Chapter One

Driving In Cars With Boys
Chapter One:
Sitting Next To Kim Jongin
 

Students headed out early to get to class and study. There is only one month of school left making students work hard on their exams. The students started to wear light clothing as it was the middle of spring. As for Kim Jongin, it was one more month until he was free from school and being watch over by a social worker.
Kim Jongin grew up in an abusive family making him wanting to leave home as soon as possible. The only thing that was holding him back was his mother. Jongin stayed to protect his mother from her abusive husband. Jongin's father had left his mother before he was even born; his mother remarried someone who can help her financially.
Everything change when Jongin mom got a brain tumor and died later that year. Jongin had nothing to hold him back making him leave the house at the age of 15 years old. With the help of a social worker, Jongin was able to get into a youth community where he would live in an apartment for cheap. The city gave him a monthly allowance to pay for necessities.
Jongin once had a dream about becoming a race car driver. He even got a part-time job to buy a vehicle. Jongin used his hands to fix the car, paint it, and make it run again. He was able to go to school in a sweet car ride and gain new friends who have the same passion for racing.
It was three years, Jongin survived alone. He only had one more month and he would be free from social service, school, and the youth community. Jongin has plans for his future, he would be able to find a job as a race car driver and get a house and live the rest of his life. Jongin once thought about having a family, he even found the perfect girl until she shattered him like a mirror. All broken and useless, even if his friends weren't able to help put back the pieces. You could still see the cracks in the mirror and that was Jongin; a beautiful mirror with cracks.
Jongin opens his locker and fixes his hair in the mirror. Next to the mirror was a picture of Sora, the girl who stole his heart and ripped it to pieces. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn’t get rid of the picture of the two together. “Jongin!” his best friend Chanyeol shouted for him. Jongin quickly hides the photo and closes his locker.
Jongin smirks and fist pump his best friend “Welcome back old friend, how was America?” Jongin asked. Chanyeol didn’t tell anyone why he left all he said it was family issues. Jongin and his friends accepted and didn’t ask any further questions.
“It was good, I enjoyed it. My extended family would be staying here for a while, which is going to be interesting. I shouldn't be here but I told them I wanted to graduate with my friends” Chanyeol said and smiled. Jongin and Chanyeol's family came from complete opposites, but somehow their friendship blossom. Jongin never showed envy to Chanyeol's perfect family and Chanyeol never looked down at Jongin for coming from a poor family “Where are the others?” Chanyeol didn’t see his other friend's in the hall or with Jongin.
“You know it's exam time, everyone is in class studying” Jongin laughed and slung his arm around Chanyeol's shoulder and then ruffled his hair. The bell rings pulling the two apart “Well I will see you at lunch” Jongin said, and both friends walked in a separate direction. Jongin went to his class and sat in the back in his usual spot.
Whispers were going through the class as girls and boys gossip. It got Jongin attention when he heard someone say “A new girl is coming to join our class, we only have one month left of school” Jongin raise an eyebrow at her comment. Just then the door opens and the teacher walks in a student following behind.
The class was dead silent as the girl casually walks in and leans on the blackboard. The teacher looks through some papers then at the students; she looked at the class to see where the new student can sit. “Everyone this is Kim Yuna,” The teacher said. Kim Yuna nods making people whisper again. Kim Yuna forgot that she was in Korea and that you have to bow when greeting people “Yuna can you sit next to Kim Jongin there in the back” The teacher said.
Yuna starts to walk through the aisle while she stared at Jongin. Students kept whispering to one another about Jongin past events with his old desk partner. “That was Sora's seat, he never allows anyone to seat in her seat” One girl whispered “Yah- didn’t Jongin get Sora kicked out because she broke his heart” Another girl whispered.
Yuna stood before her desk as Jongin and her look at each other. Jongin felt his heart starting to race and his palms becoming sweaty. Yuna cleared and slung her bag over the chair and sat down. She took her long dark hair place it on one side of her shoulder making her other shoulder exposed to Jongin. Jongin stared and admires her beauty, in his eyes all he could see was only her.
The teacher continues with her lesson, but Jongin never stops looking at Yuna. She was different from Sora, who was an elegant girl who wore frilly dresses and cute makeup. Yuna, on the other hand, wore old converse, mama jeans, and a black t-shirt with heavy black eyeliner. She was pulling off the indie rock look which made Jongin even more attracted.
Jongin notices a bundle of hair falls to the side of her face. Without even releasing it, Jongin goes and pushes the bundle of hair behind her ear. Yuna turns her head and looks at Jongin “What are you doing” Yuna asked making Jongin frozen. Jongin retracts his hand back to his side and looks at the board.
Yuna sigh and continue listening to the teacher lesson. When Jongin was safe, he looks at Yuna and everything about her. He saw the grip tighten around her pencil she was holding ‘I’m I making her uncomfortable I should stop looking at her’ Jongin said to himself in his head.
When the lunch bell finally rings he turns to Yuna hoping to ask her to eat with his friends. However, she was already out the door leaving her backpack and belongings behind. Jongin sighs harshly and slams his fist on the desk making the students look at him. Jongin ruffles his hair and stands up, he looks at Yuna's seat to be empty.
Jongin had an idea but didn’t know if he should do it or not. Jongin looks around and sees everyone left to the cafeteria already. Jongin takes the opportunity and looks through Yuna's backpack. He knew what he was doing was wrong, but he wanted to know Yuna better. Jongin wanted to know what was so special about her that made his heart race like no tomorrow.
Jongin found a half-eaten chocolate bar, her cell phone that was locked, empty notebooks, and a picture. Jongin looks at the picture and bites his lips hard. The picture was Yuna side hugging Chanyeol and her kissing him on the cheek at the beach. Jongin decided to take the picture and put it in his wallet. “I don’t care if my best friend has her, I’m going to have Yuna as mine,” Jongin said out loud in the classroom.
Jongin walks down the hall smirking making all the girls blush and whisper to their friends. Guys envy Jongin, not only did he have a sweet ride but he had the looks that made all girls fall for him. Jongin walks into the cafeteria and sits with his usual friends. Kyungsoo handed Jongin a lunch box made for him since Jongin couldn't afford anything. Jongin appreciates his friends helping him out time to time “Thanks” Jongin said and smile.
“So I heard a new girl join your class Jongin, why is that?” Suho asked, and Jongin just shrugs his shoulder. Jongin didn’t want to talk about Yuna and his feelings towards her just yet. They would just say that it is too early for him to be in a relationship and that he shouldn’t go over Chanyeol's girl. Jongin looks around the table, and notice Chanyeol is missing.
“Hey were is Chanyeol?” Jongin asked, however, Suho and Sehun didn’t know since they have classes together not with Chanyeol. Baekhyun, on the other hand, is desk partners, but he just shrugs his shoulders and kept eating.
“Oh wait, I think he told me about seeing a friend,” Baekhyun said and nodded “If he did, I can’t believe he found new friends, I feel so hurt.” Baekhyun held on to his heart as Sehun laughed at his Hyung. “What if he is seeing a lady friend” Baekhyun played with his eyebrows. The thought of Chanyeol with Yuna doing God knows what made Jongin very jealous. Jongin quickly stood up and leaves the cafeteria making his friends clueless about his behavior.
When Yuna left she headed straight to the rooftop waiting for her step-brother to show up. After about 5 minutes of waiting Chanyeol finally reaches the rooftop with two large containers. Yuna smiled and waved her hand which made Chanyeol happy. He didn’t like seeing Yuna unhappy in America; he wanted his little sister to be happy and live her life to the fullest. “What took you so long,” Yuna said and pouted.
Chanyeol sat down next to Yuna and ruffled her hair. “Silly girl, I had to get the food from our driver!” Chanyeol shook the food box making Yuna gasp and reach for her food. “I told him to make your favorite pulled pork sandwich and poutine,” Chanyeol said. Yuna opens her box and saw the food. Instantly started to water making her her lips.
Yuna took the sandwich and chomped a huge bite of it “So Good!” Yuna said with full. Chanyeol shook his head and took some napkins and cleaned Yun cheeks that had barbeque sauce “Thanks” Yuna said and took another bite making her cheeks dirty again and some sauce spill on her shirt.
“What are you a baby? Do I have to make a bib for you?” Chanyeol started to take some napkins and placed them over her shirt, so she doesn’t dirty herself anymore. Yuna missed American food when she got to Korea it was nonstop kimchi and Korean food. “You know if you eat food like this every day you will become fat,” Chanyeol said making Yuna put down her sandwich and slap the back of Chanyeol's head.
“And what if I become fat, you will still love me” Yuna pointed at Chanyeol. Yuna smiled and pecked Chanyeol cheek “Plus, I always ate like this remember?” Yuna said, and Chanyeol nodded. He remembers when they were young Yuna always eating so fast and then stealing from his plate.
After Chanyeol and Yuna were done eating their lunch, both relax as they lookout in the scenery. Yuna leaned on Chanyeol's shoulder while Chanyeol had his arm wrapped around Yuna's body. “Do you think mom and dad are going to allow me to drive again?” Yuna asked knowing that Chanyeol was still sensitive to talk about her driving.
“I don’t Yuna, I know it was only an accident. We thought we lost you, and it still scares us today that it may happen again” Chanyeol said, however, Yuna was not happy at all with the answer. “Look I will speak to mom and dad, maybe we can take it slow,” Chanyeol said and Yuna nodded. “So tell me about your classmates and who do you sit next to?” Yuna pinched Chanyeol's cheeks.
“Umm let’s see Korean student sure do whisper and gossip a lot, and I sit next to Kim Jongin,” Yuna said.
Chanyeol was surprised to hear that Yuna was in Jongin's class and that she is sitting next to Jongin. Chanyeol remembers Sora once occupied that seat. "Jongin! and he let you sit next to him?” Chanyeol sound so surprise.
“Yeah, but the thing is he kept on staring at me. The weirdest part is when he fixes my hair for me” Yuna said but instead of looking disgusted she was blushing and smiling. “Jongin people kept talking about him behind his back why that is?” Yuna asked she wanted to know more about Jongin.
“Yuna, Jongin had a girlfriend who broke his heart. Jongin has been slump and has this image of a bad boy because his girlfriend left the school. But he is a sweet guy and the only reason she left him for another man in China. This guy is like us rich, and Jongin is not like us, but he is loyal and romantic” Chanyeol said.
Yuna blushes and bites her lip, she looks up at Chanyeol “So you're telling me to date the guy aren’t you” Yuna said, and her smile became like an eye smile.
Chanyeol locked Yuna's head in his arms and messed her hair up “I didn’t say to date the guy just to be aware of his attitude and everything. Jongin has been through a lot, and I don’t want to see either of you guys get hurt” Chanyeol said. Yuna was trying to get out of Chanyeol lock when Jongin interrupts them.
After searching in the garden and Chanyeol classroom, Jongin goes to the rooftop and see’s Yuna in Chanyeol arms. Jongin decides to play it cool and casually walk up Chanyeol “Hey! There you are, man, I was looking for you” Jongin plays it cool.
“Oh, hey we were just talking about you,” Chanyeol said and Jongin clenches his teeth. He doesn’t know why he would feel so jealous of just meeting this girl. Jongin saw Yuna smile, and it was like his whole world light up in front of him. That smile did not remind him at all of Sora, her smile was like she was hiding something. Yuna's smile was as if it was made of cotton candy clouds and purely innocent.
“Oh really, well I hope it is all good” Jongin said and sat next to Yuna. Yuna breaks away from Chanyeol and sits up properly. “Hey,” Jongin said to Yuna making her bite her lip and nod.
“You know my sister Yuna right,” Chanyeol said making Jongin look at Yuna and Chanyeol.
“S-sister” Jongin stutter “But you guys look nothing alike” Jongin was utterly confused and speechless. However, a big load was off his chest. He thought he had to steal Yuna away from Chanyeol, even the thought of it sound very selfish.
“Yeah, we are step-siblings” Yuna smiled which made Jongin automatically smile as well. Chanyeol notices the changes in Jongin behavior with Yuna. He has not seen Jongin this happy since he first met Sora. Chanyeol decided to leave the two to talk for the rest of the lunch.
“I have to go to the washroom,” Chanyeol said and got up from the floor. Yuna reaches out for him, but he left so fast. Yuna looks back at Jongin and instantly bites her lip trying not to look at Jongin eyes.
“Sorry about what happened in class,” Jongin said trying to break the silence. Yuna nodded and look away “You know you are very pretty, you have a Korean name but you look very American,” Jongin said. Yuna brought knees to her chest and hug them tightly “Can you say something” Jongin said. “Tsk” Jongin was getting frustrated with Yuna mute.
The bell rings and Yuna stood up and collect the garbage. However, Jongin takes it out of her hands. Yuna smiled “Thanks” Jongin is happy he can hear her voice again. However, it saddens him that Yuna goes off to class not waiting for him. When he gets to class, the teacher scolds him for being late and gives him detention. Jongin got pissed at just walk to his seat with his hands in his pockets. Yuna notices his cold behavior and sighs “Sorry” Yuna said but Jongin plugs his headphones and decides to ignore the world at the moment.
Yuna felt bad, she knew it was her fault Jongin was late and that he got detention because of it. Yuna decided it was only fair that she got detention, so she texted her mother. Yuna's phone goes off making everyone look at her, and the teacher scolds Yuna and gives her detention as well. Jongin looks at Yuna a bit confused, but she just smiled and winked at Jongin. Instantly Jongin was happy his heart beat faster and his cheeks felt like it was burning. For the first time, Jongin could not wait to spend detention with Yuna.
When Detention came, Yuna and Jongin sat silently in the class alone. The teacher gave them a lecture on cell phones in class and being tardy. Of course, both of them just ignored the teacher's words. When the teacher left, Jongin finally had a chance to talk to Yuna again. “So why did you let your phone off in class?” Jongin asks.
“It was only fair since you got detention because of me. I don’t like being guilty and causing other people pain” Yuna said. Jongin smile and once again fixes her hair for her “Why you always touch my hair?” Yuna asked.
“Because it is so beautiful on you. Now that I touch it, all I want is to put my hands through it,” Jongin said as he played with her hair.
“That is very creepy Jongin,” Yuna said and Jongin laughed.
“Sorry, I guess I haven’t fallen for someone like this since-“ Jongin stops as he remembers her face, soft lips, and her long black hair. Jongin turns around and looks towards the window. The room was silent again, Yuna kept biting on her lips trying to figure out what she should say to Jongin, but nothing came up.
The teacher comes back and dismisses them. Yuna waited outside hoping her brother will pick her up. However, he was not picking up her phone calls. Jongin pulls over in his car; Yuna was amazed by what an old car it is to be in this good condition. Yuna loved cars; she was a race car driver. “Do you need a ride?” Jongin asks. Yuna nodded and got into the passenger side. Jongin speeds off into Chanyeol home direction, a place that he felt he never belongs.