Autumn Hearts

Seasons Project

 

 

Autumn Hearts

They say seasons mark a new beginning..

 


 

Chanyeol held the bouquet of flowers in his right hand. He was running in the rain, trying to shield himself from the downpour with his jacket. The rain was harsh, the cold seeping through his clothes. He shivered when a drop trickled down the length of his back but he didn’t mind. Baekhyun wanted to see him and that was all that mattered.

 

They parted ways back in high school to pursue different careers. But before he was gone, Chanyeol confessed his love. Baekhyun thanked him and he asked him to wait. Chanyeol gladly agreed and never fell in love with another for the entire length of his college years. Four years, he waited. And now Baekhyun was just a few blocks away.

 

Everything around him faded into a blur as he flew passed them. His heart pounded, butterflies tensing in his stomach. From afar he saw the familiar sign of the café they used to go. The excitement formed a smile on his face.

 

Finally, he stopped running by the pedestrian crossing and it seemed like his lungs would burst.  The rain, however, intensified around him. The sprint and the anxiety of seeing Baekhyun seemed to take the strength of his legs, gluing him on the spot. He was scared of what Baekhyun’s expectations might be; or rather, what he was expecting.

 

He wanted to turn back. But at the same time, he badly wanted to see him. He took a deep breath and moved his feet towards the establishment.

 

One.

 

Two.

 

Three.

 

He crossed the street drowning himself in the sea of people walking.

 

Four.

 

Five.

 

Six.

 

Seven.

 

Eight.

 

Nine.

 

Ten.

 

A girl ran towards his direction.

 

Eleven.

 

Twelve.

 

Thirteen.

 

Fourteen.

 

Fifteen.

 

When she passed by him, he saw that she was crying.

 

 Sixteen.

 

Seventeen.

 

Eighteen.

 

 

 

 

He lost count of his steps because his concentration was directed towards the café. The rain blurred his vision. He wondered if the moisture was playing tricks with his eyes because he could see Baekhyun through the glass walls of the shop. His heart skipped a beat.

 

There was Baekhyun, his Baekhyun..

 

The world around him slowed down. He stood there mouth hanging and heart cracked open. He touched his face. He couldn’t even distinguish his tears from the rain. The bouquet of flowers dropped from his hand and landed on the wet pavement.

 

There was Baekhyun…

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

..holding hands with another man.