Chapter 1

Nebulous

Nayoung quietly walked in the deserted street. It was still fifteen minutes before the usual time people would be awaken by their alarm. She always loved times like this. She loved to have so much space for herself, so much air for her to breathe.

 

It felt like she owned the world for only herself to live.

 

All those thoughts faded away when she looked ahead towards a larger and busier street. She heaved a sigh and looked up to see the sun started to rise from the horizon. This is what she loved most from being awake early in the morning. She appreciated the few moments she got to see the beautiful shape of the sun before she had to look away from the brightness.

 

 

When she arrived at her school, the gate was still closed. She pushed it open and hearing the metal moved, the security inside the post greeted, "Oh, it's you, Nayoung. Good morning."

 

Nayoung smiled brightly, "Good morning, ahjussi. I'm the first, right?"

 

The security mischievously shook his head, "Not today, Nayoung. Some boy came in first about 20 minutes ago? He's a new student, I guess. I've never seen him before." He scratched his head.

 

Perplexed, Nayoung scrunched her eyebrows together, "Really? You didn't ask his name, ahjussi?"

 

"I didn't hear him when he got in. I... was sleeping, but I could... smelled him so I woke up." The security explained and feeling embarassed because Nayoung laughed at his statement.

 

"Ahjussi, that's creepy, though."

 

"No! That's not what I mean, Nayoung. He brought some food that's why I can smelled him."

 

Nayoung laughed once again at the older man's denial. "I believe you, ahjussi. I'm going inside then. Bye, ahjussi."

 

"Have a nice day, Nayoung-ah," the security waved at her.

 

 

Since she was a freshman, Nayoung would always came to the school an hour earlier than her schoolmates. She would wandered around the school to find a perfect setting to write.

 

Her interest in writing came from her mother. Her father often said, when the both of them had been too engrossed with their own stories, he felt like he lived in the house all by himself. And now, when there was only her and her father living in the house, she rarely writes at home. She didn't want her father to feel lonely, therefore, she decided to write anywhere other than home.

 

She used to change places everyday, searching for that one spot. Until one autumn day, she decided to venture along the school's soccer field. The school's soccer team was one of the best in town, so they frequently held matches or even a league on the field. When she sat at the spectator seat, she could feel the euphoria of watching a game and it set her writing spirit on fire.

 

Whenever she came to the soccer field this time of the day, it would be empty and peaceful. Hence, when she heard sounds of footsteps or more likely someone whose running, she was taken aback. Far across the field, she saw a boy clothed with the school's tracksuit with his back facing her, gulping some water from a bottle.

 

Nayoung was wonderstruck.

 

She could felt thousands and millions of thoughts flashed in her brain, but she was sure of one thing. He was enticing. His presence alone without having to see his face, was enough for her heart to pulsate like there was no tomorrow.

 

Dazed, Nayoung slowly made her way towards one of the seat on the higher row while praying for him to overlook her. Fate brushed aside her wish as the boy noticed her presence while she was concentrating herself to climb the steps. 

 

When she turned to walk to a seat, she took a glance at the boy to see him packing his stuff. She sighed in relief and proceeded to put her bottom on the seat only to looked up at his mesmerizing eyes.

 

Even from a distant, she could noticed the glistening sweat on his slightly tanned skin and black fringe. She could pictured him as a young brave knight in a royal fiction. Though her thoughts didn't stay for long as he had made his way across the field to approach her.

 

Acknowledging this, she tried to appear busy by rummaging her backpack to find her writing equipments. When she found them, she took a quick glance at the boy halfway across the field who was diligently observing her moves. Feeling her wild heartbeats, she clumsily opened her book and took a couple of deep breaths quietly. In a few moment, she had calmed her beating heart and brought herself to writing mode.

 

 

When he arrived on the front row of the seats, Jongin noticed the girl was already absorbed in her book, writing. He proceeded to place his bag on one of the seat quietly, afraid to ruin her concentration. He looked up and managed a small smile when he saw her right hand scribbled swiftly, undisturbed. He stood there for a minute, watching the girl's long hair covered her face and a breeze slightly swayed them playfully.

 

Nayoung wasn't aware how long she had been too focused on her writing, before she heard sounds of someone running once again. She looked up to see the boy circled the running track. Her mood to write subsided so she closed the book on her lap and continued to observe him. She noticed how strong his legs' muscles looked and wondered what kind of sports did he play.

 

 

Jongin finished another round and decided that it was enough for today. He slowed down towards his bag, fished a towel, buried his face on it, and sprawled himself on the ground. When he took the towel away from his face and turned his head to see the girl, he was surprised to saw her already staring at him. They held their gazes for a few minutes before Jongin broke it first to pushed himself up.

 

 

Nayoung directed her gaze to the front where a row of pine trees took place. She saw the boy ascended the steps from her peripheral vision. Not long, she could smell something delicious and when the boy placed his bag beside hers she turned, "Smells wonderful."

 

The boy startled to hear her voice. He thought he had heard his mother spoke to him. Her voice was as poised and graceful as his mother's. He kept his eyes on her while he moved to sit next to his bag. "I smelled like sweats, though."

 

Nayoung chuckled, "I wasn't talking about you."

 

Jongin felt himself naturally laughed along with the girl and zipped open his bag. He pulled out a tupperware and revealed the source of the delightful smell, "Want some?"

 

"Oh, no. I had the same meal at home." Nayoung chuckled as the memory of her savoring her father's kimchi fried rice like a beast earlier flashed by, "Thank you, though. You should eat when it's still hot."

 

Jongin shrugged his shoulders and turned his body to the front. He hungrily shoved the food into his mouth. Nayoung let him eat while she went back to her writing. In a few minutes, he emptied the container and placed it back inside his bag.

 

When he turned to see the girl, he was met with locks of raven hair. "What are you writing?"

 

Nayoung heard his question and when she turned she noticed his eyes was directed at her book. She quietly flipped close the cover and looked into his eyes, "Just some things you don't want to know."

 

Jongin chuckled, "Being secretive, are we?"

 

He proceeded to held his hand towards her, "I'm Jongin. Kim Jongin. I moved from Seoul a couple weeks ago."

 

She hesitantly moved her hand to clasp his. His warm hand surprised her as she could felt her own hands turned into ice. She brightly smiled, "Welcome to Suwon, Kim Jongin."

 

Jongin was concerned when he felt her cold hand, so he held onto it a little longer, attempted to warm her up. "You're not going to tell me your name?"

 

"You'll find out," Nayoung briskly pulled her hand when she realized Jongin wouldn't let go of her hand and managed a slight blush.

 

Jongin chuckled amusedly, "So you are a secretive girl."

 

They grew quiet and once again held their gazes towards each others. This time, Nayoung broke it first and Jongin felt his lips curled up to a smile. He zipped up his bag, rested it on his shoulder, and got up to his feet. "Well then, I guess I'll see you around, schoolmate."

 

Her eyes caught the boyish grin on Jongin's face before he turned around to leave. She followed his figure until he was out of her sight before she sighed and absentmindedly murmured, "Kim Jongin."