Chapter 1

Utopia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Proxemics can be defined as the interrelated observations and theories of man's use of space as a specialised elaboration of culture. It is often mistakenly termed as the study of psychological effects of use of surrounding space. The two were completely unrelated. Proxemics dealt with the psychological space of a person whereas the latter was dependant on physical space.

 

Office spaces were necessarily depersonalised spaces, Minah decided. She took the time she needed to wait to observe the secretary's desk as she waited for the director to show. But it was common for emotional attachment to occur with borrowed spaces. She found a picture of what she assumed was the secretary's son and an arranged desk giving her the impression that she hadn't been around long enough to be possessive of her space. On the other hand, from what she had seen in most of the employee spaces, the desks remained cluttered and there were notes thrown about in frustration. The desks themselves were arranged in an identical fashion, giving no uniqueness to the employee who used them. The message being sent out was that all of them were uniform and part of a strict system. Her lips twitched. Employee dissatisfaction was surely common here.

 

Minah sighed, wishing she hadn't finished her last cup of coffee. She disposed of her cup and went back to her thoughts.

 

The human mind related the sense of space to how an individual looked at himself as a part of society. Every little detail was closely related to how he or she sensed themselves in relation to the bigger picture. Minah got a glance of the office as a group of people left the room. There was a huge French window and antique teak furniture. The Chief Executive Officer of the company must be a lavish man, judging by the size of his office and the minimalist look. Minah shook her head. She shouldn't judge people without looking at

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter