One of these Nights

By Your Side (Yeah)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Life used to be simple. You were just a normal EMT trying to do what you loved everyday. All you needed in life was your medical jumpkit and maybe a dog and you could already survive. But all that changed ever since you met Bae Joohyun.


Everything after her was like a rollercoaster. You just didn’t know what you’d get with her now embedded in your life. One moment she kisses you, the next she’s avoiding you. You let out a sigh at that thought.


“What was that deep sigh for this time?” Wendy inquires beside you as you two drive back from the hospital after a minor run. “And don’t try to brush me off saying it’s just your imaginary dog giving you problems again.”


You grunt in reply. “It’s nothing.” It’s definitely not nothing, it’s never nothing when it comes to Joohyun.


“Is this about doctor Bae?” She asks cautiously.


“How’d you guess?” You answer instead.


“It was written all over you face when you asked Sooyoung where the good doctor was at.”


You sigh again. You didn’t get to see Joohyun at the hospital after dropping the patient off. Actually, you haven’t seen her for a whole three days already since the night of the car accident. She’d dodge your calls and say she was busy in an operation which was also what Sooyoung told you earlier when you asked about her.


You weren’t a very needy person, you were patient even. But you knew when a person was avoiding you and it was frustrating because you didn’t have any idea on why.


“My mind’s just jumbled I guess. One day we were out on the greatest date night of my life and the next it’s like we’ve reverted back to how we treated each other before the date.”


“So she’s avoiding you?”


“Pretty much. I know she’s a busy doctor but I can sense when I’m being dodged.”


“So what are you going to do about it?”


“I don’t know Wendy. I’ve tried contacting her in every way I can but nothing ever works.”


“Do you still want this? This thing with doctor Bae?”


That got you thinking. Actually, you didn’t have to think too much about it, the answer was even automatic to you.


“It’s everything I would ever want and need in my life.”


“Then don’t give up.”


“But what if she doesn’t want this, whatever this is we have? Maybe that’s why she’s avoiding me like the plague.” She probably knew right away after kissing you that she didn’t like you after all. Or maybe she never liked you in the first place and this was just a one-sided thing the whole time.


“Is that really how you think doctor Bae is like? Be honest.”


You nibble on your lower lip. Wendy was right, that was stupid and insecure of you to think. 


“No, she’s better than that. So much more.” You admit out loud.


“So what are you going to do about it now?”


“Not give up.”


“Now that’s the Seulgi I know and raised.” You look at Wendy and catch her smirking and you roll your eyes.


“I’m still older than you Wannie.”


“And yet you call me hyung.”


You chuckle. “It fits, doesn’t it?”


“Shut up and drive fake dongsaeng.”


“Roger, hyung.”


You laugh as Wendy groans and drops her head on the dashboard. You two may tease each other like this but Wendy didn’t know how much she helped you clear your mind up. It wasn’t as foggy anymore and you still didn’t know what to do but this was a start.

 

//

 

Coffee, that was what you needed right now. Maybe it was all you were taking for the past days but whatever, you needed the caffeine in your body. If you could make that coffee patch you saw from an animated movie before? You’d probably have multiple ones taped all over your body.


“Unnie? Don’t you think you’re drinking too much coffee?” Sooyoung inquires beside you with a worried look on her face. You frown and look away, everyone seems to be giving you that same look at lot these days and it made you sick to your stomach.


“The limit per day is five cups Sooyoung, you’re a docor, you should know that.”


You hear her humph. “It would be okay if you would actually take in something other than coffee into your system. You’re the senior doctor, you should know that.”


“Is that how you talk to your senior doctor?” You ask with a hint of annoyance, you didn’t know why you were biting everyone’s heads off. Can’t they just leave you alone?


“I’m talking to you right now as a friend.” She softens and that makes you calm down in turn.


“Sorry, I was acting like a again.”


“What’s new?” Sooyoung chuckles lightly.


You send her a glare and she just waves it off. “Seriously unnie, what’s wrong? You’ve been overworking yourself for a whole three days.”


You feel yourself tense up again at her inquiry. “It’s nothing.” You try to brush her off. “I’m just doing my job.”


“Doing your job doesn’t include having one hour of sleep per day unnie. You’re going to be one of the patients on the bed soon if you continue this behavior.”


Maybe it was the coffee again but you didn’t have the patience to deal with conversations like these. “I have to go Sooyoung, I have a job to do.”


Sooyoung just sighs in defeat then but you don’t mind her further and go back into the emergency room. This was your job, you were doing nothing wrong. You try to convince yourself as you gather the patient records from Yerim and check on each patient.


Overworking yourself wasn’t a problem. It was all part of your job.


--


“Joohyun, a word please.” Lee Sooman, the chief doctor, suddenly calls for your attention. You scowl in thought of why he would need to talk with you but you follow him instead because he was still your boss whether you liked it or not (and you definitely hated it).


He leads you to a patient’s room, you take a small glance inside and notice there were two patients lying on their beds inside. Doctor Lee heads inside after knocking and you follow behind. 


“Beautiful doctor! You’re finally here!” A voice calls out and you felt tingles wrack your body. Oh god no, that voice was similar, it was steadier this time and not slurred but it instantly dampened your bad mood further.


You hated it when you were right, you thought as you stood in the middle of the room with your chief doctor and come face to face with the two previously drunk boys you helped out during the car accident. They had a few bandages and one of them had his arm in a sling but other than that they seem to be doing okay.


“Doctor Bae, I want you to apologize to these two men.” Doctor Lee commands and you look at him with a look of surprise.


“Apologize? For what sir?” You ask incredulously. What were you supposed to apologize for? 


“For taking my blood without my permission.” The cocky patient butts in while tapping the part of his arm where you withdrew blood.


You scoff before replying. “Without permission my .”


“Language, doctor.” Sooman states sternly and you grit your teeth harder.


“We both know that I did ask for your consent and you agreed.” You say coldly but it seems to not affect the patient at all.


He just shrugs and smirks. “I’m sorry, I don’t remember.”


“That’s because you were under the influence of alcohol you idiot! Do you have any idea how many people almost died and did die because of you?!” You could feel the tears stinging at the back of your eyes at the mention of the previous patients but you stopped them, you weren’t going to cry in front of these ungrateful bastards. You watch as the patient swallows and bows his head down.


“That’s enough doctor Bae.” Sooman pulls you out of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter