Warmth

Snowfall

Savoring the sweet, chocolatey goodness that was his cheesecake, Daehyun barely noticed the hours slip by. For the first time in days, he actually felt relief, at peace with his life. Knowing he had to return to Youngjae eventually, if for no other reason than to pack his own bags and leave for good, for some reason the thought didn’t bother him so much anymore. He didn’t need the little cheater and, really, he deserved so much better than someone who would disrespect him the way he had.

 

Making a soft noise of happiness as the treat melted in his mouth, Daehyun glanced up, fork still between his lips, to catch Jongup watching him from the counter. Both men blushed, turning away from each other shyly. Moon Jongup... Daehyun was still unsure how he hadn’t recognized the other man, but yet it wasn’t like he was expecting to run into someone he had thought was dead. Dead... He’d have to remind himself to kick Himchan in the shin for that particular lie the next time he saw him... Who even told a lie like that? Death was no joke and it was less funny when it involved Jongup.

 

Memories flooded him as he thought back on those days so long ago, navigating the darkness of high school as best as they could. Vivid in his mind was the first encounter with Jongup, an actual light in all the shadows that were his classmates.

 

Jung Daehyun felt hands at his back and before he could react, found himself on his knees in the busy hallway, books and papers sprawled out along the corridor. Cursing under his breath, he went to stand only to be met with a kick to his stomach and some derogatory comments about his uality. It wasn’t like he had been hiding that he was gay, he wasn’t ashamed, but to hear it used as a weapon against him was almost more painful that the impact with his abdomen.

 

“Leave him alone.” A voice broke up the chaos and spared him another violent assault as the group moved away, shooting him some threatening words before they disappeared into a classroom. Feet came into his view as Daehyun sat on his knees, holding his stomach and trying to stop his tears from falling. Slowly, the man squatted down beside him, reaching over to rub Daehyun’s back gently.

 

“Thanks...” He managed to mumble, wiping at the tears sliding down his cheeks. “I appreciate it.” The boy smiled softly at him, shaking his head as he fished a pack of tissues out of his backpack, handing them over.

 

“You don’t need to thank me. Are you okay?” The concern in his voice was a foreign concept to Daehyun and took him utterly by surprise.

 

“I think so...” Allowing the stranger to help him to his feet, he lifted his own shirt to inspect the red mark on his skin. “I don’t know what their issue is with me. I haven’t done anything to them.”

 

“Sometimes... Sometimes people are most cruel when facing something they can’t accept within themselves.” Digging in his backpack again, the boy produced some aspirin and a bottle of water. “Here. This might help.”

 

“Thank you, again.” Taking what was offered gratefully, Daehyun gave the other teen a weak smile as the bell rang, telling them to get to class.

 

“No need. Take care of yourself.” Ruffling Daehyun’s hair, the teen grinned as he turned to leave. “Get to class, okay? Those punks wont mess with you again.”

 

Movement beside him startled Daehyun out of his memories as Jongup flopped down in the chair beside him, offering him a fresh mug of cocoa and a bottle of painkillers. Taking them gratefully, he looked the bottle over, reflecting back on their first meeting with a fond smile. Jongup had always been there, back then, when he needed someone most. Why was it that the two had never had any actual form of a relationship outside of those quiet moments of comfort? He was sure it was his own fault. Daehyun had always been so self assured, carrying himself with such a confident air, but around Jongup... Around the other man, his heart was always racing and he felt like he had butterflies in his stomach. He hadn’t even known what it meant to be shy until their first meeting.

 

“What are you thinking about?” Watching him with curiosity, Jongup reached over to move a strand of Daehyun’s hair out of his face. “You have a far away look. It’s cute.”

 

“Jongup... Thank you.” Turning to face him, Daehyun grinned at the blush on the other man’s cheeks at the sudden eye contact.

 

“Stop thanking me. It makes me uncomfortable.” Chuckling, he shook his head and leaned back in his chair. “Go ahead and finish up your cocoa and then we’ll head home, okay?”

 

“It’s that late already?” Glancing at his watch, Daehyun was pleasantly surprised to see what time it was. “Alright. Need any help closing up?”

 

“I’ve got it. You just relax.” With another smile, Jongup was to his feet again, hand resting gently on the top of Daehyun’s head. “Want to grab burgers on the way to my place?”

 

“Please.” Blushing, Daehyun looked up at him. “I’ll pay you back for your hospitality when I get the chance to retrieve my wallet. I promise.”

 

“If I wanted paid back, I wouldn’t have offered to begin with, Daehyun.” Chuckling, Jongup walked off to return to his work. Left alone again, it didn’t take long for Daehyun’s mind to wander to the past once more.

 

Jung Daehyun and Bang Yongguk had been dating for a year. They were meant to be, at least in Daehyun’s eyes. Yongguk had a habit of getting jealous, possessive even, but naive Daehyun saw that as a sign of his devotion. Nothing could break them apart in his eyes. It was meant to be, after all.

 

“Hey Dae.” Yongguk’s deep voice had greeted him that morning, nervous and unsure. It struck Daehyun as odd and began to fill him with anxiety. “Go outside with me, okay?” Nodding, silently he followed in lover to the front steps of the school.

 

“What is it?” It had taken all his nerve to ask that question, more than aware the he probably wouldn’t enjoy the answer.

 

“We need to break up.” Yongguk refused to look at him and Daehyun felt his heart drop. “I’m dropping out of school. I’m going to be a rapper. I’m sorry. I love you, I do. But you don’t fit into my dreams.” Before Daehyun could reply, Yongguk was gone, walking off the campus without so much as a second glance in his direction.

 

It took a moment to process what had been said, to allow himself to accept how easily he had been tossed aside, but when reality hit him, he collapsed to the cold steps beneath him. It was Jongup who came to his side, helped him sit up and dried his tears. The other teen had held him silently, allowing him so sob into his chest. Comforting hands ran through his hair, rubbed his back in an effort to stave off his heartbreak. Neither bothered to speak until his cries finally came to a stop on their own.

 

“He’s an idiot.” Jongup finally whispered, not making a move to pull away as Daehyun rested his head on the teen’s shoulder, emotionally exhausted. “What dreams could he have that would be better off not being shared with you?”

 

“Fame.” Daehyun spit out the word like venom, finally sitting up to come face to face with Jongup. “He wants to be an idol and I’ll only get in the way.”

 

“Well then he’s a bigger idiot than I thought.” Jongup wiped away Daehyun’s tears, sighing heavily. “What’s fame if you hurt someone you claim to love in the process?”

 

“Maybe I’m unlovable?” He hadn’t realized the words had come out of his mouth until he saw the sadness on Jongup’s face.

 

“That is entirely untrue.” A gentle hand found his cheek, causing his heart rate to speed dangerously. Pulling away, Daehyun stood, followed quickly by Jongup.

 

“I should get home. I’m not feeling very well.” Giving Jongup a long look, Daehyun hesitated a moment before hugging the other man tightly, gracing him with a kiss on the cheek. “Thank you.”

 

“Don’t thank me.” Smiling, Jongup reached into his bag, pulling out a package. “Oh. Happy birthday.” In Daehyun’s grief, had he actually managed to forget his own birthday. Before he could respond, Jongup was already retreating into the school, giving him a kind wave on his way inside.

 

Daehyun smiled to himself as he remembered what was inside that package. The stuffed bear still sat on a chair at the apartment, the necklace draped around it’s plush neck. By the time he made it back to school, Jongup was already gone, dead by what Himchan had told him. If he had cried a river over Yongguk leaving him, the loss of Jongup had brought forth a flood of tears. Guilt at never being able to repay the teen that had become his guardian angel had plagued him but now, maybe now he had a second chance.

 

 

“Ready, Daehyun?” Finishing up the last of his closing agenda, Jongup returned to the pretty man’s side, resting a hand lightly on the top of his head.

 

“Huh?” Glancing up at him, Daehyun gave him a breathtaking grin. “Oh. Yeah. I’m ready.” Once the other man stood, Jongup looked him over, well aware his winter attire was more for show than actual protection from the elements.

 

“Hold on.” Shaking his head, he shrugged off his own coat before helping Daehyun do the same. “Here.” With a smile, he handed Daehyun his jacket, thermal gloves, and scarf. Once Daehyun was zipped up, hood pulled over his head to keep him warm, Jongup surveyed him happily. “Perfect.”

 

“I feel like a giant, red marshmallow.” Daehyun complained, a pout forming on his gorgeous lips.

 

“Yeah, but now I don’t have to worry about you catching a cold.” Shrugging, Jongup pulled on Daehyun’s discarded outerwear and reached out to put an arm around his companion’s shoulders. “Besides. It looks really good on you.”

 

“You’re just saying that.” Cheeks pink, Daehyun looked away from him but, Jongup was pleased to notice, seemed to lean into his side comfortably.

 

“We both know I’m not.” Laughing softly, Jongup led him to the cafe’s front door, locking it once they were safely outside. “Burgers and then home?”

 

“That’s the plan.” Arms wrapping around Jongup’s waist, Daehyun grinned and placed his head against the man’s shoulder. “But really it’s up to you. I’m grateful no matter what we do.”

 

“Lets get you fed. Your stomach might die with just cheesecake and cocoa inside of it.” As they walked toward his apartment, Jongup fished his cell phone out of his pants to call the restaurant near his home and order in advance. His memory of Daehyun’s favorite things hadn’t wavered much in all those years and he was relieved to see the approving nod Daehyun gave him when he checked for affirmation that his order was correct.

 

“Hey Jongup...” Daehyun had gotten quiet after a few minutes and when he finally spoke again it almost startled Jongup.

 

“Yeah?” Giving Daehyun’s shoulder a reassuring squeeze, Jongup glanced at him. “What’s up?”

 

“Why’d you hit Youngjae?” The question wasn’t something he thought would need to be asked. Pulling Daehyun closer, Jongup sighed.

 

“He hurt you.” Confessing something so obvious seemed weird to him but he did so anyway, knowing Daehyun needed to hear it. “And I’ve always been prone to protecting you”

 

“Yeah, but why? Like... Why me?” Pausing his steps, he gently turned Daehyun to face him at his last inquiry.

 

“Would you rather I hadn’t?” Raising an eyebrow, he looked the other man in his eyes, wanting to convey his utmost sincerity to the beautiful man.

 

“NO! No. I’m grateful.” Almost shouting the first words, Daehyun reached out hold Jongup’s coat as though he was afraid he’d walk away. “I just... Wasn’t it a waste of time?”

 

“Funny...” Jongup wrapped his arm around Daehyun again as he continued their walk. “This doesn’t feel like a waste of time to me.”

 

“Thank you.” There is was again, that gratitude he never really felt like he deserved.

 

“Haven’t I told you that thanking me isn’t needed?” Smiling, he reached over to ruffle Daehyun’s hair with his free hand. “I don’t do it for gratitude.”

 

“Then why do you do it?” Leaning into him again, Daehyun’s voice didn’t sound nearly as unhappy as it had a moment ago, much to his own relief.

 

“Because you’re Jung Daehyun.” It was the most honest answer he could give. Strolling down the street was hardly the right place to confess that the moment he saw those big, brown eyes and heard that beautiful laugh, he knew he’d do anything to keep him happy. Even if it meant only stepping in when he was most needed.

 

Seeming to accept his reasoning, the two fell into a comfortable silence as they picked up their meals and entered Jongup’s apartment building. Sure, it was a little shabbier than what he was sure Daehyun was used to, the building being fairly old, but the rent was reasonable and it was close to work so he wasn’t embarrassed to call it home. That being said, he was still relieved to see no look of disappointment on his companion’s face as they climbed into the elevator.

 

A sudden realization hit him as he thought about the inside of his apartment, messy and maybe just a little smelly. Closing his eyes, his sighed, knowing it would be rude to ask Daehyun to wait in the hallway while he tidied up. It was embarrassing, though, to have the other man see the disarray he had managed to let his residents slip into.

 

“Um. So...” Breaking the silence between them as the elevator stopped on his floor, Jongup glanced toward his door, stopping just inside the hallway to fish out his keys. “I hope you don’t mind, but... Like... My apartment is an absolute pig sty.”

”So?” Shrugging, Daehyun gave him a soft smile that made his heart flutter a little. “I don’t mind. And if you want, I’ll help clean it up a little.”

 

“I have tomorrow off. We could make a day of it.” Grinning, Jongup unlocked his door and let Daehyun in. “Order pizza and just hang out.”

 

“That actually sounds amazing.” Looking around the apartment, Daehyun didn’t seem to hold any judgment in his eyes. “It’s not as bad as you made it sound, Jongup. Jeeze.” Chuckling he gave Jongup a reassuring nod.

 

“Oh!” Realizing he was being a little rude, he went to the couch and pushed off the few articles of dirty laundry he had deposited there. “Sit. I’ll unpack the food and we can eat. Want to watch a movie?”

 

“Yes, please.” Daehyun sat on the couch as Jongup got their food and sat beside him. “It’s been a while since I really sat down and enjoyed one.”

 

“Well, we’re going to fix that, okay?” Messing up Daehyun’s hair again he allowed the man to cuddle against him as they started to eat. If he could, he would fix everything for Daehyun. Anything and everything.