9: The Upcoming Test

By Your Side: Adventures in I-LAND
Please log in to read the full chapter

I notice Jay storming away. I did feel bad for him. I was also upset with his trainee mates for making fun of him, too, since he was the only one without a part.

I entered inside with crossed arms.

“You know, you really could have given the guy a part. He seems pretty ticked off right now and is ready to hit the bricks!”

“‘Hit the bricks’?” asked Jake.

“You know…take on revenge.”

“What did we do to him?” Heeseung asked.

“You literally humiliated him and gave him no part! It seems as if he was dumb or something that shouldn’t matter only to you! You think that not giving him a part will help you win this thing. Well, newsflash: that is the world’s stupidest thing that ever happened!”

I stormed away with anguish. I had never yelled at guys close to my age. But it didn’t matter now. I was only upset because of Jay.

I was in the living room, where the huge couch was. And then my phone rang.

“Hello?”

“Y/N!” said a familiar voice.

I knew that my mummy would give me a phone call one of these days.

“How are you? I’ve seen the recent episode. Poor Jay!”

“I know,” I said, “But he’ll work something out with the teammates. I am just preparing for the upcoming test. It’s going to be the theme song and such.”

“I can’t wait to watch! I have to go. I’ll call you back very soon!”

“Yes, Mummy. Goodbye.”

After hanging up, I went back to work on training for the upcoming test. Whilst everyone went to dinner, I snuck to the practice room, where the documents of the chosen parts of the song were. I looked all over the paper. But I received no part. I tilted my head. I was confused.

Okay. Clearly they don’t know the word “equality” around here!

I felt just as angered as Jay was. But it was not a terrible anger. Since it was originally for boys, I thought that maybe I should do my own signal song.

“Then maybe we could throw some competition. This is perfect! I could call up the rest of my friends and we would rehearse a much better song than some boring selected song by the agency!” I said aloud.

But Jake overheard me. I didn’t notice. I couldn’t look back and go out with a lot of suspicion.

But that means they would vote for her every time she passes a test. I-LAND was for boys. Couldn’t they do girls next season?

I didn’t know that Jake wanted to debut as a K-Pop idol as well as me. But my dream isn’t as big as his. I’m just doing what I want to do. He just wanted the perks and the fame. I would have to say there is a tint of forgotten irony in our relationship.

And then, just when I entered the living room, all of the girls in my girl group saw me and circled around me. At first I didn’t know why they were there in the first place. Until I remembered my sub-unit’s unexpected visit that one day. They wanted to form a girl group and a sub-unit. I wanted that to come true as well!

“We missed you so much, Y/N!” said Lara, giving me a tight hug, as always.

“We thought we were never going to see you again after the last time you left the agency.” Juliet added.

“Ladies, I always wanted you all to come here. I think this might actually work out! I think we all will become the best cover artists in the country!”

Everyone cheered once they heard my words. Of course we would have a lot of potential once we reach our debut. But for some reason, I felt this feeling that one or a few of the boys would have some sort of competition with us.

 

.

.

.

 

Jake had been my best friend since the middle of my idol training. I never understood that he could be jealous of me. But that doesn’t mean he wouldn’t support me. He is always there for me. I think…I don’t know…it could be because he doesn’t have a lot of friends in Korea as he did back in Australia. I felt quite sorrowful for him.

Anyways, it was while we were hanging out in the main living room, near the kitchenette, when we were discussing our parts for the signal song of the show.

“So…there we play a very special role in this first test.” I said, explaining the surprise for everyone.

Please log in to read the full chapter