Follow the Yellow Brick Road

Toto

He turned around and looked at her, a grave look on his face.

 

She knew, she somehow knew what he was about to say, and she was absolutely dreading it. She didn’t want to hear the words that were ready to spill out of his mouth, but spill they did.

 

“We’re lost.”



 

Youngmi had an overwhelming urge to strangle the boy. How could they be lost? He said he lived in the forest, shouldn’t he know his way around?

 

She glared at him and then spoke.

 

“You’re joking right? Please tell me it’s just some horrible joke you’re playing right now.”

 

Myungjun gulped and slowly shook his head. There was fear written on his face. The way the girl was looking at him, he began to fear for his life. Certainly she was getting ready to kill him.

 

Youngmi threw up her arms and groaned. She had been looking forward to finally getting out of that horrible place, but that hope was stomped on, crushed, and buried. She took off, she didn’t care what direction, any way should do, right?

 

“Hey, where are you going?”

 

“I don’t know,” Youngmi spun around and stared at the boy, “Does it really matter though? You certainly don’t know where to go.”

 

Myungjun began sulking. He knew he had made a mistake in getting them lost. But he was absolutely sure he had gone the right way. All they had to do was go east. Only problem was, he didn’t know which way east was. So he picked whatever direction he thought it might be and started moving. By this time though, he realized the direction he chose was wrong.

 

Youngmi noticed the sad, regretful look on his face. Maybe she shouldn’t have been so harsh. But she was upset, they were lost and she was afraid.

 

She turned back around and started walking, she was bound and determined to leave that dreadful forest. When she noticed Myungjun hadn’t left his spot she looked at him and asked if he was coming or not. At this, he just nodded his head and followed after her.

 

They hadn’t gone very far, maybe only a mile or two, when they heard something. It kind of sounded like yelling, but they weren’t very sure. Youngmi turned to Myungjun and smiled. Finally, there must be other people, and maybe they know the way out.

 

Youngmi took off running, leaving Myungjun behind. She had to get to wherever the shouting was coming from, she needed to find those people. The girl ran and ran, not exactly caring if Myungjun was still following her or not. She slowed down once the yelling got louder, she knew she was close.

 

What she came upon was a very small clearing, occupied by a single stump. And on either side of that stump were two… well, she wasn’t quite sure what she was looking at.

 

In front of Youngmi were, what happened to appear, two girls. But they were the strangest looking girls she ever did see. This was definitely a first for her. She didn’t know how to process the image that was now circulating throughout her brain. She thought the light and the tunnel had been the weirdest things she’d seen all day, but this had certainly taken the cake.

 

The pair of girls both had wings, which was odd on its own, but along with that, they both had the most unusual of skin tones. The one to Youngmi’s left had a very pinkish tone to her skin, not completely pink, just noticeable enough to know her skin wasn’t quite right. And the one to her right had a turquoise tone, once again, not completely so, but just enough. And they both seemed to shimmer in the sunlight.

 

She didn’t know how to go about approaching the situation before her eyes. Youngmi had wanted to, once she found them, ask for directions. But now she was starting to change her mind. She began backing away, hoping she wouldn’t be noticed. Luck, however, was not on her side.

 

The girl had backed straight into a tree, and without thinking, she yelped from the pain. The yelling had stopped, and when she looked up both of the creatures were staring at her, very angrily in fact. Youngmi’s eyes traveled back and forth to each girl, and finally landed in the middle, towards their hands. They had both been clutching something, but she couldn’t tell what it was.

 

Before anything else could happen, Myungjun, at last, made his appearance. Youngmi looked over at him, hoping he had an idea of what was going on, but the boy looked as if he was terrified. Well that didn’t make her feel any better.

 

By this point she was shaking, it had been a long day and her nerves were on edge. Especially with this new development.

 

The silence was broken when one of the strange girls spoke up, which caused Youngmi to jump, as she hadn’t expected it.

 

“What are you doing? Can’t you see we’re busy? Go somewhere else.”

 

Then the pink one spoke.

 

“Especially you, you vile fox.”

 

Fox? Had the fox followed them?

 

Youngmi checked her surroundings and saw nothing. But then, it finally clicked.

 

Myungjun.

 

He had been there after Youngmi tripped trying to scare off the animal. She had nearly forgotten about it after seeing the boy. Her head was starting to hurt. What was going on? This just had to be a dream, right?

 

“Vile? How dare you call me vile you pesky pixie.”

 

Well that certainly was not a good idea. The girls, now identified as pixies, were raging. Youngmi was even more frightened now than she had been earlier that day. She really just wanted to punch Myungjun in the face for being so stupid.

 

The pixies dropped whatever object they had been holding and began to attack Myungjun. He screamed as they pulled at his hair and started hitting him. As the pair of pixies were distracted, Youngmi went to check what the two girls had been fighting over.

 

In the grass, next to the tree stump, was a handheld mirror. A rather pretty one in fact. Youngmi picked up the item and turned it over, just checking it out. Yep, just a simple hand mirror. The girl was baffled as to why someone would fight about such a thing.

 

Youngmi noticed that it had gotten awfully quiet, Myungjun was no longer putting up a fuss. She peered to her left and saw the pixies glaring daggers at her. She almost dropped the mirror but managed to catch it in time. She figured if it broke, she’d be on the receiving end of the abuse. So she carefully handed it over to them.

 

The pixies lunged at the thing, both managing to grab it and start their shouting match again. Youngmi wondered if she should do something, but she didn’t want her head taken off. She felt as if she had to fix the situation though, as this match might never see its end.

 

She cleared , which caught the pixies off guard. They stared at her, wondering what she could possibly want at that moment in time. Couldn’t she see they were occupied with something?

 

“Why, exactly, are you arguing over that mirror? Can’t you just share it?”

 

They just looked at her like she was stupid. Which threw her off because she thought that it indeed was a fantastic idea. But the expression on their faces told her she was horribly wrong.

 

The pink pixie spoke up first, and hastily, as she wanted to get a word in before the one she had been battling could.

 

“This is my looking glass. I found it first.” she turned to the other pixie and stuck her tongue out.

 

“Excuse you? This is my looking glass, and you know it!”

 

“Oh, you poor dull thing you. I obviously laid my eyes on it before you. Therefore, it is mine.”

“And I grabbed it before you, so it is mine.”

 

Before they could start up, Youngmi asked them how they had come upon the mirror in the first place. She really was interested in what was so special about the object. It was an ordinary looking glass, no great thing that would warrant a war over.

 

So the pixies begrudgingly gave their account of what happened, finding it completely unnecessary to speak to the human girl. It really wasn’t her business in the first place. But so they went on. Their story began with them arguing, over senseless boring things that don’t need to be explained in detail.

 

Is that all they do is fight? Youngmi questioned.

 

As they were flying about and scratching and biting at each other, they noticed a glint of light out of the corner of their eyes. They stopped what they were doing and looked down to find a looking glass, sitting on a tree stump. This pleased them so, as they went on to mention that mirrors, especially of the handheld variety, were a very rare occurrence in the forest. Which didn’t surprise Youngmi, because why would there be a mirror in a forest at all. It was interesting that there was even one. But she continued to listen to their tale.

 

Once they were finished, which Youngmi was thankful for actually, she tried to come up with a solution for how to solve the problem. But all she could come up with was for them to share the darned thing. She mentioned her idea again, but the pair seemingly were not in agreeance. They found the thought preposterous.

 

The turquoise girl felt the need to make a statement, and so she did.

 

“I deserve to have this mirror. Really, I do. For, you see, I am the only one that will listen to myself…”

 

“Because you’re a nitwit,” the pink one spoke up.

 

“Ahem. As I was saying. I’m the only one who will listen to myself, seeing as the rest of the inhabitants of this place are quite stupid,” She side-eyed the girl next to her.

 

“And, the looking glass shows me the most beautiful thing in all of existence. Me.”

 

The pixie next to her just groaned. But she continued on.

 

“The me that exists on the other side of this looking glass is a great conversationalist. She does not interrupt me and agrees with everything I say. For I am very smart, you see. And simply no one else understands.” The girl grinned, content with what she spoke. In her mind it was a very good argument as to why she should be the one to keep the mirror.

 

“Pssh, the you on the other side would be just as fed up with you as every other person here.”

“Shut it Mimi. You’re too stupid to know anything about anything.”

 

“Am not, Ahrin. You’re the stupid one!”

 

And once more they were bickering. This war was obviously never coming to an end.

 

Myungjun, who had taken a seat under a tree, had watched in fantastic amusement. It was honestly one of the greatest things he had ever witnessed. It was too bad the other boys hadn’t been there to view the great spectacle. He then stood up and waved Youngmi over, who had started getting antsy and looked awfully uncomfortable. And she gladly took the invitation. Myungjun wasn’t done however. He interrupted the pixies for a quick moment to inquire about the direction of the treehouse.

 

They pointed in the direction in which to go and shouted, “EAST!”

 

And so, Youngmi and Myungjun quietly slipped away, so as not to get caught up in the pixies’ affair any longer.

 

 

Almost there, he thought. Just another few feet and he’d have the bird.

 

The treehouse in which they lived was in sight, which only spelled out trouble for Sanha. He knew that if he didn’t get the bird right that instant he’d be sitting in his room later on with no dinner. He wasn’t going to let that happen. Not again.

 

Sanha pushed himself to go faster, he was quickly coming up onto the crow. And when he felt he was close enough, he changed. Transforming into his human form, the boy grabbed the bird. At this point they were already at the treehouse. Honestly it was a good thing, because now Sanha could absolutely make sure he wasn’t tattled on. He ran up to a bird cage that was hanging from a branch. Then began trying to stuff the poor crow inside. The bird was giving up quite a fight though, a funny sight to see if one were there to witness it.

 

“What are you doing to Minhyuk?”

 

Caught.

 

The two stopped their struggle and peered over to the person that spoke. The very one Sanha was trying to avoid.

 

The Prince of the forest.

 

“Uhhmmm…,” Sanha began.

 

But he wasn’t able to finish his statement, because the bird he was holding transformed. The weight was too much for Sanha to bear, thus the two boys toppled over, with Sanha being crushed underneath.

 

Before anyone else could say anything, Minhyuk jumped up and did exactly what Sanha was dreading.

 

“Sanha led a human into the forest!”

 

“It was an accident, I swear! I didn’t know she was there! Please don't take my dinner away, please Eunwoo!”

 

Eunwoo just stood there in shock, he was completely speechless. One of the worst things that could possibly happen, just happened, and it was one of his friend’s fault. His shock swiftly turned to anger, he really just wanted to smack Sanha upside the head and take his meals away for the next year or so. He had to calm himself down before he did anything rash. First he should listen to the boy, get his side of the story before he could dole out any punishment.

 

And so they all sat at the table, and Eunwoo listened to everything that had happened. It was careless of Sanha to have left the forest, but he understood the boy’s curiosity. Nobody could keep him from doing something, it would only make him want to do it even more. He was young and was naturally going to rebel. Eunwoo greatly wanted to give him the harshest punishment he could think of. Instead he settled on giving the boy cleaning duty for the next month.

 

Sanha, of course, was rather displeased, but he was happy that it hadn’t been something worse. But now, all he could think about was the human girl, now trapped in the forest. And it was all because of him.

 

 

Now that Myungjun and Youngmi knew the way they needed to go, they were much more lively than earlier in the day. It was great to know that they would make it to their destination and not worry about being lost, hopefully. Though they didn’t talk much there was no awkwardness between them.

 

Time seemed to pass rather slowly as they leisurely strolled through the vast wood. Youngmi was beginning to wonder if they’d make there before nightfall. She didn’t want to be out and about in the dark, afraid they may come upon some dangerous creature. After knowing that there were pixies and a boy that could shapeshift, she was scared of what other strange things might be out roaming amongst the trees.

 

Youngmi was pulled from her thoughts when without warning (obviously) a rabbit, white as the snow, jumped out into their path. After getting over her initial shock, Youngmi, seeing the animal, began to coo over the tiny adorable thing. She wanted to approach it, but was worried that she might scare it off. She didn’t have to concern herself with that though because it was then that a small wolf, dark as the night, leaped out from behind a bush and tackled the unsuspecting rabbit.

 

Youngmi couldn’t believe her eyes. She was about to witness a poor defenseless bunny get ripped apart. Just like earlier that afternoon, when she had dealt with the fox, the girl reached down to pick up a stick. She needed to help the rabbit.

 

As she grabbed a fallen branch, she watched as the rabbit wiggled free from the wolf’s evil clutches. It took off behind her, and she took the opportunity to run at the wolf so she could give it a good whack with her mighty stick, and hopefully scare the offending animal off.

 

She, however, lost that chance because something, or someone, had grabbed her arm and pulled her back. She was surprised when she saw a boy. And it wasn’t Myungjun. This boy had white hair. From everything that Youngmi picked up in her travels, she came to the conclusion that this boy was the rabbit.

 

Great, she thought to herself. Another shapeshifter.

 

The wolf, that had been saved from Youngmi’s attempted assault, sprinted over to the white haired boy and began gnawing on his leg. In return, the wolf was kicked to the ground. Which left the white haired boy to grab his own leg and start hopping around.

 

“You stupid dog,” he yelled, “that was completely uncalled for!”

 

The wolf, unsurprisingly to Youngmi, had also transformed into a boy. This time with black hair, which corresponded with his fur color.

 

Goodness, are they all going to be boys?

 

“You totally deserved that,” the wolf boy yelled back. “You shouldn’t have dumped cold water on me this morning.”

 

“Yeah well you hogged all the blankets last night. I nearly froze to death.”

 

“Oh quit being overdramatic, with all that fur you wouldn’t have felt a thing. Why would you possibly sleep in your human form anyways,” the black haired boy then crossed his arms, “Stupid rabbit.”

 

“Who you callin’ stupid you stupid dog!”

 

“SHUT UP!”

 

At this, the squabbling pair’s eyes traveled over to the person that had just yelled. And the person in question looked none too happy. The girl was practically seething. She had had enough bickering and fighting for the day, it all was giving her such a headache. No more, she thought, she wasn’t going to deal with it anymore.

 

Her anger, though, was quickly wiped away as the two boys in front of her began giving her puppy dog eyes. A ridiculous sight for two grown men to be doing such a thing, but she fell for it anyways. Youngmi couldn’t deny that they were both attractive. She was dazzled by them and couldn’t take her eyes away. Not until Myungjun hastily waved his hand in front of the girl’s face, drawing her out of her trance.

 

“You kids should be ashamed of yourselves. Fighting when you’re in the presence of a lady.” Myungjun shook his head at the two of them and tsked.

 

“Ashamed? For fighting?,” the white haired boy spoke, “At least we didn’t do something as stupid as bringing a human here.” He was obviously accusing Myungjun of the misdeed.

 

“I did no such thing! It was Sanha.” Myungjun had recalled that Youngmi mentioned seeing a light when he had met her. Clearly it was Sanha, the little dimwit.

 

“Ah that makes sense. He is quite stupid sometimes.”

 

Now that several things had been cleared up, Myungjun turned to Youngmi. He first pointed to the black haired boy, and then the white haired one.

 

“That’s Moonbin and that’s Jinwoo.”

 

“You can call me JinJin though.”

 

“Thanks for interrupting me,” Myungjun stated passive-aggressively. “Anyways, now that everything has settled down, we should probably get home. And the Prince needs to know what happened.”

 

“Eunwoo is sure going to pitch a fit when he finds out about this one.”

 

“If anything, he probably already knows,” this time Moonbin had spoken up, “Unless Sanha decided not to return home tonight.”

 

“Either way, we should get back before it gets dark.”

 

When everyone had finished what they wanted to say, Youngmi began walking, she was tired and wanted a place to rest. She was getting impatient with all the stops they were making.

 

“You’re going the wrong way,” JinJin said.

 

“But it’s to the east.”

 

JinJin pointed to the right, “Yeah, but now it’s to the south.”

 

The girl was confused, but that was nothing new, everything about the place was odd. She decided to take his word for it, not wanting to get lost again. And so the four marched on, this time due south. They would definitely make it in time for dinner, as that was all that was now on the boys’ minds.

 

 

 


A/N: I slightly altered Oh My Girl's Arin's name in case there's anyone not familiar with the group and they don't mistake it for the english pronunciation (aaron/erin/arin).