Four

Oil and Water

 

Jaehyo stepped forward, extending his hand. “Mr. Bang Yongguk, it’s nice to see you again. I’m Dr. Ahn—“

 

He was interrupted by Daehyun’s whimpers. Yongguk turned his attention to his best friend who was curled up on a cart. With long strides, he reached his side quickly. “Daehyunnie, what happened?”

 

“Guk-ah? Is that you?” Daehyun sniffled.

 

Yongguk placed a reassuring hand on his shoulder. “Yes, it’s me.”

 

Daehyun motioned for him to come closer. When his face was close enough, Daehyun whispered, “I’m fine but we have to act like I’m not. I think I know Ms. Kim’s weakness. We’ll never be able to bribe her but if we guilt-trip her she’ll do us a favor.”

 

Yongguk frowned. He didn’t like this idea very much. The girl was not going to get anything out of it. At least if he offered to compensate her for her time, she’d have money. “I’d rather pay her than play with her emotions.”

 

“She’s not gonna accept a single cent from you after what you just said about her,” Daehyun hissed. “Trust me on this, Yongguk.”

 

Yongguk was still not convinced. “I don’t know…”

 

Daehyun sighed exasperatedly. “Do you want to end up drugged and wake up after your stepmom has had her way with you?”

 

The thought of the gold digger taking advantage of him was all it took to change Yongguk’s mind. Cursing his dilemma, he sent a silent apology to the girl he was about to drag into his mess. Nodding, he squeezed Daehyun’s shoulder and turned around. Ms. Kim, the doctor, and another girl he didn’t recognize were staring at him. He cleared his throat and gruffly said, “Who’s responsible for this?”

 

Himchan could feel Youngjae flinch beside her. Before her best friend could say anything, however, she stepped forward and jutted her chin. “I am,” Himchan answered confidently.

 

Yongguk took a deep breath before addressing the two people behind her. “Please leave. I have to discuss this with Ms. Kim.”

 

Youngjae started to protest, clasping Himchan’s hand, but Himchan shushed her. “Don’t worry, Youngjae-yah, I’ll be fine. I can handle this. Go with Dr. Ahn outside and wait for me,” Himchan said under her breath. When Youngjae shook her head, still refusing to leave her, she added, “Please trust me on this.”

 

Youngjae hesitated before nodding her head. “I’ll just be right outside the door if you need me, Chan-ah, okay?” Shooting Yongguk a death glare, she followed Dr. Ahn out of the room.

 

Once the door closed behind them, Himchan faced Yongguk squarely. “Look, I’m genuinely sorry about your friend but my friend was just protecting me. She thought he was you and some kind of erted stalker. And judging from your comment earlier this afternoon you can’t really blame her, can you?” It all came out in a rush, leaving Himchan out of breath. She mentally smacked herself. She didn’t want him to see how nervous she really was.

 

Yongguk could tell she was scared and felt sorry for her. If it weren’t for his damn stepmom, he wouldn’t be cornering her right now. But he was desperate. In a low voice, he said, “But I’m not a erted stalker, Ms. Kim, and neither is my friend. We’re upstanding citizens and what your friend just did is called assault.” He saw the devastation on Ms. Kim’s face and felt like an . She looked like a defenseless little mouse—a very pretty defenseless little mouse—getting cornered by a cat with absolutely nowhere to hide.

 

Himchan sputtered, “B-but it was in self-defense.”

 

“Again, Ms. Kim, we are upstanding citizens. The court will not see it that way,” Yongguk said calmly, not wanting to aggravate her more than what was necessary.

 

Himchan could feel the sting of tears behind her eyelids as she closed her eyes. She had no choice. She could not let this man use his power to exact his petty revenge by using her friend. She knew he was pissed off about what she did to him. Himchan decided to set her pride aside. Squaring her shoulders, she took a deep breath, and slowly got on her knees.

 

Yongguk’s eyes widened. He was definitely not expecting this. But before he could tell her to stand up she said in a resigned tone, “You win, Mr. Bang Yongguk. Tell me what you want me to do and I’ll do it. Just please…please don’t bring my best friend into this.”

 

He couldn’t go through with it anymore. He’d just have to find another way to stop his stepmom once and for all without fracturing their already dysfunctional family. He did not have the heart to use this girl for his own nefarious reasons. Bending down, he placed his hands lightly on her arms and said, “I’m sorry, I really am. I did not mean to insult you this afternoon. I was tired and…actually, no, there’s no excuse for such a despicable behavior. Please forgive me, Ms. Kim. And I’m sorry for what I just did. I was trying to guilt you into doing something for me, but I can’t do this anymore. I’m so sorry. Truly I am.” Yongguk could hear Daehyun groan but ignored him.

 

Himchan blinked and slowly lifted her head. She searched his face for any signs of him just playing with her but found none; he actually meant everything he said. “Y-you won’t press charges?”

 

Yongguk shook his head. “I won’t, I promise. I’m sorry.” Suddenly feeling very ashamed, he bent his head to avoid her eyes. “Please get up.” He tried to pull her up with him but she didn’t budge. Surprised, he looked at her again. She seemed to be contemplating something. “What’s wrong?”

 

“You said you needed me to do something for you,” Himchan said carefully. “What is it?”

 

“Forget it. It’s not important.”

 

Before Yongguk could stand up and walk away, Himchan grabbed his hand and said, “No, please. If it’s something I can do, I wanna do it.”

 

Yongguk felt the electricity shoot up his arm from where she was holding onto him. Confused, he stared at her hand.

 

Himchan followed his gaze and immediately let go. What was she thinking being so forward? She swallowed and said, “I’m sorry.”

 

Yongguk acutely felt the loss of her warmth and regretted it. Shaking his head, he assured her, “Don’t be. And don’t worry about what I said. It’s nothing.”

 

Himchan pouted. Man was this guy stubborn. Now she was more curious than ever. “I’ll forgive you if you tell me.”

 

Yongguk raised an eyebrow and smiled. She reminded him of his nephew whenever he wanted something. And was she really trying to bargain with him right now? How’d they come to this point anyway? Thoroughly amused, Yongguk patted the top of her head playfully. “Nice try, princess.” He didn’t mean to call her that but it totally fit her.

 

Himchan tried to ignore the fluttering in her stomach. Princess? She hated it when guys called her pet names, but for some reason she wanted to hear him say it again. Since threatening him didn’t work, she resorted to her other tactic. Putting on her most lost puppy look, she gazed into his eyes and said, “Please tell me?”

 

Yongguk chuckled. He knew exactly what she was up to and decided to shock her. “I need a girlfriend,” he said simply.

 

Himchan’s jaw dropped and she felt her face flush. That…she was not expecting at all. Did he just—“Did you just say you wanted me to be your girlfriend? You can’t make a woman fall in love with you without bribing them?” As soon as the words escaped her lips, she wanted to stuff her feet into her big mouth. There she was again. Speaking without thinking. Halmoni was right.

 

Yongguk noticed her chagrin and laughed. “Yes, Ms. Kim. It seems like no woman wants to be with a man like me.”

 

“Now you’re just playing with me,” Himchan said, huffing. Standing up, she dusted her knees and said, “Okay.”

 

Yongguk looked up at her. “Okay what?”

 

“Okay I’ll play your girlfriend.”

 

Yongguk blinked. “Are you sure? Because you don’t have to. I won’t press charges, I promise.”

 

Himchan smiled. “And that’s exactly why I want to. You’re a nice man, Bang Yongguk-ssi. I want to help you too.”

 

Yongguk felt sick to his stomach. If she only knew… But her smile. He suddenly found himself wanting to see that smile for as long as he could. He was being selfish. He shouldn’t take her up on her offer. But her smile…

 

“Then will you go on a date with me, Ms. Kim?”