my ancestors probably meant well

you don't surf

If one could win the award for the "Most Achievement of Wrong Place At A Wrong Time" then Youngjae would have been a champion for many times in a row. He didn't know why he had such a rotten luck; one of his ancestors probably cracked a mirror or forgot to visit the church for seven years straight. Whatever the reasons, Youngjae believed that pretty much every divine beings up there were out to get him.

If his ancestors weren't such klutz he probably wouldn't have found himself in this horrible situation. Said situation was laid sprawled on the cobbled road of the Gangnam district with his jaw throbbing from getting punched by a high school kid. 

Here was Yoo Youngjae, a second year at a college, on the ground because some snot nosed bully several years younger than him socked him in his face. All because Youngjae couldn't keep his judging, disapproving stare to himself. 

What? He couldn't help giving them the look for smoking out in the open, obnoxiously blowing smoke towards people and catcalling random passerby, okay? He was morally upright like that. 

Thankfully the kids lost interest in him after he unceremoniously fell to the ground and it was obvious he wasn't going to put much of a fight so they left him there, all the while jeering and calling him slurs. What a bunch of idiots. Youngjae made no move to get up, weird stares be damned. He was tired from working long hours at the bookstore, his face hurt, he was hungry and his ego (and cheek) was bruised. Footsteps passed by him but one stopped right next to where he was uncomfortably lying. 

"I'm pretty sure nobody would find the pedestrian walk a comfortable place to sleep."

When he heard the voice he found himself frozen stiff. Of course, of all people to find Youngjae in this very disgraceful situation it would be his crush and senior who he usually just admired (and lusted over) from far, Jung Daehyun. Youngjae sighed and closed his eyes, silently willing that this was all just a dream. This was not the impression he'd want to leave on his crush nor the circumstance he wanted to be in when they talked for the first time.

"You okay?" Daehyun squatted next to Youngjae, sounding genuinely concerned at the lack of response and at the visible bruise starting to bloom on the younger boy's cheek.

"Besides my jaw feeling like it would fall off at any moment, yeah, I'm fine." he deadpanned, to which Daehyun grinned. 

"Here, let me help you up." Daehyun held out a hand to Youngjae and he gratefully, very gratefully took it. His crush pulled him up easily with surprising strength, making Youngjae stumble forward and the boy found his face buried in the very firm chest of one Jung Daehyun. 

"Oops, sorry. You're very light." the senior apologised, sounding sheepish and absolutely adorable. He helped Youngjae stood upright and the latter was sure his face was beet red. Never in a million years he thought he'd be able to not just talk to his crush, but also get his face smooshed with said crush's chest. Wow. Guess his ancestors didn't do anything wrong after all.

...

Daehyun had insisted he walked Youngjae to his dorm and, well, who was Yoo Youngjae to deny such a gentlemanly gesture? 

"We need to do something about that bruise," Daehyun remarked as he lightly touched Youngjae's cheek, and the latter almost short circuited. What the hell. Was he this touchy with people?

"Ummm... Junhong's mini bar has a few cans of Coke so I guess we can use that?" 

"That'll do." Daehyun walked to the mini bar to fetch the drink. He bent over as he checked the content of the appliance, giving Youngjae a nice, wonderful view of his bum. Youngjae swallowed. "So this Junhong is your roommate i assume?" 

"Yeah. Dunno if you've seen him around but he's kinda hard to miss, what with his freakish height and puppy face."

"Is he the one who's always with a skateboard and mismatched socks?"

Youngjae cackled. "That's him."

"Oh," Daehyun grins. "He seems interesting."

"You bet." they fell into silence as  the senior tilted Youngjae's face by his chin and lightly presses the cold can on his bruise. Youngjae winced at the contact, Daehyun quietly murmurs an apology. They stayed like that for a while, just looking into each other's eyes. It was cheesy and awkward. Youngjae cleared his throat. "Umm... I got this, thanks." Daehyun blinked in surprise as if he just realized what he was doing, his hand immediately let go of the can as if he was burned. His face looked as if he was burned. 

"Oh, yeah. Yeah. Just. Keep pressing that until the swelling goes away. Ice pack is better so, yeah. I'll just. Leave. Bye" He was looking at everywhere but Youngjae and power walked to the door.

"Wait, Daehyun-ssi." 

"Yeah?" said boy stopped at the threshold, looking back at Youngjae with an expression the latter assumed to be hopeful. God, why was he so adorable? 

Youngjae hesitated, afraid if what he was going to say next would be met with a negative reaction. "You wanna... hang out sometimes? Go out for a drink or lunch or something? I mean it's fine if you don't want to but-"

"Yeah I'd love that," the smile Daehyun gave was blinding and it made Youngjae's heart beat a little faster than normal and he probably could have died but that was alright because hey, they were going to hang out. Youngjae was going to hang out with crush. So he gave an equally blinding smile to Daehyun and that was that.

 

It wasn't until later that day that Youngjae realized he forgot to ask for Daehyun's number.