Four Shades of Moonlight Ray

Everybody Wants Soo

[Requested by willowkrame! Wang Yo X Hae Soo! AU where Ha-Jin becomes Soo at the moment Lady Hae married to Wook and does not became the court lady. 1. Hae Soo meets Wang Yo, who seemed to look at her in a rather dangerous glance. 2. What happened during the exorcism rite and after. 3. Soo stood up against Yo for So during Eun’s birthday. 4. Yo’s inner, immoral conflict over Hae Soo.]


 

1 First Meeting.

Soo had managed to learn etiquette as soon as her cousin was married to Wook, the eighth prince. Ever since she was time-traveled to Goryeo, she decided to survive in a name of “Hae Soo” instead of Go Ha-Jin, the 21st century woman. When noticing Soo’s rather saddened expression during the wedding day, Lady Myung-Hee decided to bring her along to the eighth prince’s residence. Gladly, Wook accepted her request and his sister didn’t find anything wrong with it. Princess Yeon-Hwa told Soo she have to meet other princes in Song-Ak and told everything about them. When the princess was about to tell Soo the second oldest prince, her expression grew dark.

“Princess, who’s it?” Soo asked as she pointed at the calligraphy of the prince’s name.

“He is Wang Yo. The third prince and oldest son of Queen Yoo.”

Then the princess turned to Soo, giving her a warning expression.

“Listen, Soo. No matter what you do…when you meet him tomorrow, try not to make any interaction with him. He’s a man you should not end up talk to.”

Soo heard the hardship of eighth prince’s family when they were accused for the crime they didn’t commit, but the real culprit was Queen Yoo. Her eyes turned softened as she imagined their struggling life, but hardened as she wonder what does the third prince looked like. Remembering the princess’s warning, she decided to oblige.

“I understand, princess.” Soo replied with smile.

Yeon-Hwa smiled in relief that her sister-in-law understand.

“Well then, that’s settled.”


 

The next day came and Soo was following her cousin to the Song-Ak, eyes wide as she walked around in awe. She had never seen such large palace before and walking into the historical place was a big surprise for her. They went inside and was greeted by the princes. Soo was informed, by Chae-Ryung, each prince when she saw them.

“Greetings to the princes.” Myung-Hee greeted.

Then Lady Hae glanced at Soo, telling her to greet them all. She looked at the youngest prince, Wang Jung. He has a curious eyes towards her but he smiled.

“Greetings to the fourteenth prince.”

“Hello~!” Jung greeted back.

Soo glanced at Baek-Ah who was quietly scolding Eun for asking ridiculous question to her. All the prince heard the rumors of Hae Clan’s youngest daughter, Hae Soo, who was known for her obsession with arts, medics and is known for her quiet exterior, yet bold and intelligent personality. Eun wanted to ask is she also know about alchemy, but Baek-Ah, the thirteenth prince scolded him to ask such absurd or offensive question.

“Hello.” Soo greeted with warm smile.

Baek-Ah and Eun happily greeted her back. They all saw Soo and thought she was an innocent and amiable girl. Won greeted first and Soo curtsied with smile.

“I heard you love medics and very talented with cosmetics. Make one for us someday. I would like to see them.”

Soo nodded her head. Then she felt a piercing gaze behind her. She carefully turned around and saw a rather tall man with sharp eyes. His half-lidded eyes were gazing on Soo. She tilted her eyes as she inspected him. He was wearing golden robes with the edge of green and purple patterns. His hair was tied up in knots, decorated with golds and his eyes were adorned with sharp eyeshadows. He didn’t speak anything, but Soo could tell he was the prince Wang Yo, whom Yeon-Hwa warned her about.

‘He looks dangerous and gaudy as a peacock. For one thing he is good-looking, but he seems to lack any morality.’

The princes noticed her scrutinising gaze as they figured out she was judging him sharply. Perhaps, it was true she seemed to have a distinct judgement on people and they seemed tensed. What they noticed was Prince Yo’s gaze on her. His eyes were firm, but there was something dangerous within his cold onyx eyes. Soo frowned a little, annoyed with Yo’s silent look and turned her back on him, surprising the princes. Yo blinked his eyes at her shrewd behavior, for nobody has been acting to him in such way.

Then, Soo heard other man entering. He was wearing a black robes with his left eyes covered with the mask. He stopped as the princes froze at his presence, petrified. His eyes were now on the visitors, mostly Hae Soo’s, and was confused. Her eyes were only filled with innocent curiosity, instead of fear. She figured out this man was fourth prince, Wang So, who was rumoured for his cruelty in an epithet of “Wolf-Dog” and also heard that the scar in his left eyes were scarred when he was a child. ‘Perhaps…I could talk to him.’ She thought with smile.

Then she walked towards Prince So, much everyone’s surprise. Wook only smiled, knowing her personality she must be trying to be friendly to him. Her warm expressions and the way she walked towards his estranged brother, Yo frowned even more. Soo stopped and smiled widely.

“Hello.”

The servants and Chae-Ryung’s mouth gaped and paled, feared for her lady. No one has been talking to a fourth prince before. And Hae Soo was the first one to casually talking to him. Taken aback from her welcoming look, So managed to nod.

“Who are you?” So asked, not hiding his wariness.

Soo blinked her eyes.

“I’m Hae Soo, and I ask for your name your highness.”

For some reason, seeing Soo interacting with So with such favoring gestures bothered the prince, especially Yo. He was glaring at the two, obviously miffed with the fact what while Soo ignored him, the third prince, she kindly talked to So with some degrees of affection. Enraptured and drawn by her kindness, fourth prince replied.

“Wang So.” He answered with small grin.

Soo’s smile widened.

“Ah, the sunlight…or the light of the dawn…” Soo figured out the meaning of So’s name, much to his surprise.

The princes’ eyes grew wide as she defined the fourth brother’s name. Wook blinked his eyes in surprise as he never seen Soo this way; much analytical and scrutinising. Soo sighed as she made the most radiant smile.

“I love your name, your highness,” she spoke, “it really suits you.”

Her compliments stuns them once again. So wasn’t an exception. Nobody has commented on his name ever since his mother scarred him. Hearing her praise caused him to make a small smile he tried to prevent himself from forming them.

Little did they knew, the third prince, Wang Yo’s glared daggers at the two. He does not know why her behaviors towards So makes him this angry, but he cares not as he was somewhat consumed with envy. Also, Soo still refuse to acknowledge Yo’s presence as if she was neglecting him. Biting his lips, Yo quietly left quelling his unknown feeling of irritation.

 

2 Her Eyes.

“Kill them.”

The sounds of the blades slashed the bodies rang through the woods. Third prince, in his clothes as Changsu*, stood silently as his cold onyx eyes stared at the assassins shrieked, groaned in pain and the swords cut through their body. Blood oozed out and Yo squinted his eyes. Always the worst part, he closed his eyes as he heard the blood spattered not bothering the sense of crimson fluid touched his face.

His eyes opened as he heard the sound of the leaves rustling with a footsteps. He turned to see the girl of Hae, with her eyes wide in panic and scurried away. Feeling the threatening paranoia of her knowing his intentions he quickly followed her as her feet splintered fast. He raised his one dagger and was about aim at her.

“Oi!!!”

His yelling caught her attention as his eyes gazed at her doe-like eyes. Her large, innocent eyes watery with gathering tears forming. Her pair of eyes was now transforming into a ocean with beautiful shades of grand blue, despite the black pearls were the only color of her eyes possessed. He stopped abruptly as his sharp eyes were widened a little, unconsciously letting himself drowning into a wet, shimmering apple of her eyes.

Third prince then glanced at the masked man behind her, holding a dagger and was aiming at her. In short second, Yo’s hand directed to the man’s head and threw at his forehead, caused the assassin to collapse as the blood seeped out. It didn’t took him long time to realize he had just killed his own henchman, for this girl. He didn’t know the reason why, but he does not care as his eyes were searching for hers. Flinched, she quickly ran away before he could walk to her.
Yo stared blankly at the spot she ran. With his half-lidded eyes darkened in disappointment, he walked away for as he secretly wanted to see the same ocean water of her pupil once again.


 

Throughout the night, he had mused over the eyes of the girl, wondering why he killed his henchman instead of her. Then again, it would cause more trouble if he did for she was eighth prince’s sister-in-law. Even if she saw what happened, there are no evidence left. But his mind reverted back to the vision of her eyes.

‘Her name was Hae Soo, I presume…’

Her watery, yet deer-like eyes…he confirmed he wouldn’t be able to forget them.


 

Wang Yo had saw Hae Soo again several days later. He heard that Wook brought her and her cousin and his wife, Myung-Hee, to Song-Ak as Soo wanted to give the queens a cosmetics she created for them. She was wearing a pure white hanbok, walking around with her eyes sparkling with wonder and awe. Yo’s eyes grew excited as a predator found its prey for as she didn’t know he was approaching as she smiled brightly.

“You there.”

His calling caused Soo flinched. Without looking at him in his eyes, she bowed stiffly and in fast speed, she ran. Irritated with the fact she was ignoring him again, he began to follow her.

“OI!!!!! Stop!!!”

His hand reached for her arm and grabbed tightly. She winced in pain as she finally looked at him. Frustrated that the man she didn’t wished to see again was here catching, she let out a hiss.

“Would you kindly let me go?” She asked.

“It’s been half a year and you still intend to ignore me?” He challenged.

She blinked her eyes.

“So?”
Yo scoffed, indignant at her bluntness. She didn’t deny that she was avoiding him.

“Is there something you want to tell me?” She questioned as he loosened his grip.

Then, he felt like his thoughts become blank, thinking why he called her out in first place. But he didn’t back off as he stared at her challenging look.

“And you should have hid when I saved you, why are you keep waltzing around in my presence?”

It was Soo’s turn to snort at his question.

“I beg your pardon?” She scoffed in annoyance, “Did you caught me? Did you save my life and did YOU STOP ME? And now you’re asking me why I am here alive? I’m the one who should ask that!”

Yo blinked his eyes at her bold behaviors.

“Look, I’m not even speak anything related to the mountains even if you will force me to.”

“And why on earth I should trust you?” He asked as he smirked.

“I’m not gonna ask of you believe me or not. No one will believe me after all and I do NOT wish to meddle with anyone’s secrets. Especially if it’s yours.” She replied.

He twitched his lips on one side at her last sentence. Peculiarly, he found it offensive just as when she interacted with his estranged brother Wang So.

“But,” then Soo formed an appreciative smirk, “consider my act as a way to thank you for saving me back then.”

With her curtesy, she walked away and leaving Yo once again froze.

 

3 Confrontation.

The silence took over as Eun asked for So’s mask to be taken. Yo smirked as he saw the paled, petrified expression So made when he finally revealed his scarred face. Most of the prince froze as Eun looked down in shame. Baek-Ah looked away. But only, only Soo looked at his eyes. Concern filled in her doe-like eyes.

Unable to stay any longer, So left Damiwon and Soo decided to follow him, as she gave Yo accusing glare, almost hissing at him. Amused with So’s humiliation, Yo only chuckled cruelly. Crown Prince Wang Mu scolded him for taking a prank too far enough to hurt So’s feelings, but the third prince scoffed as he stood up giving him a challenging look. Before the situation got worse, Hae Soo came back with grave expression. Baek-Ah and Eun asked for So, but she only shook her head.

“He needs some time alone for now,” She explained grimly, “you may go apologize to him later when he feels better.”

Baek-Ah and Eun nodded their head, understanding. Then, Soo asked them if they could leave Damiwon as she needed to clean up. Giving a warning yet somewhat concerned look, princess nodded her head and told most of the prince to go to Pavilion where Soo had prepared for Eun. But Yo stood still, provoking Soo even more.

“Why are you still here, not dead?” Soo sarcastically asked.

Sensing the sardonic tone of her words, Yo smirked as he walked towards her.

“I can’t help but feel intrigued by your demeanor towards him,” the third prince mused, “I see no fear in your eyes when you just saw So’s scar.”

Soo frowned as she knew he was referring to the fourth prince. Finding this moment as an opportunity to talk some sense to him, she decided to confront him.

“I know you purposely told 10th prince to make him take off his mask,” Soo explained with her hands in her hips, “now I know why princess Yeon-Hwa wanted me to stay away from you.”

The third prince’s smirk faded immediately at Soo’s last words. He frowned as he figured out why Soo ignored him when they first met each other. What miffed him the most was that while she coldly dismissed him, she only gave her full attention to his monstrosity of brother, Wang So.

“And yet you are still cavorting with that disgraceful brother of mine…” He muttered with bitter smile.

It was Soo’s turn to forcing her smile on him. And the next thing anyone had knew, she almost sneered at his petty jealousy.

“You don’t plan on using that useless insults to lash out your anger because you didn’t managed to get what you want, don’t you?”

Her interrogating words caught him off guard.

“It was so obvious that you are envious of your brothers you didn’t have time to hide your emotions.” Soo faked a sweet smile.

With his eyes twitched, Soo could yell herself in victory. To make a matter more interesting for herself, she whispered.

“In the woods…during exorcism rite…”

Yo frowned at her sentence, feeling uneasy all of sudden.

“Murdered assassins…”

Third prince’s expression was worth to see as he was froze. Hae Soo then made a reassuring smile as she spitefully winked.

“Do not worry. I did’t tell anyone, since I don’t have any evidences. No one will believe me even if I tell everything.”

She noticed tenth prince calling out for her, and she waved her hand back.

“I won’t stop you if you’ll come, but you are not fit to be served I must say.”

Finished with her bold words, she bowed and left leaving Yo intrigued. He had watched the girl’s interaction with his brothers ever since their first encounter. For what he had saw, she wasn’t a girl who were obsessed with medics and arts. She was passionate with them. Also, just like what he had heard from the rumor she was bold and very clever shrew. Plus, she intended to be independent and is very selfless, showing kindness to people she cares. As much as he didn’t want to admit but when he saw Soo showering So with affection, he almost wished he was supposed to be there. Not So.

He had seen his brother So’s despair and misery whenever their mother coldly rejected him. And when So needed the maternal attention, Soo had replaced Queen Yoo. As if Soo has become his new mother, she asked for So’s conditions when he wasn’t with her, bringing trays of teas and snacks she made for him, and telling him stories when he didn’t had a good might. It might be just his sense mistaken, but he could see there was something more than the friendship, the maternal affection she gave to him.

Hae Soo was an odd young woman. She had no great amount of beauty as other women, yet she had her own charm that caused everyone to grow some degrees of affections and fondness for her. She moves like a little white rabbit, unable to be caught and hops around in wonder like an innocent being. Soo didn’t need power or wealth to satisfy herself as she could smile anytime. That was the difference between her and him.

But she was no fool…as she was able to detect Yo’s secrets, or his weakness. And peculiarly, he find such parts of her rapturing. She was strong in some ways and used them to help anyone, whether the future could harm her or not. Wang Yo was a man who could use other’s weakness to get what he wants, while Soo uses other’s flaws and use them to protect others. Another difference they share.

Yo glanced at the pavilion and watched Soo running after Eun, playing games and laughing along. She looked like a rare fairy among them. Just like what he thought, she could smile anytime without gaining the love she would someday seek from a man.

Imagining the vision of Soo breaking within his grasp, calling out for his touch, Yo smiled wickedly with his eyes shone a dangerous glint and his lips hungrily.

‘Seeing the shrew becoming a woman who couldn’t resist anything and begging on her knees for only me…’

He snickered demonically as he turned and walk away.

‘how lovely she will become…’

 

4 Virtue or a Sin. (Extra)

Jeongjong, reign 3rd years.

Wang Yo, the third king Jeongjong, stood and glanced at the moon. His half-lidded eyes almost yearning for the answer. He, himself, proclaimed as a righteous man. He was justly proud of his ‘virtues’ and his existence as a complete, perfect man the heavens granted to his mother Queen Yoo. For as he was much ‘purer’ than common, vulgar, monstrous excuse of his brother Wang So.

He looked at the small “temple” set in his room, to calm his nightmare of Eun’s apparition that tortured him. Beside his bed, the candle lighted a small fire. As his hallucinating eyes saw the little light morphed into a form of a woman, his pupils shaken.

‘Then…why I see her now? Whose fiery eyes still burn me inside?’

Hae Soo. This wench, still managed to with her shrewd, yet gentle grace and charm. Her expression, whenever she was with him, was emotionless but Yo could see her eyes boiling in defiance, fury when she looked at him. The third king closed his eyes and rewinded every trace of her appearance as he could sense and see her. He had seen the sun caught in her raven hair, tied up in buns. He had seen the moonlight captured in her ebony when her hair was down. And it sometimes blinded him out of all control.

His hand reached for the candlelight, able to feel the warm sensation. He let go as the burning light almost touched his fingertip. Hae Soo was the candlelight. The colors appealed him, yet he couldn’t touch her. For his brother Wang So, she would be the light sent by heavens. But for him, Wang Yo, she was a fire. Hellfire.

Her existence. The fire in his skin stimulated the burning passion and thus, turning him to sin. He almost thought it was Soo who brought the flames but then, if this was part of heaven’s scheme it would have made a demons so much powerful, stronger than a man like himself. Yo prayed for heaven’s protection, occasionally begging them not to let the wench charms him, or her flames rot his flesh and bone.

He looked at the candle’s dancing fire once again. He would have plan on destroy or kill her. Perhaps, let the rope squeeze around her think neck and drag her down to hell. The aroma of the room overwhelmed his consciousness and he visioned the hateful woman whose sweet smile flashed on him.

‘Or…let her be mine,’ he thought, sound almost fond and yearning, ‘mine alone.’

He heard the door knocked all of sudden, he turned towards the door and let the intruder in, who was none other than the treacherous ninth prince, Wang Won.

“Your majesty,” his voice rang, “the girl has escaped…”

Yo felt the stab in his head as his hand clutched it.

“…what?”

“She’s no longer at Damiwon, or Song-Ak,” Won continued, “she’s gone.”

The former third prince scoffed indignantly. Disbelief and dread filled in his eyes. Then he glared at his ninth brother.

“Nevermind,” Yo managed to speak, “get out.”

Won dismissed himself as the door closed. Yo presumed Soo was with his brother Wang So as he felt the jealousy took control. The murderous glint in his eyes shone brightly.

‘I’ll find her, then…if I to burn down this country…!’

Yes, he will. He must…Yo stared at the candlelight which its light remained to form as a hateful, but desirable girl he had grown hungry for.

‘Soo…now it’s your turn.’

He gritted his teeth, clenching his fist.

‘Choose either me…or the fire…’

He raised his fist.

‘Be mine or you will burn..!’

His fist angrily collided with the candle, crashing it on the ground while he watched the fire dried out and ash were the only remains left.

He sighed heavily, for somehow he felt pity as the heavens granted her the life, alluring charms upon her, yet he also pitied himself for his insane, immoral pursue for the girl. But he already killed his brother Wang Mu, for the throne…if he must pursue for the girl’s complete heart, he could also kill her beloved Wang So.

‘Yes, she will be mine…otherwise…’

He snickered, then increased his voice with his hysterical cackling.

‘either her person…or she will burn…’

 

Note:
Took me long to make this. The extra is just a service, a gift for you willowkrame~!