Heat Waves

Dress You Up In My Love

Fabrics | Free Web Headers 

 

The expression "time flying by" took on its full meaning in the following weeks.

Yerin foolishly thought she would be able to enjoy her new life back in Korea, but she had to face the harsh reality: thanks to the boys' busy schedule, days were so full they passed in the blink of an eye.

She let herself get caught up in the whirlwind of her work, and much to her surprise, she managed to take her mark pretty easily, with her colleagues as well as with the band. She and the boys soon got back to their former dynamic—old habits die hard after all. The laughter and nice atmosphere made up for all the tension and pressure. Every day was different, that's one of the things she liked about this job: it stimulated her.

Yet a hint of nostalgia sometimes clouded her heart. Seeing her childhood friend every week without being able to hang out with him was deeply frustrating. So much for our reunion... But it would always pass eventually, and she would quickly go back to feeling immensely happy and proud.

After almost two months of intense promotion, BTS finally got a day off. Yerin knew they maybe wanted to do nothing special and just chill, but she still decided to invite them to her apartment to have that long overdue drink together. With anyone other than Yerin, this could have come across as inappropriate—a single woman living alone inviting seven men to her place—but in this case, the boys hadn't hesitated, and she couldn't be more thrilled. Opportunities to relax and enjoy a simple evening among friends had been rare lately.

Fortunately, Yerin miraculously managed to unpack her things and tidy up beforehand. She had put the final pieces of furniture and decoration the previous week, so it felt even more like home.

As they entered the living room, the boys all gasped and started screaming enthusiastically. Taken aback, Yerin jumped and turned to them with an amused smile.

"Wow, Yerin, it's..." Jin started while gazing at the high ceiling.

"My thought exactly," Taehyung continued, picking up every book inside her bookcase to look at their cover, "it's really..."

"Yeah, really..." Jimin nodded, his eyes glued to the painting hanging above her flat TV.

Yerin didn't expect so much reaction, and she was curious to hear their opinions. She raised an eyebrow and crossed her arms, silently pleading for one of them to finish his sentence.

"As their official interpreter," Namjoon eventually chimed in, "I think what they're trying to say is, it's very... you."

From the furniture to the various objects scattered on it, everything was bright and colorful. Multiple sketches and drawings covered the walls while a few subtle touches called her Spanish roots to mind.

"I love it, Noona!" Hoseok exclaimed with his usual big smile. "It's welcoming and cozy."

Reassured, Yerin grinned and thanked him.

"Well, make yourselves at home while I go get something to eat and drink. Mi casa es su casa."

The boys didn't even react, now absorbed in the beautiful view offered by the large windows and happily exchanging opinions. Yerin giggled before making her way to the open-plan kitchen.

"I'll come help you, Rin."

Yoongi quickly caught up to her and she patted his arm with a smile. She opened the fridge and started to take out several bottles and cans.

"I've been meaning to ask you," she said while closing the door, "how's your shoulder?"

"Good, thanks," he chuckled softly. "How's work?"

Although he had offered to help, Yoongi was perfectly aware he coudn't do much. But it was the perfect excuse to chat a little more with his friend, which he really hadn't had the time to do as much as he would have liked these past few weeks.

He slowly sat on one of the highchairs behind the counter and watched her bustle.

"You tell me," she laughed.

Yerin suddenly realized they had slipped back into their hometown accent, as would often happen when they talked together.

"Come on, you know you're doing a great job."

"It's hard not to," she snorted while taking glasses out of a cupboard, "you guys basically look good in everything. I'm not doing that much."

Yoongi shook his head in denial but couldn't conceal his proud smile. He was genuinely happy to have her back on their staff and to get to spend more time with her.

"In any case, we like working with you."

"Same here," she flashed him a quick smile as she grabbed a tray to place the different drinks and snacks on.

After a minute of silence, she glanced at Yoongi and noticed he was now carefully avoiding her eyes. Intrigued, she put down the bag of crackers she was holding and stared at him with a soft smile. Even after all those years, she could still read him like an open book.

"What is it?"

Yoongi eventually looked up at her with innocent eyes then shrugged.

"What?"

"You obviously have something you want to tell me, so spit it out."

He knew better than to waste time trying to argue with her. Resigned, he sighed and threw a quick look behind his shoulder to make sure they were away from prying ears. After noticing the others were sitting and laughing on the other side of the room without minding them, he turned his head and planted his dark eyes in hers.

"Why didn't you tell me you were leaving for London in the first place?"

Caught off guard, Yerin accidentally flinched and felt her heart sink in her chest. His question was more unsettling than she would have expected. She let out a nervous laugh and went back to filling up the bowl in front of her.

"What are you talking about? I did tell you."

"Yeah, only two weeks before. It was really sudden."

She frowned and bit her lip. His voice was still deep and calm, but she could tell he was truly upset.

She remembered how shocked and sad he had been upon hearing the news. She couldn't blame him: one if his best friends going to the other side of the planet for an indefinite period—and it's not like he could have got mad or made her change her mind.

"You never make rash decisions like this," he continued in the same hush tone.

Despite herself, Yerin clenched her teeth and sighed.

"Well, people change."

Yoongi frowned and moved back, surprised by her snapping at him. Yerin didn't know why she was suddenly getting defensive, but she instantly regretted her words. Before he could reply, she tried to explain herself.

"It wasn't rash, Yoongi. I thought about it for months before I made up my mind, I just didn't tell you. But you know what happened to me, so you understand my reasons and why I needed a change of scenery. I thought it would be good for me to learn and experience new things in an entirely new city, and it turns out I was right."

Unable to hold his intense gaze any longer, she looked down and continued to fill the tray. Keeping her hands busy was the only way to stay focused and calm her speeding heart.

"But why didn't you talk to me about it?"

Yerin felt her chest tighten and started to have difficulty breathing. It would sometimes happen whenever she talked or even thought about that period of her life. There was so much she wanted to say but couldn't. She hated lying to him, but she also knew the truth would do him no good. How was she supposed to tell him he was part of the reason she left?

I slipped back into my old habits. I was incredibly sad and hurt, so I leant on the only thing bringing me comfort: you. I confused loneliness with loveagainbut my feelings for you were dangerous and wrong. It was jeopardizing my job and our relationship, and I couldn't risk that. I needed to learn to be alone with myself again. Love myself first, just like you guys always say.

She gulped and inhaled deeply, forcing a grin on her lips before looking back at Yoongi.

"Well, you had a lot to deal with on your own, superstar."

Yerin knew how easier it was to think she was always the only one suffering, but her friend had his share of hard times and insecurities too, and the last thing she wanted was to burden him even more.

Yoongi opened his mouth to answer, but she was quicker.

"You know, sometimes people just need to get away for a while and deal with their stuff on their own. I needed to do this for myself. Maybe it was selfish, but it's the best decision I ever made."

He sighed and nodded with an understanding smile.

"But did you have to go that far?" he laughed, trying to soften the mood.

She let out a nervous giggle to hide her aching heart. I thought it was the only way. Out of sight, out of mind...

"I'm sorry," he went on. "I'm stupidly thinking that if I had known, I could have done more for you. I'm sad you couldn't find what you were looking for right here, with your family and friends, but I get it. I just wish I'd had more time to get used to the idea of not having you around anymore."

He looked away for a few seconds, as if embarrassed by what he had just said.

Yoongi was rarely this straightforward about his feelings, and Yerin realized it must have really weighed on his conscience. She was glad he had taken this opportunity to smooth things over.

"I know, and I'm sorry too," she gave him a warm smile. "There are some things I still can't talk to you about, but maybe one day I will, when I'm ready."

As Yerin stared at him, she felt a wave of comfort wrapping her heart, making all her anguish slowly disappear. He had always had that effect on her, ever since they were kids. Growing up in Daegu as a half-Korean girl hadn't been easy, but he had never failed to support her. Behind his usual poker face, he was the most caring person she knew—he just had his own way of showing it. It didn't matter how far apart they were, or how long they didn't see each other, they would always have each other's back.

She held out her hand across the kitchen counter to squeeze his arm, her heart bursting with affection and gratitude.

"And don't think for a minute that it was easy for me, I hated to leave you. I really, really missed you."

The last thing she wanted was for him to think he was at fault or to feel guilty about anything. It was quite the opposite: when he was at her side, she almost felt invincible.

"I love you, Min Yoongi, don't you ever forget that," she grinned and finished arranging everything on the tray.

Yoongi scoffed in feigned irritation, but Yerin could have sworn she had seen him blush.

Ever since he had met her, Yoongi admired how she would always speak her mind fearlessly and without shame. He envied how easy and spontaneous it was to her. Her bluntness could certainly be unsettling, but at least he always knew where to stand with her. He had always love that refreshing Western side of hers. It was far from his personality, to be sure, and he would sometimes think it was a miracle two people so different had managed to become friends. But he had to admit, they complemented each other pretty well.

It suddenly hit him how much he had missed hanging out with her. It was the first time since they were kids that they had been apart for so long.

"So you don't regret coming back?" he played with an empty bag of chips in front of him.

Yerin shook her head with a soft smile. My old demons may decide to pay me a visit, but I think I'm prepared to face them.

"Not at all. I mean, I can't run away forever. And I can't really explain it, but I felt like it was time. I would even have come back earlier if it wasn't for that freaking virus..."

Yoongi groaned and rolled his eyes in annoyance, which made her chuckle.

"Noona, save me!" a giggly voice suddenly called from the living room. "Jin hyung said he's going to slap me if you don't feed him soon!

Yerin laughed at Jimin's cute whining and signaled to him she was coming to his rescue.

"I guess that's our cue."

Yoongi nodded with a smirk and got up, picking up a few bottles in his arms while she grabbed the tray and they both joined the rest of the troops.

 


 

Sometimes, all I think about is you
Late nights in the middle of June
Heat waves been faking me out
Can't make you happier now

Glass Animals, "Heat Waves"