Chapter 10

Twice in a Blue Moon

Jaejoong felt strange, looking at the lanky boy in front of him. When Yunho had first let him see Chanyeol, the shorter wolf expected to be surprised; and he was not disappointed. However, it was beginning to become uncomfortable, the feeling of weariness that he continuously felt in the presence of Boa’s younger brother.

Chanyeol mostly just stared into space, briefly acknowledging the newcomers. It’d been 3 weeks since he was found, and Yunho, albeit reluctantly, allowed the rest of the pack access to their guest. It wasn’t good to be isolating him, Junsu reasoned. They might worry and blow this out of proportion.

Yunho knew this, but it didn’t make it any easier. Curious visitors were flocking to injured, and the Alpha couldn’t help but imagine the most horrible scenarios. Especially with some of the younger omegas that immediately recognised Chanyeol’s alpha potential and looked at him like he was the eighth world wonder. Yunho couldn’t blame them – after all, they knew nothing more than that Chanyeol had been found near their village and they probably expected him to join their pack soon – but he kept his eyes open wide.

Chanyeol, however, made no move beyond acknowledging with a brief look whomever entered at the given moment.

Jaejoong didn’t know what to make out of the individual in front of him, but he found himself coming back to Joohyun’s hut. He sensed that Yunho needed him. Even now, the three of them sat in silence, each one lost in their own thoughts.

‘You know me, Alpha,’ Chanyeol’s voice was barely louder than a whisper ‘you know that I’m many things, but never a liar.’

Yunho raised his head, looking at the younger with a barely concealed surprised. It’s been some days since Chanyeol addressed him directly.

‘You don’t have to hide your disapproval, I can sense it in my every bone. I know that you don’t keep guard outside of the door for my protection. It’s for their protection.’ He tilts his head in the direction of Joohyun and Yoona’s rooms. ‘I have no intention of harming the healer, or anyone else for that matter. You have my words, however much it’s worth.’

Jaejoong didn’t need to look at his mate to know that the vain at his neck is pulsing dangerously fast. Yunho was conflicted.

‘I don’t know you very well, pup. It’s been years since I last saw as much as a glimpse of you. So don’t tell me what I do and do not know, because you can’t even begin to imagine what is going through my head right now. Only when you find yourself with a pack of your own will you start realising what a headache you have been giving me these past few weeks.’

‘I’m asking you for help, to keep me from… from her.’ He visibly flinched at the sole thought of his sister. ‘I’ve told you everything that I know. Ask me what you want – maybe there is something more that I can remember.’

‘Even if there were more, I don’t think I can take it right now.’ Yunho cut him off brusquely. Jaejoong frowned at his mate’s behaviour – he’d never known Yunho to be so unkind towards anyone.

‘Alpha.’ Jaejoong whispered and Yunho looked to him, eyes widening. It was as if he had forgotten that the other was in the room at all. ‘Alpha, give the boy a chance. I beg of you. I can sense that he’s scared.’

Yunho sighed. In those past few weeks, Junsu managed to turn everyone that knew their real predicament against him. Yunho was the only distrustful one.

‘We find him at the edge of our territory, barely breathing. He then tells me that Boa is alive, took over her pack and is out to get me.’

‘That’s not what I said!’ Chanyeol turned to him at the careless words, anger and frustration clear on his face. ‘Two years after she broke off your mating agreement, my father left for the woods and never returned. He had been pressing her to either go back and ask for your forgiveness, or find some other strong alpha to mate with. She did nothing of that sort, and suddenly – my father disappears. The next thing I know, my sister has exiled half of my pack and the rest doesn’t dare as much as look at her.’

Chanyeol began trembling in anger, both at the past and at the fact that Yunho made him recall the same story again.

‘It’s been five years, Alpha. Do you have any idea how I lived during the last three? She’s made rouges out of us. Our pack was never the most affectionate one, but we were tight. Now we are just rats, no trust, nothing. She’s been raiding all those villages for the past few months, there is no way you couldn’t have heard. We were moving from land to land, like mad people. Like she’d been searching for something but couldn’t find it anywhere.’ Chanyeol shook his head, trying to fend away the dark visions.

Jaejoong paled at the last words. He looked at Yunho.

‘Alpha, do you-‘ Yunho shook his head, stopping him before he could utter anything unnecessary. Jaejoong swallowed, but obliged. The fact that Yunho didn’t want to talk about it in front of Chanyeol was already answer enough.

‘So you attempted to escape and she caught you.’ It wasn’t even a question at this point.

‘When I was still a pup, they would usually spare me. When I turned eighteen, I knew that it was either escape or death. I knew I would never be able to help them kill others. That could only mean that in due time, they would kill me.’

‘I’ll let you stay, but I’ll be watching you for now. In the meantime, try to remember anything about the lands that you’ve crossed with your pack. Anything. People you’ve met, landscape you’ve seen. I need more than what you’re telling me.’

Yunho stood up, ready to leave. He was exhausted by the conversation.

‘Don’t you want to know about Kangta? He’s the only one you haven’t asked about.’ Chanyeol looks at him dubiously.

‘He’s not important right now.’ Yunho dismisses.’

‘But he is. He’s the brain behind all his barbarity. He’s-‘

‘Later, pup. Take some rest now.’ He turned to his mate, extending his hand. ‘Jaejoong, let’s go. We have things to do.’

 

 

 

 

 

 

‘I know what you’re thinking. Don’t.’ Yunho looked at his mate as soon as they left, making sure that Minho was on his watch post. ‘There is no use worrying about it now.’

‘I never said anything.’ Jaejoong reasoned, but Yunho was right – his mind was anywhere the state of tranquillity that he felt in the morning.

‘I can feel you, Jaejoong. I can sense that you’ve already connected all the dots, but let me tell you: we don’t know if any of this is true. And even if it is, it might not have been them. Greed spreads easily; if one pack wants something, soon others will want it as well.’

‘Who is Kangta?’ Jaejoong asked instead. Yunho pursed his lips. That was the only topic that he currently wanted to pursue even less.

‘He’s Boa’s right hand man. Chanyeol says that he’s always wanted to mate with her but she never give in to him. Don’t concern yourself with it – we need to concentrate on you now.’

They finally reached the edge of the forest, when Jaejoong’s patience wore thin. He pried his wrist out of Yunho’s grip.

‘Give me some credit, Yunho. I’m not stupid.’ Jaejoong rarely used Yunho’s name; the fact that he did meant that he was getting impatient.

‘I know you’re not.’

‘Do you? Because the way you’re trying to hide things from me make it even more obvious. Boa attacked me village, didn’t she? And now I’m beginning to suspect that this Kangta played a prominent role in my family’s murder.’

Yunho looked at his mate for a moment, before his shoulder sagged.

‘Is that what you think?’ Jaejoong asked impatiently.

‘Yes, that’s what I think, although I have no proof.’ Yunho whispered in defeat. After a moment of silence, he raised his head to look at the younger. ‘Are you all right?’

‘Then why didn’t you just tell me from the start? More than anything, Jaejoong was just curious. The Alpha sighed.

‘I didn’t want to upset you. My priority right now is your recovery. I want you to concentrate on that, not to add to your burden.’ He answered truthfully.

‘I’ve already told you once, and I’m not going to repeat myself any more. You burden me more by not telling me things. I’m already damaged, Alpha. Nothing you say can make it worse. I know that my family is dead, and I know that somebody is responsible for the act. I know that the same person is after me. I’m scared, of course, but I’m more scared for you. Especially now, that we’re connected, the worlds that you don’t say weight more than anything you could say. So please, don’t keep me in the dark anymore. Especially about the matters that concern me directly.’

‘Let’s go for now.’ Yunho finally replied, but Jaejoong didn’t move.

‘Do I have your word, Alpha?’ They regarded each other for a moment, before Yunho averted his gaze.

‘You have my word.’ He agreed reluctantly. Jaejoong wasn’t at all what they pegged him to be at first glance, Yunho thought to himself briefly when he noticed that Jaejoong finally started following him into the woods. He wasn’t like any other omegas that Yunho had met. None of them were this daring or stood their ground this firmly. Of course, part of his influence on Yunho came from the fact that they recently bonded. Nonetheless, omegas were usually more subdued and followed the word of their alphas.

Jaejoong was quiet, but only to an extent.

‘The healer said that we should try something else today.’ Yunho announced when they reached the valley. Jaejoong looked at him expectantly. ‘Have you practiced at all?’

‘A little, but… Sometimes I feel something moving inside me, and my bones start hurting. I’m about to change, then… nothing. I’m exhausted, I can’t move. You’ve seen me.’ Jaejoong admitted in shame.

‘In those past weeks she wanted you to focus on something positive, but none of that really triggered your change into your wolf form. In fact, the closest you’ve been to your wolf lately was only during our mating.’ Yunho let that sink in.

‘Does she want us to bond again? Don’t ask that of me. I cannot… yet. I just cannot.’ Jaejoong turned around, his palms at his sides. He was visibly trembling at the memory.

‘Not go all the way, no. Just be more intimate. I have no idea if that can help, it’s just a wild guess. But you went in heat after we… bonded.’ Yunho finished in a small voice, suddenly feeling embarrassed.

‘I’ve talked to Joohyun. It means that my wolf is still there somewhere, doesn’t it?’

‘If it didn’t, we wouldn’t be here trying in the first place.’ Yunho concurred. Jaejoong nodded, hesitantly. ‘I’m not telling you to roll on the grass with me here and now. I think we should still try to induce it as naturally as possible. But maybe tonight I could come and cuddle you to sleep. You could touch me more. Newly bonded mates tend to spend a lot of time in each other’s close proximity. With all the problems we’ve had with Chanyeol, and the preparations for the festival, it’s been hard for us. I don’t want you to be scared of me, Jaejoong.’

‘I’m not… not anymore. It’s just that last time, it really hurt beyond belief.’

‘Then maybe I can start by showing you that it doesn’t have to be this way.’

‘Maybe you can.’ Jaejoong agreed in a whisper. Yunho looked away,  clearing his throat.

‘But for now, let’s see how you’re doing on your own. I’ll be on the side when you need me.’

 

 

 

 

 

 

Changmin was on his way to the main square when he saw Joohyun and Leeteuk approaching it from the other side the new wolf in tow. It was too late to turn around, though. Changmin has been spotted. The three of them stopped by the crossroad to wait for him to catch up. Leeteuk smiled, while Joohyun only nodded tensely in his direction. The pup lowered his gaze in respect.

‘Are you headed to the square?’ Leeteuk let Chanyeol and Joohyun take the lead, but trailed right behind them, watchful.

‘Jinki told me that they needed help with setting up the tents. We’re expecting the first guests tomorrow afternoon.’

‘It’s really unfortunately that the organisation of the festival fell on our village this year. We have enough on our plate now.’ Leeteuk said dejectedly.

‘How is he?’ Changmin asked, picking up on the new topic. The two people in front of them widened the gap between two pairs considerably.

‘Harmless.’ Leeteuk shrugged. ‘Friendly for the most port. I don’t know. He’s not really doing anything. We are here only because Joohyun insists that some sun and fresh air would speed up his recovery.’

‘And Yoona?’

‘Yoona is with Kangjoon. They might be mating this season.’ This news was a first for Changmin. Yoona was a strong alpha female, but ever since their mother died, she lived with Joohyun and most of the villagers probably stopped expecting them to ever separate.

Changmin looked ahead to when he caught Joohyun helping the pup. He wondered just what would happened to her now. She surely didn’t need protection, having lived with her sister all her life, it would get lonely.

‘I didn’t know that.’

‘He asked last week and apparently, she wasn’t unwilling. He’s a beta, it will be much easier for them.’

Of course it will be. It’s not like they have Changmin’s problem, he thought grimly to himself.

The moment they reached their destination, one of the little omegas grabbed Chanyeol’s hand and motioned for him to follow to where the rest of the teenagers stood. Leeteuk waved to Changmin, before heading off to where the two disappeared. His task was to watch Chanyeol’s every move.

Changmin and Joohyun were left alone, standing in awkward silence.

‘Do you want to talk about it?’ He offered after a while. There was no way that she couldn’t feel the tension between them. It’d been there for weeks.

‘No. You should stay away from me, Changmin.’ She refuted quickly, and left his side. Going to where, he had no idea.

Why couldn’t they just be like any other couple? But the balance of power was never something to be taken lightly. Changmin was as eager to take that step as he was apprehensive about the impact that it could have on the pack.

 

 

----

A/N: Excuse the random side pairings, I just took some names I knew... Anyway, this story is on its way to be finished. Finally.