Chapter 2

Blood Bound
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 2

 

Jae's mouth hung wide open, Jihyo didn't think he even knew he was just staring at her. He didn't move. He barely breathed. Jihyo fidgeted under his gaze.

"Jae?" She whispered, trying to get back his attention.

Jae jumped at the sound of her voice his gaze coming back to rest on her face. He shook his head, apologizing for his momentary loss of words. Wrapping his hand around her elbow he guided Jihyo back into the house, they made their way to the kitchen where they ran into a fully clothed Sungjin--he must have gone in through the front entrance. At the sight of her round belly he stopped, eyes as wide as saucers, mouth agape. His expression not far from Jae's.

“She’s…"

“Pregnant, apparently,” Jae finished for him.

Jihyo frowned looking away from the two. She didn’t like being scrutinized, it made her uneasy like they would somehow see what she’d been up to the last eight years. She wanted to keep her life a secret from them. She knew that once they figured out an answer to the mess that had become her life, she would leave again anyway. It was selfish, she knew that too. But it was the least she could do, for herself... and for Brian.

Jae turned to her, “I’m going to go give Jeremy a call, Sungjin, a word,” Jae motioned for him to follow.

Sungjin didn’t move, body frozen, captivated by the sight of her like a man who had looked into Medusa's eyes. Jae calls to him again and when the younger man didn’t respond Jae hooked his arm and yanked him out of the kitchen. Sungjin struggled to keep up with Jae’s fast pace, it was obvious in the sound of his stumbling feet. They moved to the foot of the stairs and talked in hushed whispers. Jihyo wondered if they cared whether she listened in on their conversation or not, they had to know that even with this distance Jihyo could hear every word.

‘She’s pregnant! How the hell did that happen?’

‘Sungjin, you know where babies come from.’

‘No! That’s not what I meant.’

‘Listen to me, I’m going to give Jeremy a call, why don’t you get in touch with Mr. High and Mighty-’

‘Already did, he’s picking up the kids and is on his way.’

‘Ok… where’s Brian?’

‘Don’t worry about him, Do Woon is watching him and I told him we would lock him up in the barn for a month if he tried something.’

Jae sighs.

‘Things are gonna be bad for a while aren’t they?’ Sungjin asked.

‘No, at least I hope not. As soon as Jeremy gets here he’ll know what to do. In the meantime, I’m going to need your help keeping everyone in line, it shouldn’t be too much of a problem.’

‘Will do. What do you want me to do with Jihyo?’

‘She’s your sister… reconnect or- something, I’ll be down in a bit.’

When Sungjin returned to the kitchen Jihyo had already started the coffee machine up-- everything was still kept in the same place, of course, that probably had to do with the fact that Jeremy was a freak for consistency. Ever since she could remember the coffee supplies had been in the same cupboard, eight years without her wasn’t going to change that. The thick aroma spilling out of the coffee pot calmed a number of her worries, the scent alone healing all of her nausea.

“Hope you don’t mind,” She said, motioning towards the coffee pot.

A strained smile broke out over his face, “Of course not, this is still your home you know.”

It didn’t feel like it.

“Thanks, though I wouldn’t be surprised if you guys kicked me out, after… everything.”

Sungjin glanced down at his hands, frowning, “Jihyo we would never exile you, you’re the one that left,” He glanced up and met her eyes and the look of betrayal all but smacked her across the face.

She nodded, avoiding his gaze.

“Why did you leave? That parts never actually been cleared up around here. I mean we all know what you did but, the running away part’s always been a mystery.”

Jihyo looked at him and the hurt in his eyes made her hate herself even more. Along with Wonpil, Sungjin had grown up with her. They had been the three musketeers, untouchable, inseparable, even when Jae came along and Sungjin began following him around instead, he always had time for her.

“Is it really that hard to guess? I made a mistake. I didn’t know how to fix it, and I couldn’t face any of you.”

“You could have come to me, I would have helped you.”

Jihyo knew he was being honest, she knew that any of the guys would have done anything to help but admitting she’d done something unthinkable had been difficult for the girl that never admitted when she was wrong. Perhaps it had been her pride-- Jeremy had taught her how to be a decent human being and yet she messed that up. Perhaps she was just scared of the judgment. All she knew was that running away at the time proved to be her only safe haven.

As if sensing her thoughts Sungjin walked up to her and wrapped his arms around her. His hug was a bit too tight like he was holding on to her for the last time. Jihyo relaxed for the first time since arriving back to this place. Locked away in his warm embrace Jihyo allowed herself to admit she had missed this. Missed her big brother. Missed having someone look out for her.

For the first three years, she’d been on her own, alone and afraid. She’d done well for herself but a wolf wasn’t supposed to live without her pack. When she met Jaebum her worries disappeared. He had connected with her in a way no one ever had before, not even Brian. Despite the fact that he was human and had no clue of her races existence, he seemed to understand her on a deep level.

Whenever she needed to change and made up excuses for why she was out most of the night he didn’t question her. Whenever she’d overheard a conversation he’d been having through the phone and mentioned something about it he didn’t push her away or ask how she knew. He was always there for her. So when he was murdered and she was back to being alone that had been a blow she hadn't been expecting.

“That was real stupid of you, I’ve been worried all this time.”

Jihyo buried her face in his chest and inhaled deeply, taking in his scent, the sweet smell of vanilla pancakes and crisp fall leaves. Because of his closeness, the scent of him was overpowering, it attacked her guilt and managed to comfort her all at the same time. They stayed that way until the coffee machine chimed, Sungjin extracted himself and poured a cup for the both of them. They both took a swig without adding any cream or sugar. As they waited for Jae to return Sungjin let her in on what had happened since she left.

Apparently, the farm now operated as a type of orphanage where the Pack took in lone wolves and pups without a home. Sungjin explained that they had a member working for child services and that’s how they found out about most of the kids. Wonpil was barely ever around anymore, most of his time was spent in the nearest hospital where he was the chief surgeon; she hadn’t even known he was interested in medicine, the Wonpil she knew wasn’t interested in anything. Jae was the same, though Jeremy had finally made him his beta and Sungjin was the den mother, or so he complained. He spent most days running after the kids and taking care of the farm that he had no time for anything else.

Jihyo didn’t bother bringing up Brian.

Jihyo had betrayed him in the worst possible way. He’d loved her, trusted her, and she'd repaid him by turning him into a monster then leaving him with Jeremy. To say she’d reacted hastily was an understatement. She’d been stupid, childish hoping that if he were like her they could be together forever. But if it wasn’t obvious enough already Jihyo was made up of one bad decision after another. First, she bit the love of her life and then she got knocked up by another man. If Brian despised her she would understand. After all, she ruined his life.

Jae walked into the kitchen ten minutes later, fully dressed in a pair of dark jeans and a black hoodie. Round wire glasses sitting on the bridge of his nose. Jihyo looked at him expectantly.

“Jeremy’ll be here in a day or two. He has a few things to tie up but he’ll make sure he’s on the earliest flight.”

Jihyo took a deep breath, Ok, she thinks, you only have to hold on a bit longer.

“So, you want to tell us what’s wrong? What’s made you come back?”

Jihyo looked at the two of them biting her lip as she determined what she should say. She might as well start with an apology.

“I’m sorry, I know I have no right to come barging back in here and asking for the Packs help, but I don’t have any other options. Someone’s after me and I’m afraid I can’t hold them off any longer. What I don’t know is whether it’s me they want or… my baby.” As she said this she placed a gentle hand on her stomach, caressing the hard mound.

“Why do you think someones after you?”

“I don’t think someone’s after me, Jae, I know they are. These people knew how to find me, they know I’m a Were. At first, I was sure they wanted me alive but they killed… they killed someone very important to me, as a message, I think.”

“The father?” Sungjin asked softly.

“Yeah...” Jihyo bit the inside of her cheek, she didn’t want to talk about Jaebum right now. The memory of his mutilated body lying on the hospital cot was too much for her still.

“Who do you think it is? Another pack?” Jae asked, “Maybe some wolf found out there is a female after all and wants you to himself.”

“No,” Jihyo shook her head, “They’re not Were’s that much I’m sure of. The guys who came after me are human, they were using stun guns and tranquilizers.”

“Could still be another pack, We’ve been getting word of a Chinese pack who are promising to juice men up if they are willing to do some dirty work for them,” Sungjin added.

“We’ll look more into it.” Jae said and there was a look on his face that Jihyo knew all too well.

Jae wasn't a fighter. He preferred to fix things with words, preferred to analyze something from all angles before coming to conclusions. It's why Jeremy made him his Beta. He was smart and didn't let his wolf take over easily. But Jae hadn't always been this way. He'd been bitten in his preteens and if puberty wasn't enough to have him in complete rage all the time then memories of his family’s murder sure did. He'd been angry all the time. Arguing all the time. He had no way of controlling his bloodlust, not until Jeremy found him. Though he was a completely changed man every now and then there would be a glint in his eyes to remind people where he came from.

This look said he didn't like his family being threatened and Jihyo couldn’t help but be touched, even after all this time Jae wouldn't think twice about helping her because to him she was still family. She knew he was going to find out who was after her and when he did they were dead men.

Jihyo glanced away from him to her left, and she couldn’t help admiring the warm rays of sunlight streaming in through the open window. One thing was for sure, no other part of the world could beat the farms' aesthetics. The sky was a light shade of pink, painted in streaks of gold and purple hues. It couldn’t have been more than six o’clock but it was getting late quickly and Jihyo needed some rest.

“I should probably get going.” Jihyo murmured as she slipped on her jacket.

“You’re not going anywhere!” Both Jae and Sungjin barked at her in unison. Jihyo jumped, startled by their harsh tones.

“I’m staying at the hotel in town-”

“No! No, you’re absolutely not!” Sungjin argued, he placed his coffee mug on the counter and squared his shoulders as if he was ready to stop her from leaving with force. Jihyo’s eyebrow rose and she cocked her head to the side, Sungjin had never once intimidated her, why would he think it would start working now?

“Look Sungjin I promise I’m not going to disappear again, I’ll be back by the time Jeremy gets here.”

“Jihyo you’re not going anywhere. You’re staying right here where we can keep an eye on you and protect you.”

“Guys, I didn’t come here for protection, I can take care of myself.”

“Then why did you come back?” The voice startled her. It was soft, barely more than a whisper and as she turned to face it she realized she hadn't heard him come into the room.

Had it been any other person Jihyo would have wondered if all the time she'd spent living as a human had downplayed on her senses, but Kim Timoteo had always been able to sneak up on her. The older man stood in the threshold, leaning against the door frame, arms crossed, face blank of any emotions. Jihyo wondered how much of the conversation he'd heard.

“I don’t really know what I’m facing. I came here because I need Jeremy- not for protection but…” Jihyo avoided his gaze, choosing instead to direct her answer to the others in the room, “for backup”.

She and Timoteo had never been close. As a matter of fact, he wasn't close to anyone, besides Jeremy and Junhyuk. He wasn't a horrible person by any means, he just didn't know how to communicate with others. Jihyo didn't know much about his past but she knew that like Jae, Timoteo had been subject to terrible events leading up to his being bitten. However, unlike Jae, who at first couldn't control his anger, Timotheo controlled it too well, along with all of his other emotions.

Jihyo glanced at him and he nodded, it was the smallest of gestures, the slight tilt of his chin, barely visible, she almost missed it. But she knew what he meant, ‘welcome home’. Jihyo tilted her head in return surprised by this minuscule display of affection.

In that moment there was a commotion at the front of the house as the front doors burst open and a cacophony of shouts and laughter wove their way through the halls. Jihyo was the only one who jumped at the noise, the other three took a collective breath as if readying themselves for something big.

Sungjin stood up straighter from his recline on the counter, he met Jihyo’s gaze and shuddered, “Brace yourself.”

Jihyo frowned, wondering what he meant, as a set of five pairs of footsteps made their way towards the kitchen. Two of them running.

“Yah! Park Junhee don’t you dare steal my cookies again!” Two small boys raced into the kitchen, the older looking one grabbing onto the other's backpack to slow him down it seemed. The boys stopped when they spotted Jihyo.

“Who are you?” The older looking one asked. He was slender and tall for his age, which Jihyo automatically guessed was somewhere around six or seven years old.

Before anyone could answer, just outside the room a familiar voice barked, ‘Where is she?!” as a tall figure burst into the kitchen. When he caught sight of her he cleared the room in three strides.

The second he was by her side he wrapped an arm around her and kissed her. The kiss was deep and demanding, eight years of wondering where she’d been being taken out on her with a kiss. When they finally broke apart Jihyo was gasping for breath, her heartbeat drumming insistently in her ears. Had anyone else attempted this they would have landed themselves in the hospital but Paek Wonpil was her oldest and dearest friend and she’d left him behind without a word. His closeness tugged at Jihyo’s heart, if there was anyone she’d missed the most, besides Brian(though she wouldn’t admit it to herself), it was Wonpil.

Wonpil, who was her best friend, her right hand, her other half even.

"You ever heard of personal space?" Sungjin murmured.

Wonpil didn't seem to hear  him as he inspected her, still holding her captive in one arm.

Jihyo wriggled free from his grasp, "Can't you just hug like a normal person?"

Wonpil let his arms fall to his side. "I should beat you up is what I should do. Maybe that would teach you not to run away. , where the hell have you been?!” Wonpil asked, throwing a glare her way.

“Um… it’s nice to see you too.”

“You’re an ! How the hell could you leave and not say anything? To me?!” Wonpil began his rambling, Jihyo should have known this was coming.

She’d expected something else, expected him to be cold and distant but she should have known. This was Wonpil, the guy who’d been by her side since Jeremy found her at age five. The guy who had been content with the quiet life but still went out of his way to convince her father that she needed more freedom. This was Wonpil.

“Here I’ve been worrying all this time while you’ve been knocking yourself up and- whoa you really are pregnant!” He inspected her swollen abdomen and swallowed hard, taking a minute to compose himself. Finally, he glanced up at her and when their eyes met he wrapped her in a tight hug.

“Pirimiri has a girlfriend?” The youngest boy asked softly. He looked to be about four or five.

The two separated and Wonpil sized him up, “What’s it to you whether I do or not?”

“Ew you kissted her, now she’s gonna grow warts ‘cuz o’ you,” Wonpil jerked forward and the small boy flinched back, screaming enthusiastically as he ran away.

The other boy sighed as he shook his head and stared after the smaller boy. He looked almost like an embarrassed parent. He turned and walked towards the refrigerator which was opposite of Jihyo. He stopped beside the fridge and opened a bottom cabinet under the counter, stepped unto the second shelf and pulled himself up onto the counter, opening another cupboard and taking out a packet of iced oatmeal cookies. He dropped down unto the floor and turned to walk out of the room but stopped mid-stride.

Turning around slowly he gave Jihyo a once over and she could see in his eyes that he seemed to be contemplating something. He pursed his lips and stretched his hands offering her the open packet of cookies, “Would you like some Miss?”

Jihyo smiled, bending down so that they were eye to eye, she took a cookie from the pack, “Thank you, these are my favorites.”

That brought a smile to his face, “Me too.”

The boy turned around and raced out of the kitchen just as two more boys walked in, arguing about some kind of chore.

“I don’t care if you’re older than me- I’m not doing it, it’s your turn!” Shouted the smaller one.

These two seemed to be in their early teens. They stopped when they noticed the pregnant female in the room.

“Oh, holy crap! Which one of you did that?” The taller, older looking one aske

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter