfortune, it stung my cheek. So what now? Did they switch universities just to get under my skin? If that was the case, then there should be no more doubts. These two are ing psychopaths.

 

“I know, right!” Sunny grumpily retorted, sneering at the sight of them in annoyance.

 

Wait, did she actually respond to my statement? As far as I was concerned, I was talking to myself inside my head. First, she was speaking an alienated language. Now, she was mind reading. Seriously, was this girl conniving with imaginary beings?

 

“Why are you staring at me like I just freaked you out or something?” She once again barged into my thoughts. Damn, could she just shut up for a while and let me think?

 

Is she perhaps still in love with me? No, she couldn’t be that desperate. But there can be a chance, right? Maybe she’s here to chase after me. Ah, that’s totally impossible. I mean, come on, she’s Jessica Jung. She will never run after anyone. And she hates you, Tiffany, so dream on.

 

My thumb flew to my mouth, and I unwarily started biting it as I deliberated. Just then, what Jessica told me the day we parted echoed inside my head.

 

“I will make you regret this, Tiffany. Remember that.”

 

My insides started to tremble as the idea that they enrolled here to make my life a living hell landed on top of my head. But what was there for her to do to make a successful vengeance towards me?

 

They were exes, right? Are they together again? Are they planning to make me jealous? Huh, that’s totally not going to happen. I will never be jealous, even if they make out in front of me. I don’t care at all. Wait, why is Taeyeon’s hand on Jessica’s lap anyway? What a ing ert, that dwarf. How dare she? Ugh, I’m so going to kill her. Don’t touch Jessica!

 

The professor started to ramble about something, but I couldn't focus on him. Sure, I was staring straight at his face, but not a single thought I had was related to the subject. The wheels of my mind began to churn their own evil schemes. If she was really here to punish me for what I had done, which was just a total misunderstanding, then I needed to prepare myself.

 

Time moved very slowly for me. I couldn’t help but steal glances at the girl I used to care about so much. Sadly, not even once did I catch her staring back at me. I bet that was how angry she was at me or how moved on she already was. What was left for me to do now was just to move on too and prepare for the forthcoming torture they were planning to inflict on me.

 

When the bell rang, everyone dashed out to meet their friends. I walked out of the room with Sunny beside me, and we headed to the locker area. “Mind keeping me company to the photocopy room? I need to make a copy of my registration form.” She pleaded with a smile as she waved the piece of paper in my face.

 

Leaning against my locker, I irritably groaned in distress. “You should have a copy of that by now. Why didn’t you do it this morning like everybody else? What a lazy .” I coldly retorted.

 

Her smile swiftly faded, and her eyebrows crumpled in return. “Why are you being such a grump? I know the whole Jessica thing is stressing you out, but you don’t need to lash it out on me.” The hand that was previously so excited to show me the piece of paper fell to her side.

 

I felt as if my heart was pinched a bit as I saw the disappointment on my best friend’s face. Guilt started to build inside me, realizing how right she was. I sighed in defeat and shot her an apologetic look. “I’m sorry. Maybe you’re right—I haven’t moved on yet. I still like her, and watching her hate me is too much for me to handle.”

 

She tapped my cheek comfortingly. “You’re beautiful and kind. Wait for her to realize what she’s missing. If you’re meant to be, you’ll be together again. If not, time will heal your broken heart. Many guys are waiting for you. Don’t stress over someone who can’t trust you. Cheer up.”

 

Her speech didn’t fail to bring a smile to my face. I even felt myself blush. “I don’t know what I’m going to do without you. Like, seriously.” I stood erect, not leaning against my locker anymore. “Now, shall we get that paper of yours photocopied?”

 

She laughed cutely and handed me the paper. “Actually, how about you do it yourself? I can see my boyfriend talking to a cute stranger over there.” She pointed at Sungmin using her lips and rolled her eyes. “That girl is going to be one dead meat if she makes one wrong move, you know?”

 

My right eye twitched a little in disbelief before I gave up. “Alright then, go get that boyfriend of yours before it’s too late.”

 

 

I walked to the photocopy room alone, with Sunny’s form in hand. It was only a few rooms away from my next class, so I wasn’t really sweating it. When I arrived, my eyes sparkled as if I saw a stray ten-thousand bill. There wasn’t anyone in the room, which means I wouldn’t need to fall in line. This morning, the line was long enough for me to think it was not a copier everyone was lining up for but a blockbuster movie.

 

I placed the paper in and waited for it to print a couple of copies. It was about to finish when I jumped in shock as I heard a familiar voice. “Hey, Tiffany. It’s been a while,” Nick greeted with an indiscernible expression plastered on his face.

 

“You scared the out of me,” I nonchalantly replied. “Yes, it’s been a while, and I would like it better if it stays that way. To be very honest, you make me nauseous, and seeing you makes me feel bad about myself for having you as my boyfriend in the past.” I knew it was totally harsh of me to say those words. But I also knew he deserved them. Letting those words come out of my mouth felt so good. It felt surreal, like there was a heavy boulder removed from my chest.

 

He didn’t react violently. He didn’t even show his signature devious smirk. Instead, his eyes emitted all types of regret. “I know what I did months ago was sick as hell. That girl, Jessica, I wanted her bad. I thought making her jealous once she saw us dining together would lead her to come back to me. Now I understand how stupid that was. It was immature and selfish. I’m really sorry that I hurt you and ruined the friendship you had with her.”

 

I could hear sincerity in his tone, but I didn’t want to be the forgiving girl I was before. Forgiving him would only mean giving him another chance to screw up.

 

“I don’t want to hear your voice again, Nick. You can’t undo what you’ve done. No matter how many times you apologize, you will never be able to mend what Jessica and I had. You have no idea how close we were, and at some point in my life, I thought she was the best thing that ever happened to me. But being the stupid you are, you ruined that. Jessica and I’s friendship, I mean.”

 

I loved hearing those words from my mouth. It was overwhelming and soothing to my ears. It seemed like I was regaining all the pride I had swallowed for them. Thankfully, the Xerox machine’s beep buzzed, indicating the copies were already made. I turned my back and grabbed the papers, planning to leave.

 

However, before I could do so, he started to talk again. “I feel bad, Tiffany, and I want to get this burden off my chest. I understand if you’re not ready to forgive me, but I still want to do my part by apologizing. Despise me for setting you up in that restaurant, but I hope someday you’ll be ready to forgive me.” For the umpteenth time, he let out an apologetic look. “Take care,” he added before turning his back.

 

The moment he took his first step, we heard Taeyeon’s voice echo from the other side of the door. “Setting her up?”

 

It wasn’t a second more when the door flung open, and standing there were Taeyeon and Jessica. Nick and I were left open-mouthed in shock that the person we both used to adore was eavesdropping on our conversation.

 

“You set her up?” Taeyeon repeated her question while Jessica stood still, surprised to her very being. She was obviously waiting for Nick’s answer, but her eyes darted straight at me.

 

I was looking back at her, trying to figure out the emotion she was drowning in, bu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter