03

Gambling Lies

 

After more than a month away from his birth city, Myungsoo decided it was high time he visited his pub. Yes, owning a pub was the closest thing he had gotten to. His aspiring dream: a successful owner of a business. Though to honestly speak, Myungsoo would have preferred a clothing business of some sort, not a bar. But he had to be grateful for everything. Swinging the back door open to the bar, Myungsoo was greeted by those skimpily dressed girls. Sure, he had been the one to hire these s*uts, but he was not the one to play with them. They were pathetic, desperate girls, in actuality.

            “Oppa,” one of them purred as their fingers trailed his arms, leaving him to shudder in fright.

            “Oppa my a*s. Go away s*uts.” Myungsoo pried their fingers from his body and sauntered away.

            “ him. He doesn’t know what he’s missing out on,” the proclaimed leader of the girls snickered, trying to protect her pride. “Let’s go girls.”

            “Messed up women,” Myungsoo cursed under his breath. His eyes scanned the bar for any familiar faces. Spotting his usual group of friends tucked in the far corner of the bar, he began walking towards them. That was, until he laid his eyes on the bar counter. A girl was shaking a knocked up drunkard, no doubt. But now that he got a closer look at the drunkard…he was no other than Yoon Yong Sook. Fury pulsed through his veins. And what gives him the right to be here?

            “What. The. . Are. You. Doing. Here.” Myungsoo hotly melted Yong Sook with his harsh glare, but unfortunately, he was dead to the world. The girl who was shaking him momentarily stopped, taking a quick peek at Myungsoo. Judging by her looks, she was no older than 25. She gave off a cold, but also at the same time, innocent aura. It was odd, to have such characteristics clash with each other.

            “It’s a free country, okay?” The girl defended, causing Myungsoo to slightly chortle. Oh, so she had thought his snide statement was directed at her. Deciding to have a little fun, Myungsoo replied, “Is it? But I own this bar. I can kick anyone out if I want to.”

            Silence. One. Two. Three. “Fine,” the girl tried her best to icily glower at Myungsoo, “we were about to go anyways.”

            “We?” Myungsoo cocked a confused eyebrow, before realizing she had implied herself and Yong Sook. “Then get out of here.” Knowing that this innocent, yet cold girl was with Yong Sook, ticked him off for some peculiar reason.

            “I would certainly love to, but with this drunkard here, I’m afraid it’ll have to slow down my process, Your Majesty,” the girl sarcastically replied before motioning towards Yong Sook.

            “Then deal with it. I want you out in a minute. Oh yeah, and don’t forget to pay.” Myungsoo smirked, the corner of his lips lifting ever so slightly.

            “Son of a b*tch,” the girl muttered under her breath before fishing out a few bills and thumbing through them. Myungsoo raised an offended eyebrow, feigning hurt. “Ahjussi,” she addressed the bartender, “how much does it cost with both of our drinks combined?”

            “A shot of Grey Goose is at least $7, and he at least downed about…twenty. Together with your glasses of martini, I would say it would total to $160.” The girl’s jaw dropped so low that Myungsoo was sure she would attract flies with her hanging mouth. “Ahjussi,” the color seemed to be drained of her face; her pale face was something similar to that of a ghost, “I only have $20 with me. Is there any chance-“

            “I’m sorry, Miss. There’s nothing I can do, really,” the bartender knew he had to oblige by the rules, given the fact that the owner was standing right in front of him, and could fire the bartender with a simple snap. “It’s out of my control. In any case, I’m sure your boyfriend has some spare change with him.” The girl shifted uncomfortably, as her cheeks reddened.

            “He’s not my boyfriend, ahjussi. We just met recently, we’re really not that close.” Myungsoo tapped his foot patiently, quietly contemplating what to do. After all, he was in charge of things around here. The bartender was merely working for Myungsoo. Ah, so that explains her uncomfortable actions…

            “It’s on the house,” Myungsoo’s voice rang out, causing the girl to snap her head back cautiously.

            “It’s really not necessary, Mr. Owner. Just because you’re the owner around here and can boss anyone you want, you don’t have to pay for my expenses,” the girl merely shook her head.

            “You think I want to? I’m just feeling pitiful of you, girlie. I could always let you stay here and pay off the debt.” Myungsoo smirked evilly. Reality had seemingly struck the girl when she opened in protest.

            “I-I’ll just wake up Yong Sook-ssi,” she mumbled to herself before proceeding to shake the motionless man.

            “Drunkards won’t wake up till the morning after,” Myungsoo leaned against the counter top, “Especially if they downed twenty cups of Grey Goose. Man, that’s strong.”

            “Damn,” she gritted her teeth, “Fine. Let it be on the house. Here’s your tip, ahjussi.” The girl tossed the bills in her hand to the bartender. “Now how am I going to get Yong Sook-ssi home…”

            “And yet again, Superman is here to save the day,” Myungsoo dryly chuckled, “I’m somewhat familiar with…” he sputtered out Yong Sook’s name with great difficulty since the two gangsters usually addressed each other with more…impolite names, “Y-Yong Sook-ssi,” he uncertainly glanced down at the sprawled out figure, “He can stay here for the night. Just worry about yourself.”

            “I don’t trust you,” she bluntly stated while shooting a wary glance at Myungsoo, “Prove it so that I can believe you.”

            “You’re really ridiculous, do you know that?” Myungsoo heaved a loud sigh; this girl was by far ridiculous. In fact, she had long past that mark. A loooong time ago. First asking for Myungsoo to pay for her, and now this? R-I-D-I-C-U-L-O-U-S. “Fine, you can let Yong Sook-ssi die in the bitter cold. It’s fine with me.”

            “N-No!” She stuttered as she held up both of her hands in protest. “I mean…I’ll stay here with him. It’s cold outside and I don’t-“

            “Are you serious?” Myungsoo shot the girl a pathetic look. She seriously was testing his patience. “What, you don’t have a home?”

            “Y-Yeah! I don’t have a home, got a problem with that? Now lead me to wherever Yong Sook-ssi and I are staying!” She got up from her seat and attended to Yong Sook.

            “One crazy woman.” Myungsoo muttered under his breath before waving over his group of friends to help the poor girl with Yong Sook.