Talk to Me

By Your Side (Yeah)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Good evening everyone, I am Bae Joohyun, trauma surgeon. Doctor Kim Jennie couldn’t make it today due to some certain circumstances.” Jennie really owed her one. Truth was that Jennie wanted to take her girlfriend (cough, wife), Jisoo, out on a date for their anniversary. 

 


Sigh. Woes of being a single doctor with only ‘collecting fabric conditioner’ on your list of hobbies. It’s not that you hated being single, you just really wanted to go home and relax. But for your friend (one of your few friends you might add), you’d do anything.

 


You remember why you were excited for this seminar earlier and you scan the room of EMTs for a certain bear-like girl. Your face falls once you don’t spot her. Come to think of it, even her partner wasn’t around.

 


“Aren’t you guys supposed to be six?” You ask the crowd while preparing the projector for your lecture.
“Seulgi and Wendy took a call right before shift ended.” One of the EMTs spoke up.

 


“We can’t wait for them.” You check your watch. Seven pm. You had to start or else you’d all end up going home in the crack of dawn. There goes your enthusiasm earlier. 

 


“Let’s start with chest injuries, specifically chest wounds.”

 


“Did someone mention my favorite subject?” You look up to see a harried Seulgi and Wendy bursting into the room.


“We’re so sorry we’re late Doctor- oh!” Wendy looks back at Seulgi with wide eyes before facing you again. “D-doctor Bae.”

 


You don’t mind further why they both looked so surprised to see you. But you do notice how Seulgi’s ears were burning red as she sat down. You stop the smile that was growing, quit your daydreaming Joohyun.

 


“It’s okay, we were just about to start.” Seulgi kept her head bowed even after assuring them everything was okay. “Miss Kang.” This time Seulgi’s finally head snaps up, shocked you called her name.

 


“Y-yes doctor Bae.” She softly answers.

 


“As this is your favorite subject.” You hear the others chuckle and you couldn’t help but smirk a bit. “Why don’t you give us a quick overview on chest wounds?”

 


At that, Seulgi’s back straightens and gone was the shy girl present just a few moments ago. “Occlusive dressing and positive pressure ventilation.” She says with so much confidence.

 


You nod your head. “Good, what if the blood pressure bottoms out?” This time you ask the question to the rest of the group. “What if you observed there was a midline shift in the trachea?”

 


“Tension pneumothorax” Wendy speaks up assertively.

 


“Correct, will you change your treatment Miss Kang?” You look back at Seulgi and lock eyes with her.

 


“Same treatment but this time the corner of the dressing needs to be lifted so air goes out but not in.” Seulgi responds promptly with certainty.

 


“Agreed.” You give her a smile before turning back to your laptop. Looks like the little exercise worked. The whole group looked more relaxed but alert, silently waiting for your lecture.

 


You start discussing about emergency management protocols for chest trauma. It was easy to discuss this as it was a topic you’ve lectured multiple times and something you really loved too.

 


Even though you were one hundred percent concentrated on the topic at hand, you were also highly aware of Kang Seulgi sitting just a few feet away from you. How her eyes would sparkle listening to you. She would sometimes bite on the tip of her pen. And okay this was getting out of hand. You mentally slap yourself out of it.

 


Two hours have passed and you decide to end it there. “Okay that’s all for now. See you guys next Monday for emergency cardiac care.” 

 


Everyone starts shuffling out and you fix all your stuff now excited for your delayed dinner and sleep. 

 


“Here.” Seulgi hands you the papers as she helps you fix up.

 


“Ahh, thank you. It’s okay I can fix up on my own.” You tell her but part of you was honestly happy that she stayed just to help you.

 


“I know.” She chuckles and wow she has a pretty laugh? “I still wanted to help.”

 


“Okay.” You smile sheepishly before getting back to detaching your laptop from the wires while maybe stealing a few glances from Seulgi.

 


She was really pretty. If you could choose a face to live with in your next life? It would definitely be Seulgi’s. You were probably staring for too long as Seulgi catches you and touches her own face.

 


“Is there something on my face?” Seulgi asks comically.

 


You find this as an opportunity and you just go with it instead of thinking about it twice. “Just your beauty.” You tell her, your smile growing as Seulgi’s face transforms into a tomato.

 

 


//

 

 


“Wha- what?” Your jaw uncontrollably drops and you’re left dumbfounded as Joohyun just laughs at you. 

 


“You’re cute Seulgi-ah. Thanks for staying back to help. I have to go now.” And with that Joohyun walks out the room in a confident stride and you’re just standing there still processing what happened.

 


“You should take a photo, it’ll last longer.” Wendy teases you from where she sat. You almost forgot she was still in the room.

 


“Wendy.” You look to her pointing out the room where Joohyun exited. “Did she just…flirt with me?”

 


 “I can’t believe it myself too.” Wendy tells you honestly. “But I think she just did. Wow congratulations Seulgi, I never thought this day would ever come.”

 


“I think my brain just short circuited.” 

 


“Come on, you can think about this more once you get home.” Wendy laughs and pulls you out of your haze.

 


--

 


The smile on your face was uncontrollable as you timed in for work the next day. You even had a slight skip to your steps. You couldn’t help it, the Bae Joohyun just flirted with you. All this time you thought she was another unreachable girl but you’re starting to think otherwise.

 


Maybe you had a chance after all. 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter