Chapter 5

Through Everything

‘’Wait, you are what?!’’ Hyejin exclaimed very loudly in the cafeteria, in which Wheein had to shhhh her. It was Wednesday, and Hyejin and Wheein was back from their two-day field trip. It was only two days until the weekend, even though she still didn’t know which day she was sleeping over at Byul-yi’s yet, she had to tell her other two good friends. It was just something she had to do, knowing how fascinated they had gotten by the friendship that had blossomed between these two girls. They both thought that after the guide-week, Byul-yi would never talk to Yongsun again, but it was opposite. They were like magnets, two differences always together and hard to tear apart. Moreover, it was clear that people were jealous. Everyone looked at Yongsun with dirty looks, as if she was filth under their shoes, bubblegum they had stepped on. How dare she take away their beautiful Byul-yi, right? Wheein and Hyejin had also heard the rumors. One of their classmates even asked them why they would hang out with ‘’Half breed-mutt’’ like her. Wheein had to hold back Hyejin so she wouldn’t punch that girl in the face. Both Hyejin and Wheein, even though they were younger, had become very protective over their unnie. They didn’t want her to get hurt.

‘’You know you are gonna get all her little minions after you? You are already hated at this school because you are friends with her, are you trying to dig your own grave?’’ Hyejin says, with her eyebrows raised. Wheein shhh’d her once again.

‘’Don’t be so negative about it! And of course, why wouldn’t Byul-yi want to invite Yongsun over? She is so lovable, everyone likes her after the first time they talk to her!’’ Wheein tries to say to bring up the mood, and make Hyejin calm down a bit. She is way too overprotective for her own good.

‘’Don’t worry, Hwasa-‘’ Yongsun says, using her ‘American name’ ‘’- Solar unnie can take care of herself’’ she finishes and winks at her. In return, she just gets a tongue sticking out in her direction.

‘’What are you even gonna be doing? Making out?’’ Hyejin teased Yongsun, in which Yongsun leaned over and flicked the maknae’s forehead with her fingers. Of course, both her friends had noticed how touchy they were with each other and had started joking around about them being secret lover or something weird like that. Little did they know about the actual feelings blossoming between the girls.

‘’Yes, totally, and then we will make babies. On Monday we are both pregnant’’ Yongsun said, obviously joking, and Hyejin pretended as if she was going to throw up in response. Wheein was just holding her hands over , trying really hard not to laugh too loudly. Yongsun just smiled a bit, before she continued eating her food, which she had gotten more and more used to. It didn’t gross her out as much as it did at first.

When these three weirdos was together for the short times every day, time flew by so quickly, because they were having fun. They could talk about everything and nothing, and it wouldn’t get awkward. Language problems occurred rarely, and if it was stuff Yongsun didn’t understand, Wheein would explain them to her in English, as she was taking English 2 class and had somewhat over basic knowledge in the language. Well, Hyejin was taking English 2 as well, but her report card showed quite a different result in the language compared to Wheein. ‘’Kakao!’’ her phone suddenly pinged.

‘’Oh, talking about the sun and it starts shining.’’ Wheein said with a smile on her face, hinting to her getting a message from Byul-yi. ‘’Or should I say Moon, and the moon starts rising’’ Yongsun picked up the phone, but the message she got didn’t match the ID. This was Byul-yi’s ID, but she wouldn’t write anything like this? She quickly opened the phone, to read the full message. The two younger ones could see that something was wrong, because Yongsun’s face didn’t look as happy as it usually would when she got a message from the black-haired girl, even though Yongsun of course wasn’t aware of that change her face used to get when she actually got a message from Byul-yi. It would almost light up, as Wheein would say. Yongsun read the message over and over, couldn’t really understand it.

Moonstar(12:55): You seriously need to stay away from Byul-yi. She is NOT interested, and you being desperate is just pathetic to look at. She is just to kind to say anything. Go back to America, you lesbian mutt.

Yongsun knew this wasn’t Byul-yi. It had to be one of her friends. She knew people talked bad about her, but honestly, she didn’t know it was this bad. She quietly bit her lower lip, trying to not cry. She wouldn’t cry, she wouldn’t cry, she would ignore them and don’t care about the stupid stuff they said, she wouldn’t cry. Hyejin and Wheein got seriously worried, and couldn’t bear looking at Yongsun like this, just staring at her phone. So Hyejin quickly and unexpected took Yongsun’s phone and read the message, before Yongsun could even react.

‘’Wow, daebak… how dare they..’’ she whispered with a hint of anger in her voice and was silent for a couple of minutes. Wheein peeked at Yongsun’s phone, before quickly looking at Yongsun.

‘’Omo, unnie. Don’t care, they are just stupid! We know that’s not how Byul-yi thinks of you at all, she adores you! You guys are such good friends, so close after such a short time, they are just jealous!’’ Wheein hurried to say to Yongsun. The American just shook her head a bit and took her phone, before turning it completely off and putting it in her pocket.

‘’I know, I know. It was probably just someone that took Byul-yi’s phone.’’ Yongsun says and is back to her normal. The month she had been going to school here rumors about her was already everywhere, so she played it off nice. Both Hyejin and Wheein seemed to believe here, relaxing a bit again, even though Hyejin still looked a bit tense, before giving Yongsun smiles. Nevertheless, the American had to admit, it still hurt a bit inside. Someone had taken their time to take Byul-yi’s phone, go to her Kakao and then write messages to her. Then the school bell rang, indicating that lunch was over. Every single table started moving and Yongsun said her goodbye’s to Hyejin and started making her way to her classroom.

She had just decided that she would meet Byul-yi in the classroom after class, since it was a trouble looking for each other in the ocean of people. It was quite the walk to her history classroom, which is what subject she was having now. Since the school was so big, it would take her about six minutes getting there.

Thoughts kept running through her head, and the message she got earlier couldn’t get out of it either. She know she shouldn’t let it get to her, but ever since the first day after that guide week, that Monday when Byul-yi and Yongsun still hanged out together, people started saying bad stuff about her. Never when Byul-yi was around, of course, and never when Byul-yi heard. However, they had their way to make sure Yongsun would know she wasn’t liked. She had heard everything by now: mutt, , desperate, lesbian, pathetic, ugly, unwanted, yeah, you name it. Even though it hurt her, she chose not to let it get to her too much. It was just empty words after all, words teens that felt less secure about themselves used to bring down people that did indeed feel secure and confident. This kept running through Yongsun’s head repeatedly, she kept reminding herself. ‘’You are too good for them, don’t sink down to their level, don’t sink down to their level’’ she thought, getting the dirty looks from certain people in the hallway. Of course, not everyone looked down upon her. She had people come up to her, speak out their minds about how they didn’t agree with any of the things being said. But it was Byul-yi’s ‘’followers’’, ‘’minions’’ , ‘’crushes’’, yeah, you know, those type of people, that talked badly about her. Moreover, no matter how much she told herself it didn’t face it, it kind of still did. It still kind of hurt.

Yongsun had reached the classroom, so she shook her head to get rid of all those negative thoughts and opened the door to enter the classroom. Inside it was chaos, as it always was before a teacher could arrive. People were throwing paper planes, eating candy, sitting on the desks, you know how it is. Yongsun looked around her room, looking for Byul-yi. She saw her, but since history was a class with only one level of difficulty, she sat with her friends in the back. Somi, Krystal and Hayoung, if she remember their names correctly. She is also sitting with 10+ boys, all head over heels in love with her. She is laughing and having a good time with them, that’s what it looked like at least, so Yongsun decides not to ruin the fun, and sits down alone at a desk in front of the classroom. It would also cause even more trouble around her if she chose to go over there and take Byul-yi away from them, which is why she choose to just let it go. She would have other opportunities to talk to her anyways. They were staying together for over 24 hours this weekend, so one class without her now wouldn’t matter.

Byul-yi was smiling half-hearted to Hayoung, who just told her about this date she went on with this tall, handsome Japanese guy named whatever-whatever. Honestly, she didn’t really care, after she had become friends with Yongsun, she realized how boring the conversations she had with her old friends really was. All they talked about was boys, shopping, shoes, makeup, celebrities and gossip. Gosh, how much these girls gossiped. The boys around them just told them about sports events and matches they had attended, and the other girls turned red because of their bodies and ‘incredibly HOT faces’. Embarrassing. These conversations were enough for Byul-yi before; they entertained her to a certain level. However, not anymore. The way she talked with Yongsun was so much more interesting, so much more fun, and so much deeper in both silly and serious matters. A sigh escaped , before she looked at Krystal that tried to tell her especially about a story. She didn’t really pay attention; shouldn’t Yongsun be here soon? Class starts in 10 minutes. Her eyes looked around the classroom one more time in the search for Yongsun, before she returned her attention to Krystal. Halfway attention at least. The minutes went by, Krystal continued talking and Byul-yi nodded in agreement sometimes, only paying halfway attention to the story. It was only two minutes until the class started, and Byul-yi allowed herself to look around the classroom one last time. No, she still wasn’t here ye- wait. She recognized that hair, and the backpack. But why did the unnie sit down so far away, not even saying hi? They used to sit together in every class. Byul-yi looked at her for a bit of time, and it seemed like Krystal noticed it, because she coughed loudly.

‘’Hey, Byul, do you wanna sit together-‘’ Krystal started, but didn’t get any longer in the sentence, because Byul-yi got up and smiled at the people she had been sitting with, a fake smile.

‘’I’ll see you guys later, okay?’’ Byul-yi excused herself, continuing smiling. Krystal looked a bit shocked and the shock got even bigger when she saw that Byul-yi was literally ditching them for the loser Yongsun. What? Krystal didn’t understand what Byul-yi saw in her, why she spent so much time with her; she was a weirdo.

Byul-yi couldn’t understand why Yongsun possibly didn’t want to sit with her; they had sat together every single class for the last month? Had she said something that has really hurt her unnie? On the other hand, did she do something that made her uncomfortable? The younger one went through the thousands of things she could have done wrong. Why did she even bother doing that? If Krystal was acting like this, she wouldn’t have thought a single extra thought about it, she would have just let Krystal have her hissy-fit, and then come back when she had calmed down. So why did the thought that she might have made her unnie anger scare her so much?

She reached the desk the American was sitting at and breathed in, and decided to just play it cool. If something were wrong, she would tell her. Unnie is that type of person. Therefore, she sat down next to her, with a cheeky smile on her face.

‘’Yah, unnie, why are you ignoring me? Too much handsomeness for you to handle?’’ Byul-yi started the conversation with, trying to seem as normal as possible.

Yongsun looked up. The girl she had been trying to leave alone with her friends, got the opportunity to pick if she wanted to actually be with her or not, instead of her just forcing herself on her all the time, as everyone said she did, was now standing next to her, pretty as ever. ‘’wait, no! Ahh, Yongsun, you aren’t allowed to think things like that!’’

‘’What about your friends?’’ Yongsun simply replied, ignoring the younger one’s question, before turning around and pointing at her friends, which didn’t look specially happy that Byul-yi just had just abandoned them for the mutt. Yongsun just looked at their ugly glances a bit, before focusing her eyes on Byul-yi again.

‘’Aish, to tell you a secret-‘’ Byul-yi said, before sitting down and putting one arm around her unnie, leaning in closer to her ear, almost so close that her lips nearly touch her ear. ‘’-I like you so much better than them. I would rather just be with you for a week then be with them forever’’ she whispered, before leaning out and blinking at Yongsun. A giggle escaped Yongsun mouth, before she hit the younger one playfully on her arm. She could feel the hate-glances burn in her back, but honestly, she couldn’t care less right now. Right then, the history teacher entered and the class begun.

40 minutes into the class and Yongsun couldn’t take it anymore. The classroom was hot (and no, not because Byul-yi was there, as the younger girl had suggested when Yongsun told her the problem), the air was heavy, the lecture was boring and most importantly of all; she really, really had to pee. Like, she didn’t think she could hold it in any longer. Therefore, she put her hand up.

‘’Excuse me Miss, but do you think I can be excused to the bathroom?’’ Yongsun asked, receiving a little giggle from the girl next to her, which got a kick on the leg as an answer. She was excused and got fifteen minutes, because the bathroom was quite a walk away, so Yongsun hurried up from her seat and out of the classroom, heading in the direction of the bathroom.

The automatic soap dispenser gave her pink soap as she put her hand underneath it, before starting to rub her hands together. Yongsun washed off the soap and dried her hands. It still was seven minutes until she had to return, so it was no hurry for the American, as she silently hummed a song. Her head turned toward the mirror, and she easily fixed some mistakes on her ponytail and removed some mascara that was underneath her eye, before she smiled to herself. ‘’Chin up, keep your confident high’’ she thought to herself, smiled one last time to herself, before heading out the bathroom door.

Suddenly, someone grabbed Yongsun from behind and pushed her violently against the lockers. A huge, tall guy, very masculine, probably in the last year, took a grip on Yongsun’s shirt, and hit her against the locker one more time, before lifting her up after her shirt, brutally.  Intense pain stung through her back and up to her head, as she was slung towards the locker the second time, and all she could think about was the pain, and she started to see black. Two more guys that Yongsun hadn’t seen before, appeared behind the first guy, these two equally as masculine and tall as the first one, holding.. bats? Or were it thick sticks? The pain Yongsun was feeling made her confused as to who these people was, because she couldn’t recognize them.

‘’Now listen here, you little .’’ The first guy, that was holding Yongsun up against the lockers said furiously, before spitting in Yongsun’s face. Yongsun was in shock. What was happening? Was she going to die? She couldn’t breathe. There was pain. She started seeing stars.

‘’You touch that precious Byul-yi one more time, and I say ONE MORE, with your filthy, disgusting lesbian fingers, I will make sure you don’t see another day. Understood, you ings mutt?!’’ he hissed at Yongsun, but she could only hear half of it, the pain was taking over and she couldn’t breathe. It was hard, her tie was chocking her. Tears started coming quickly from Yongsun. She was so terrified, terrified what these guys was going to do. Tears just kept rolling down, she couldn’t stop it. She gasped for air, desperately, while the tears just kept on rolling down. She felt panic come over her.

‘’Answer. Me.’’ The guy whispered with the most intimidating, enraged voice ever, but Yongsun couldn’t. She was so afraid, and she couldn’t breathe properly. Why did I leave America? Why did I befriend Byul-yi? That had lead her up to this. No wait, she knew why she had befriended Byul-yi. But why did someone feel so jealous that it led to this? She gasped for air,  struggling with breathing The guy hold her so hard against the locker, and her back was pressed into a metal piece sticking out and she had spit in her face and she just wanted to run. Run away from these guys and the pain, but she couldn’t. She couldn’t even fight against it, she was just shocked.

‘’Well, then. Don’t answer, you . ’’ He said, before letting her go, and she landed on her feet again, almost falling over, but being able to breathe properly. She gasped in deeply, and then started breathing fast, to get oxygen down her lungs again. She looked up at the guys. They were just going to leave? Don’t hurt her? All types of thoughts run through her head the few seconds she stood there, watching them walk away. She stood there in shock, still panicking, with tear-wet chins, when suddenly, one of the guys turned around, they hadn’t walked far and all she saw was a big fist in her way, before she hit the ground. Everything turned black, she could see stars. There was this intense pain on the left side of her face. Is this how it felt like to die? She could feel herself being dragged on the floor, before something wet hit her face, most likely spit, and everything turned black.

In the classroom, Byul-yi was getting inpatient. She was bored without Yongsun, and she sure did you her good time in the bathroom. She snuck up her phone and send her a message.

Moonstar (14:49): Hey! Lazy girl, what’s taking you so long?

She hit send, and just as she did that, she noticed the last text she had sent to Yongsun. Hmm, weird… She hadn’t texted her today, had she? She looked up and read the message. She almost got a shock. ‘’What?!’’ Byul-yi kept re-reading and re-reading the text. She had never ever sent that. She would never send a message like that.

‘’ You seriously need to stay away from Byul-yi. She is NOT interested, and you being desperate is just pathetic to look at. She is just to kind to say anything. Go back to America, you lesbian mutt.’’ – who the hell had wrote that?

She looked at the time it was sent, around lunch. That was whe- uhm, ohh! It was that time Minho insisted borrowing her phone. Had he..? He couldn’t.. Did he send this text to Yongsun? Why? Why would he have anything against Yongsun? Byul-yi, who hadn’t hear any of the rumors going around about her new very good friend, got very shocked, and also very, very confused. Why would he write something like this? ‘’No wonder she didn’t want to sit with me in class. She probably thought it was me.’’ Byul-yi realizes. It feels like the whole world is falling on her. She had started falling for Yongsun. It wasn’t anything serious yet, but she liked the girl. She liked her company; she liked the way they could talk about anything. The fear of their friendship being over hit Byul-yi hard like a cannonball. She tried to excuse herself as well, so she could find Yongsun and explain the situation, but the teacher wouldn’t let her. So she sat there, in shock, no idea what to do next.

Wheein had a free period, so she was walking around the hallways. It was weird not seeing Hyejin by her side, but Hyejin had to stay in an extra help class for math during this free period, so Wheein was mostly alone most of the time. It didn’t bother her too much, as she wandered the school freely, letting her mind wander. She was heading for the bathroom, as she needed to reapply some powder. She headed the direction to the bathroom and opened the door.

When she opened the door, she almost got a shock.

‘’Omg, Yongsun!’’ she exclaims startled and loudly, before running over to her unnie and kneeling down next to her. What the hell has happened? She had spit all over her face, her hair is all messed up and her left side of her face is all swollen, her eyes have started turning blue and yellow, with blood in the corners as well. The younger girl didn’t know what to do. She had to run for help, but couldn’t just leave her unnie like this.

She quickly took off her school cardigan and lifted the unnie’s head carefully, before placing her cardigan underneath her head. Wheein felt her hand touch something wet, so she looked at it. Red. Blood. Yongsun was bleeding for behind her head. Wheein acted quickly, she got up and got some paper, which she cleaned some of the spit and blood away from her face, before she stood up and started pacing back and forth. ‘’Aaaaahh, what do I do? What do I do?’’ kept going through Wheein’s head. She couldn’t leave her unnie, but she couldn’t just be here without helping her.

Her decision was made. Suddenly, she just ran. Ran out of the bathroom and headed towards the nurses office. In front of her in the hallways, she saw a teacher, so she stopped in the stop.

‘’The girls bathroom on the west side of this floor has a beaten up girl on the floor! Please hurry up and run to her while I get the nurse!’’ she said very quickly to the teacher. You could see the stress in her face, and the teacher took off. Wheein did the same, in the direction towards the nurse’s office.

Byul-yi was really starting to question were Yongsun was. It was 25 minutes since she left, and she had not returned. The teacher’s only comment on it was that she was definitely getting detention. Byul-yi was getting worried. Where was the American?

Suddenly, in the classroom door, a first grader bursted in. Everyone looked at her in confusion. Byul-yi had seen her before; it was one of the girls Yongsun used to eat lunch with. The girl did not look good. She breathed heavily, as if she had been running many places, her face was red. She did not wear her school cardigan and tie very loose, and her white shirt was not tucked into her skirt. In fact, it had red spots on it. Was that blood? No, it couldn’t be? …Could it? No, it couldn’t. The girl looked so worried, Byul-yi couldn’t even find the right words to explain the expression her face was in.

‘’Um, excuse me, we are in the middle of a lesson?’’ our teacher said, looking at the first grader, which appeared very rude to him. She didn’t bow, she didn’t know the door, she didn’t greet them. She just bursted in, like she owned the place. But she obviously had a reason for it, because seconds after she started talking.

‘’Can you come out with me for one minute, it’s about Yongsun.’’ The younger student said quietly, so not a lot of people would hear. She connected her eyes with Byul-yi, and the black-haired girl immediately stood up, hearing the name of her unnie.

‘’Everyone sits down, and wait silently. No sounds!’’ the teacher said strictly, and pointed at everyone, Byul-yi in particular, before he disappeared out the door. Summing immediately began as he left the room, but Byul-yi stayed silent. Yongsun. Blood. Gone. Younger student. Worst-case scenarios came up in Byul-yi’s head. 

_________________________________________

AU: ....don't hurt me! Ahha, I'm sorry for doing this, it's part of building up the story! Also, worried Byullie and hurt Yongsun ~  

New chapter will be up tomorrow, I update everyday with a new chapter ~ 

Feedback and ideas are appriciated!<3