Working with You

Will Our Love Change?

Eunyoung's POV

After these few months of working together, I'm convinced that working at the restaurant is a million times better than working at the head office. The best part was being able to work with Daehyun. Even though we both had individual tasks to do, just knowing Daehyun is around made me feel safe. We could be there for each other if needed. I wondered if Daddy had a chat with Daehyun about keeping an eye on me because I feel like he was overly attentive, not that I'm complaining. His little actions spoke a lot, even I had to keep in mind to treat him as well as he treats me. He would pour glasses of water for me to hydrate myself. When it was time for us to eat, he would be the one taking food for me. I also liked that we could go home together.

There was once when he was overprotective of me until we almost got the cops involved. I'm thankful Daehyun was around. I wouldn't know what to do without him. 

 

Flashback

It was the weekend and we were really busy with the dinner crowd. There were a group of rowdy guys that were waving their hands to get our attention. Daehyun would usually attend to male patrons. Seeing that everyone was busy with their own work, I headed over. 

"Who is the manager? We want to speak to the manager." One of them said when I approached them. 

"The manager is not around, I'm the assistant manager, how can I help?" I asked. 

"I found a strand of hair in my soup. Does this restaurant not care about hygiene?" He asked as he held up a strand. It has never happened before. We have a good reputation. 

"I apologise Sir, I will get you a new one. We will not charge you for this dish." I apologised even though I was feeling a little suspicious about them. 

"Just this dish? Don't you think it's a little insincere? Aren't you afraid we will spread the word that your restaurant doesn't handle food properly? Wait, doesn't this look like your hair?" He asked as he caressed the ends of my hair. I clenched my fist, feeling disgusted. I didn't even touch that dish. They were out to create trouble. That strand did not even look like my hair. His hand then went down my arm. Horrible memories flashed in my mind and I froze on the spot. 

"So how are you going to compensate us?" He asked as he grabbed my wrist. 

"Ha! Look! She's crying!" Another one of his friends pointed out. 

I then felt someone pulling me away from that guy's grip and landed a punch on his face. I looked up and realised Daehyun came. He protectively pulled me behind him. I clenched the back of his shirt tightly, feeling scared. 

"WHAT THE HELL!" He shouted. 

"I'll call the cops!" one of his friend stood up. 

"Go ahead. The CCTV caught whatever you did to her." Daehyun dared him. By then people were already watching us. Our colleagues came over as well. I tugged Daehyun's shirt, hinting him I didn't want to blow up the matter. 

"Let-let's go." His friend pulled him. 

"Pay first." Daehyun stretched his arm out, preventing them from leaving. One of his friends took out a few notes and threw them on the table and they all hurried out. 

"Troublemakers..." one of our colleagues muttered. They dispersed and the rest of the customers went back to eating as though nothing happened, probably not wanting to direct attention towards me. 

Daehyun took my hand and brought me to the staff room. 

"I'm here. It's over. They won't hurt you now. Sorry. I should have noticed the situation sooner." Daehyun consoled me, wiping my tears. 

"In future, leave the male customers to me." He said, hugging me. 

"Everyone else was busy, someone had to attend to them." I replied. 

"Let them wait then. Or call me." He said. I nodded. 

I suddenly felt useless. I can't even handle such a small thing... 

End of flashback 

 

Daehyun's POV

After seeing Young work at the restaurant, I realised how hardworking but also how clumsy she was. She had scalded her hands, had her hips knocked on the sides of tables and spilled drinks occassionally. My heart hurts seeing her suffer in silence because she usually doesn't tell me until I find out about them when I hold her hands or wrap my arms around her waist. I wish she would take better care of herself and be a little more careful... I'm always worried that she would hurt herself. Even then, she was always quite cheerful when our eyes meet. I know she's looking out for me too. Sometimes when I feel a little lethargic, she would appear beside me with sweets. She would also give me shoulder massages. When there were minor arguments, she would hold my hand which calmed me down. 

 

I was arranging the chairs when I heard a loud thud and the sound of glass shattering, disrupting my thoughts. I looked over, I saw Young on the floor covered with beer. I thought my heart almost stopped.

"Young, don't move!" I shouted as I sprinted towards her. 

"Oh my! Are you alright?" one of the colleagues that was nearer to her wanted to help her up. 

"No worries. I'm fine. I'll get up by myself. Be careful, there's a lot of glass here." She said, obviously faking a smile.

"I'll get the broom. You can attend to her." He said. I thanked him. 

"Don't come here! You'll get cut." She stopped me. 

"What were you trying to do with the beer bottles?" I carefully made my way to her. 

"I just wanted to stock up the fridge... I didn't know the floor was wet." She mumbled. 

"Get someone else to do it next time. If not ask me for help. Where hurts? " I said. 

"My hurts." She said softly. Before she could do anything, I carried her up. Something was wrong, her body felt warmer than usual.

"What are you doing?! Put me down. They're all looking!" She tapped my shoulder. I ignored her and brought her to the staff room and closed the door. Lucky we weren't open yet so there were no customers around to witness her fall. The rest of them probably knew we're together. 

"Young. Why didn't you tell me you're having a fever?" I asked after feeling her forehead. I was trying to control my frustration. 

"I thought it was gone. I ate panadol this morning." She muttered.

"So your mom allowed you out?" I questioned even though I could've guessed the answer.

"I didn't tell her..." She shook her head then looked down at her fingers, avoiding eye contact. Of course. She wouldn't be able to even leave the house if her mom knew she was unwell. 

"Why can't you just rest at home? It's your restaurant." I asked. 

"All the more I should come to work." She replied. 

"What will the rest think of your dad when they know you're still working even though you're sick? Won't it put your dad in a bad light?" I reasoned. She didn't had anything to rebut. 

"Why is it so difficult for you to tell me you're not well? Why must I always have to find it out on my own?" I asked, feeling disappointed and a lttle angry that she couldn't even voice it out to me.

"I didn't want to make a fuss out of it. I was fine just now. I can take care of myself. I didn't want you to worry unnecessarily." She replied softly. I looked at her, thinking what am I supposed to do with her when she replies like that. 

"A little late for that. I'm your boyfriend, I'm supposed to take care of you. You think I'll be less worried when you don't tell me anything?! What if you were carrying something hot? What if the bottles fell on you instead? What if there's no one around? " I scolded. 

"Sorry... I promise I'll tell you everything and be extra careful next time." She sulked as she held my hand.

"You want a next time?" I frowned.

"No no, no next time. Don't be angry already... I'm sorry." She pouted as she shook my hand. 

"DId you get cut by the glass?" I asked as I searched for cuts on her arms and legs. She shook her head.

"What's this then? Even this you want to hide from me? " I asked as I pointed to her right elbow. There was a small cut.

"I didn't notice it, I swear." She made a pitiful expression. I went out and came back with a band aid to cover the cut.

"Are you still angry?" She asked carefully as I started packing her stuff. I didn't reply. I carried her bag and helped her up. 

"Where are we going?" She asked as I hung my denim jacket over her shoulders. 

"Home." I replied. She didn't argue with me anymore and even held my arms tightly. 

 

"Youngie? Daehyun? What happened? Why are you both back so soon? Youngie, your shirt?" Young's mom questioned when we reached home. 

"Young is running a fever. She accidentally spilled beer. " I told her, not mentioning her fall. She frowned and went to get a thermometer and took her temperature. Young pouted. 

"Daehyun, bring her up to rest please. I'll make something for her to eat." She said as she went to the kitchen.

"Go and change." I said as I passed Young her clothes. 

I went down to get a towel and a bowl of cold water. 

"Daehyun, Youngie told you she was unwell?" Young's mom asked. I shook my head. 

"She doesn't usually tell me when she is unwell or hurt... I found out after I held her. She told me she took medication this morning." I revealed. 

"She's been sick since morning and didn't inform anyone? That's unlike her. Previously when she fell sick she was usually quite dramatic about it. The entire house would know." Her mom shared. That seemed more like Young. 

"Sorry Auntie, I didn't know she was sick before she left home. I should have been more observant. "

"No, no, there's nothing to be sorry about. I'm not blaming you. I don't know what that girl is thinking but at least she's resting now. Thank you Daehyun." She said as she prepared some noodles. 

I went back to Young's room and found her already lying in bed. I took the towel and placed it on her forehead. 

"So cold." She said as she tried to push my hand away. I stopped her. 

"Are you still angry?" She pouted as she patted her bed, asking me to sit. I sat and caressed her hair.

"Sorry..." She hugged my thigh like a bolster. 

"Young...  Your mom told me that you would usually let them know when you're not well. Why is it that now you chose to keep it to yourself? " I asked. 

“You keep things to yourself too." She argued weakly.

" I'm used to taking care of things by myself. They didn't bother about me but you're different. You used to tell your family when you're sick. Why is it that when I'm around you chose to hide it?" I reasoned. 

" You can tell me anything, really." I added when she didn't reply. I knew she was hesitating. She already had the answers in her head. 

"It's nothing.I just thought that I was able to take care of it myself." She smiled awkwardly. 

Then, there was a knock on her door. 

"Youngie! I heard you're sick. Why didn't you say anything? I got ice cream for you. You can eat it after lunch." Baekhyun entered and rushed towards her. She smiled. Ice cream while she's sick?? 

"Can I talk to her in private?" He asked me. 

"Yeah sure. I'll check if her lunch is ready." I nodded. Their bond sure is close. Even though they aways make fun of each other, when the time comes, they really care for each other. How sweet. 

"Auntie, is her lunch ready?" I asked as I changed the bowl of water. 

"Almost done. Will bring it up later." She said. 

"I'll bring it up for her." I said. 

"I made your share too. You can eat with her." She added. I thanked her and waited for the food to be dished out. 

After awhile, Baekhyun came down to the kitchen. 

"I'll take the water." Baekhyun said as I took the bowls of noodles up. 

"Will you take care of her because if you won't, I can do it." Baekhyun said to me while we were on the way to her room. 

"Of course I'll take care of her. She's my girlfriend." I said, feeling slightly offended even though I know they were all very protective of her. 

"That's what that jerk said too but he did nothing but made her go out with him even after knowing she was unwell. She can be quite a baby when she's sick, are you sure you won't find her troublesome or get tired of taking care of her?" He questioned. Dammit. It's always him. 

"I will take care of her." I replied firmly. She is the only one who really cared for me, naturally I would do the same too. 

"I hope you remember what you said today. Give her some time to put her trust in you again." Is Baekhyun slowly accepting me too? 

"Thanks for telling me what she told you." I guessed that was what they were talking about just now. I have to work a lot harder if I really want Young to move on from the past. 

We entered her room and realised she was asleep. That was fast. 

"I won't disturb the both of you." He said softly as he put the bowl of water down and left the room. 

"Young, wake up. You need to eat." I gently shook her.

"Noo.. Let me sleep." She slurred. As much as I really want her to sleep, she has to eat to take her medication. 

"Darling be good. You can sleep after you take your meds." I persuaded her. She reluctantly opened her eyes. Her frown faded when she saw me. 

"I'll feed you." I helped her sit up comfortably. She didn't resist. 

"I can eat by myself." She said, wanting to take the chopsticks from me. I stopped her and insisted to feed her. I want to baby her too after seeing how her family treats her. I don't want to feel like an outsider or that she has to walk on eggshells around me. 

"Young, I'm not going to leave you unless you don't want me around. I really wish you will open up to me in future. I know it's gonna take some time to let go of the past but I want you to know you can tell me anything." I said as I fed her. 

"I just... Didn't want to burden you or tire you out..." She muttered. It was because of the things I said when I broke up with her previously. She was afraid I would leave her if I get tired of her. You're a jerk, Daehyun. 

"Did you fall sick on purpose?" I asked. 

"Of course not." She replied.

"Then you don't have to worry about being a burden. I will take care of you." I said as I fed her. 

"I will take care of you too." She said with full. Why is she so cute? 

"You just need to be well. Your dad will kill me if I let anything happen to you. " I said though my heart melted at her words. 

"Oh.. Whatever you did was because you're afraid of my dad?" She questioned, feeling disappointed. 

"Of course!" I . She sulked and looked away. This girl is so fun to tease.

"But the bigger reason is because I love you." I said very softly. What the hell Daehyun. Since when have I become so mushy? 

"Huh? What did you say?" She turned and looked at me. Did she really not catch what I said? 

"Doesn't matter if you didn't hear. Eat." I said as I fed her. 

"Repeat what you said then I'll eat." she tried to hide her smile. She definitely heard what I said. I sneaked a kiss on her lips. 

"Daehyun! I'm sick!" She frowned.

"You asked me to repeat. I just did it without words." I . She burried her face in her palms, feeling embarrassed. 

 

As much as I love having Young working with me, sometimes I wonder if it was better if she stayed at the head office instead because there's lesser hazards there. But since she's already here and I know she's happier now, I just have to keep an eye on her. 

  

 

Happy birthday Daehyun ❤️