Chances; --ethereal

VANILLA SKY'S ONE-SHOT COLLECTION [CLOSED]

| Chances | All ages | Angst/Romance/Bittersweet | Changmin/Nickhun/OC | Warning: angst | Disclaimer: I do not own the characters, only the storyline. |

Chances

“An invisible red string connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place or circumstance.

The thread may stretch or tangle, but it will never break.”

- Chinese Proverb

Mina’s POV

Shim Changmin.

Shim Changmin.

Shim Changmin.

What comes to your mind when you think of that name?

DBSK. Legend – the greatest singer. Mirotic’s highest note. Shim Changmin.

But when I think of Shim Changmin, I think of betrayal, revenge, hatred, but most of all, and the one thing most contradicting – love. Shim Changmin was my high school sweetheart, and as all first loves, he broke my heart – smashed it into a million pieces and the entire trauma and drama and whatnots. But I loved him, and I still do. Changmin took a part of me when he left for that other girl – Eun Mi, but they broke up a year later anyway.

Changmin is a rising star now, what with TVXQ and their success. I don’t blame him, he was an amazing singer in our time. He sang to me every night – I’m not lying. He really did that for me.

I am too, Lee Mina. Ring a bell? Well, for one, I’m an actress, starred in a few productions. Recently I’ve taken up a new drama, and… guess who’s the lead?

Shim Changmin.

Shim Changmin.

Shim Changmin.

Changmin’s POV

Fate gave me a second chance, for what a bastard like me did before. I’m a jerk, moron, idiot, and imbecile, whatever you call me. I shouldn’t deserve this, but I got it. Mina was hurt deeply by me, and it was even worse because I was her cho sarang – her first love. Let me explain the background details. I was the most popular guy in the school, and Mina was an unknown goddess in the background, nobody noticed her, but when I finally broke ranks to become her boyfriend, she became popular.

When we were together, I was truly happy, never before had I felt so complete, and so much so that I became complacent. We were such a compatible couple, and I guess fate decided to test us. It was about time, perhaps. I fell in love with my next-door neighbour. How cliché, right?  But it’s true. Her name was Eunjung, not the T-ara Eunjung, just plain old Eunjung.

She moved in and seduced me into her traps. Eunjung attracted me with her looks, and if I was a playboy, she was a seductress, because I was completely drawn to her. Every time she smiled, my heart fluttered. Every time she laughed, my stomach made a flip. And then one day, she came across to my house, walked right in, and kissed me. She kissed me hard. After that… well you don’t want to know. Anyway, she asked me to be her boyfriend. I was too dazed to say ‘no’.

I had to break up with Mina, so I did. When I did that, I became the boyfriend of Eunjung, but she was so ‘loose’ and constantly went around with other guys, so I broke up with her after a year, and that’s when my career began as a star.

Now, I have a second chance.

I am starring in a drama, with a girl named Lee Mina.

----------

“Shim Changmin, and Lee Mina, here are the scripts.” The director hands us two thick ‘books’ and says to himself, “Now where’s that other boy…” He seems to be looking for someone.

The awkwardness level is still really high, and Mina isn’t talking to me, just reading her script silently.

“Mina, I –” I start to say, but I’m painfully cut off by her voice.

“Shut up Changmin. Say no more – I don’t want to hear it.” She scoots away, further from me.

I return to my script regretfully, and there’s a kiss scene in the first episode – the accidental kind, and then subsequently there are many others too. Unfortunately, there’s another guy who kisses her, a lot actually, and he’s the Casanova. I wonder who he is. So the story is that Mina’s a beautiful ballerina who I’m supposed to be entranced by. She’s already with another guy, but he cheats on her, and I’m supposed to be with her in the end. I’ve read the script before, but I’m still excited to act in this.

“I’m here!” The mystery guy says. I turn and my eyes almost pop out of my sockets. It’s Nickhun, the ‘Thai Prince’! I’m shocked out of my own skin. Nickhun comes over in big strides. “Yo, Changmin!” He says, and turns to see Mina. Don’t you dare – before I’m even done thinking the thought, Nickhun smirks and says, “Well hello there, what’s your name?”

“Hi, the name’s Lee Mina, and I believe you’re Nickhun, no?” Mina replies curtly.

“Why, yes I am. How did you know?” He asks, curious about her knowledge.

“I live in the modern century and I’m in the entertainment circle too.” She says and rolls her eyes. I chuckle silently. Nickhun doesn’t know his limits.

“Right. Right. So I’ve heard. Do you know Changmin?” Nickhun gestures to me.

A look of urgency crosses her face for a millisecond, and then she smiles and says, “No, I believe I don’t. Hi, my name’s Mina.” She ‘introduces’.

I decide to play along; I’ll talk to her later, “Nice to meet you. It’s Shim Changmin, twenty-three this year, how old are you?”

“What a question Changmin! Asking a woman’s age is a no-no, isn’t it?”

“No, kwenchana, I’m twenty, so you’re my oppa.” Mina smiles. I missed her smiles. It’s been so long since she last called me that.

“Ah. I see. So Mina-ssi –”

“Everybody!” Before I’m able to speak, the director calls for a meeting. The scriptwriter and director and actors gather around the big table.

“Are you guys ready to act the first scene?” The director asks. “Neh.” We all reply, and he tells us to go get ready.

Mina changes into a leotard and a skirt. The leotard is black, and it’s cross-backed. The skirt is the long and flowing type, also black. Her shoes are pale beige in colour, and they’re Pointe shoes. Mina still does ballet, as a side career, and so she can handle this role. In the first scene she’s supposed to be in the studio, dancing, and I’m watching her.

“Scene one, take one, action!” The director calls.

Mina’s POV

I take the cue and start my routine with the music. Director told me to create the dance as I went along and it’s supposed to be freestyle. The music is really helping to soothe my soul. In this scene I’m supposed to notice Changmin. He’s the new guy in the school, and when I notice him, I fall, because he’s ‘so handsome’ and he comes to help.

Taking the cue again, I fall; hard on the ground, but it just looks hard. I frown and my eyebrows crease. Changmin enters quickly and bends down. When our eyes meet, we’re supposed to smile. I do, genuinely, and he picks me up – our gazes don’t break.

“Why are you here?” I ask.

“I’m… you see… I’m… I’m a new student here and –”

“Happen to be passing by?” I finish for him. “Ah, yes, yes, that is correct.”

I laugh, and move towards the bar. “Am I that enchanting?” I ask, and start stretching with the bar, moving into a split position easily. “Wow…” He mutters, loud enough for me to hear. “This? This is nothing.” I smile into the mirror. Changmin’s character here is called Minhyuk, and I’m Hyorin – Im Hyorin.

“Your name is…?” I start to ask, and bend backwards, still in split position, to touch my toes. My body is extremely flexible, and my mother used to say that I was born to dance, if not act, that is. “Park. Park Minhyuk.” He stutters. “Ah, and I’m Im Hyorin, if you didn’t know, dance major.”

“I’m in the applied music major. I play the guitar.” He says. “I also sing.”

“Oh, you do? Sing for me then, sing!” I ask. Changmin opens his mouth to sing, but the director yells, “CUT!”

“Nice job guys, now we’re filming Nickhun’s part. You guys can take a quick break. Touch up the make-up! Chop, chop, everybody!”

Changmin’s POV

“Mina –” “Didn’t I tell you not to speak to me?” Mina cuts me off again, and moves to the make-up artists. “Was it not clear the first time around?” She adds in a huskier, lower, and much more terrifying voice. I trail behind her and sit down while the make-up artist brushes up the make-up and hands me a bottle of mineral water. Nickhun’s scene is acted out with another actor, which is supposed to be his father.

“Appa! You can’t – can’t make me. I’m going to that school and there’s no way you’re stopping me!” “CUT!” The director yells. “Mina, Changmin, are you guys ready?” He yells. That guy has a crazy voice. We both nod and move into the room. Her expression changes almost instantly, her darkness is masked by a beautiful, flawless, happy expression.

“Mina, repeat your last line, and Changmin, you can start singing.” Director smiles. “ACTION!”

“Sing for me then, sing!” She says.

So goodbye don’t cry and smile
those emotional days I will
treat it as a gift and give you
So goodbye, to the lonely me who once hide in the dark
I need you
I need your love again

just like waiting for every other day to arrive
leaving the aching wound and sad recollection of me
the impression of seeing your for the first time
as if the time has stopped, my eyes has got only you
although there is setback
I won’t regret
closing my eyes I could feel you breathing
so I could smile

So goodbye don’t cry and smile
those emotional days I will
treat it as a gift and give you
So goodbye, to the lonely me who once hide in the dark
I need you
I need your love again

although there is setback, I won’t regret
closing my eyes I could feel you breathing so I could smile
So goodbye don’t cry and smile
those emotional days I will
treat it as a gift and give you

So goodbye, to the lonely me who once hide in the dark
I need you
I need your love again
So goodbye don’t cry and smile
those exhausted years
for the sake of you I will forget
So goodbye , to the lonely me who once hide in the dark
I need you
I need your love again

So goodbye, to the lonely me who once hide in the dark
I need you
I need your love again
So goodbye don’t cry and smile
those exhausted years
for the sake of you I will forget
So goodbye , to the lonely me who once hide in the dark
I need you
I need your love again

I need you
I need you for my love

By the time I finish singing, Mina’s eyes become a blur and she tears up. In the script she’s supposed to, but something tells me it isn’t just the script that she’s following. “That was… beautiful.” She gasps, “You have a beautiful voice. I have an upcoming performance, and I’m looking for a singer to accompany my dance. It’ll be modern dance, and the tempo’s a bit slowed… do you mind playing the guitar and singing there?”

“Aniyo, I don’t mind! What’s the date, time? Rehearsals?” I ask.

“I’ll text you. What’s your number?” She asks me, and we both whip out our phones and exchange numbers.

“There, all done. Thanks for –” Her phone rings.

“Ah, yeobo! Yes, yes, do you believe I finally found a singer to accompany my performance?” She starts to say and mouths to me, I’ll text you later, and leaves the room. Her voice, faint, but still clear, “Yes, yes! He’s a great guy! Oh you must meet him!”

“CUT!” The director calls. “That’s a wrap! Mina, Changmin, go rest for a bit, and Changmin, boy? Great singing!”

Nickhun grabs Mina by the arm and pulls her to a corner. I follow them quickly. I hear low whispers, but I can’t hear what they’re saying clearly, but it’s something about her acting, that it’s really good and all. Mina smiles and laughs, and he her hair softly. She blushes and thanks him, uncomfortably taking his hand away. I smirk – serves him right for trying to flirt with her. The director calls us back; I don’t realize five minutes have passed already. I think it’s going to be an easy scene next.

“We’re filming the kiss scene now!” “What?” We both are shocked. The kiss scene? “Yes, yes! Quick go read through the lines a bit before you go on. Sorry about the sudden change, but filming this first is easier.”

Mina’s POV

We’re going to film the kiss scene. I’m going to kiss Changmin. I’m going to kiss Changmin. I can’t concentrate. The lines are easy, in this scene, Changmin plays the guitar and sings, and I dance along with it. He finds a part of the routine a little off, my turn, which I never get right especially with my dance shoes. He comes over to help me, and when I land into his arms, (it’s all so dramatic – yes) but still, we kiss.

“Action!” The director yells. Here goes, I think.

Changmin sits on the stool and starts strumming, while I dance. I pretend to mess up, and he has to keep repeating the song because of this. So he stops playing, stands up and makes his way over to me, smiling.

“I think this is… a little wrong. I might not be an expert, but I think I can help.” He takes my hand and he’s pressed behind my back, I can feel my heart thumping. I think his is too. “1, 2, 3 turn.” He counts and I go, of course I stumble. He quickly catches me, and I’m lying on his arm, looking into his eyes, those beautiful, mesmerizing eyes that captured my heart years ago. We share a few more moments before he leans towards me and places his lips on mine.

I’m not kidding when I say this – fireworks practically set off in my head. I got so absorbed into the kiss. Changmin and my moments were so vivid as it flash like a record player in my head. Memories come flooding back, and I begin to move my lips against his softly. He responds, and I realize how much I’ve missed him. He still loves me, but I’ve been rejecting him, but that’s because I love him too.

I was too stupid to realize that I love him, so much so that I wanted to forget him. But I don't think I can do that now. As far as I know, Changmin and I, have a special relationship that goes far beyond love. I can’t live without him, nor can he. We’re like people on a thread, if one end is cut, the other cannot live. If it’s split right down the middle, then we’ll both suffer.

I never realized loving him was so difficult. But now I do, and I appreciate him for that.

“Cut!” The director calls. I think, crappy director, what did I do wrong? “That was a bit too bland. I’m sure you can do better! But I’ll let you off this time since we’re ahead of schedule, let’s let Nickhun have his scene. Go brush up with your make-up or get a sip of water and be back in half an hour.

Once we’re given the all clear, I run away, all the way to the top of the penthouse, because I know I’m flushing red. I can feel my face turning hotter by the moment. I hear footsteps behind me and I know it’s Changmin. I smile.

“Mina… I’m –”

I turn around, cut him off, and willingly throw myself at him, hugging him and leaning my head on his broad and wide chest. “I’ve missed you so much Changmin… I’m sorry I didn’t realize how foolish I was! Changmin I’m sorry, I really do love you.” Changmin’s too shocked to react at first, but then he pulls me away from him and messes my hair up like he used to, chuckling as he does so.

“Mina… Silly girl. I love you too. You don’t have to be sorry, I am. For being such a jerk before, and now, I really do love you. I was stupid not to realize how beautiful you were, and went for that vixen Eunjung.” Changmin kisses the top of my head softly. “I’ll always love you.”

“I know, but… You were jealous when Nickhun praised me right? I saw you, you know?” I say cheekily. “You did? Oh… about that…”

“I love you, and I always will, okay, Changmin? Don't worry about Nickhun; he’s too muscular for me anyway. Plus he’s so dumb.” I reassure him. “Oh… okay then.”

“Want to practice for our future kiss scenes? We didn’t do too well didn’t we?” I grin mischievously, and Changmin’s still holding me.

“Hmm, I think we didn’t. Let’s practice. After all, practice makes perfect doesn’t it?” That’s the last thing he says before our lips meet again, and again. 


A/N: This is for angelovevil!(: Sorry I took so long! Stupid personal reasons. ><" Comment and request okay?(: