Window

Summer Conversion

 

 

These have been a few of the hardest weeks in his life. Chanyeol considered himself a pretty lucky guy. Any path he has chosen was the right one so far. He hasn't suffered terrible losses, he hasn't been through anything more negative than some study stress. But that couldn't even be counted as anything bad, since it's completely normal for students to be stressed from school.
But right now, he felt very unlucky. He gained a new precious best friend, and lost him again. Well, he doesn't know if he lost him or not. He doesn't know anything regarding the reason Kyungsoo decided to shut himself off from the world. After he visited the Do's last time to ask about Kyungsoo, he hasn't seen him set a foot outside the house no matter when he looked through the window. The curtains of his room were shut at all times. His skin must have become a lot paler from lack of exposure to the sun by now too..

He felt very unlucky, but his work was going quite alright. He was emotionally drained, yet Baekhyun and Jongin who felt like they owe him after making fun of a person that's so important to him, kept supporting him and giving him all possible help they could through their own connections with the company. Chanyeol was determined to finish this song as quickly as he can, because the faster it takes for the song to be ready, the shorter the time he will have to hold himself from interacting with Kyungsoo again.

His motivation was clear. Even without him mentioning the reason behind writing and composing this type of song, his manager and whoever worked with him knew that the song was written out of experience and honest feelings that Chanyeol has for a special someone. Of course, the fact that the song focuses on a boy was dropped along the way, and the lyrics have been changed to make the person in the field anonymous. Since, well, South Korea isn't quite yet ready for such feelings to be released to the public.

The only problem with working so hard on the song day and night is the fact that every time Chanyeol had to sing it the memories came floating back and spreading the images of the moments they had together in his head. He still didn't understand what could possibly be a reason for Kyungsoo to block off the entire world. Chanyeol didn't bother the Do family by trying to come over anymore. He knew it would just make Kyungsoo's mother sadder. She already looked devastated enough last time he came to check. It could either be something that happened to Kyungsoo himself, or something that Kyungsoo has done. Whichever it is, doesn't matter. Chanyeol just wants is to get his best friend back.

All the days they spent in the field together.. Painting, talking, laughing. All the afternoons they spent in the little park by the swings. All the time they spent in each other's rooms, talking about the world much bigger than the two of them. The world that has centered down only on Kyungsoo in Chanyeol's eyes. All the nights they spent together.. Watching movies and discussing useless pointless plots for hours after. The moments Chanyeol spent watching over Kyungsoo's sleeping body with admiration. For Chanyeol, Kyungsoo was shining brighter than all the stars they were watching when laying down in the open field at night. He became the source of Chanyeol's inspiration, motivation, and aspiration. 

Kyungsoo was the only peron in his life that allowed him to open up and get out of the tough shell the city has built for him. With Kyungsoo he didn't need to pretend, he didn't need to act up or be strong. Kyungsoo's soft voice, his calm big eyes and friendly warm nature unlocked something inside him. He even began regretting not telling Kyungsoo how he was feeling towards him before everything went down like this. He would have most likely stayed exactly the same pretentious guy he was in the city if it wasn't for Kyungsoo's gentle personality. He changed Chanyeol's view on the world completely. When Chanyeol first arrived, he was sure being a good person means being successful, but Kyungsoo taught him that being a good person means being kind, patient, attentive..
Chanyeol's goal has shifted from succeeding in his music career, to succeeding in building his own self up until he would be good enough and strong enough to be able to take care of Kyungsoo.

Finally, after weeks of hard work, the song is officially ready. The day it was done, Baekhyun and Jongin took him out for a little celebration night with them. It was fun, and helped him forget about his negative emotional situation for a while. The date for the release was scheduled, and a few teasers and previews about the upcoming new artist were out to attract the public's attention. It seems it was working, because the anticipating for the new song of the new artist Park Chanyeol was buzzing all over the big city. The only thing missing now, is for Chanyeol to execute his plan to win Kyungsoo back.

It's a saturday noon. Exactly twenty four hours before the grand debut of Chanyeol's music career. He had been practicing the song over and over all morning that even his mother began worrying that something might be wrong and came to his room to ask. How is he supposed to tell her that he has an important reason to continue practicing right now? He is going to do his first live performance to a very special someone. But there is no way Chanyeol can say that out loud. 
After a few adjustments of the tune and cords he was ready. He took his guitar with him and went outside. A few steps to the left, through the gate and up onto the green grass of the Do family's garden.

He stood right under Kyungsoo's window that he has been watching over for the past weeks with extra interest and worry. The curtains are shut. Anyone who'd pass by would think it means the room is empty. But Chanyeol knew better. Chanyeol knew that he was there for sure.
He inhaled slowly and exhaled the hot air out, and after a short cough to clear his throat, Chanyel began singing his brand new song right under the window. It was very cheesy, he knew it. He was basically serenading to Kyungsoo like some prince in a fantasy book. He didn't know if Kyungsoo would like that, it could actually make things worse by embarrassing him, but any kind of reaction - just ANYTHING would be good enough for Chanyeol at this moment. He sang his heart out while watching up the slightly open window.

Nothing.
The curtain didn't even budge.

What.. is this? Is Kyungsoo really that upset to be ignoring Chanyeol's desparate attempt..? Did he not hear the meaningful lyrics? There is no way he'd not understand it was for him with such obvious words.. Kyungsoo, what are you even thinking?
Chanyeol let out a long sigh, but gripped onto his guitar even tighter and began singing it all from the start, using a little more power in his voice in hopes the volume would be louder. His eyes kept watching the window above him with anticipation.

Nothing.
Again, there was not a single change.

What is going on? Why would Kyungsoo do this to him? Isn't he taking it a bit too far now? It's hard enough for Chanyeol to come out here and do this.. Is Kyungsoo testing him? How sincere he is? Why wouldn't he give even a smallest indication that he knows Chanyeol's there?
Chanyeol went up to the front door of the house and knocked with a bit of power. Kyungsoo's mother opened the door almost right away and greeted him with a small smile. He felt a little embarrassed all of a sudden. Kyungsoo might have not heard him, but she probably have.

"I--.. Uh.. Is Kyungsoo home right now..?" He asked, rubbing the back of his head.
"He is dear, yes. But maybe you should find another wa--"
"Thank you..!" He bowed to her and left the doorstep quickly, settling himself yet again under Kyungsoo's window.

He sang it all once again, even louder than he did before.
But there was nothing.

This is getting ridiculous. Does Kyungsoo think this is a joke? Chanyeol isn't giving up though. Even if he is making a fool of himself right now. 
The process repeated again, and Chanyeol's nerves were being pushed to the limit. He grabbed a tiny rock from the garden and threw it against Kyungsoo's window. It made a little tapping sound he could hear himself, and he was standing on the ground. There's no way Kyungsoo didn't hear this. Oh, there is a little moment behind the curtains! Now's the right time.

Chanyeol took a breath, and regretted not brining a water bottle with him out here. He felt his throat going dry, and a few notes took a lot more effort to sound than before. This time, since he thought he saw movement, his anticipation grew even more. So when he waited whole three minutes without any change, his anger popped and he grabbed yet another rock.

This time he threw it with a little more force at Kyungsoo's window, hoping it'd make a louder sound to get Kyungsoo's attention. But instead of tapping the glass and falling back down, the rock broke a hole in the glass and flew right inside the room. 
Uh oh. That is not what Chanyeol intended. He began panicking in his spot. How is he going to explain this to Kyungsoo's mother?

But to his surprise, Kyungsoo finally moved the curtain away and popped his head against the window. Looking down at Chanyeol with wide eyes of confusion. Seeing Kyungsoo's face after such desparate attempts only brought the anger back into Chanyeol, and he let out a huff of hot air while giving Kyungsoo an intimidating expression. It seems he was startled, because after seeing Chanyeol's face, the other left the window again.

Chanyeol sighed.. Is this the end..? Kyungsoo is now really going to never give him a chance anymore..? Should he be giving up..? Chanyeol gripped tightly on his guitar. He felt so upset and helpless. He worked so hard, so darn hard just to be able to prove himself to Kyungsoo, and this is what he gets..?

A few moments passed, Chanyeol just stood there in silence and contemplated his entire life up until this point. The guitar was already placed aside as well. He was a little surprised when he heard steps on the grass coming his way. When he turned his head to see who it was, he expected to see Kyungsoo's mother trying to shoo him away from their house after breaking the window. But the person arriving was no other than Kyungsoo himself.
Chanyeol looked at him until he stood right in front of him, and let out a long sigh. 

"Chanyeol, what is wrong?" Kyungsoo's voice was something he missed hearing so much. He couldn't possibly stay upset at him.
"Kyungsoo-yah.. Why did you ignore me now..? Why did you stop talking with me? If I did anything just tell me. We aren't kids you know.. We can solve things with words." Chanyeol explained. 

He was nervous and his shoulders felt tense, but he was glad that his anger disappeared before he began talking. He wouldn't have wanted to blow up on Kyungsoo for no reason. Kyungsoo was watching his face as he spoke, and when he finished his expression changed into a pained one.

"Kyungsoo-yah.. What happened? What made you so upset?" Chaneyol added and very gently placed his big palm on Kyungsoo's shoulder.

Kyungsoo shook Chanyeol's hand off of him and looked down with an expression has yet seen. Kyungsoo looked like he was so angry, but not at Chanyeol, rather at himself. He seemed angry, frustrated, and mostly sad. Was he suffering this much this whole time..? What exactly happened to him? Chanyeol just wanted to know. He wanted to learn what it was so he could help Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo's personality was very mature.. That means whatever it was that happened to him should have been pretty serious for him to lock himself in the house for so long.

"Please let me know-- Kyungsoo-yah, I want to help..! You are my friend..!!" Chanyeol insisted, but the other just turned and began walking away, as if he wasn't even listening to Chanyeol's words at all. 

Chanyeol's nerves came back to the surface. Kyungsoo is straight up declining him right now. That is not only unfair, but also incredibly rude. Especially for a person with such good manners like Kyungsoo. In a quick movement Chanyeol stepped to him and grabbed onto his arm, pulling Kyungsoo's body back and holding onto his shoulders quite hard to keep him in place.
Kyungsoo seemed to be startled from it, because his eyes widened when he looked up at Chanyeol's face that was close up to his own from being held with this force.

"Tell me."

When their faces were up this close, Chanyeol noticed that Kyungsoo's eyes weren't focusng just on his face.. They were focusing on Chanyeol's lips. What does it mean..? Normally, at least according to the media platforms, when someone looks at the other's lips it means they are wishing to recieve a kiss.. But Kyungsoo's expression didn't look nearly as dazed or loveable as he'd expect for such a thing.

It was silent for a few moments. Chanyeol's hands held Kyungsoo sturdy in his spot. Come on.. Kyungsoo has to say at least something. Was he being too assertive..? Did he scare him? That might be it, because Kyungsoo's expression began shifting again, and this time it was even worse than before. Kyungsoo looked like he was in so much pain that Chanyeol worried he might have broken his bone by grabbing him.

"I--.. I can't hear you-- Chanyeol-- I can't hear..!!" Kyungsoo finally uttered with a shaking voice. His eyes were down on the ground, but Chanyeol saw that they were starting to shine with rising tears.
"I can't hear anymore-- at all..!!! I can't hear you Chanyeol-- I'm sorry--..." Kyungsoo broke. He broke right in front of him. The tears that gathered in his eyes began streaming down. His shoulders began trembling and his hands rose up to hide his face and the shame of the situation.

Chanyeol froze. He looked at Kyungsoo in silence unable to move, nor make a sound. The gears in his head began working harder than usual while he was absorbing the details that were just revealed to him.

Kyungsoo.. became deaf. That's what he is saying. 
Chanyeol's hand loosened their grip on Kyungsoo's shaking shoulders. He stood there in silence for a long while, just watching Kyungsoo mourn about his own misery. It was heartbreaking. Chanyeol's heart was aching so bad. Everything was finally so clear.

The reason Kyungsoo speaks in such a unique manner.
The reason Kyungsoo was so worried when they first met.
The reason he doesn't react if he doesn't see the face of whoever speaks to him.
The reason he couldn't hear so many of Chanyeol's sentences that he had to repeat.
The reason he was reading the subtitles of the movies with so much attention.
The reason he... Shut himself off from the world. From Chanyeol.
Chanyeol's passion relies on sound, and Kyungsoo is unable to take part in it. Kyungsoo pushed himself away because.. He didn't want to hold Chanyeol back.

He kept looking at Kyungsoo who was weeping quietly, trying to wipe his own tears and face with his sleeves.. But the stream didn't stop. Kyungsoo.. Oh precious Kyungsoo.
Without saying another word Chanyeol stepped closer to the other and wrapped his arms around him as tight as he could. Squeezing him into his chest and the back of his head. Kyungsoo.. Oh dearest Kyungsoo.

He has been going through this all on his own, without letting Chanyeol know about it and burden him with the trouble of caring. Just how much of an angel can he be. Chanyeol could feel his shirt slowly soaking with Kyungsoo's nonstopping stream of tears. There was so much pain, grief and frustration in his cry. He really let it all out.. And who knows how long he bottled it in just so he wouldn't burden anybody else. Chanyeol kept rubbing Kyungsoo's back with affection, and very gently leaned his face down to plant a kiss on the other's head. It must have been so hard.. Kyungsoo.. Oh beloved Kyungsoo.

They stood like this for quite a while. Kyungsoo poured out his entire heart and soul into this lengthy cry, and Chanyeol couldn't do anything more than simply be there for him and hold him tight. What can he do, really? Actually, he knew at least a few things he could do. Or more like, he had to do.
Once the other calmed down and even mumbled a helpless apology for wetting his shirt, Chanyeol just cupped his face upwards and smiled at him. A soft calm gaze. Kyungsoo was a little puzzled, his eyes still shining from under the crooked glasses, and his nose and lips were a little redder than the usual. 

"Kyungsoo-yah, It's alright. I will stay with you. I will make it work." He said quietly. He didn't need to raise his voice to get Kyungsoo's attention ever again now. 

He could tell Kyungsoo understood what he said, because his expression became a little surprised. Chanyeol only imagined how terrifying it must have been to lose one of his senses. Kyungsoo was probably expecting Chanyeol to be angry, frustrated, disappointed in him, for losing the one sense that actually has something to do with Chanyeol's greatest passion.
But it was exactly the opposite. Chanyeol felt calm, relieved and peaceful after finding it out. As hard as he thought he was suffering this whole time, it must have been a hundred times worse for Kyungsoo, who not only had to deal with his new situation, but also with his own feelings towards it.

Chanyeol pulled Kyungsoo's cupped face a little closer, and pressed his lips on the other's forehead affectionately. He planted one kiss, two kisses.. at least seven warm and gentle kisses on Kyungsoo's forehead before finally letting his face go from the hold. When he looked at him he could see the pink shade had spreaded over to his cheeks as well, and even though his eyes were focused on Chanyeol in a sort of surprise, Kyungsoo's hands were tugging to his own shirt in a shy manner. Ah.. How cute. Kyungsoo is just too adorable.

---

They began texting again, the curtain in Kyungsoo's room was opened during the days now. The hole in the glass remained. Kyungsoo simply put a little bit of transparent tape on it to seal it up. Sometimes when Chanyeol came back from work he could see Kyungsoo painting in the field again. Sometimes at night they would play the drawing guessing game, and everytime Chanyeol would surprise Kyungsoo with another animal he learned how to say in sign language.
Even though Chanyeol's song was a pretty big success and kept constantly playing on the radio whenever he was out in the city, he didn't need to listen to any music if Kyungsoo was around. The families have gotten back together, and the Park parents were informed of Kyungsoo's case. It felt like everyone were giving a little more effort and care to approach Kyungsoo. But Chanyeol made sure that Kyungsoo knew it wasn't a burden.

The two of them kept coming over to each other's places again. Things came back to how they were, except quieter and even more peaceful. They spent many more days out in the field. Painting together, or even lying down and watching the clouds soaring in the sky. Trying to make shapes out of them. Chanyeol learned the sign language pretty quickly, and whenever he was missing a word Kyungsoo helped him learn it. Chanyeol thanked his own genes for being able to catch and learn things so quickly, because he noticed how happy it made Kyungsoo whenever they were able to speak with each other that way.

It has been a while, several months in fact, and the two have grown closer than they have ever been before. Now thanks to the fact they weren't communicating with sound, their physical contact has become a lot more personal. Not exactly intimate, but their teasing and games mostly involved tickling, that's for sure.
Chanyeol came back from work early that day, and had a new revelation. After speaking with his manager about the fact his friend became deaf, his manager suggested that there is still a way for him to enjoy the music, and Chanyeol would do anything to try and make Kyungsoo happy. Being able to hear Chanyeol's music was probably one of the things that Kyungsoo regretted not doing the most.

When Kyungsoo arrived after recieving the text invitation, Chanyeol immediately pulled him up into his room and sat him down. Kyungsoo seemed to be confused, and asked Chanyeol several times what he was doing, because why would Chanyeol move around and grab his guitar if Kyungsoo cannot hear it anyway?
Chanyeol sat himself right next to Kyungsoo and began strumming the strings. He played a soft melody, but noticed that Kyungsoo's expression became a little grim from the fact he couldn't hear it.

'I found a way to let you hear my music.' He signed to Kyungsoo with a smile.
'How? It isn't possible.' The other replied with sadness.

Chanyeol then grabbed Kyungsoo's hand and gently placed it on the edge of the strings. It changed the tune a little bit, but when he played, Kyungsoo should be able to feel the vibration with his fingers. From Kyungsoo's surprised expression it seems it was working, because the other actually moved closer and made himself more comfortable with his fingers on the strings. So it worked. Kyungsoo might not be able to hear his music, but this way maybe he could sense it.

'I can feel it, I can feel your music Chanyeol.' Kyungsoo signed quickly with slight excitement before touching the instrument again.

Success. Chanyeol was so pleased that he began strumming the strings a little stronger, and noticed how a small smile began spreading across Kyungsoo's lips. There is always a way. 

---

The winter had passed, and spring began painting everything in beautiful shades of green. The field behind their houses seemed to have come back to life. The flowers in their gardens were healthy and colorful. It felt like the world began blooming again. And it wasn't the only thing blooming.

The relationship between Chanyeol and Kyungsoo has taken a step further after, to Chanyeol's surprise, Kyungsoo was the one who admitted he had a little bit more than friedly feelings for him. Chanyeol's career was also another thing that bloomed. He was overflowing with inspiration thanks to Kyungsoo, and his album was a great success across the country. Thanks to his achivement, he got to have more free time that he could spend with Kyungsoo. He also used his fame to raise awareness about hearing impairment. He donated a lot to charities, while the rest was being saved so that he could build his own house right next to his parents. A house for him and Kyungsoo. They were taking it slow. Knowing that it's better to wait until everyone's ready before exposing it even to their families. But it would happen. One day it definitely will, not only to their families, but to the entire world.

'Chanyeol.' Kyungsoo signed to him while sitting in his lap and resting his back against Chanyeol's chest.
'?' Chanyeol signed with his hands in front of Kyungsoo so he could see it without straining his neck.
'I don't need to hear anyway, you know why?'
'Why is that?'

Kyungsoo stopped moving for a while, but Chanyeol could feel his body temperature slightly rising, is he okay? What is he thinking about that makes him embarrassed? Chanyeol wrapped his arms around Kyungsoo's stomach and pulled him slightly closer on his lap, before releasing his hands and signing another question mark.

'Because I don't need my ears to hear your heart.. I can feel it when we are close like this.' Kyungsoo's hands were shaking a little when he signed it. And so was Chanyeol's heart. It began thumping a little faster in his chest after recieving such an incredibly adorable confession. Ah.. Kyungsoo.. What would Chanyeol have done without him.

Chanyeol smiled so widely, and instead of answering, just wrapped his arms tight over Kyungsoo and pulled his entire body closer. He felt how Kyungsoo's palms began over his own hands, and decided to rest his head over Kyungsoo's shoulder from the back.

"I love you." He mumbled quietly into Kyungsoo's ear. The other could only feel the warm breath probably, but it didn't matter.

"I love you, Kyungsoo.." Chanyeol repeated. 

"I love you." He kept repeating it endlessly into Kyungsoo's ear. He knew the other couldn't hear it. But that's alright, because he would definitely be able to feel it from his heart.

"I love you, Chanyeol." 
Chanyeol's whole body jolted when he heard Kyungsoo say it out loud. It was the first time he heard Kyungsoo's voice say these words. It's been so long since he heard his voice, it probably took him practice to say it. Chanyeol was speechless. He knew he couldn't hear his words.. Yet.. Saying it in such timing.. He must have really felt it.

Chanyeol took a hold of Kyungsoo's hand and raised it up to his face, stressing a long warm kiss on the back of Kyungsoo's palm.

"I love you."

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you so much to everyone who read this story! It was really interesting to write, I tried to give little clues here and there for Kyungsoo's odd beahviour..
Were you able to guess it before this chapter? Haha.

I keep recieving so much love and support from everyone, it really means so much to me. I hope I'll be able to continue writing many many more stories about these two precious babies. ♡

And again, thank you so much!! Please let me know what you thought about it.