A chance

By your side

Angela went down the hallway to the secretary's office. It was a few meters away from the staircase, just like the map she received with her letter of acceptance showed. 

The secretary, a still pretty 40 year old lady, gave her her schedule. The young woman took a look at it and asked:

"Can I shift some of the classes if needed? I am working part-time and though my boss is really understanding I can't skip meetings with important clients."

"That should be no problem Miss, of course you need to check with your proffessors beforehand."

"Thank you!"

The next five hours Angela went to her classes and tried to show her teachers from the very first day that she is hard working and reliable. She had already noticed many people in Korea thought westerners are too lazy and wanted to break that impression before they started thinking that way of her too. It was almost time for lunch break and she looked around the classroom. Even though she tried her best to be polite and friendly no one really paid any attention to her and she felt isolated. 'Well, see if I care!'

As soon as the proffessor dissmissed them, she took her bag and went to grab lunch. With her just-bought sandwich she sat on a bench in the park nearby and ate watching children and animals playing around. One little girl was running after her older brother and when she couldn't catch him she stopped and pouted. Angela smiled at the cute sight.

"May I sit here?" - a girl was standing next to her, pointing at her bench. Angela recognised her - she was on of the girls in her Maths group.

"Sure." - the girl sat down and opened her lunchbox.

"Why are you here by yourself?"

Angela shrugged.

"I don't really know anyone here. And besides, I fit quite well into the "loner" definition." - with that she smiled and turned to the girl next to her just to see her bewilderded expression. "What?"

"So you don't have any friends?" 

"HHAHAHAHAHHAHA! Of course I have, but they are in my country. I just arrived here a week ago. I can't make friends that fast! By the way I am Angela."

"Oh, sorry, Lee Min Ji."

"Nice to meet you Min Ji-ssi"

"Please don't use formalities! I want to be friends with you."

Angela smiled: "OK then. But you have to know I don't trust people that easy. Nothing personal."

"Fine with me. I'll prove you can trust me."

 


From this day onward Angela and Min Ji stuck together. They soon found out they even work for the same company and asked their boss to put them in one team. Soon Angela found herself sharing with Min Ji things she never told anyone, her Super Junior addiction included. Min Ji was not a fan, but she said she respected the boys for their hard work and didn't think her new best friend had lost her mind.

A couple of weeks later, after Angela got her first paycheck, they decided to rent an apartment together. It was a small two-bedroom apartment and had been renovated soon. The kitchen was sunny and had everything they needed. The living room had a huge cosy sofa, a pretty wooden coffee table and two armchairs with many cushions. They decorated the bedrooms themselves - Min Ji's was in pink and white, and Angela's - in blue and purple.

There was a park near the buinding's back door with a playground and the place was near the company and the subway. The perfect home. Well, as close to home as it can get in a foreign country.

 


Three weeks after the semester started Angela and Min Ji found a comotion in front of their classroom. They were supposed to have Maths, but all the girls were outside screaming. One of the popular ones, that had a very nasty behaviour saw them and yelled at them:

"YAH! You two! What are you doing here? No one called you! Stay away from my oppa!"

Min Ji was flustered, but Angela remained calm and just looked at the rude girl:

"I'm having class now, so would you get out of my way or I have to force you out of it?" Her tone was suddenly ice cold. There was something in her eyes that made the first one back off. The two friends went in and saw their Maths proffessor talking to a tall guy. Several others of their male co-students were already seated, looking really anoyed. Angela paid no attention and went to her seat with Min Ji. Tha latter one whispered to her:

"Do you think he is a celebrity?"

"Pfffft. Who knows. Maybe. Judging by their reaction. Boy, those girls can be really stupid. Even if he is a celebrity can't they give him a break and act normal?"

In a minute or two the proffessor asked everyone to take their seats. The guy still had his face turned towards the white board. As there was usually only one empty seat in the classroom, the girls started fighting to leave that seat next to theirs, but the teacher silenced them and pointed Angela's table, which was designed to fit three students. The empty seat was next to Angela.

Then the guy turned to face them and she gasped. Min Ji looked at her and saw her friend's fist clenching as if she was trying to control herself. When the gyu sat down she recognised him - Cho Kyuhyun.

By that time Angela already had regained her composure and gave the young man a small smile as she moved closer to Min Ji to give him more personal space. 

Kyuhyun was somewhat grateful those girls didn't freak out like the rest and he concluded they probably didn't know who he is - especially the one that didn't look Asian at all. He sighed and took out his Maths textbook.

The next two hours went slowly for Angela. She was trying her best not to freak out in front of him. It was somehow easier when the lection started. She LOVED Mathematics. Kyuhyun had his eyes down or at the white board all the time and never looked at them. Angela was expecting this and sticked to the Math problems as well. She thought: 'Even if I can't give him anything else for all he has done for me, at least I can try not to be a burden.'

Shortly before the proffessor dissmissed them she announced they are going to have to do a project by the end of the semester (cliche I know :) - don't kill the author please). The teams were already picked and she announced them. Min Ji couldn't hold a squeal when she heard the name of her partner - the cute boy who sat on the first row. Angela laughed at her excitement and even Kyuhyun smiled. Seeing that Min Ji blushed. Kyuhyun turned to Angela and tried to meet her eyes. He had personally asked the proffessor to put them in one team after he saw how she paid no attention to him. He was tired of girls who would purposfully drag the project in time just to be with him and never really participate in the work. He had enough schedules to deal with. He noticed the girl next to him was nervous and was looking intently at their teacher. Then he heard his name and waited for her reaction.

Angela felt his stare and used every technique she knew to supress all the emotions that exploided in her. Joy, fear, confusion and many more paralised her. Somehow she found the strenght to look up and smile at Kyuhyun as if he was just one of the normal boys at school.

Not knowing her inner struggle, Kyuhyun relaxed in his chair.

Half an hour later Angela, Kyuhyun and his manager were sitting in a cafe nearby and discucssing how to adjust their schedules so they could finish the project on time. Kyuhyun decided to take the risk and tell her who he is before she learnt form her crazy co-students. To his surprise Angela just shrugged and said:

"I know already. I am an ELF."

Both Kyuhyun and his manager were stunned and the manager was already preparing for something terrible coming from this girl when she added.

"I am a fan, not a fangirl - so relax OK? The last thing I want is to create trouble or burden you more. I know you have enough already."

The men in front of her could just blink and nod. Well, that was something new.

"I think we can finish the project in two or three days if we make our own search for materials beforhand. So how about we meet next Saturday?"

The manager nodded and suggested they meet at the dorm in order to avoid public attention. Agreeing on that Angela stood up:

"Then I'll be leaving first. I have to be at work in less than an hour."

"We could give you a lift." Kyuhyun offered glancing at his manager for aproval.

"No, thank you. It's alright. It was a pleasure to meet you in person. Goodbye!"

"Hyung..." Kyuhyun trailed off, not being able to finish his sentence when she left.

"I know, I know. Let's hope she is really not a crazy fan. Though you know, she could hide it from us if she wanted."

"Yeah..." What a crazy day, thought Kyuhyun and headed for his Radio Star recording.

At that time Angela was in her office, trying to calm down, when her boss handed her and Min Ji their next assignment. Their company had signed a contract with Blizzard and now their team had to work on testing the new version of Starcraft and improving it. Angela smiled. 'What a crazy day...'