twenty-seven.

Can I Have This Dance?

Song of the chapter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfUlE2LlGro


"Kai?"

"Do you...do you really have to go?"

You had ended up calling Kai, and you could hear the hurt in his voice. You wished you could tell him something else just to make him happy again, but nothing came to your mind.

"I'm sorry."

For a few minutes, there was absolute silence as the both of you were absorbed in your own thoughts. You wondered whether you should tell him that you hoped that the both of you could continue being good friends even after you leave, or whether you should confess that you actually fell for your very own best friend but he was ignoring your call, so you needed advice from Kai.

"You're still coming tomorrow, right?"

"Of course."

"I know what to do. Don't think too much, go and sleep soon. See you."

You didn't manage to squeeze a sentence in as Kai hanged up on you, and you stared at your phone wondering what was with the guys in your life - they all seemed eager to avoid you.

You pulled your blanket over yourself, and tried to go to sleep, but all that was running through your mind was Kai's voice, telling you not to go.

You half-wished that it was Myungsoo's one instead.


Myungsoo adjusted the biker gloves he had on, and took another look at his own reflection in the mirror. He nearly couldn't recognize himself. Infinite had decided to go with a new style for the dance-off, and he had to admit that the haircut that Dongwoo forced him to get was a pretty good decision. 

Infinite was currently preparing for the dance-off just an hour later in none other than the leader's house, and everyone was suddenly in this serious and tense mood that was unusual, considering that they were usually quite cheerful.

"We all know you're good-looking, but you really need to stop staring at yourself so frequently." Sunggyu casually commented as he tried to tidy his hair.

"I can't imagine what the rest of the other dance crews would think when they see who our 'L' is," Woohyun smirked. "Did you read the forums online? There are tons of threads just speculating who our new member is. You're already famous before your 'debut'." 

"Weren't you supposed to be working on your vocals, instead of reading gossip online?" Sunggyu frowned. "You know full well that we're singing today, right?"

"Yes sir yes sir," Woohyun pretended to salute. "I know it's an important day to you, since you get to sing in public for the first ever time and capture the audience's hearts and -"

"Glad you know."

Myungsoo suddenly felt his nerves acting up as time ticked by, and he checked his phone again out of habit. There were still ten missed calls, and a few unopened messages, all from you. He didn't want to let anyone or anything distract him today, and especially not you, so he decided to switch off his phone instead.

"Didn't know you were the type to play hard to get."

Sungyeol put on a few more ear studs in his heavily studded ear, and Myungsoo shook his head.

"It's complicated."

"How complicated can things get? It's either yes or no. I hate grey, it's neither here or there." 

"If I didn't know better, I would say you're simple-minded."

"Not simple-minded, just easy-going. Why make life so hard?" Sungyeol shrugged. "We have to go down to Hongdae soon, so get your spirits up and let's go wow the crowd!"

"Leggo!" Sungjong's happy voice rang around the house, and Myungsoo nodded.

"Let's go. L is going to show his face today."


"So you finally decide to turn up?"

EXO stopped whatever they were doing as Kai entered the dance studio. He had a different aura about him, and it honestly scared everyone.

"I'm sorry. I have to do this well."

"For yourself, for us, or for her?"

"Oh Sehun, watch your tone."

Kai glared at his good friend, who was returning the stare. 

"Guys, break it up. Today's the day of our dance-off, and let's just work together well and settle everything else later, alright?" Suho tried to convince the both of them, but to no avail.

"No, if there's anything, we settle it now. I admit. I was distracted, but that's because she's leaving. She might be going overseas and I'll never see her again. I just-" Kai growled and ruffled his hair in frustration, "I just can't lose her, or I'll lose my own mind!"

Sehun's face softened. He hadn't known the reason behind his friend's distraction, and had clumsily lumped all responsibility on him. Even though it was really due to you that Kai wasn't concentrating well, Sehun still felt terrible seeing Kai possibly losing the first and only love of his life.

"I'm...I'm sorry."

"Is there no way we can stop her from leaving?" Baekhyun asked.

"It's her parents' decision. Initially, they actually gave it just as a suggestion but...I guess they're going along with it in the end. Plus, I guess she needs time to go and think of something else and take a break from all the mess in her life recently. At least, that was what she told me last night."

"If you can't stop her, then impress her." Kris gave Kai a firm look. "Make her never forget you, never stop thinking about you."

"I'll do just that, and I need you guys to help me. Please."

It was the first time that Kai had ever asked anyone for help, and EXO knew that this must really mean a lot to him. 

"You didn't have to ask, of course we will!" Xiumin grinned, and Tao nodded along.

"WE ARE ONE!" 

"So, am I forgiven?" Sehun whispered to Kai as they all scattered off to diffferent parts of the studio to put on their costumes. Kai paused, and whacked him on the head.

"Ouch! I get it, I get it!"

"Good." Kai smiled a little as he put on a sparkly jacket. "Now let me run through the steps in my head, will you?"