The Quiz

She's a Fool ... Now What?

Dara wasn’t able to control herself. She burst out from laughter in front of Jiyong. She actually found him funny when his face reddened after she said that he was jealous of Daesung.

“What’s funny?” His face was serious but she doesn’t care about it.

“You are funny, oppa.”

“You’re crazy then.” He fired back. “Aren’t you going home or I‘ll drag you from here?”

“You’re exaggerating there. I was just teasing you.” She’s still smiling.

“Then stop it now, it isn’t funny!”

“Seriously, oppa … Were you mad at us?” Dara asked.

Jiyong took a deep breath then looked at her in the eyes. He intently stared at it. Dara was conscious about it so she looked away quickly. Then she felt his hands on her arms. Her eyes slowly drifted to his grip only to realize that she was being dragged by him.

“W—w-hat are you doing oppa?”

“I’m dragging you home. You’re just pissing me off. You should be studying right now and not barging into someone’s house at this hour.”

“I’m not barging in! We’re friends … right.”

“No we’re not! You’re just claiming it. And besides, I’m just trying to help. Don’t misinterpret it.”

“You’re being mean to me again, oppa. It was just days ago when you said that you missed me and now … you’re—”

“Yes I do … but it doesn’t mean we’re okay.”

Dara felt bad about what Jiyong told her. No matter how she tried to please him and get close to him, he didn’t even appreciate it. Her smile faded and just quietly went back to their house.

He got a pen and took out her notes. She scanned her books and focused her attention on it. They do have an upcoming exam so she needed to study. Though she’s good in Math, it still doesn’t count. She in other subjects especially in those that needed comprehension.

The hands of the clock seemed to move fast. She didn’t notice that it was already past midnight. Apparently, she doesn’t feel sleepy at all. She wanted to score high in the exam but she found it hard to absorb the things that were written in the books. She cursed herself for that.

The lights were still on when she woke up in the morning. She was able to sleep in her study table. Her back ached making her to stretch and did some stretching. After that, she readied herself. She needed to go to school early.

She left ahead of Jiyong. She didn’t wait for him anymore; instead she rode on her father’s car. Dara arrived at school with a heavy heart. What Jiyong told her last night made her think of starting to act independently, not relying on other people and to NOT misinterpret the things that people do especially him.

“Good morning, Dara!” She was greeted by Chaerin. She too came early in school.

“Hi, how are you? Are you ready for the exams?” She inquired.

“A little … I didn’t study hard last night. I slept early. How about you?”

“I did but it’s hard to absorb everything.”

“Don’t worry. It’ll be over soon.” Chaerin said.

One by one, their classmates came. The empty seats started to be occupied. Seungri then went in with heavy breathes. He was panting like he dashed the school gate up to their classroom.

“Hi, SEungri! What happened to you?” Dara asked him.

Seungri who was now standing in front of her, took a deep breathe. “I thought I’m late.”

Dara laughed. “You’re kidding it’s still early.”

He glanced at his wrist watch then looked back at her. “What? It says 7:45 here.”

“You must have set it in advance. It’s only 6:45 am.”

“Are you sure?” He asked in assurance.

Chaerin who was just at the side can’t help but interfered. “Gaah! Is it really that hard for you believe others?”

Seungri glanced at Dara’s side. He didn’t notice Chaerin when he came or maybe he was just preoccupied of him being late. He wanted to reason himself out but he chose to just keep quiet. The tension between them was still there and he doesn’t want to heat it more up.

At exactly 7 o’clock, Daesung who was consistent of being late in the class came. Their classmates found it unusual.

“Good morning, classmates!” He greeted them cheerfully upon entering. He settled on the vacant seat at the back of Dara. “Hi Dara. Hi Chaerin. Hi Seung Hyun.” He even greeted his seatmates one by one.

“You were early today.” Chaerin commented.

“Oh …” He lightly scratched his head. “My dad scolded me last night. Though it’s hard but I tried. It’s weird, right? ”

“Weird.” They agreed in unison.

Few minutes before the start of the quiz, Jiyong hasn’t arrived yet. Dara glanced at his vacant seat then turned her eyes outside. Supposedly, he’s already there before Mr. Jang arrives. Then the bell rang which means the exam is going to start in a few moments.

 “Good morning, class. Are you ready for the exams?”

The whole class went quiet. Everyone was anticipating about it. It was the day of the exams so everyone was prepared, well aside from those who weren’t used to study.

Mr. Jang has just started distributing the test questionnaires when Jiyong entered, rushing. His eyes darted on Dara’s direction with a glare. That didn’t escape from her gape eventually. His eyes were still on hers while he was closing the distance to his chair.

His seat was just beside her. His burning stares made her uneasy. Jiyong must have waited her causing him to arrive late. For the meantime, neither of them talked. He immediately answered the test papers. Dara who was a bit guilty about what she did, looked down on the questionnaire and started to crack her brain up.

Not long after, Jiyong passed his paper then went out of the room. He finished his exam immediately. Dara on the other hand was still stuck in the middle, as well as Chaerin. Daesung was sweating. He hadn’t written anything yet on his paper.

“Dara …” Daesung called her in a whisper like voice. The teacher wasn’t looking at them so she was able to turn her head.

“Are you done?” She asked back. He showed his blank paper to her.

“You haven’t started anything?”

“I don’t know what to write in here.”

“I don’t know either.” She seconded.

Daesung looked at her questionnaire. “Waah, you answered some of them. Oh come on, share that.”

While Mr. Jang was busy piling the papers on his desk, Daesung took advantage of the situation. He copied everything that was written on Dara’s paper, well except for her name. In a matter of seconds, he was done like he got an x-ray vision.

“Time’s up! Pass your papers.” The teacher called out.

Dae showed his wide smile to Dara after passing his paper. The girl smiled at him too.

Everyone was exhausted after that. At break time, they went to the cafeteria to grab something to fill their stomach.

Jiyong was nowhere to be found then. Dara scanned her eyes around but she didn’t see him right after he went out of the room. Her friends noticed his absence too.

“Where’s Jiyong?” Seungri asked.

“I don’t know.” Dara answered.

“You didn’t arrive together this morning. Are you two in a war?” Chaerin teased.

“No.” She replied shortly.

“LQ?”

“Duh, we’re not lovers.” That gained laughter from her friends.

**********

It’s been like an hour but Jiyong didn’t show up. His friends got worried about him. They tried to call him but he’s not picking his phone up. Unknown to them, he went home already. After the exam, he asked permission from Mr. Jang because his little brother Seung Ho was sick. He was obliged to take care of his brother. Mr. and Mrs. Kwon left early that morning to attend some important matter.

Seung Ho started to feel feverish that morning when the time Jiyong checked on him in his room. Mr. Jang is going to give examination that day and he got no choice but to take it. At first he battled with his mind if he should go to school. Later, he decided to leave and let their housemaid attend to his little brother while he’s in school. Luckily, the questions were easy so he was able to finish his test quickly. He didn’t even wait for the bell. He passed his paper then talked to Mr. Jang.

Upon arriving home, he turned straight to Seung Ho’s room. He found him sleeping soundly. He touched his forehead and he was relieved when his fever had died down a little. While he was asleep, he went and changed from his school uniform. When he came back, he was already awake.

“You’re awake. How are you feeling?” He asked him in a gentle voice.

“I’m dizzy, hyung.”

“Oh, don’t move. I’ll just go get a glass of water.” The little boy nodded at him and just stayed in his position.

Jiyong went to the kitchen and grabbed a bowl of corn soup. He poured lukewarm water into the glass then placed it all in a tray. When everything was set, he went back to Seung Ho.

“You didn’t move. That’s my boy.” He complimented him. He placed the food on the table then helped his little brother to get up.

“Here, you need to eat this so that you’ll be strong again.” Jiyong started to feed him. Without any hesitation, Seung Ho opened his mouth. Then they started chatting.

They were close to each other. Jiyong isn’t the one who just ignores his little brother though he got him annoyed sometimes. He’s a sweet brother and a loving son.

“Hyung, where’s Dara noona?” SEung Ho asked him out of nowhere. As much as he doesn’t want her to be included in the topic, he wasn’t able to escape.

“Oh, she’s still in school.” he replied.

“Ah … I’m full already.”

“Oh that’s good. Here … drink this.”