Glass

Breath of Life

 

CHAPTER VIII / Glass

 

“Umma,” I say as I walk out of the door and close it. “What are you doing here?”

 

“Who’s that?” she asks as she raises her eyebrows. It gives me chills whenever I see her doing that. It kind of instills fear on me.

 

“W-W-Who?” I stutter as I look back.

 

“That man,” she says. She looks to the side and suddenly, she pushes me to the side and opens the door.

 

“U-Umma,” I say as I try to stop her by holding her wrist, but it’s too late. I ran to her front and I see her eyes wide. My heart is beating fast, scared on what she will say. “He… he’s…”

 

“A-A-Andwae,” she mumbles as she steps back. Her body is lightly shaking. I don’t know if she’s in the state of shock or mad at him. It is evident on her face that she can’t believe that a man is literally living with me.

 

“Umma, we are just friends,” I try to explain. I don’t want her to misunderstand why he is here in this hour.

 

Suddenly, she mumbles a name that I can’t figure out. “Who are you?”

 

I look back and I see Minho standing beside the couch. He is stiff and quite in surprise, too. He opens his mouth and say, “I-I’m Choi Minho, ma’am.”

 

“Why are you here?” she asks. I want to stop her from asking him questions. I know Minho is not in the right position to answer these. I’m supposed to answer these questions. Not him.

 

“Umma,” I start to explain but she says, “I’m not talking to you, Jinri.” And I keep quiet because I know she will continue to stop me in the future if I keep explaining myself. I look back again and see Minho’s hands clenching, scared and intimidated.

 

At this time, I want to defend him. I will not tell her the truth. I know it’s wrong, but I had to. “I’m here to visit her,” he suddenly says. My eyes got big as I am supposed to say that. I look at umma and she quite believes it. And when she believes someone, she knows that what the person says to her is true. She knows when someone is lying, and that’s why I’m surprised. She exhales with closed eyes, maintaining her posture while her purse is in her right hand.

 

“I’m sorry, Minho,” she says softly as she suddenly shows a smile that is quite pretentious. “I’ve mistaken you for someone else. Please do leave as soon as you’re done with your business with my daughter. Her neighbors are quite into gossips nowadays, and I don’t want her image to be tarnished.”

 

“Yes, ma’am,” he says politely. He, once again, shows his smile that’s endearing and makes you feel comfortable around him. “If I may ask, who is this person you’ve mistaken me for?”

 

“It’s none of your business,” she replies with a hint of annoyance. “I’ll get going now.” She smiles once again to Minho. She faces me and her expression changes to a blank one in an instant.

 

She looks at the whole living area, from the television on my right to the couch on my left. She then makes a glimpse of Minho from head to toe with her iris only moving. She does the same thing to me and she turns around afterwards. I open the door for her and she left the house afterwards.

 

 

The day after, we go to the nearest hair salon and Minho has his hair cut. I am reading a High Cut magazine issue from last month, waiting for the stylist to finish. I hear Minho call my name, so I close the magazine and place it on the coffee table. I look forward and I barely recognize him. My heart races as I don’t know what to say.

 

Honestly, his new haircut suits him. It’s some kind of a clean cut, far different from the messy hair I saw yesterday. It makes his face appear more… I don’t know how to express it. Probably, cute might be the term? “Does it suit me?” he asks as he smiles. Again, he smiles! I place my hand on my chest, feeling my heartbeat beating rapidly. What is with his smile that keeps my heart racing like this?

 

“Yes,” I say as I nod. Act naturally, I thought. I look at him straight and I smile awkwardly.

 

He then looks back and sees himself on the mirror. He slides his hand on the sides of his hair, trying to fix it more.

 

 

After, we go to the mall, and I see my high school best friend, Kwon Yuri. I miss her and her quirkiness. My classmates back then all said that she was my complete opposite. I am the quiet one in class; she is the most talkative one. I don’t make friends; she joins a lot of circles of friends. I am conservative; she is liberal. I am the ugly one; she is the beautiful one. But despite those extreme differences, we got together finely. More than fine, actually. She was the friend I depended on whenever I had problems with my family. She was the friend who fought for me against the people who hurt me.

 

Seeing her today is unexpected. “Yuri!” I shout, and she shouts, “Jinri!” For a second, I forgot that Minho was with me. I run to her and she runs to me. When we meet halfway, we hug each other tightly as we shake our bodies slightly. Squeals come out of our mouth involuntarily.

 

“How are you?” she asks as her smile never wears off.

 

“I’m good, I’m good! You?” I say excitingly.

 

“I just arrived from the States. And now, I’m quite relaxing by shopping!” she says blissfully. “Oh, and who’s he? Your boyfriend?” she asks as she looks at me mischievously.

 

“A-A-Aniyo!” I say. She laughs and faces him. “What’s your name?”

 

“I’m Choi Minho,” he says. He shakes his hand with her and projected his smile once again.

 

“Nice to meet you,” she says sweetly. She then walks close to me and whispers, “He’s so handsome. You should date him.” She then steps back and winks at me.

 

I shake my head in disagreement. I won’t date him. Never. And probably because I know that he doesn’t like me.

 

Together with Yuri, we shop for Minho’s clothes. Since Yuri studied fashion design and merchandise abroad, she gets to pick his clothes, while I am on their back seconding Yuri’s picks. And, I honestly agree with them. They are all stylish and at the same time, it fits his body and probably his personality.

 

 

After shopping, we go straight back home with Yuri’s number on my phone. We both promised each other to keep in touch.

 

“Jinri,” Minho says as he puts the paper bags on the couch.

 

“Yes?” I ask as I look at him.

 

“Will you get to be with Yuri more often?” he asks.

 

“Yes, probably. Why did you ask?”

 

“Can I join in with you two?”

 

“Why?”

 

“Honestly…” he says as he looks to the side. He is probably shy to say it in front of me. What could be his reason? Why did he want to join with us? Isn’t it because… “Please don’t say this to her, but… I… I like Yuri,” he says.

 

After weeks of questioning myself, I finally realize something. Behind the smile he projects every time and my heart racing after is a feeling. I realize that he’s my Kang Tae-joon in To The Beautiful You. He’s my Prince Lee Gak in Rooftop Prince. He’s my Goo Jun-pyo in Boys Over Flowers. He’s my Go Seung-ji in Panda and Hedgehog.

 

I… I… I like him.

 

~

 

FROM: MAXSTEPP

Hello! Here's another update. :D

As you might have noticed, I wrote it in Jinri's perspective and in present tense. From now on, I'll write it in present tense, regardless of who's point of view. :) And, it may take me time to edit the previous chapters. Haha.

About the chapter title, glass is the English term for Yuri. ;)

Hope you liked it. Thank you for the comments, subscriptions and upvotes. Please do comment. :) If you're liking the story, you can upvote the story. I appreciate it. :)

'Til the next update. :)