Chapter 5

The Blue Devil
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I swear I didn't mean it! I'm sorry!" A tiny screeching voice echoed inside the top floor of one of the abandon buildings around the vicinity of Karina's house. The devil was quick to get the attention of the imp that she ordered to look out for her home with a snap of her fingers after finding Minjeong the next morning with multiple scratches on her legs.

 

"I really did what I was told!" Merwin on his knees, pleaded for his life. "Boban told me to watch out for your house last night and I did! He told me that you were resting in the forest so I stood guard outside of your gates. Then the lights inside suddenly so I quickly run near the windows to take a peek of the intruder. I wasn't aware that she was your guest. Boban never informed me about it so I sneaked inside in attempt to scare her away." He continued his lengthy explanation, occasionally pointing at the giant standing idly behind Karina.

 

"I didn't reveal myself when I started scratching her then she went straight to your room and started knocking screaming for help." A very animated Merwin quips up.

 

"I'm actually impressed that she didn't lose a limb in the encounter." Karina muses, immediate pictures of Minjeong being disabled flashes in her mind.

 

"I did intend to decapitate her at the very least but then I caught a whiff of your scent." His voice rising towards the end of his sentence somehow confident that the devil would overlook his mistake the previous night. Luckily for him Karina took the bait. With one brow shooting upwards, she asked,

"My scent?"

 

"Yes!" Merwin answered too enthusiastically. "A bit musky with a mix of sandal wood and the scent of fresh earth with something cool like the breeze."

 

"And what about it?"

 

"Oh yes! She was wearing pieces of clothes from your wardrobe and that's when it hit me! That maybe she's an ally but for safety purposes I remained hidden as I exit the house and held my post outside for the remainder of the night." With one swift move, Merwin was once again on his knees pleading for forgiveness. "I really didn't know, Karina! I'm so sorry!" He wails out repeatedly, hands clasped together in front of him.

 

Contrary to popular belief, the devil wasn't as ruthless as the other creatures perceived her to be. In fact one could argue that deep inside her hollow chest Karina has a sore spot for those who she deems close to her. 

 

"Be sharper next time." With a sigh, she turns her back around the imp before heading for the door.

 

"Yes, of course!" With a smile so wide splitting his tiny face, Merwin was quick to get back on his feet ready to follow Karina once more. But as usual, his tongue slips once more. "But does she know?

 

"Of what?"

 

"You. You're true identity." Karina halts once more to face Merwin. She slowly got down on her right knee meeting him eye to eye. Her dark eyes boring against his as if daring him to continue. The imp had to gulp a couple of times to find his voice but it came out shaky nonetheless. "She was calling for a different name last night. Jimin, she said repeatedly."

 

A rather disturbing smile snakes its way across Karina's face. Merwin have seen that smile countless of times. The smile that the devil frames every time she was about to take a life. Having this knowledge only made the imp's knees shake despite of trying his best to contain it.

 

"Do you think I would make that mistake?" Karina inquired, blue flames begins to ignite in her eyes. "Boban," She calls out to the giant standing behind her, eyes still glued to the imp. "...give Merwin some food and let him rest. The lack of sleep seems to be catching up to him."

 

 

 

 

With just one look around the house, Karina could tell that Minjeong put up a tough fight with Merwin last night. The furnitures were quite in a disaray and Minjeong has her eyes trained on treating her wounds from last night that she didn't seem to notice her arrival.

 

"You seem quite busy." Jimin started after hanging her coat on the rack by the door. With a slow steps, she made her way towards the couch so she could get a clearer view of the scratches that Minjeong got from the imp. 

 

"Yeah. I didn't know that you own a cat." Minjeong absentmindedly answers before dabbing yet another cotton ball on one of her wounds.

 

The devil couldn't help but snort at what she just heard come out of the mortal's mouth. "I don't have such an animal, Minjeong." She hissed like mentioning the mere word would burn her tongue.

 

Minjeong took note of the tone but was too occupied to even tease Jimin about it. "Maybe it was a stray." She answered instead. "I think I scared it off last night." Her voice sounding a bit proud despite of the end result.

 

"Well yeah it looks like you terrified it based on the mark on your legs. Great job." Jimin murmured sarcastically as she threads her way towards the refrigerator to get herself a glass of water.

 

It took a great deal of patience on Minjeong's part to not snap back at her at the moment. Repeatedly she counted one to ten in her head to calm herself down. "I tried to find it after but to no avail." She answers normally. Her eyes searches for Jimin on the room before mustering her puppy eyes and in the softest voice possible she asked, "Can you help me apply this ointment at the back of my leg?"

 

Without even hesitating Jimin answered, "I believe I got better things to do Minjeong." before turning her back at her and putting her used glass on the sink.

 

In her mind, Minjeong was already cursing her out in multiple ways simultaneously with all the words available in her vocabulary. She knew that it would be fruitless to try and ask for such help from Jimin but no, that little voice in her head had been so persistent and look where that got her.

 

"Well there's no better time than the present right? All hail the mighty Jimin." Minjeong answered as kindly as humanly possible in an attempt to not feed Jimin's ego even more. But it seemed like the devil wasn't done with her. Sensing that she has the upper hand, Jimin just couldn't help herself but to add yet another insult to the wound.

 

"Hey, apply that cream properly will you? If I hear you purr or meow later or tomorrow just know that I'm taking you to the city pound as soon as possible."

 

Just as she was about to open the door to her room, Minjeong suddenly talks back.

 

"Very funny." The tiny figure on the couch dead panned. "Did you also happen to grab a pack of sense of humor on your way home? Maybe you should have bought more to suffice for your dry jokes." Minjeong retaliated having more than enough of Jimin's antics leaving the latter dumbfounded for a second.

 

The devil forced her brain to think fast for a rebuttal but nothing came. In a feeble way to keep her composure, she fake coughs for a few seconds before steering away the conversation into a new topic.

 

"The rag. It's your doing right?"

 

"No." Minjeong shook her head and continued to answer with a poker face, "...actually the cat brought it earlier for a peace offering for what happened last night. We called for a truce for the time being."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter