Chapter 1

Running Out of Stars

January, 2045

Phoenix’s POV

          It was colder than usual. Much colder. The wind screamed through the broken windows, chilling us to the bone. No matter how much we pulled our rags of clothing around ourselves, we couldn’t find warmth. We were hungry. The last time we ate was 2 days ago. I haven’t seem meat in months.

          I shivered as I leaned closer to my brother, Chanyeol. I could hear his teeth chattering as he wrapped his arms around me. I glanced around. Everyone was doing the same thing. Girls being protected from the cold by the boys. The sun was setting. Night was drawing near, and with it, more cold.

          Suddenly, the door to the warehouse flew open. Snow and wind burst through and I buried my face into Chanyeol’s chest. The door was forced shut and everyone looked up at the source of the commotion. Kris stood in the doorway. We looked at him with hopeful eyes, but he just shook his head in response. A girl whimpered. No food tonight. I watched as Kris slowly made his way through the room. He took off his jacket, we only had three, and put it around the crying girl.

                   “It’ll be ok. I’ll find something tomorrow.” He sat next to her and joined Kai in keeping her warm.

          I took the thin sheet from around me and used part of it to cover Channie.

                   “No. Keep it all. I don’t want you to be cold.”

          I insisted, “You’ll freeze. Please share it with me.” My voice was barely more than a whisper.

          His breath momentarily warmed my nose as he sighed. He tucked the corner over his shoulder and pulled me closer. I heard him talking to his best friend, Baekhyun, but I was too cold to listen. Baekhyun’s arms also found their way around me during their conversation. His body was surprisingly warm.

          I watched Xiumin add more logs to the fire then quickly retreat to his brother, Suho. Poor Xiumin. Even though he was one of the oldest, he was by far the smallest. He shivered against Suho as he brought his purple fingers around his red nose and colourless lips. I watched him from afar until he looked my way. Our eye contact only lasted for about a second but it was enough to send butterflies all through me. I quickly looked away soon fell asleep against my brother with Xiumin on my mind.