09

Gambling Lies

poll at the bottom~


I groaned in pure annoyance. If I had just been a little fast, and perhaps maybe even more secretive, this would have not had happened. Damn that Yong Yoon Sook. I strained a fake smile, pulling one on for the sake of Lina.

            “Lina,” he panted in short breaths as he suddenly grabbed her shoulders, as if steadying himself. Clearing my throat, I hoped to get his attention—and of course, I succeeded. “Kim Myungsoo,” his deadly eyes were narrowed directly at me.

            “Yes Yong Yoon Sook? How may I help you?” I sneered in an equally friendly way. Note on sarcasm overload.

            “Uhm, I’d love to stay here and catch up,” Lina’s voice caused us to both dart our eyes away from each other, “but…I’m afraid it’s getting late. I still have work tomorrow too.”

            “Right!” Yong Sook and I both simultaneously said before our eyes locked with one another. I slowly drew my eyes away before Lina noticed something was wrong—she already probably knew something was up, but still. I offered, “I’ll drive you.”

            “No, no. I don’t think you can, Myungsoo-ssi,” Yong Sook butted in with his arrogant of a voice. “Don’t you have some meeting to attend? I heard your project was running late. Besides, you live on the other side of town. You shouldn’t be here if you’re turning in your project late. I’m sure your boss would be mad.” I clicked my teeth as my fists clenched into small balls.

            “If that’s the case,” Yong Sook took my silence as a signal of defeat, “I’ll be happier than ever to Miss Lina Choi back to her house.”

            “That’s really not necessary,” Lina shook her head violently, “I can walk by myself perfectly fine. Besides, no need to waste gas. It’s only a few blocks away.”

            “Then I’ll walk with you!” Again both of our voices clashed into one. I seriously was getting ticked off. No joke.

            “Myungsoo-ssi, as much as I know you need to exercise, do so another day after you’ve completed your project.”

            “Yong Sook-ssi, I’d appreciate if you would back out of my business when you could be dealing with other matters concerning your new shipment,” I retorted back. Yong Sook merely pulled on a smug smile before replying, “I already dealt with my shipment. In fact we made a good profit out of it. What about you Myungsoo-ssi?”

            “I’m done with as well, and I’m quite certain my boss will appreciate my hard efforts. Though, I’m not sure the same could be said for you Yong Sook-ssi.” After the words rolled off my tongue, I noted something was off. Something was missing. Like a…presence. The darkness had consumed the tiny figure of Lina, and I couldn’t even make her figure out. She had left long ago, it had seemed.

            “Great,” I groaned, “you just ruined my chance with Choi Lina.”

            “I ruined your chance? Pft, Kim, you wouldn’t stand a chance against me.”

            “Let’s see how well it turns out, Yoon. I heard you got a crappy deal with your shipment. Just to let you know, I’m afraid you can never beat me at this selling game of ours.”

            “Say what you want, Kim,” Yong Sook stepped dangerously close to me, “But in the end, I’ll still beat you in other matters.” His hand gripped at my throat as he pushed me against the brick wall.

            “ you, Yoon Yong Sook,” I stammered with great difficulty as Yong Sook tightened his grip around my neck.

            “I’m being hospitable today, Kim Myungsoo. But if you never want to see the world again, I dare you to come back here,” he growled into my ear before releasing me.

            I snapped my neck back and forth, “You’re so weak, Yoon Yong Sook. Your drugs? Boss will be pissed at you. You got a ty deal and barely made any profit out of it. You honestly think $10000 will suffice? Think again. How does $50000 sound to you?” I fixed my collar before walking back to my car. Kim Myungsoo: 1, Yoon Yong Sook: 1. Shrugging that thought out of my head, I quickly gunned the engine. I was running late, and I had to get to the garage soon.

****

            Yong Sook banged his foot against the wall, overwhelmed by the fact Myungsoo was correct in so many areas. Myungsoo was right about everything he said, once again. Gritting his teeth, Yong Sook kicked a stray rock from the side. Damn that Kim. He eyed his twinkling Rolex before scurrying towards his own car. He was late to the competition, and he was participating in it. Hopefully, he would win again for the fourth year in the row. But from what he heard, this year was going to be tough competition. There would be new gangs joining. Yong Sook shook his head, knowing he could not let down his Axels.


Shipment refers to the drugs.  (see chapter 8)