1

RBW Investigation Corp: The Bar
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wheein plopped down on the sofa, dragged the remote controller from the cabinet and opened the television. News, then children's shows, then afternoon variety shows, movies, then some strange dramas that seem to have the same plots over and over again. Wheein memorized it at this point. The rain is strong, and it's darkening the skies. Five months of being jobless didn't help her at all. She could take some teaching job at a community college, but then again, who would take in someone like her? She's been literally dragging her own all by herself for a while now, unsure what to do.

She was thinking about how she can make her day a little different today, until her train of thoughts were disrupted by her loaned cellphone. She picked it up from the side table and answered whoever's phone call it was. "Hello?"

"Jung Whee!" A sassy, no-nonsense but also hyped up voice came from across the line. Wheein would know this voice from anywhere.

"Hyejin?" She sighed. "What do you need? You usually don't call me unless you need something." It was a joke. Among everyone who knew Wheein and her mistake, she's one of the few who actually kept in touch.

"Yah, you're still unemployed?"

Wheein twitched in annoyance. "You know, I'm wasting my time here. I'll call you later."

"WAIT!" She yelled from the other line. At some point, Wheein is beginning to think that her eardrums are actually gone and broken by now. Hyejin yelled so loud that she had to move the phone away from her ear. "I know a job for you."

Wheein stood up. "Yeah sure, but hiring me through phone call? I might think that this is a prank." And she sighed. Then she plopped back on the sofa. "Thanks, but no thanks. I don't think the employer's gonna let me in anyway."

"Hun, what makes you think that way? You are Jung Wheein, the number one profiler --"

"Also the number one flop, thanks."

"Stop it, In-ah." Hyejin sighed from the other line. "Alright, whatever. Just come to Rainbow Bridge. It's the bar two blocks from your house. Later at nine."

Wheein snickered, unbelieving and somewhat annoyed. "Wow, you want me to work at a bar?" Hyejin didn't answer for a while. Hesitant silence. She either wants me to work at a bar or there's a catch on this bar job. Wheein read Hyejin in a matter of seconds. "You do, don't you?"

"N-no! It's just a meeting place." Stuttering. An indication that she's lying.

"Quit it. I might be jobless as , but I still have my dignity attached."

Another silence crossed the line. It was too silent to the point that all they can hear is the rain, or maybe it's just because the rain is too strong that day. "You've never been to Rainbow Bridge haven't you? Because I work there and the last time I checked, all of us still have our dignities in our hands. Our CEO isn't a ert, if that's what you have in mind. Rainbow Bridge is literally just a drinking bar and our performers are actual singers. Now, if you want the job, go there at nine pm, I'll be there." Hyejin dropped the line with an awfully pissed and upset tone, and Wheein just guiltily threw her phone to the other side of the sofa. The girl curled on her seat, mad at herself for shouting at the only person who still gives a damn about her.

She looked back at the phone across the sofa and she picked it up and sent a quick reply.

"Where are you going?" The afternoon came but the downpour didn't end. At the apartment gate, Wheein was asked by a pale man with western-ish features plastered on his face, like the large eyes and the lips and the perfect jaw. He looked at her from eye to toe and crossed his arm. "You hate the rain. You want me to give you a ride to wherever you are going?"

"Choi Seungcheol." She called him, snickering and rolling her eyes. "You own a motorbike. I'll probably get wet before I even get to the mall."

Seungcheol pressed his lips together, with his hand on his waist and sighed. "You can always count on me, Wheein." He squeezed her arm and decided to leave the girl alone. He went to up to the apartment, leaving the girl sighing as she pulled out her foldable umbrella from her backpack. She opened it and she began skipping out of her apartment, feeling the Earth air after almost a week rotting inside her lonely apartment with nothing but the boring tv and Seungcheol's voice to ponder with. Seungcheol, like Hyejin, stayed with her for the whole five months of slump, in her language.

The town she currently lives in is small and quiet with a low crime rate, a total 360 degree change from the city she came from. The stoplight stopped her from walking to the next street, and she saw a pair next to her. A man and a smaller guy. They were facing each other and talking. The smaller guy doesn't look any taller than her but she can read him.<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter