Epilogue: Straight on 'Til Morning

Toto

Youngmi stood in front of the graves that resided not too far from the treehouse in which she lived. It had been a while since she returned to the forest. She wasn’t sure how long it had been. At first she kept track of the days, but after a while she had given up. She wondered how much time had gone by in the human world, since time passed differently between the two places. Youngmi shook the thoughts away, knowing it was best not to dwell on such things. She then looked at each and every headstone, knowing that someday she would be in the ground next to them.

 

Minhyuk walked up next to Youngmi, he had been watching her as she stared at the graves. It was something she did often. It worried him because he knew that the girl was afraid of growing older, and it wasn't healthy for her to stress over it so much.

 

He grabbed her hand and threaded their fingers together, hoping it would comfort the girl. Youngmi moved closer to Minhyuk and rested her head on his shoulder. Neither of them said a word, just stood there together, listening to the wind pass through the trees. It was peaceful.

 

It was difficult for the boys as time went on and Youngmi continued to age while they remained the same. Her skin was forming wrinkles and her hair growing gray. Youngmi pretended like it didn’t bother her but they weren’t fooled by her act. They all were grieving in their own ways, knowing the day was drawing closer. They didn’t know when it would be but it had to be soon.

 

Youngmi knew her time was coming, so before she could pass on she wrote her story in a journal. She wanted any other humans that may stumble into this world to know that they were not alone. They weren’t the first and they certainly wouldn’t be the last. In the final pages she made a note to explain how they could get out should they enter the forest. Youngmi included the fact that once they stepped out on the other side, many years may have gone by, or maybe no time will have passed at all.

 

Youngmi laid her bed, she had grown weak and tired. It was no longer easy for her to get around. The boys took turns taking care of her, and it was getting harder for them to be near her, they didn’t want her to watch as they cried.

 

It was finally the day, the one they all had been dreading. Youngmi found it hard to keep her eyes open, she was ready quite honestly. She was waiting to succumb to the darkness that awaited her. A knock at the door however kept her from doing so. She turned her head to watch as the girl dressed in a red cloak entered the room.

 

Youngmi recognized the girl from the journal that had been written by the human before her. The spirit of the forest.

 

The boys were confused, they had never seen her before. Who was she, and what did she want?

 

They watched her approach Youngmi and sit beside her on the bed.

 

“Binnie.”

 

“Ah, so you know my name.” Binnie gave the old woman a gentle smile. “I have a gift for you.”

 

Binnie turned to the six guys standing around the room and spoke.

 

“I can’t stop Youngmi from dying, it simply isn’t possible for humans. However,” she returned to look at Youngmi, “I can give her a final gift before she leaves.”

 

Binnie placed a hand over the woman’s forehead, and a soft blue light emanated in between.

 

Youngmi had now taken on a youthful appearance, the same as the day she entered. Everyone was quite shocked by this change, they didn’t think such a thing was possible.

 

Binnie, being finished with her gift, took her leave. She had done what she came to do and it was no longer her place to stay.

 

The six boys rushed up to Youngmi’s side, not quite believing what they were seeing. But they managed to smile. This was the Youngmi they had first seen and had first come to love. Although smiling, this did not stop the tears from coming.

 

Youngmi reached out and touched Minhyuk’s hand which he then grabbed and held tightly onto, this would be the last time. She looked all around her seeing the smiles mixed with tears.

 

“I love you. Each and every one of you.”

 

Her gaze finally landing on Minhyuk. His eyes sparkled from the tears combining with the sunlight shining through the window. The last time she would ever lay eyes upon him.


And so she closed her eyes for the last time and entered an eternal slumber.

 

 


A/N: First of all I would like to apologize for my mistakes in this story. After a while I realized I left plot holes, but since I don't know how to go about fixing it I'm just going to leave it as it is. This is my first story and I'm not very confident in my writing abilities, and I'm also a bit disappointed with how this turned out. So I apologize.

And second, thank you to everyone that has subscribed to and read my story. I was afraid to post it because I was sure no one would read it. So I really appreciate those of you that did. Thank you so much~