First

We Are Neighbours

A smile made its way to Namjoon’s face as he looked at his nephew laughing his heart out at something funny on the TV. Remembering the promise he had made, another longing smile makes its way onto his face. ‘Treat him like how you treat me hyung,’ the words rang through his mind. Kim Namhyun, his baby brother, which he loved dearly did not make it after his accident. Leaving behind his own son who was around six months old the time to meet his wife on the other side. Everything about the infant boy reminded him of his own deceased brother and he could not help when a single tear escaped his eye before he moved to the kitchen to prepare dinner.

“Daddy, why are you looking at me like that? Did I do something wrong? Again?” Namjoon laughed; so like his brother. Saying a prayer, he thanked his brother up there for leaving Taehyung under his care.

“Nothing, I just, love you so much TaeTae” he beamed, the little boy nodded his head happily before slowly digging in his food.


It was 15 minutes after 5 in the evening when Namjoon agreed to bring the bouncy Taehyung to the park near their house. The boy kept on urging him to put his shoes on as fast as possible because Cookie would be there already. ‘Is someone giving out a free batch of cookies today? Weird, didn’t heard it before,’ he thought before scooping Taehyung in his arms and locking the door.

“See, told ya he would be here!!!” A frown made its way onto his face when the boy pointed at another boy with big doe eyes and very dark hair that framed his cute face. The boy was holding the hand of one of his colleague at work, Min Yoongi. ‘He got a son?!’ Namjoon thought as he let Taehyung drag him by the sleeve towards the pair.

“Oh! Hey Namjoon, hello there TaeTae,” Yoongi greeted, waving a little at the ball of energy beside Namjoon, “Jungkook this is uncle Joon say hi,” the small boy shyly smiled and bowed his greeting. 

“Hello uncle Yoongi, can I bring Kookie to play over there?” Taehyung asked pointing toward the direction of the seesaw. Nodding his head in approval, Yoongi let Taehyung drag the smiling boy towards the seesaw.

“You never said anything about having a son with your partner, Yoongi.”

“Never said because never have. Jungkook is my cousin’s son,” Yoongi shrugged as the adults moved closer to keep a better watch on the boys.

“He just moved here a few weeks ago. A few things happened back at his old place, so he decided to try living somewhere new. He still has a few things he needs to settle since he just moved, so I’m helping him take care of Kookie. That boy is an angel,” Yoongi’s usual poker face broke into a smile as he looked over at said boy, which was rare for Namjoon to see.

As the boys played, Namjoon decided to take a seat at one of the benches nearer to the boys. Yoongi had gone to get the boys some snacks as Namjoon had said that he didn’t mind watching both the boys. The boys had excited drank their juice along with eating their snack before heading off to play again thanking Yoongi. Yoongi and Namjoon sat in companionable silence as they both checked their email. Namjoon looked up when the felt a small hand tugging on his sleeve. He looked at the owner of the little fingers, Jungkook, the boy was smiling shyly at him.

“What is it Jungkook-ah?” a faint blush made its way to the boy’s face. Namjoon had the urge to pinch those chubby cheeks, which reminded him of a bunny.

“Uncle, can you bring us to the toilet? TaeTae said he needed to pee real bad and I need to wash my hands before appa comes to pick me up,” smiling, Namjoon nodded before taking the two boy’s hands and taking them to the nearest toilet.

“Bunny baby!” a soft honey like voice makes it way to Namjoon’s ears as the three of them made their way back to the bench where he had left Yoongi. The boy’s head raised up before a wide smile appeared on his little face. He let go of Namjoon’s hand to run towards the man and Yoongi who was standing collecting his things. Namjoon and Taehyung following as Namjoon chuckles seeing Jungkook wrap his arms around the man’s leg as he and Yoongi exchange their greetings. “Well I’m leaving have a good night. See you around Namjoon,” Yoongi waved as he turned to head out of the park.

“Pretty uncle!” Taehyung shouted before joining his friend in hugging the leg of said man. Namjoon shocked gasp seeing his boy shamelessly hugging the guy.

“You must be Taehyung’s father, right? I’m Seokjin, Jungkook’s father. I live next to your unit but this is the first time we’ve ever met,” Seokjin said holding out his hand for a handshake. Namjoon cleared his throat as shook the other man’s hand while nodding his head lightly.

“Kim Namjoon. Yes, this is the first time we’ve met each other. Didn’t know someone had moved in next to me actually, a hot someone to be exact,” he slapped his palm over his mouth when those words escaped his lips but upon seeing the hot guy blushing face, he smirked. ‘Blushing is their thing,’ he thought remembering how Jungkook would blush every time he and Taehyung would touch or smile at him.

“Err thanks I guess? I have to go, thanks for letting your son play with my Kookie,” Seokjin turned the red flush still evident on his face as he grabbed Jungkook’s hand, “Have a good night.”

“Wait. We are neighbors, would you like to walk home together?” Namjoon spoke smoothly as took Taehyung’s hand in his. 

“Oh! Yeah, I guess that’s fine. Makes sense since we’re headed in the same direction,” Seokjin agreed.

They start their walk both men quiet while Taehyung and Jungkook continued to talk and giggled between them.

“I guess, see you around?” Seokjin asked when they arrived at the edge of his property. Face a red from the cool breeze.

“Of course we will see each other often, we live next to each other, plus our boys are friends. Goodnight Seokjin,” Namjoon smiled fully showing his teeth and Seokjin made the mistake of looking at him that moment. ‘Oh my gosh! He has dimples!’ he squealed inside his head before picking up Jungkook, who had started to get whiney, and heading towards his front door, “Goodnight Namjoon and you too Taehyung.” He quickly made his way up the path and entering his home. After taking care that his son ate his dinner, gave him a bath and put him to bed he sat on his bed. His thoughts returned to Namjoon’s smiling face, “Aish! What is wrong with me!” he said to himself as he shook his head.