A pleasant awkwardness

The words on the receipt

 

 

 


 

 

The next time I saw her, it wasn’t at work.  While at school walking around, I saw her with her friends.  She was walking with her head down while looking through her purse.  I was looking at her but I only noticed I hadn’t moved when she bumped into me.  “Sorry,” She said, and slightly bowed her head.  I didn’t speak, and just shook my hands in front of me.  Trying to gesture that it was nothing, but I probably looked strange, sigh.  And with that she was gone.  That had been the first time I had gotten a good close up look at her.  I had been wrong, ha, she isn’t pretty.  She is beautiful.

I kind of, ok I did feel like a fool.  A smiling happy fool, mostly because I couldn’t quite explain why I was so happy.  “Ok, I was in denial.”

It was a couple of days before the beginning of the semester when I saw her again.  She looked tired, like she had just gone for a run.  I wanted to engage her in conversation, but I wasn’t assigned her table.

I could swear our eyes met, and when a waitress went to take her order I could swear she clearly looked disappointed.  Now whether it was because of me was the question.

After classes began, I started seeing her more.  I finally came to the conclusion that the café was her favorite place to read, or at least it seemed so, and the reason for her absence had been final exams.

Somehow I had taken the risk, and once again on her receipt I typed.  This time the reciept was address to beautiful girl. After that, every time I worked the register, I would type something new and special for her.  Things like studious girl, study hard, fighting, and you’ve worked hard.  There were times I wanted to type things like rest well, take care of your body, but I still had some sense and wondered if that would be creepy.  Even thinking that made me make a face, me creepy?  I felt so uncomfortable with that word.  I was more like a secret admirer.  Right?

I came to suspect that she knew of my messages to her, when one day I caught her looking at me.  Her friends were there with her, and they seemed to be teasing her.  She wasn’t smiling, but she didn’t seem to mind, and recently when she came in I thought I’d see her blush when I caught her looking at me.

 

I’d been feeling tired, stress, and busy, so I had taken the week off from work.  Yet, I found myself studying alone in the back of the library instead of resting.  I was alone the first day, but on the second day someone placed their books down in front of mine causing me to look up a bit startled.  There she was, looking at me very seriously, and without saying anything she sat across from me and opened her books.

I was looking down at the diagram in my book smiling.  When I heard her laugh.  We talked a bit, but just mostly about the weather, so it was rather awkward especially when I mistakenly said the weather was wonderful only to then look out the window and see rain.  Still at least I made her laugh.

For the rest of the week we studied together.  Sometimes she would arrive after me, sometimes I would find her already there at the same table were we sat.  And once she even looked a bit angry that I was sitting somewhere else besides what I guess was our usual table.  Our?  Ha.  Anyway, I didn’t know what to do and just whispered that it was taken.  To my surprised she had nodded and we just continued on studying.

Friday, my last day off, I went to the library and didn’t need to spend as much time studying.  I was a bit surprised that when I gathered my stuff she did too, and even more so when she waited for me while I returned some books.  She walked with me and the atmosphere was a bit too awkward, but I didn’t say a thing, and felt both cowardly and grateful when she did.

“So, when do you start working again?”  She asked in a quiet voice I probably had only heard because I was very aware of her presence

“Next Monday,” I said, almost forcing myself to choke out the words without my voice cracking.

Our conversation was becoming more natural, but still surprising me she said, “See you around then?”

I must have looked and sounded stupid when I said "Sure, see you later..." and then asked for her name, but I once again I had made her laugh.

“Seo Joo Hyun, or Seohyun.  You”

“Lu Han, um... just Luhan.” I stammered a bit and we both chuckled.  I was happy to know that I wasn't the only one who didnt't know the other's name.

 

Monday came and so did she.  I wasn’t waiting tables then, but when she saw me she smiled and greeted me.

On her receipt I typed Seohyun and then with a pen I drew a heart on the customer copy.

Time went on like that and it was still disappointingly awkward for us to talk about anything that didn’t involve school, or the weather.  I wanted to know so much more about her, but what would she think if I just asked all of a sudden.  Girls like surprise events, don't they.

All I dared to do was be bold on paper, and not even on love notes.  "But theres no need to rush happiness when love is still growing,"  I thought while looking at her drinking tea.

 

 


Hey guys, I'm sorry if this is a bit anti climatic.  Well, anyway, I just wanted to let you guys know that I'll be trying to update this story everyday for the next week or so at 6pm central time (USA).  Also thank you everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Comment

 

P.s. reply to glamzchic:  idkahaha = i don't know ahaha(nervous laughter)
Or at least that is my interpretation :)