Chapter 2

Nebulous

The buzzing sound of the students' chatters was enough for Nayoung to grab her things and headed towards the school's main entrance. A few steps inside the lobby, she was greeted by two male students who apparently were freshmen as they called her noona. She nodded at them before she made her way to the stairs and straight to her locker.

 

As she passed by, a few more students acknowledged her and she did likewise.

 

This is one of the things she liked from her school. All the students were friendly and there was barely any seniority. If it were up to her, she would place this school as the best in South Korea.

 

After she got all her things from her locker, she walked a few meters to enter her class. Some of her classmates greeted her at the same time and she greeted them back cheerfully. One of them was Ahn Sooyoung, her best friend. "Nayoung-ah! I missed you, sunflower!" Sooyoung got up from her seat to tackle Nayoung in a bear hug.

 

"Sooyoung! I told you to stop giving me pet names!" Nayoung whined, irritated.

 

Sooyoung released her from her embrace and scowled, "It was a joke, dumb."

 

"Well, it's not funny, frog." Nayoung shrugged and moved to her seat.

 

"Frog? How dare you compared me to an anim— Yah, Han Nayoung! What do you think you're doing?" Sooyoung shouted when she saw Nayoung busy rummaging her backpack.

 

"Where do you keep it, Soo?" Nayoung asked without looking up at Sooyoung, still moving her hands inside the bag.

 

"Keep what, you ." Sooyoung angrily snatched her bag and glared at her.

 

"You said you brought our photos that you have printed. I want to see it," Nayoung whined while extending her hands to the front and made clasp-unclasp moves like a baby would.

 

"Ew, aegyo doesn't suit you, Young. You look ugly." Sooyoung lied. She wished she could do aegyo like Nayoung. It was the cutest thing she ever saw.

 

Nayoung pouted and Sooyoung tried her best to ignore her friend before she took out what Nayoung had been searching for. "It's right here, babo. Happy?"

 

The smile on Nayoung's face was so glorious it was hard for Sooyoung to stop her own smile from showing. They both excitedly examined the photos they took on last summer vacation until the bell rang loudly much to their annoyance. Sooyoung stacked the photos and placed them back inside an envelope. She hurriedly rotated her body to the front when she heard the teacher came in.

 

"Good morning, class. How was your holiday? I'm sure it was fun, but it was more fun to get to school and study, right?" The woman laughed when she heard her students groaned and denied.

 

"Okay, I guess the study part wasn't fun. But, it is fun if you have a new classmate, don't you think?" Almost immediately, the atmosphere in the class changed. All of them were curious, especially the girls, if this new classmate was a catch or not. Those girls included Sooyoung who already turned around on her seat to ask Nayoung, "Do you know about this, Young? Who is it? Is it a guy?"

 

Nayoung was about to answer her questions when her teacher called out to the door, "Jongin, you may come in."

 

The class turned dead quiet, anticipating the figure who were about to come in. Clad in the same clothings like the other boys in the class, Kim Jongin walked in with a confidence that anyone wouldn't miss even in a crowded place. He gave a smile at the teacher who gestured him to stand in the middle and introduce himself.

 

"Hello, everyone. I'm Jongin. Kim Jongin. I moved from Seoul a couple weeks ago. Please take care of me. Thank you." Jongin ended his introduction with a slight bow. Nayoung smiled quietly when she heard the exact same things the boy told her earlier in the field.

 

"Jongin, you may take a seat behind Ms. Han. Ms. Han, would you please raise your hand?" The teacher exclaimed. Hearing her last name being called, Nayoung was dumbfounded.

 

After a few seconds of silence, Sooyoung slightly turned around to cleared her thoat at a dazed Nayoung behind her. Nayoung blankly stared at Sooyoung who nodded her head towards the teacher urgently. She quickly regained her focus and shoot her hand up in the air, "Oh! Yes! It's me. I'm here."

 

In the front of the class, Jongin saw her surprised face and suppressed his chuckles. He kept his eyes on her while he strode to his appointed seat. Nayoung noticed his mischievous face and managed to throw a glare at him when he was near. The second he sat behind her, Nayoung could hear him quietly laughed. She grew both irritated and embarassed of this. She was about to scowl at him when she heard him spoke quietly, "Nice to meet you again, Ms. Han."

 

 

****

 

 

After two boring classes, it was time for recess. Nayoung yawned in her seat and she planned to sleep the entire break time. On the other hand, Jongin who had been observing her constant yawning throughout the lessons, planned to stick around her wherever she would go. He barely knew anyone here, except her.

 

Sooyoung excitedly turned around on her seat, only to met the handsome face of Jongin. The face she thought she was going to stare at, was currently laid on top of the folded arms of Nayoung in her desk. Sooyoung awkwardly smiled at Jongin, who returned her a dashing smile.

 

Jongin suddenly got an idea. He opened his mouth to ask her, "Excuse me, do you mind telling me the name of this girl?" He pointed his finger at Nayoung.

 

The said girl who apparently wasn't sleeping bolted her head upwards and turned around to face Jongin, "Yah."

 

Jongin feigned innocence, "What? I'm trying to find out your name, like you said I would."

 

Nayoung wanted to scowl at him, but when she looked into those opulent eyes, she quieted down. She almost laughed when she thought his eyes were like love. There wasn't enough words to describe it.

 

When Jongin saw her closed and stared into his eyes, he felt something. He thought this moment he shared with her was clearly something. But he wasn't sure what that thing is. It was nebulous.

 

"Eh, Nayoung-ah." Sooyoung called her. It was faint, but it was enough for the boy and girl to broke their gazes. Nayoung turned around to face Sooyoung who was already standing, "Yes, Soo?"

 

"I'm heading to the cafetaria first. You both seem to know each other so I guess it should be fine if I leave you, right? Or do you want to go together, Young?" Sooyoung asked, uncertain.

 

"I'm not really hungry, Soo. You can go without me."

 

Sooyoung suddenly turned bright and swiftly turned around to leave not before she shouted, "Of course. Have fun you two!"

 

"Yah! Don't shout around!" Nayoung shouted, annoyed.

 

Once again, Jongin found himself laughing at her. Nayoung found his laugh lovely with how wrinkles appeared on both ends of his eyes and perfect rows of pearly whites were shown. She changed her mind though when she realized he was laughing because of her.

 

"Why are you laughing?" She frowned.

 

Jongin calmed himself first before answering, "You told her to not shout by shouting. It was so funny." Jongin chuckled.

 

"Whatever."

 

"Oh, and I like your name, Han Nayoung. Now I know what to greet you every morning."